Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default LT in the first?

We have given up 13 sacks already. I think Saints gave up 16 in the WHOLE season.

We need to revamp this OL. Its going to take time for the players to get used to the new scheme, but our LT will still be a glaring hole.

What say you to taking Sam Baker or Jake Long in the first, and then trading back into the first and taking Matt Ryan. I am liking that scenario ALOT.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember that QB plays a large role in sack totals. For example the Texans have only given up two sacks thus far under Schaub, and Carr was getting killed routinely. Same thing with Romo and Bledsoe in Dallas. Now that doesn't mean I'm opposed to taking Sam Baker, I just wanted to clarify that issue.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Round 1: Sam Baker
Round 2: Jonathan Stewart
Round 2: Matt Ryan

Winner...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I highly doubt Stewart and Ryan are there in the 2nd round.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

from how people act about Colt, just replace Colt and Ryan, and i can see that happin
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I know what you mean Shiver. As bad as Harrington is, we have always had this problem, even with one of the most elusive QBs in NFL history. I think it requires fixing now.

I am not a big fan of Colt. Dont like him much. I might even be really pissed if we draft him. Maybe.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

colt cant be the face of our offense. i just dont see him succeeding in the bigs.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I think Atlanta should use their two first round picks to move up into the first for a QB. Atlanta should do what Cleveland did last year, take the franchise LT and then get the QB that falls farther than expected.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah i'm thinking that'll be the best case scenario for us. we take a long or baker and maybe in the 'teens or early twenties ryan will be waiting there for us.

i know its all speculation now, but what teams will be looking to draft a qb early?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I think Atlanta should use their two first round picks to move up into the first for a QB. Atlanta should do what Cleveland did last year, take the franchise LT and then get the QB that falls farther than expected.
I agree with that in theory, but in practice I think that if you NEED a QB, then you take the best one you can get your hands on. There's enough risk of a QB busting without adding to that by taking whoever other teams don't want...

I agree with trading up, though. Just not for a QB. I think we should take the best QB with our first pick, then potentially trade up for the LT we want. There's a clearly defined top 2 with the tackles, but both have arguable weaknesses - PB for Long, RB for Baker. Then there are 3 - 5 (depending on juniors) guys who could go mid 1st to high 2nd, depending on this season. We'd have more choice of the guy we want, and less risk of getting sloppy seconds, if we take a LT than a QB with that trade-up pick, IMO.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
yeah i'm thinking that'll be the best case scenario for us. we take a long or baker and maybe in the 'teens or early twenties ryan will be waiting there for us.

i know its all speculation now, but what teams will be looking to draft a qb early?
There aren't actually too many teams who you'd expect to be looking for a QB right now, but you can split them into five groups.

Teams with a star QB already, won't take a QB unless career ending injury:
Colts, Pats, Saints, Rams, Steelers, Bengals, Giants (Eli's there for a while, whatever), Cowboys (Romo will get locked up) - 8/32

Teams which have a future QB, so will not take one whatever happens:
Titans, Cardinals, 49ers, Raiders, Browns, Broncos, Chargers, Texans (ours!), Redskins, Packers - 10/32

Teams with veterans and 1st day QBs they are unlikely to bypass immediately:
Eagles, Jets, Vikings, Lions, Chiefs (should give Croyle one more year) - 5/32

Teams with current veteran, but might look to upgrade:
Bears, Panthers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Bills - 5/32

Teams likely to be looking for new QB:
Bucs, Ravens, Dolphins, FALCONS - 4/32

The last two groups are fairly fluctuating - but in short, there could be as many as 9 teams (maybe 10) who'd consider a QB in the 1st, and four teams who really need to be looking QB first up.

It's good news, because of those 10 teams only the Bucs and Dolphins are as bad as we are this year, and it could be argued that we are the worst of the lot. Therefore we should at least get our pick of the QBs, even if outside of the top 5.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Actually I think the Dolphins have their QB of the future. They took John Beck in round two and bypassed Brady Quinn because they had Beck higher on their board.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Actually I think the Dolphins have their QB of the future. They took John Beck in round two and bypassed Brady Quinn because they had Beck higher on their board.
Ah yes, forgot about him.

Well, let's hope we can win some games, since it looks like we could be out of the top-5 and still get our first choice QB...

That said, are there 5 teams looking worse than us at the moment? Yikes.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Yeah I know what you mean Shiver. As bad as Harrington is, we have always had this problem, even with one of the most elusive QBs in NFL history. I think it requires fixing now.

I am not a big fan of Colt. Dont like him much. I might even be really pissed if we draft him. Maybe.

To add into what Shiver said, again that is still on the QB. I'm not saying our line is great or anything, but it's very tough for a offensive lineman when your QB is moving around in the pocket. The defender can see where the quaterback is going, and make a move the lineman isn't expecting to get by him and to the QB. And of course the OL really has no idea where the QB is.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Harrington is really out of his comfort zone. He's holding on to the ball because he doesn't want to throw interceptions. As Ron Jaworski points out the QB needs to hit his third, fifth and seventh step and throw immediately upon reaching his proper depth. Harrington is not doing that. It doesn't help that the O-Line is still adjusting to the new protection schemes and you have two rookies on the left side.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
To add into what Shiver said, again that is still on the QB. I'm not saying our line is great or anything, but it's very tough for a offensive lineman when your QB is moving around in the pocket. The defender can see where the quaterback is going, and make a move the lineman isn't expecting to get by him and to the QB. And of course the OL really has no idea where the QB is.

