Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I want both. :)

Best one, two punch in NFL history.
...and with Free run blocking, they'll be limited to running only on the right side of the field. Big whoop. Skewed logic. Typical fancy car living in the projects scenario.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
...and with Free run blocking, they'll be limited to running only on the right side of the field. Big whoop. Skewed logic. Typical fancy car living in the projects scenario.
Northern Illinois is a run heavy school...Michael Turner, Garret Wolfe...A lot of Wolfe's success has to be credited to Free's run blocking. His run blocking was greatly underrated in scouting reports...he's not a dominant guy but, he is effective in his craft. He's also gained more strength since his college days. Before the 06 season his run blocking was never questioned. In fact he was considered by many to be one of the nations best run blockers...the stress fracture def. effected him there but, that's all healed up.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Northern Illinois is a run heavy school...Michael Turner, Garret Wolfe...A lot of Wolfe's success has to be credited to Free's run blocking. His run blocking was greatly underrated in scouting reports...he's not a dominant guy but, he is effective in his craft. He's also gained more strength since his college days. Before the 06 season his run blocking was never questioned. In fact he was considered by many to be one of the nations best run blockers...the stress fracture def. effected him there but, that's all healed up.
Have you ever seen the opponents Northern Illinois has faced? I wouldn't necessarily call that competition.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the opponents Northern Illinois has faced? I wouldn't necessarily call that competition.
IIRC Wolfe ran roughshod over tOSU the year when they went to the NC game.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
IIRC Wolfe ran roughshod over tOSU the year when they went to the NC game.
I've seen IIRC... what the heck does that mean?

Are you attributing Wolfe's success solely to Free? I know you're smarter than that. The fact that NFL scouts and GMs let Free slide to Round 4 is pretty telling. He could be serviceable, but he's not next to Jake Long in any conversation.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IIRC means 'If I remember correctly'.

The question is (and I don't know the answer) is how many of Northern Illinois' OL were drafted that started that game?

Wolfe slid because of size and speed concerns. So clearly he wasn't an AD/Dmac physical speciman that could put up those numbers on his own. So one would assum it was because of superior OL play. So how many of the NI OL have been drafted? If it was only Free, or Free and one or two other late rounders then you could assume Free was the primary reason.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
IIRC means 'If I remember correctly'.

The question is (and I don't know the answer) is how many of Northern Illinois' OL were drafted that started that game?

Wolfe slid because of size and speed concerns. So clearly he wasn't an AD/Dmac physical speciman that could put up those numbers on his own. So one would assum it was because of superior OL play. So how many of the NI OL have been drafted? If it was only Free, or Free and one or two other late rounders then you could assume Free was the primary reason.
This was "the healthy" Free, right?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know the answer to that D-Unit. I'm just saying that if Free was one of only say Two NI OL drafted that started that year and he was the first one drafted (again, I don't know the answer, just for the sake of discussion) then it would stand to reason he was a very large factor in that. If he was however not the first one taken and in fact all 5 of them were drafted then you could easily make the argument that he wasn't.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've seen IIRC... what the heck does that mean?

Are you attributing Wolfe's success solely to Free? I know you're smarter than that. The fact that NFL scouts and GMs let Free slide to Round 4 is pretty telling. He could be serviceable, but he's not next to Jake Long in any conversation.
If I recall correctly.

And I thought we were talking about Wolfe, because I was just making the point that Wolfe did fine against good competition, something you made a point to disparage. As far as how much Free had to do with it... wouldn't know unless I saw a diagram outlining how many times they ran it to Free's side. Maybe a diehard Buckeye fan would remember.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Look, I hope all the best for Free. But my stance is he's not beyond the thought of upgrading.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Look, I hope all the best for Free. But my stance is he's not beyond the thought of upgrading.
Since left tackle is one of the 3 or 4 most important positions in football, I personally would not be opposed to bringing in a premier player to play the position (for this draft, that means Long, and only Long). Anyways, we've already got the other 3 positions locked up with Romo, Ware and Newman.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Since left tackle is one of the 3 or 4 most important positions in football, I personally would not be opposed to bringing in a premier player to play the position (for this draft, that means Long, and only Long). Anyways, we've already got the other 3 positions locked up with Romo, Ware and Newman.
And that is the point to having a Super Bowl type franchise.

