Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 09-20-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I'd rather have Harry Douglas than Mario Urrutia.
you will find many other players like harry douglas in the draft but very few like mario urrutia
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I'd be surprised if douglas didn't get drafted a full round ahead of mario. you can have all the physical talent in the world, but anyone who watches the games will tell you that douglas is twice the natural receiver that mario is (even if he is half the size).
Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Oh I'm well aware that Doug is the better receiver and he's a guy I would like us to look at, BUT, a freak like Mario doesn't come around too often, he'd be a great mismatch guy for us. I mean I'm not saying he's Calvin by any stretch, but his size gives us good match ups. He didn't go for many Louisville guys in this years draft...UDFAs sure, but that makes sense. But will Mario and Brohm be too attractive for him to pass up? You can tell he's pissed off about the offense, he wants to fix it. So, why not go with guys like those 2? We have Robinson and Roddy...we need a mismatch guy...Jenkins COULD have been him, but he's decided he doesn't want to go up and make the plays for us. So, we need that guy. Looks like Roddy is going to go by traditional WR numbers and wait til year 3 to finally do something. He's been holding onto the ball and I've been very happy with his play. Robinson has little to no pressure on him because of his spot on the depth chart and his 3rd round draft status instead of first round status like Roddy and Jenkins. He's also a very natural player at the position and he catches the ball away from his body how you're supposed to.

Those 2 WRs give us great starters we need that big slot guy. But then also we can't forget about defense. It's great right now, BUT...we're getting old...we need a MLB badly, we need a NT badly. We can't let those 2 positions drop or the talent everywhere else on our defense is negated.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dude even if we got a guy who gives us match up advantages, we wouldnt use him properly (cough norwood cough)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't find many guys like Harry Douglas in the draft. That is a fast WR, who is not as small as advertised height wise (5'11/ 175) and runs sharp routes and catches almost anything thrown his way. Most small recievers stature wise don't go over the middle and often time drop passes or run sloppy routes. Harry doesn't do that. He is a pretty sharp receiver.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I havent had a chance to watch Douglas play that much but he is too small for me only 175. If we do draft a WR next year I would love to get one of the those 6'5 guys for some red zone help.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We haven't been in a position to use Norwood 'appropriately' we've been stuck in positions to try to just move the ball down the field little by little until we can put some points up...and be in a position to be aggressive.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

douglas is a standout wide receiver and its unfortunate that he doesnt play in a more competitive conference where his skills can be better appreciated. although measurements are important, a wr needs to have a natural knack for the position and douglas has that. hes shifty and plays as if hes bigger than he really is. just look at steve smith and then ashley lelie.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Thing is, it's rather irrelevant, since we'd be nuts to draft a receiver in the 2nd round. We have too many holes to plug, and WR is suddenly starting to look respectable.

Roddy has started his 3rd year well, Robinson has shown plenty of promise, Jenks is a pretty good slot guy, and Horn can still make plays. Maybe we'll be looking for a 2nd day steal, and we may even look first day in a year or two, but I really can't see us picking up a receiver first day this year.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Never know...I mean we all know we have a lot of needs, but we may find a big time faller out of the first round into the 2nd, and having 2 2nd round picks...it could be worth it...
Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Another 200 yards for Douglas. But 2 picks, and a loss, for Brohm. Advantage Woodson... let's see how he deals with arkansas.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how long do we have horn under contract?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Kentucky is going to lose to Arkansas. Also you fail to mention what 400+ yards and 4 TDs for Brohm who was forcing trying to keep his team in a game that should have never been close if they had ANY form of a defense. I like both...the more I see the more I want either one so it doesn't matter, but no need to knock Brohm since he's playing lights out.

Horn's contract was 2 or 3 years I forget.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Today's game against Carolina makes me want McFadden even more.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would you want to draft a QB when you have Joey Harrington LOL. He did play lights out today. It would be so funny if he kept this up all season.

Last edited by Stash : 09-23-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Any QB can play well when he gets all the time in the world. I'll hold of judgment until he plays well when he has some pressure in his face. That said, it was a pleasant surprise. Shame about the defense...
Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am back on Brohm's bandwagon. I think his college experience and very sound throwing motion and footwork are going to be very good tools at the next level. And heres something I found at the afmb:

"If we're going by defensive team rankings, in particular secondaries, then Brohm has faced the better competition. Top 50 secondaries that Brohm has faced:

#2 Rutgers - 1 TDs, 0 INTs, 1 Rushing TD
#7 Pittsburgh - 4 TDs, 0 INTs
#14 UConn - 1 TDs, 2 INTs
#15 Utah - 4 TDs, 0 INTs
#16 WVU - 2 TDs, 2 INTs
#22 Kentucky - 2 TDs, 1 INT

So thats 6 top 25 secondaries and Brohm compiled 14 TDS, and 5 INTs.

Andre Woodson
#6 LSU - 3 TDs, 2 INTs
#18 Vandy - 1 TD, 0 INTs
#25 UGA - 1 TD, 1 INTs

So thats 6 TDs, 3 INTs against top 25 secondaries. "

I dont know if you can really count the whole schedule thing against him.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I love the kid and have him at 4 in my rankings.

1. Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
2. Jake Long, OT Michigan
3. Brian Brohm, QB Louisville
3. Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU

Very gritty performance against Rutgers. Made some plays by breaking tackles, making plays with his legs, and was smart with the ball.

And that throw to Harry Douglas at the end of the game was great. Very difficult throw to squeeze in there.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

For me, there are two conflicting considerations:

1. I think that Brohm is a guaranteed solid QB in the Petrino scheme. He might never be Marino or Manning, but I doubt that he'll be worse than Hasselbeck or pre-injury Pennington. He'll always give his team the opportunity to win games. In my book, that guarantee is worth top 5 value.

2. On the other hand, there are enough doubts about Brohm - mainly regarding scheme, and the fact that Woodson and Ryan have higher upsides in an upside-obsessed league - to push him down the draft. In that case, it would be remiss not to explore the possibility of moving around the draft, especially since we could still get an elite talent at the top of the draft.

If we could get either Long or McFadden at #3 - both of whom would greatly help a new QB - it would become a question of how long we could wait before jumping up to get Brohm.

To an extent, what I'd be willing to give up would depend on what we got in the 1st. If we take Long, I think we can give up both 2nds to move up to around #15-20. We can get a more-than-capable power complement to Norwood in the second day or FA.

If we get McFadden, I think we have to retain at least one of the 2nd rounders to draft an OT. In that scenario, we might have to look at future picks. I'd HATE to give up a future 1st - look how that worked out for the Niners. However, a future 2nd would be more tolerable. The risk factor is significantly less. A current and future 2nd should be capable of getting us up to around #20, which should be enough.

That, in my mind, would be ideal. Coming out of this draft with McFadden, Brohm and, say, Chris Williams, would be fantastic, even at the loss of a 2nd next year.

Of course, the risk is that someone takes Brohm before he gets down into that territory. That would suck, and would leave us with a much more risky prospect for the vital QB position.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I could see Jamaal Anderson moving to DT if Long is the clear-cut top value.