Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Byron Leftwich

He is making his first start this Sunday according to ESPN. I guess they have to try something to fix the offense.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we are able to generate the same type of pressure on him that we placed on Seattle, I'd be thrilled.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is gonna be a bad game. saints finally got rolling last wk and are carry momentum against division rival. this is gonna be a long season.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any chance you will be releasing him? because we really need a QB in AZ right now

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know I'm not a Falcons fan and do not follow you guys that closely but I get the feeling that this is just a move in order to have "change for the sake of change" as I think other things are deeper problems in Atlanta. When watching Joey last Monday, it seemed to me like most of the blame for the game falls on his receivers practically not being able to catch the plague in The Black Death and a decimated line struggling to get him any worthwhile protection. Now add in Byron's slow release and slow well, everything, and it seems to be a recipe for disaster. Maybe its just me, what are the thoughts of you true Falcons fans and not that of a casual observer like me?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just waiting for Jaguars fans who were anti-Leftwich to jump on him like a pack of ravenous wolves. Oy.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've long gone on record as saying that I think Leftwich will never win a playoff game in his career, as a starter anyways. That was some time before Jack Del Rio won the power struggle against Shack Harris in Jacksonville, making the team a whole lot better by finally ridding the franchise of the shackles of Leftwich and giving the reins to talented quarterback David Garrard.

Leftwich isn't the future in Atlanta, thankfully. But he's yet another concerted effort by Bobby Petrino to throw games so that the Falcons can get the franchise quarterback they want come April.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate that you keep saying Petrino is "throwing games." It's a stupid and baseless claim. It isn't as if he needs to put any effort into making the current roster a loser. The talent just isn't there. You could put Vince Lombardi at HC, Bill Belicheck at DC, Bill Walsh at OC, and have them give it their all and you would probably only have a six win team.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's bull, look at how he's using the players. Dunn is a great person, but he's just about washed up as a player if he's not already. Yet he's getting all of the carries instead of a (gasp) very talented youngster in Norwood. When the running game is a young/struggling offense's best method of success, even young pup Lane Kiffin oin Oakland knows that. Inexplicable.

The best defense against Alge Cumpler this season has been Bobby Petrino, I've never seen Crumpler so ineffective. I didn't know the Falcons even had another tight end on the roster who could catch the ball, nevermind bringing him in the game with the endzone 30 yards or so away. That's laughable.

Crumpler has it right when he's calling out the offensive coaching staff's decisions. Of all the possible kickers to sign, Morten Anderson? Come on, Shiver. Leftwich had no business coming into the Titans game, until Petrino realized they might actually win that game and he had to fix that. Boy did he ever.

And now, with an offensive line that is having difficulty protecting the quarterback, with two rookie offensive tackles, they start Leftwich who has, what, four weeks under his belt in Petrino's belt? Screw that, the Falcons are tanking the season. They aren't making it too obvious, but the damn writing is on the wall.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

1. According to you he's intentionally using over the hill Warrick Dunn to "lose" games. However, he's already under accusations of phasing out veterans to get young players ready. Jerious Norwood is hardly ready. He sucks at pass protection, (see Giants game), and isn't built to handle a high workload. Do I think he needs to be used more? Sure, but I don't think if he was on the field more than Dunn it would have any impact on the W-L column.

2. Alge Crumpler is not that good of a TE. He calls out the coaching staff and proceeds to drop passes in the MNF game that killed drives. It's called leading by example Alge. Not to mention he's grossly overweight this season. He's being called Alge "Fatlanta" Crumpler right now. The only reason he put up good stats is Michael Vick was unable to throw to anyone else in the entire offense. He's always had a low catch percentage and drops way too many passes. Combine that with his weight issues that are tied in with his chronic knee injuries, Alge Crumpler has no right to blame anyone else.

3. Your point about the Titans game is absurd and once again shows no understanding of context. Petrino "needed to fix the game"? Are you joking? Harrington had just thrown a pick six and the Falcons were down by seven and the offense had not scored a touchdown all game. There was no indications that the offense was doing anything with Harrington, so they might as well put in Leftwich and get him some work. Only by the luck and the Titans' blunders did the team have a chance at the end. Then again working under the assumption that Joey ****** Harrington would have done anything better is absurd. I know you hate Leftwich, but come on! He is much better than Joey Harrington.

4. The Falcons' team is in a rebuilding stage. To insinuate that the coach has some diabolical "tanking" strategy is ridiculous. No coach in the league could win with the roster as it is currently constructed. They have rookies starting all over the roster.

Last edited by Shiver : 10-17-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

So Petrino somehow manages to phase out every productive veteran except the unproductive one who has a superior backup (Norwood). Yeah, that sounds right.

I love how Alge Crumpler somehow went from the most consistent and productive Atlanta Falcons offensive player to a complete bum who shouldn't see the field. Ho boy, what a difference four freaking months make.

Harrington isn't a leader of men, to be brutally honest. That's why he'll likely never be successful in the league, barring an ideal situation. But nevermind how flawed Leftwich is, he had no buisiness going into that Titans game unless Harrington was injured. When a few weeks before he was sitting on his couch, he wasn't going to do any good. The Falcons defense was keeping the offense in that game, the reason the Titans got a pick six wasn't as much Harrington's fault as it was a receiver's bobble.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the tactic of tanking the season for the top draft pick. I know some advocate it, and heck, it helped the Colts like crazy in 1998 to have the first overall pick and draft Manning. But it just rubs me the wrong way, very much so.

I disliked it when the Houston Texans did it in 2005 by having their kicker Kris Brown throw games, to win the "Reggie Bush sweepstakes."