LT
QB
CB
Pass Rusher

4 most important spots on this team with this scheme and a place to "BREAK THE BANK"
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well.....to me, I think that if our scouting department gets a shot at Long (or any other LT prospect) and they feel that he will be an All-Time, HOF, type player, then you take the guy. But I'm not concerned particularly for our LT position in the immediate future. Flozell is only 31 or 32, and is not showing any signs of slowing down. In fact, he is playing as well now has he has since 2003 (when he played like a truly elite, All-Pro, left tackle). I think he's ok for another two years, though his contract situation might be a problem. He will likely want one more big deal.

But our youth, McQ, Free and Marten present enough promise to make me feel just fine. I seem to be higher than most on McQ, don't know why everyone else isn't, but I think he has Pro Bowl potential at either tackle position, and maybe even inside at G as well. Marten looks like a really good utility type, and Free has great feet and a solid body. You don't have to have Boselli holding down the fort to win. Though, if you get the chance at him, you should take it......just hope we're not getting Mandarich instead.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Well.....to me, I think that if our scouting department gets a shot at Long (or any other LT prospect) and they feel that he will be an All-Time, HOF, type player, then you take the guy. But I'm not concerned particularly for our LT position in the immediate future. Flozell is only 31 or 32, and is not showing any signs of slowing down. In fact, he is playing as well now has he has since 2003 (when he played like a truly elite, All-Pro, left tackle). I think he's ok for another two years, though his contract situation might be a problem. He will likely want one more big deal.

But our youth, McQ, Free and Marten present enough promise to make me feel just fine. I seem to be higher than most on McQ, don't know why everyone else isn't, but I think he has Pro Bowl potential at either tackle position, and maybe even inside at G as well. Marten looks like a really good utility type, and Free has great feet and a solid body. You don't have to have Boselli holding down the fort to win. Though, if you get the chance at him, you should take it......just hope we're not getting Mandarich instead.
The only reason I wouldn't be high on any of the three tackles we have is because we haven't actually seen them play that much...either in college or the pros. The scouting reports tell us that Long and others are ready, the reports out of training camp are a slightly less indicative. Nevertheless, I was impressed with McQuistan's athleticism to get back upfield and make a play on the Archuletta blocked FG return.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
The only reason I wouldn't be high on any of the three tackles we have is because we haven't actually seen them play that much...either in college or the pros. The scouting reports tell us that Long and others are ready, the reports out of training camp are a slightly less indicative. Nevertheless, I was impressed with McQuistan's athleticism to get back upfield and make a play on the Archuletta blocked FG return.
McQ hawked him down...lol...fantastic.

I've seen Free play in a lot of college ball games...he did hold his own against Freeney in the preseason as well...I like the guy. I reallly do feel like we stole him...Jr. year he was being compared to Jordan Gross talent wise...I think Gross went 8th overall. Free fell because, his run blocking was imo, unjustly brought into to question after a stress fractured started to take a toll on him late in the year. Some also questioned his strength...22 bench reps I believe...He has since been noted as packing on a few and being stronger. (In TC atleast) I really love the upside...I want to give him that shot before we go spending insane amounts of money on a different LT. Free was impressive in TC last year and played well in the preseason before suffering the injury...he'll take his lumps but, he has fantastic potential.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:

I've seen Free play in a lot of college ball games...he did hold his own against Freeney in the preseason as well...I like the guy. I reallly do feel like we stole him...Jr. year he was being compared to Jordan Gross talent wise...I think Gross went 8th overall. Free fell because, his run blocking was imo, unjustly brought into to question after a stress fractured started to take a toll on him late in the year. Some also questioned his strength...22 bench reps I believe...He has since been noted as packing on a few and being stronger. (In TC atleast) I really love the upside...I want to give him that shot before we go spending insane amounts of money on a different LT. Free was impressive in TC last year and played well in the preseason before suffering the injury...he'll take his lumps but, he has fantastic potential.
I would not be surprised if either McQuistan or Free is our starting tackle in a couple of years. In fact, I would put my money on it. The only situation where I would want someone else is if we had the chance to get a premier guy. Otherwise, go elsewhere with that pick.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Last time I saw a Cowboys OL chase down an INT like that his name was Larry Allen.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote