Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The real question this season is how high will the Cle picks be. After week one...it looked like a top 3 pick. But lets be honest they just beat the Bengals who are arguably a playoff team in the AFC. I'm not saying they are a wild card team...esspecially in that division. However Some of us pegged them in that 8-12 range pick wise and it looks like that is still a chance.

Now if we have a top 5 pick we need to go for the homerun. If that means McFadden or if that means Desean or if that means Long you do it...(barring these players have top 5 grades).

Now if we are picking 6-12 I think this opens up or pick window. Outside of Justin King there isn't a CB that has a chance at the top 5. And unless the underclassman really impress....it doesn't look like a CB will go in the top 10 either. I mean when your top senior prospect is a guy out of UCF and wasn't even on the radar pre-season there is a problem with the senior class. So lets take CB out of the equation here.

As far as top 10 players I think we have a pretty good idea at guys who will be there.

Calais Campbell, Chris Long, Sam Baker, Kenny Phillips, Andre Woodson, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis(if he continues his play). I'm probably missing a couple of guys but this looks like guys that are all destine for a top 10 pick come draft day.

Well out of this list only three guys come to mind as a major upgrade. Campbell has a chance to be our Richard Seymore if he can put it all together. Kenny Phillips could be something really special in our secondary. Chris Long is my personal favorite....he should put up Carriker like numbers and with his production look for him to be available.

Bottomline is we are coming out with a player who will start on a good team. Which is huge...but the question is will it be that elite player or will it just be a good player.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting article about ronnie brown, and he had a standout quote that i wanted to repost

Quote:
Cameron also went of his way to point out how "young" Brown is as a runner - he never topped 175 carries in any of his four years at Auburn, and hasn't had 250 carries in an NFL season - and how much Brown still needs to learn.

But Brown once again is hearing the same criticism that he heard at Auburn, when he shared the backfield with Carnell "Cadillac" Williams: He's too soft. He can't hit the hole. He's out of shape. He can't handle 25 carries a game.

And Brown is tired of it.

"I think that's just speaking of ignorance," he said. "Until a situation happens and I prove that I can't do it, that's one thing. But to say that someone is not capable of doing something before they actually go out and do it, that's a whole different situation."

Like in

reminds me alot of Barber, and brown hit it right on the head, thats speaking of ignorance to say someone cant do something when they have never been given the opportunity to do it if crazy, and whatever basis u try to use doesnt hold much weight imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Marion the Barbarian sick nickname kinda reminds me of that one show Dave the Barbarian on Disney a couple years back good times good times
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Marion the Barbarian beasting the bears game. The guy simply refuses to go down!
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Marion the Barbarian beasting the bears game. The guy simply refuses to go down!
On 3rd and 1 I don't want to see his feet chopping behind the line I want to see him punching it right into the back of the OL....he almost got stopped early in this game. I would really like to see him improve. Like madden said 10-26 on 3rd and 4th and ones isn't a good number.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im tellin ya, the guy is a beast.

17 carries a game, watch what he can do with it.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Interesting article about ronnie brown, and he had a standout quote that i wanted to repost

reminds me alot of Barber, and brown hit it right on the head, thats speaking of ignorance to say someone cant do something when they have never been given the opportunity to do it if crazy, and whatever basis u try to use doesnt hold much weight imho
I never said that I don't think Marion can carry the load, just that if his carries increase too much that he won't be nearly as effective as he is in his current role. I believe that Marion could carry the load and be at the least an average starter in this league, but there is no way our running game could be as effective as it is now.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well consider me in the minority, but I can see Barber being Joseph Addai like in our offense if given the chances and opportunity, but im fine with him getting 17 carries a game, he looked great vs the Bears, he actually knows how to break tackles, and it doesnt matter who we play, he shows up every week

Quote:
Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
On 3rd and 1 I don't want to see his feet chopping behind the line I want to see him punching it right into the back of the OL....he almost got stopped early in this game. I would really like to see him improve. Like madden said 10-26 on 3rd and 4th and ones isn't a good number.
Funny enuff this is his only real negative. I hate it too BUT ....

He also breaks a big one doing it that way. It is like it suckers all the D to a point and then bam he goes another way.

I remember a guy called Sanders who had similar issues. Maybe not a 4th and inches guy but man I love Marion.

He gets one of those runs and all of a sudden the Offense picks up and the opposing D gets down. Happened last two weeks in tight games.

I will say it again, put another 15 pounds of muscle and he so reminds me a Bettis. Just a bruiser to gets off big runs with his quick little feet.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So.....we should give Leonard Davis a chance to play QB? He hasn't proven that he can't do it, who says that we shouldn't give him the opportunity? Maybe Folk would be a great LB!

That's nonsense. The facts are that opportunities in this league are hard to come by. Sometimes you never get a shot, sometimes you only get one.

You have to show enough to give a reasonable indication that you are capable before you get the chance. If Barber keeps getting 100 yards a game with less than 20 carries, and leading the league in TDs and ypc, then I'm pretty sure he'll get that chance at some point. You have to be impressed with what he did last night, that's for damn sure.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Silly me. I sat him on my fantasy squad cause we were playing the Bears. He only went off for 23 fantasy points... luckily I still won. Bottomline... my head told me to sit him, but he doesn't care who he's facing, he will ground and pound any defense to get the job done. That TD run on that swing pass was one for the ages. That was big time football right there.

