Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

My Problem Jim Johnson is 68. How much longer until he retires?
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know, i just hope that he either goes at elast on or two years before or after Reid, because that would be two very big holes to fill. I have no idea when AR leaves, but as long as those two aren't within two years of eachother as their deperture, that would be a lot easier to handle for the Eagles.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:40 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I don't know, i just hope that he either goes at elast on or two years before or after Reid, because that would be two very big holes to fill. I have no idea when AR leaves, but as long as those two aren't within two years of eachother as their deperture, that would be a lot easier to handle for the Eagles.
I think the Eagles have set them selves up nicely for a defensive transistion, they can play any defensive formation, they can play Cover-2 well, they can play 3-4 well or they can just continue to play a 4-3.

Also on replacing the head-coach, the ownership would be smart to hire a coach that runs the WCO, Andy Reid is building an offense that could be lethal in the future.
  • Lorenzo Booker is ideal at RB for the WCO.
  • DeSean Jackson can play Flanker or Slot greatly.
  • Kevin Kolb is a great fit for the WCO.
  • The O-Line is set at every posistion except LT and that will be adressed in the draft.
  • TE's for a WCO are easy to find.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

Another Problem, Kevin Curtis will be 30 years old on July 17.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
I think the Eagles have set them selves up nicely for a defensive transistion, they can play any defensive formation, they can play Cover-2 well, they can play 3-4 well or they can just continue to play a 4-3.

Also on replacing the head-coach, the ownership would be smart to hire a coach that runs the WCO, Andy Reid is building an offense that could be lethal in the future.
  • Lorenzo Booker is ideal at RB for the WCO.
  • DeSean Jackson can play Flanker or Slot greatly.
  • Kevin Kolb is a great fit for the WCO.
  • The O-Line is set at every posistion except LT and that will be adressed in the draft.
  • TE's for a WCO are easy to find.
Agreed on a lot there, though I think that if the defnese switches to anything else, it would be some variation of the 3-4 either that or they stay the same, and it woudl have to be after JJ retires and we get a new guy in there. Bunkley is a great fit as a NT, and LAws and Patterson would be perfect DEs for the 3-4, so our line would be set, but there arises another problem. We already have a LB corp that is not very deep, to our knowledge yet anyway. The 3-4 is a system that relies heavily on LBs, and if that is something that isn't a strength now, that would cause dificulties on defnese. But if that transition would occur, I woudl hope the Eagles would be planning for it and have other options at LB right now. One thing I don't like about the 3-4 though is Trent Cole would have a hard time fitting in anywhere. Our LBs would probably look something like this if we ran a 3-4. Gocong would be the SAM, Bradley would be the MIKE, Gaither would be the MACK, and we would probably have to look for a WILL, because Trent Cole just wouldn't work at either OLB in the 3-4, IMO. I agree that the offense is looking like a WCO for the future would be the best way to go, as two young skill position players and a young QB (All of which are promising thus far) are perfect fits for the WCO. Like you said though, LT is a concern and TEs are easy to find. I still think we would need a true, big #1 WR for the offense to really explode.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
Another Problem, Kevin Curtis will be 30 years old on July 17.
That really isn't as big of a problem as you would imagine. Yes he is going to be thiry by the time the season rolls around. But there isn't much wear on his tires, as he spent all of his career before the Eagles in a non-starting role. He hasn't encountered as much contact or wear and tear as most 30 yr old WRs have, and that is in his favor. But there is no doubt that the Eagles are looking for ways to improve the WR position now, and will contintue to, unless Jackson becomes a superstar. But lets not confuse this, he wouldn't be a real big loss anyway. Ouyr offense has gotten by with mediocre receivers, and haven't lost much in terms of production from the WR corp (as a whole) in any season, they have been pretty consistent. I know you guys are gonna bring TO up, but I'm including the whole WR corp, and I haven't looked it up yet, but I would wager a guess that the WR corp as a whole didn't lose much from year to year since he left. We got more production from our 3, 4, and 5 WR in the years he wasn't there. I'm sure there is a dropoff though, don't get me wrong, as injuries played a factor, and lets be honest, TO was a hell of a player, so some dropoff is likely, but I don't think it is anything major. And my point to that was this... Curtis is in no way comparible to TO, and if we can get by losing him, Curtis shouldn't be anything that I would get too worked up about.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed on a lot there, though I think that if the defnese switches to anything else, it would be some variation of the 3-4 either that or they stay the same, and it woudl have to be after JJ retires and we get a new guy in there. Bunkley is a great fit as a NT, and LAws and Patterson would be perfect DEs for the 3-4, so our line would be set, but there arises another problem. We already have a LB corp that is not very deep, to our knowledge yet anyway. The 3-4 is a system that relies heavily on LBs, and if that is something that isn't a strength now, that would cause dificulties on defnese. But if that transition would occur, I woudl hope the Eagles would be planning for it and have other options at LB right now. One thing I don't like about the 3-4 though is Trent Cole would have a hard time fitting in anywhere. Our LBs would probably look something like this if we ran a 3-4. Gocong would be the SAM, Bradley would be the MIKE, Gaither would be the MACK, and we would probably have to look for a WILL, because Trent Cole just wouldn't work at either OLB in the 3-4, IMO. I agree that the offense is looking like a WCO for the future would be the best way to go, as two young skill position players and a young QB (All of which are promising thus far) are perfect fits for the WCO. Like you said though, LT is a concern and TEs are easy to find. I still think we would need a true, big #1 WR for the offense to really explode.
  • I think that in a 3-4 Trent Cole could end up being a Shawne Merriman type player, they are very similar physically and Trent Cole is great at stopping the run and rushing the passers, his only problem would be pass coverage.
  • Bunkley can not play NT in a regular 3-4 scheme, he is not big enough. He is only around 280, but he is very strong. He could play NT in a scheme like the one Wade Phillips runs in Dallas.

