Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC South Division Forum

NFC South Division Forum Discuss the NFC South

Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFC South Smack Talk Thread

Post your analysis of the other teams in the division here. Be mindful of the rules. Direct your hatred of, say, the Buccaneers at the actual team and no one poster in particular. Debate the argument, not the poster.

My general thoughts to start this behemoth are:

Bucs: The Buccaneers' offense will look better, but not great. I do like Cadillac for a bounce back. The O-Line will be better. I just don't like Garcia, I think he will play like he did in Cleveland and Detroit. Certainly not what he did last year. I don't think Gruden has confidence in him either, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to convince Plummer to play. Their defense has slowly and surely been went from a strength in the Dungy era to a weakness in the Gruden regime. What few defensive players they have from "the glory days" are well past their prime and on the slippery slope to retirement. They have some young pieces on this unit, but it seems like a year in transition at the very least.

Panthers: I'm not sure what this team does well. First of all you have to love Smith and Peppers, that's obvious. I like Kris Jenkins, I like the athletic LB corp. (when Morgan is actually healthy, which is never) and I like DeAngelo Williams. My problem is with Jake Delhomme, John Fox and that secondary. First off Delhomme's erratic play kept them from being a playoff team last year and I think it's to the point where he is what he is. Why John Fox is so insistent on giving Foster the nod is beyond me, Williams' in my mind should be the feature back with Foster riding the pine for most of the game. On defense their secondary underachieved last year, Gamble regressed, Lucas was on and off again hurt, Marshall actually outplayed them both. Their safeties are still terrible. Speaking of terrible, their LT is Travelle Wharton, which makes all the other division opponents (Adams, Smith and Abraham) very happy he is still the starter.

Saints: I don't think Thursday's travesty is an indication of how their offense is going to perform. They have too much talent and Sean Payton does make adjustments. Drew Brees, in particular, I haven't seen him play that way since he was in San Diego back before they drafted Rivers to replace him. I'm not crazy about the O-Line, but they should play better going forward. That being said, I think Thursday's game was a strong indication of things to come for that defense. Quite frankly it is horrible. They are starting Antwan Lake at DT! He was a reserve D-Lineman for Atlanta, even when the team was the worst team in the league against the run. How he is starting is ridiculous. Their linebackers are mediocre at best; the secondary is even worse than that. In fact they would love to be called mediocre!

Falcons: This just has been the worst off-season imaginable. I came to the realization that Michael Vick was never going to be a transcendent QB in the NFL last year, he was a below average passer that "made up for it" with his legs. With him the team was staring at mediocrity and inconsistency. I would still take that over Harrington, one pre-season performance against the sad sap Bengals' secondary aside. The defense should be solid, they could even be great if the young guys in the secondary get it together. On offense it is a rebuilding year for sure. The team lacks a forceful north-south runner to compliment Dunn/Norwood, the receivers are inconsistent and unproven, the team has a horrible LT and Harrington's track record is not good. I think, unfortunately, Atlanta has the makings of a 5-6 win team in '07. The only chance otherwise is if Harrington magically becomes Joey "Heisman" again.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:29 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't say enough how mad I am with the Saints for starting both Antwan Lake and Mark Simoneau on defense. Our starting DT's should be Hollis Thomas at NT and Kendrick Clancy playing the gap. Then have Brian Simmons playing the Mike. I don't know we kept Thomas on our roster if we aren't going to play him and I also don't know why we went after Brian Simmons if all he is going to do is back up Mark Simoneau.
Also, our defense should be more zone based. Our corners just do not have the speed or physicality to play man coverage. It irritates me when the answers are so obvious yet the coaching staff is trying to prove a point. "Hollis showed up at camp overweight so we're going to punish him." "Mark Simoneau looked great in camp so he's starting." All of that is b.s. Who continually collapsed the pocket last year and demanded double teams which in turn freed up Brian Young to get sacks and pressure the passer? Hollis Thomas. Who wore down as the season progressed and is just a mediocre MLB at best? Mark Simoneau.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Post your analysis of the other teams in the division here. Be mindful of the rules. Direct your hatred of, say, the Buccaneers at the actual team and no one poster in particular. Debate the argument, not the poster.
Thanks for the love Shiver.

But anyway, here is how I see each team in the NFC South.

Buccaneers: The team is in somewhat of a rebuilding phase but with the signings of Carter, Garcia and Petitgout one really has to question Grudens motives. The defense saw an infusion of talent with Adams, Piscitelli, Black and Jackson all potential future starters but until they acclimatise to the NFL the Bucs will have another mediocre year. The Achilles heel of recent seasons, the O-Line, is substantially improving and will be a great help this season but with a 37 year old QB and no real star at backup (although McCown and Gradkowski are intriguing), the Bucs probably won't improve by leaps and bounds. If Cadillac can get it going again, that would be a great help.

Saints: Great offense, despite not getting it going against Colts. Colston, Brees, Bush, Henderson and McCallister are great and the offensive line is going to improve as the year goes on providing the Saints with the ability to score points. However the defensive side of the ball is another story. They have possibly the best pair of ends in the game, but their interior line is horrible and really needs to be addressed. The secondary and linebacking corp aren't much better either. If they can improve the defense they will be a tough team to beat.

Panthers: The panthers are a team I really don't know how to gauge. On one hand I could see the likes of Smith and Foster/Williams dominating, but on the other hand, Delhomme's inconsistency could really hurt their offense. Their defensive line is well above average and Peppers is a beast, their LB corp is great and so are their top 3 CB's with safety the only real problem for Carolina's defense. If they can get it all together and play consistently they could do some damage.

Falcons: Finally the Falcons. They had a horrendous off-season. I bet they are regretting the Schaub trade now. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect from the team. Harrington is starter by default and behind him there is very little to be happy about. Their defense is average and they will play a crucial role in keeping them in games this year. I am really intrigued to see how they adjust to an offense without Vick who was a game breaker. Maybe Petrino will be able to create some magic but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa whoa whoa guys. Keep the smack talk clean.

Jeez.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know. I trashed the Panthers pretty hard.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This division looked bad this week. Carolina was okay, but the rest? Ugh.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Atlanta would have fared way better against Minnesota. If they don't get their act together then they might have the season many are expecting.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Brian Brohm: First off I'd like to say how excited to be reunited with coach Petrino. Being the #1 overall pick is exciting, in and of itself, but coming into this situation is truly something special. I'm excited to get into camp and take steps to become the face of the franchise and leader of this team.

Rich McKay: To me this was clearly the correct decision. Anytime you have the first pick in the draft there is inherent risk. So whenever you can add a player whom the coaching staff is already familiar with it is a tremendous advantage. Obviously this team is in desperate need of a leader, on and off the field. With Brian he combines great play with great character.

Bobby Petrino:
Obviously were excited to work with Brian again. He brings tremendous leadership to our team. He brings everything you look for in a Quarterback. He is already fluent in our terminology and the majority of our play-book. He will come in from day-1 and will take this team to where we want to be.

Rich McKay: Now I will open this up to questions.

Terrence Moore: How do you envision Brian Brohm playing in the shadow of Michael Vick?

Rich McKay: Brian Brohm is our Quarterback, period. We will not talk about that situation, not now, not ever.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

add in:

McKay = "The cap room Vick freed up will allow us to put some people in who will actually pass protect for Brohm as well as re-sign guys like DeAngelo [Hall] and Demorrio [Williams]. Vick on the other hand has no shadow on the team. He was a lockerroom cancer and is now gone. anymore questions about Vick shall cease and desist."

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

That would be a good one.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Maybe after the big turd the Saints laid on the field defensively against the Colts it will finally convince Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis to draft an impact defensive player in the 1st Round rather than the 2nd or 3rd Rds.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man. I want Brohm so much. I am hearing so many good things about him. Add on to the fact that he already is familiar with the system...He could be our Carson Palmer.

He seems like a good kid who could become the face of the Falcons.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You aren't the only team who is in the mix for him. If the Bucs have a shot at him he would be a legitimate selection.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Yeah I know. I would be pretty pissed if you guys got him.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Maybe after the big turd the Saints laid on the field defensively against the Colts it will finally convince Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis to draft an impact defensive player in the 1st Round rather than the 2nd or 3rd Rds.
You mean drafting a WR, only to "redshirt" him, isn't going to help the football team in the here and now?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Quote:
It would be nice, wouldn't it? Puz would've looked so good in a Saints jersey. Or even Chris Houston.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Houston looks good in Black and Red, so it's going to haunt you...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
But NOOOOOOOOOO, all I remember hearing was how Meachem was the "BPA" after the draft. I said it then and I'll say it now: Meachem was a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad pick. We needed defensive help.

The Colts game was simply a bad game for our offense, for whatever reason; that side of the ball will be fine. However, our defense will continue to stink it up throughout the season and once again be the reason why we come up short. We just don't have the guys in the secondary or at linebacker (aside from Fujita), and the run stopper that we DO have is riding pine. ******* awesome.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with your analysis TPFKA. I thought it was absurd for the Saints to draft anyone on offense with their lack of talent at DT, LB and CB. Of course 99% of the posters on this board bashed me for saying they should have went CB no matter what. Chris Houston would've been exactly the physical and athletic man corner they needed, but now you guys are stuck with Jason David, Fred Thomas & Mike McKenzie (to a lesser degree) for another year. What happened to that guy who said Usama Young was the best thing since sliced bread and will start immediately? Those moments were enjoyable.

Without overreacting too much over the opening weekend, the Panthers will edge out the Saints by a game or two for the title. They seem committed to running the ball and Foster's play is a bonus since I figured DeAngelo would get the bulk of the carries. I still expect some inconsistency from Delhomme and the passing offense but right now it seems they have an identity on offense and enough talent on defense to squeak out some close victories. From what i remember the Panthers have an easy stretch to end the season and they could come from behind to close out the year as divisional champs quite easily (they're ahead now, though).

The Bucs & Falcons suck, so who cares. We'll just argue over what colors make Brian Brohm look the cutest.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
The Bucs & Falcons suck, so who cares. We'll just argue over what colors make Brian Brohm look the cutest.

Pewter is the color of choice for a pansy.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pewter is the color of choice for a pansy.
Red & Black are the colors of a dead dog...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-13-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Was that a veiled Michael Vick reference? Oh how clever of you.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Was that a veiled Michael Vick reference? Oh how clever of you.
Nice avatar. Wanna spread the love and let me have one?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

We have an elite ruling class here, so no you may not have one.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
We have an elite ruling class here, so no you may not have one.
Screw elitism. I haven't had an infraction in over a week. That's more than enough to merit an avatar.

sig by BoneKrusher