The last thing we need is to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Silly me. I sat him on my fantasy squad cause we were playing the Bears. He only went off for 23 fantasy points... luckily I still won. Bottomline... my head told me to sit him, but he doesn't care who he's facing, he will ground and pound any defense to get the job done. That TD run on that swing pass was one for the ages. That was big time football right there.

agreed to both points, i have portis and alexander ahead of him so i sat him the past 2 weeks, and like you said he doesnt care who he faces, and i cant even remember the last time he didnt score...but i made sure i got him in the draft, i took him 2nd rd and watched people laugh who took MJD or jacobs before him so im loving it now

and i agree with the rb pick, we have so many other needs we can fill, id rather get a speed back in the 3rd or 4th something like leon washington, and use the higher picks on D line, CB, wr

Quote:
Old 09-24-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I didn't think Barber would have the success he had against the Bears either. I'm continually impressed with him, which isn't easy to do as I have already liked the guy for some time and love to watch him play.

For all the talk about re-signing Romo, also to be considered is signing MBIII long-term as well, perhaps. He's a restricted free agent after this season I believe, so there's still time.

The Cowboys are going to let Julius Jones walk in free agency, I would have to think, so either Tyson Thompson steps up as the back-up/change of pace or the team looks to draft another back ... though not in the 1st or 2nd round, as D said.

Last edited by Geo : 09-24-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
I will say it again, put another 15 pounds of muscle and he so reminds me a Bettis. Just a bruiser to gets off big runs with his quick little feet.
Will I get any love????????????? Not but I almost died laughing.

Rams DT La'Roi Glover, a media favorite during his days in Dallas, chatted with local reporters on a conference call today. He was asked if Marion "The Barbarian" Barber, the backup RB who is producing like a Pro Bowler, reminds him of anybody.

"Wow! Maybe a smaller Jerome Bettis I guess," Glover said. "Yeah, a smaller Jerome Bettis. He's got a very strong stiff arm. He's got the ability to run guys over, and he's got the ability to make people miss as well. His forte is sort of running with power, running with his pads behind him and trying to punish people."
Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Will I get any love????????????? Not but I almost died laughing.

Rams DT La'Roi Glover, a media favorite during his days in Dallas, chatted with local reporters on a conference call today. He was asked if Marion "The Barbarian" Barber, the backup RB who is producing like a Pro Bowler, reminds him of anybody.

"Wow! Maybe a smaller Jerome Bettis I guess," Glover said. "Yeah, a smaller Jerome Bettis. He's got a very strong stiff arm. He's got the ability to run guys over, and he's got the ability to make people miss as well. His forte is sort of running with power, running with his pads behind him and trying to punish people."
Still, I don't like the comparison just because Glover said it. Bettis would kill for the flexibility and juke ability that Marion has. Marion can stop on a dime and make a cut. Bettis was just a north south bowling ball. Only resemblance is the bone crushing contact. Barber's power comes from muscle, passion, effort and leverage. Bettis' power came from his weight.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Still, I don't like the comparison just because Glover said it. Bettis would kill for the flexibility and juke ability that Marion has. Marion can stop on a dime and make a cut. Bettis was just a north south bowling ball. Only resemblance is the bone crushing contact. Barber's power comes from muscle, passion, effort and leverage. Bettis' power came from his weight.
Jerome had great feet and was an elusive FB. How you think he made it so many years.

Also want to point out Jerome was dissed early on in his career until he found a team that understood how to use him.

Regardless, ya'll luv to kill me but I got something to say ......... and I like to hear other saying the same given the abuse I get here sometimes.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1st in Total TD's (Tied, RB's)
12th in rushing yards
1st with average yards per rush.(with 40 or more carries)
Fumbles Lost: 0(in 3 years)

Yeah, I like him :)
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not entirely sure we shouldn't draft McFadden for the simple fact that Marion (who is a RFA after this year and URFA after next) may want HUGE dollars. He may also get a stupid offer from a team after this year that we wouldn't want to match because he's never been a full time starter. It's certainly not a foregone conclusion that we do resign him if his asking price is rediculous.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Perhaps we'll tender him like the Chargers did w/ Turner for next season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
I'm not entirely sure we shouldn't draft McFadden for the simple fact that Marion (who is a RFA after this year and URFA after next) may want HUGE dollars. He may also get a stupid offer from a team after this year that we wouldn't want to match because he's never been a full time starter. It's certainly not a foregone conclusion that we do resign him if his asking price is rediculous.
He does have Rosenhaus as his agent after all. This is why I'd give him the starting job. If he can handle it, pay him, if he can't, take the McFadden Route or another scenario.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Perhaps we'll tender him like the Chargers did w/ Turner for next season.
I'd franchise him. I can see other teams using poison pills against us.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some think we may Franchise Tony.

I just want to lock him up already.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I may be in the minority again, but I say sign MB3 before McFadden. I'd do that every day of the week. No way he asks for more than what DMAC would get with his rookie contract being in the 60M+ range.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I may be in the minority again, but I say sign MB3 before McFadden. I'd do that every day of the week. No way he asks for more than what DMAC would get with his rookie contract being in the 60M+ range.
I want both. :)

Best one, two punch in NFL history.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Some think we may Franchise Tony.

I just want to lock him up already.
I hear ya. I've heard this too. But the one thing I love about Romo is his passion for the game. In every interview, you can see how much he cares about playing the game. He loves Dallas for sticking with him and giving him the chance to play. I think he has too much loyalty and won't test the FA market. I just hope Jerry can give him a respectable contract offer.