BBD on who to choose while building a 3-4 defense. (Wilfork or Ngata)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Too simple of a question. What type of 3-4 defense are you referring to?

The Parcells 3-4: Wilfork

Phillips 3-4: Ngata

The Parcells 3-4 is pretty standard up front. You'll see the line shade one way or the other time to time (best example of the BP 3-4 is NE), but still puts heavy emphasis on a 2 gap NT who clogs the inside, and bullrushing strong, smart DEs who can seal the outside to free up pass rushing LBs, and have enough muscle to bullrush their linemen and rush the passer through strength techniques (picture Strahan as a 3-4 End to simplify what im saying).

Thats a gross simplification, so don't take it as that simple.

The Phillips 3-4 requires more penetrating, so a Glenn Dorsey type of DT would actually thrive at End in the scheme, and its honestly, not really a true 3-4 defense. Its a 46 masked in a 3-4 front. Its a 1 gap 3-4, its more like having a 5 man line with 2 4-3 Ends standing up and "zone blitzing"
  • Also some of the draft picks from our draft are better fits for a 3-4 defense. Joe Mays is a better fit at ILB in a 3-4 defense and Andy Studebaker is a better fit as a 3-4 OLB. Bryan Smith is also a good fit at OLB in a 3-4 Scheme.
  • Also don't forget that Chris Clemons is a great fit at 3-4 OLB.
  • Jaqua Parker, Darren Howard (Hes slimmed down) and Victor Abiamiri could play 3-4 OLB, but that is stretching it a bit.
  • With Lito being expendable, the Eagles could (if they wanted) make a run at a "true" NT (ex. of a true NT- Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton). Preferably, I would want the Eagles to make a trade with the Cardinals for a NT like Alan Branch or Gabe Watson if they were to pursue a NT.

The offense really needs a #1 WR to explode, you are right about that. I'm praying the Eagles make a move before Training Camp
Old 06-28-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I haven't seen that Bunkley is anywhere near 280. Last I saw he was 295-ish. It isn't all about size, though. He is a two gap NT type DT. He is best suited for playing the position he is at now, a NT in a 4-3, but he can bulk up a tad and be a 3-4 NT. His playing style suits it. Personally, I'm not as ready to think that the 3-4 is going to happen as you are, but if the Eagles would do that, Bunkley is the best choice there. Another thing I don't like about switching to a 3-4 is something you jsut brought up. Basically none of our DEs are compatible to switch out to OLB. Clemons is a possiblity yes, but besides that, there are a whole bunch of DEs that woudl have to be cut or traded or released. What you brought up about the LBs is also true, but we once again run into a problem, none of them are proven. Personally, I don't see a switch to a 3-4 within the next five years, as we have just too much that woudln't work out in a strictly 3-4 defense. I think we will do some 3-4 packages, along with a lot of other defensive variations, but a 3-4 defense is not something I see in the near future.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:03 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

Quote:
I haven't seen that Bunkley is anywhere near 280. Last I saw he was 295-ish. It isn't all about size, though. He is a two gap NT type DT. He is best suited for playing the position he is at now, a NT in a 4-3, but he can bulk up a tad and be a 3-4 NT. His playing style suits it. Personally, I'm not as ready to think that the 3-4 is going to happen as you are, but if the Eagles would do that, Bunkley is the best choice there. Another thing I don't like about switching to a 3-4 is something you jsut brought up. Basically none of our DEs are compatible to switch out to OLB. Clemons is a possiblity yes, but besides that, there are a whole bunch of DEs that woudl have to be cut or traded or released. What you brought up about the LBs is also true, but we once again run into a problem, none of them are proven. Personally, I don't see a switch to a 3-4 within the next five years, as we have just too much that woudln't work out in a strictly 3-4 defense. I think we will do some 3-4 packages, along with a lot of other defensive variations, but a 3-4 defense is not something I see in the near future.
lol the football world is moving SLOOOW. Your right though a transistion to a 3-4 probably won't happen.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

Quote:
I haven't seen that Bunkley is anywhere near 280. Last I saw he was 295-ish. It isn't all about size, though. He is a two gap NT type DT. He is best suited for playing the position he is at now, a NT in a 4-3, but he can bulk up a tad and be a 3-4 NT. His playing style suits it.

v.s.

v.s

Bunkley is not a NT

Last edited by eaglesfan_45 : 06-28-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Once again, showing pictures of guys does nothing to prove anything about playing style, and for your information. On the Eagles homepeage, he's listed at 6'2 and 306 lbs. To small, right? Real close to that 280 you were referring to right? Dude come on, stop with the BS. At least if I'm not sure about something, I say so. I don't passs it off as fact to make myself sound more inteligent. I mean come on dude, I thought you were turning a corner, you had a lot of good threads and were making nice posts, now you go back to iligitamate BS and making things up.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

Bunkley is not 306 lbs, he was 286 coming out of college and he showed up at the Eagles Camp at 306 and was over-weight, last off-season he worked on his and is no longer 306 (IMO), at best he is 290 something these days. Plus, team-sites always give players the benefit of the doubt and unfortunately they are the only source the people have to rely on for a players measureables after they are drafted.

Those pictures are showing what a NT is and what Bunkley is. Yeah Bunkley is a physical presence, he stops the run, rushes the passer, and he holds his own on the line, but he does not have the size to be a NT in a 3-4 defense. I did not pass that off as fact to make my self look more intelligent, I have read legit sources where he is in the weight range of 280-290. Lets face it, Bunkley is not that big for a NT. He uses strength too compensate for his lack of size. He is IMO a 3-4 DE not a 3-4 NT like your trying to say. Like I said he could be a NT in a Wade Phillips scheme because the scheme does not limit d-lineman to eating up space they are penetrators as well.

Last edited by eaglesfan_45 : 06-28-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

To be honest though, there isn't much of a diference between the guys you have in the pictures and Bunkley. I too agree that he most likely isn't 306, but that is all we have. To be honest, he looks 295, like I said, but plays much bigger. He takes on the C and either G quite a bit on this defense, and frees up a lot of space for guys like Cole and Patterson. I don't see why he can't do the smae thing in the 3-4. He does a great job against the double team, and I don't know where you got it that he is a penetrator, he is balanced. Sorry, but I'm gonna go by what I know, and what the best source tells me, not by someone who I've never met and their supposed "reliable" sources. Take note that I am not saying these sources aren't reliable, but you didn't name them, so for all I know it could be your buddy in english class.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bunkley is not a 3-4 defensive lineman, it would be a waste to put him there. He isn't a mammoth like Jamal Williams who can just shut down the middle no matter how many men you put on him. He could MAYBE play NT, but he wouldn't be very good at it. I don't like the idea of him as a 3-4 DE either. The ideal place for him to play is as a 4-3 NT. We have the tools to run occasional 3-4 looks, but we are far away from switching to it full time. Our team right now looks like the Jets when they switched to the 3-4 and they were far from ready.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
Bunkley is not a 3-4 defensive lineman, it would be a waste to put him there. He isn't a mammoth like Jamal Williams who can just shut down the middle no matter how many men you put on him. He could MAYBE play NT, but he wouldn't be very good at it. I don't like the idea of him as a 3-4 DE either. The ideal place for him to play is as a 4-3 NT. We have the tools to run occasional 3-4 looks, but we are far away from switching to it full time. Our team right now looks like the Jets when they switched to the 3-4 and they were far from ready.
You and I are thinking the EXACT same way when it comes to all of this.