Yeah definetly. But in my opinion, theres alot of blame that goes to our OL.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I don't think anyone should escape blame. Both the O-Line and the QB position need to be addressed.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

it alls go down to who the falcons FO values and think is more imperative for the offense. personally i think the OLine is ridiculously underrated. the trenches are what makes or breaks an offense. we can draft the best qb with a quick release but after getting nfl sacks, he's gonna be nothing. the run game is heavily dependent on the o-line too so i think, for the good of the offense, make an unsexy pick and go with a long or baker even if that means passing on a sexy mcfadden and/or woodson.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

It depends where the team picks as well. There is a lot more pressure to take a franchise QB with the first pick than say the fourth pick.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For sure...there will be a TON of pressure on us to take Brian Brohm if he's on the board.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5

Yeah. We need a QB. Harrington sucks.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we do end up with a top 3 pick. Do you guys think Sam Baker is worth taking over Woodson,McFadden,or Dorsey?.The knock on Sam Baker is that he really dont have a mean streak and he is weak in the running game.Im all for drafting a LT next year but I really dont think its a big drop off with Sam Baker and Barry Richardson.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

We wont pass over Woodson. I highly doubt it. Especially at top3. I dont think Baker is a good enough talent to be taken top3.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Looking at that very depressing montage, I'd place blame thus:

1: Harrington holding on too long... possibly no open receivers, but in that case should have thrown it away.

2. All out blitz right side. Was obvious, but O-line didn't shift to pick everyone up. Fault in recognition, partly on O-line as a whole, partly on Harrington for not seeing obvious blitz and getting ready for hot route.

3. Blalock got pushed way back into the pocket, flushed out Harrington. Still should have got rid off the ball after escaping pocket. Also had White wide open on the slant immediately, looked at him but just didn't throw the ball. Sack due to rookie mistake and poor QB play.

4. Basically a coverage sack, no one was open, but Harrington had time to throw it away. Sack eventually due to Blalock being beaten by a Stroud stunt. Again, rookie mistake and slightly poor QB play.

5. Again, overload blitz on right side. Mughelli went out on a little dump route, but Harrington couldn't get back to him. Weiner was beaten on the outside, after being a little late to get to his man. Clearly recognition problems again, on both O-line and Harrington.

6. 3rd and long, behind in the game, everyone on the blitz. No one's fault really - I'd call it a situational sack. Maybe Harrington should have got it away, but he didn't have much time.

7. Same as the 6th sack, though this time McClure just missed the linebacker coming through.

So, conclusions.

The only time an O-lineman was flat out beat was Blalock, twice, and that's just down to rookie mistakes, it's going to happen. He's already the start of the rebuilding project.

Foster had a very good game, I thought. He was semi-beaten late in the game, on that hold, but he actually had forced the guy far enough around. It was the kind of hold which you'll get away with more often than not... overall, I was impressed, and he got good push in the run game.

As for the right side of our O-line, they were really tested when JAX repeatedly sent two linebackers over their side. They struggled a little on recognition, but didn't really get beaten individually. There's a not a lot you can do when you have each have two guys to block.

On the blitzes, I have to put the blame on Harrington or McClure. McClure because I think he's the guy assigned to make protection calls, but mostly on Harrington, because it was SO obvious that the blitz was coming, and he did nothing about it, just sat there and took sack. At least once, the easy slant to Roddy was wide open.

As Petrino hinted, Harrington just looked scared. As I said at the start of the season, Harrington has the tools, but developed the mentality of a loser while in Detroit. I had hoped that a new start might help him. Apparently not.

The sooner we can get Leftwich up to speed, the better. Leftwich has some flaws in footwork and delivery, but he has never been accused of having a loser's mentality. He'll get the ball out on the blitz. This is almost certainly a lost year, but our draft strategy might change if Leftwich shows some promise...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

So, looking at improving the O-line this year.

Our right side is set, that's a fact. They're not great, but they're not bad. They'll be better in the run game once they've had a full year to adjust, and they've generally been individually solid in pass protection. A few recognition problems, but that should also get better as they adjust to the scheme.

McClure is undersized, no doubt, so that's a potential area of upgrade if the value is there, but he is generally well thought of, so I'd expect that he'll be with us a couple of years longer, especially given the contract extension.

Blalock has stuggled early, no doubt, or at least been inconsistent. But he's our long-term future at LG, so we just have to accept that his rookie year might be tough. That said, he won't face a tougher DT pairing than MIN and JAX.

Now, LT is where it gets interesting. Gandy is done, simple. He wasn't actually that bad in the first game, but he's certainly done after this year. Now, Foster played rather well on Sunday. I actually hope that Gandy misses a significant chunk of time this year, and we get to see Foster start for most ot the year. That would help to give us a read on whether he has serious starting potential. Remember, Foster was dominant at college, but suffered a couple of serious injuries which destroyed his draft stock. I'm not ready to anoint Foster just yet, don't get me wrong, but I'm keen to see how he does over the rest of the season.

However, even if he plays very well, I'd be keen to draft a guy like Richardson/Cherilus in the 2nd, who could arguably play either LT or RT. Then we can let the rookie compete with Foster to start at LT, and whoever loses is groomed to fill in for Weiner, probably in 2010.

Then we'd have a reasonably veteran line to protect our new QB, after a year or two of holding the clipboard.