Last edited by Geo : 10-17-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I disliked it when the Houston Texans did it in 2005 by having their kicker Kris Brown throw games, to win the "Mario Williams sweepstakes."
fixed it for ya

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
So Petrino somehow manages to phase out every productive veteran except the unproductive one who has a superior backup (Norwood). Yeah, that sounds right.
Alge Crumpler's words, not mine.

Quote:
I love how Alge Crumpler somehow went from the most consistent and productive Atlanta Falcons offensive player to a complete bum who shouldn't see the field. Ho boy, what a difference four freaking months make.
I have been saying Alge Crumpler is overrated for a while now. He was a productive of Michael Vick's inability to read defenses and throw to anybody else. He's also had injuries recently and therefore isn't in top football shape. He has been good, but I've always laughed when I see him make people's top-5 TE rankings.

Quote:
Harrington isn't a leader of men, to be brutally honest. That's why he'll likely never be successful in the league, barring an ideal situation. But nevermind how flawed Leftwich is, he had no buisiness going into that Titans game unless Harrington was injured. When a few weeks before he was sitting on his couch, he wasn't going to do any good. The Falcons defense was keeping the offense in that game, the reason the Titans got a pick six wasn't as much Harrington's fault as it was a receiver's bobble.
That's your opinion. However, the team didn't sign Leftwich to sit behind Joey Harrington. At that point it was clear Harrington wasn't doing anything, so why not get Leftwich some work? There is a big difference between that and doing it to intentionally lose.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of the tactic of tanking the season for the top draft pick. I know some advocate it, and heck, it helped the Colts like crazy in 1998 to have the first overall pick and draft Manning. But it just rubs me the wrong way, very much so.

I disliked it when the Houston Texans did it in 2005 by having their kicker Kris Brown throw games, to win the "Reggie Bush sweepstakes."
That's funny, considering Houston didn't even draft Reggie Bush.

Last edited by Shiver : 10-18-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
I know I'm not a Falcons fan and do not follow you guys that closely but I get the feeling that this is just a move in order to have "change for the sake of change" as I think other things are deeper problems in Atlanta. When watching Joey last Monday, it seemed to me like most of the blame for the game falls on his receivers practically not being able to catch the plague in The Black Death and a decimated line struggling to get him any worthwhile protection. Now add in Byron's slow release and slow well, everything, and it seems to be a recipe for disaster. Maybe its just me, what are the thoughts of you true Falcons fans and not that of a casual observer like me?

Our line isn't good, but our WR have been good most of the year. A few of Joey's sacks come from him curling up under presssure and just holding onto the ball to long.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

It is totally ridiculous to suggest that our coach is tanking the season to get the QB he wants. Shiver, I admire your attempt to reason with him, but sometimes you just have to let it go.

I'm not that hopeful about the change. What we need is someone to get rid of it quickly. That's never exactly been Byron's modus operandi. But Harrington wasn't getting it done, so why not give Byron a chance? We shall see what results. At least the first defense he'll face is not exactly the steel curtain...
Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Byron Leftwich is the prefered option. WOW. We really are screwed. This guys release makes me angry. A guy is open, but by the time the ball is gone the guy is no longer open.

Bad move by Petrino in my opinion. Harrington is not the problem, if the line does its job he has shown me nothing to think that he cant play like he did against the Texans and Panthers week in week out. The problem is the fate of our team lies with the Offensive Line, the weakest group on the team.

It's simple, cant runblock -> must pass-> cant passblock -> hurry -> sack-> INT-> lose-> bench the QB.

And to think quite a few were convinced we had an above average O Line at the start of the year. Anytime you have Wayne Gandy as your planned starting LT you would never hear me utter the worlds "above average" or even "average"

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 10-18-2007 at 09:20 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay so I can pretty easily see that it is a change that needed to be made based on a psychological standpoint and stuff like that but am I the only one who thought it was a little premature for Leftwich to be proclaimed the starter for the rest of the year? I mean, in my mind, he's going to do worse than Joey, no doubt. He's slower, his release is much slower, he has had only over a month in the offense(even though Joey's isn't too long, its still long enough), and his touch really isn't an upgrade over Joey if you ask me. Basically my question is, are they going to be regretting this "rest of the year" crap?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
JPLUFF
Veteran

JPLUFF hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah from what I've seen of Byron and Joey, and after watching the game on Monday night, Byron will get murdered behind that O-Line.

But...what's there to lose?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
JDB7821
Rookie

JDB7821 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Fun fact: Michael Vick has thrown for 20 touchdowns in a season. Leftwich has not. That honestly surprised me when I saw that. I never see Jaguars games, but before he was cut I thought he was a decent quarterback. Apparently Vick was better.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Fun fact: Byron Leftwich had a season where he had a 3:1 TD/INT ratio and a passer rating of 89.3. So in no way is Michael Vick "better" in any regards as a passer. Vick even got sacked more, even if that doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Shiver : 10-18-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, bad move. Like someone said it seems like a move to make a move. Harrington, IMO, is a much better fit for Petrino's offense. Quicker release, rythem passer. Leftwich has a very slow release and is a stone in the pocket. With only 2 players currently starting (McClure and Forney) who have sufficient experience.

Harrington has done his job for the most part when he has time.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Harrington has frozen far too many times. While the O-Line is hardly stable right now, Harrington has David Carr syndrome.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Leftwich actually looked really good and surprise! He got hurt. That's always been his problem and he was stricken again.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just when our offense was clicking and looking good.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Very Sad...but Joey did a fine job, just really lacks the arm strength to make a lot of throws. Byron gave us that, but we need better OL play...which we can't have now with Foster out too...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote