Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-20-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see a wr with punt return abilities come here. And as I have said many times, the only guy on the d-line that I have been ok with is Ratliff. It pisses me off big time to consider drafting a defensive lineman again, cause we have spent a 1st, 3rd and 4th and none of them seem to be able to play to that potential to me. Having said that, d-line seems to me to be the weakest link. Untill it is fixed, I dont see the linebackers reaching their full potential.

Corner back is something I see a lot of people wanting on this forum. I wouldnt be mad with a first round corner, but I dont see what some seem to think is a major need. My mind is open, and I would like to see other's thoughts on it. Henry and Newman are perfectly ok to me. A nickel corner/potential starter replacement would be nice. But our cornerback play to me is head and shoulders above our defensive line play.

I get frusterated watching the 3-4 teams that get pressure without blitzing linebackers. It really drives me insane how we get no pressure unless we blitz linebackers.

Once again, i hate the idea of drafting a d-lineman because of what we have spent in the past on that position. But we wont play with the pats untill our d-line is somewhere near theirs.

Am I alone on my planet?? Or do some of you feel the same way??

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I would like to see a wr with punt return abilities come here. And as I have said many times, the only guy on the d-line that I have been ok with is Ratliff. It pisses me off big time to consider drafting a defensive lineman again, cause we have spent a 1st, 3rd and 4th and none of them seem to be able to play to that potential to me. Having said that, d-line seems to me to be the weakest link. Untill it is fixed, I dont see the linebackers reaching their full potential.

Corner back is something I see a lot of people wanting on this forum. I wouldnt be mad with a first round corner, but I dont see what some seem to think is a major need. My mind is open, and I would like to see other's thoughts on it. Henry and Newman are perfectly ok to me. A nickel corner/potential starter replacement would be nice. But our cornerback play to me is head and shoulders above our defensive line play.

I get frusterated watching the 3-4 teams that get pressure without blitzing linebackers. It really drives me insane how we get no pressure unless we blitz linebackers.

Once again, i hate the idea of drafting a d-lineman because of what we have spent in the past on that position. But we wont play with the pats untill our d-line is somewhere near theirs.

You make some good points. That WR with punt return abilities is Stanback... I think.

I agree DL is the weakest link and our LBs would be so much better with a DL. I understand the desire not to want to spend draft picks on them, but the fact of the matter is that I'll spend FA money or draft picks or trade as long as we upgrade the unit somehow. I've been having a good feeling about Tank Johnson, so I feel settled... for now at least. If we have to spend a high pick on a DE, I'm for at as long as the value is there.

CB is a need imo because depth is so important. Right now we just need a nickel guy, but things change quickly in the NFL. As long as we address it on Day 1, I'm happy. It doesn't have to be a first rounder.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Look at you two. One says physical power is ideal and the other says we need a fast as hell home run hitter.

For my money, I'd take Stewart over Slaton all day everyday.
Gotta agree with taking Stewart. If we have two pounding RBs then teams won't wanna get off the bus against us.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mike Hart on the other hand is shifty, he's hard to tackle and has some speed to boot. He'll fight for every yard and hasn't had a fumble in what... 164 carries? (WOW!) Some might say he runs behind a better line, but Long is really the only stud on that line and he plays against pretty solid defenses day in and day out.
It's more like 900 touches my friend. He hasn't lost a fumble since the first month of his freshman year, either running or receiving.

Good to see that at least someone thinks more highly of Hart than McFadden.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
It's more like 900 touches my friend. He hasn't lost a fumble since the first month of his freshman year, either running or receiving.

Good to see that at least someone thinks more highly of Hart than McFadden.
both should be 1st round RBs along with jonathan stewart however i doubt hart will get enough praise from some scouts to sneak in..theres no doubt in my mind he will produce big at the next level
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hart draft status will rise and fall with his 40.

I agree, though, he is a wonderful player at Michigan but also running behind two All Americans.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
DSlay4

Im not to worried about picking a RB as were gonna have many options and i'd be happy with any of these guys:

1.Darren Mcfadden
2.Jonathan Stewart
3.Steve Slaton
4.Mike Hart
5.Allen Patrick
Old 10-20-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post

Not sure how you can say that a 4th rounder who has started since he was a rookie is disappointing, or that a 3rd rounder is getting lots of playing time, pressure, and sacks in his second season from a small school.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas View Post
Not sure how you can say that a 4th rounder who has started since he was a rookie is disappointing, or that a 3rd rounder is getting lots of playing time, pressure, and sacks in his second season from a small school.
That 4th really had 1st round potential for arguments sake. He would have been drafted in the first if not for a terrible eye injury which he has fully recovered from. I agree that our D-line needs work. I think that is the general concensus around here. It's just a tough spot to draft for, Marcus Spears looked like a sure fire impact player (some will argue that he is good) but you get my point.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
That 4th really had 1st round potential for arguments sake. He would have been drafted in the first if not for a terrible eye injury which he has fully recovered from. I agree that our D-line needs work. I think that is the general concensus around here. It's just a tough spot to draft for, Marcus Spears looked like a sure fire impact player (some will argue that he is good) but you get my point.
Well I tell you what, Chris Long plays 2-Gap 3-4 in Virginia and oh my god he has 10 sacks. I just have never seen a two gap DE get that many sacks / college or pro. He killed a big Terp line today. 6'4 280 is not perfect but screw that if he can play.

Dre Moore also looks fantastic.

I fell in love today.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
Well I tell you what, Chris Long plays 2-Gap 3-4 in Virginia and oh my god he has 10 sacks. I just have never seen a two gap DE get that many sacks / college or pro. He killed a big Terp line today. 6'4 280 is not perfect but screw that if he can play.

Dre Moore also looks fantastic.

I fell in love today.
doubt hes 280. I'd guess 265ish.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Dcboys94

[quote=MaddHatter;676164]Now I know this is a dangerous statement on this board with everyones hardon for McFadden, but hear me out...

For the Price it would cost, I think Hart's payoff is much higher then McFaddens.

I mean if Hart was there for our 2nd round pick or maybe we sent a late 2nd day with our 2nd to trade up a few picks for him, I'd much rather do that then take McFadden with our 1a pick (and especially if it meant trading up.)

Why you ask? Well McFadden is a speedster - that's it. He can't break tackles (julius), he's hit or miss (julius) and he tends to fumble more often then not (not a plus) - I've seen many of his games, and I went back and watched several "highlight" reels just to make sure, and I didn't see one play where he broke a tackle. Every run was him using his speed to the outside and breaking one off, and typically it was against less then steller teams. In the NFL, Defenses are faster and his speed will be somewhat negated. He'll get beat down if he tries to go between the tackles, and, in my mind, won't be any different then Jones.
QUOTE]

Anyone i mean anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knows that the statement you made is stupid and ridiculous. it's either youre right or thousands of draft experts and scouts are wrong. i know which side im gonna go with. Mcfadden combines explosive speed, with good power and quick feet. And comparing him to julius jones is like comparing tomlinson to tatum bell. You just dont do it. read all the draft experts reports on him and you will feel stupid about saying this. I like mcfadden, stewart, and rice...but saying that about what many say to be the best back to come out in the last few years is just stupid.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Slaton, to me, is a poor man's Reggie Bush and he has more big runs in college than Reggie ever did.
He's a poor man's Reggie Bush in that he's slower, not as shifty side to side, not as much of a homerun threat, worse pass-catcher, more injury prone, gets sand in his cooter too often...I suppose that's a homeless man's Reggie. And no, he did not have more big runs than Reggie. But props for the Hart love
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

So who are the best small/fast backs in this draft assuming we go "Complement MBIII.........."

Slaton
Alridge
Forsett
??????

Power guys with speed -- bruisers......

Stewart
????????
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

MaddHatter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboys94 View Post
Anyone i mean anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knows that the statement you made is stupid and ridiculous. it's either youre right or thousands of draft experts and scouts are wrong. i know which side im gonna go with. Mcfadden combines explosive speed, with good power and quick feet. And comparing him to julius jones is like comparing tomlinson to tatum bell. You just dont do it. read all the draft experts reports on him and you will feel stupid about saying this. I like mcfadden, stewart, and rice...but saying that about what many say to be the best back to come out in the last few years is just stupid.

Thanks for providing insight to backup your opinion. For waht it's worth, I understand and expected this type of comment.

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
He's a poor man's Reggie Bush in that he's slower, not as shifty side to side, not as much of a homerun threat, worse pass-catcher, more injury prone, gets sand in his cooter too often...I suppose that's a homeless man's Reggie. And no, he did not have more big runs than Reggie. But props for the Hart love
Slaton does not have more "big runs" than Bush? Really? Just the fact he will have twice as many carries ....................

Slaton:
YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2005 205 1128 5.5 52 17 12 95 7.9 19 2 0 0
2006 248 1744 7.0 65 16 27 360 13.3 67 2 0 0
2007 151 825 5.5 58 13 17 266 15.6 51 1 0 0

Bush (best I could find):
Re Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD
2005 37 478 12.9 2 200 1,740 8.7 16
2004 43 509 11.8 7 143 908 6.3 6
2003 15 314 20.9 4 90 521 5.8 3

Not saying Slaton is Bush in raw talent but 1) WV is not USC in terms of supporting cast and 2) Slaton will end up with much better College numbers including runs ++20 yards.

I will stick to to my thoughts Slaton is a poor man's RB. Slower, better cut back runner, worse receiver but still a home run type player like RB.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2005 205 1128 5.5 52 17 12 95 7.9 19 2 0 0
2006 248 1744 7.0 65 16 27 360 13.3 67 2 0 0
2007 151 825 5.5 58 13 17 266 15.6 51 1 0 0

Bush (best I could find):
Re Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD
2005 37 478 12.9 2 200 1,740 8.7 16
2004 43 509 11.8 7 143 908 6.3 6
2003 15 314 20.9 4 90 521 5.8 3
Reggie also played superior teams though. Yes, he did have a great supporting cast, but the difference between the Pac-10 and the Big East is huge.

Look at their junior years, where Reggie really "broke out". Reggie averaged 2.2 more yards per carry. That's quite a lot. Keep in mind Reggie's TD numbers were down because he played with the USC career record holder for rushing TDs
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Reggie also played superior teams though. Yes, he did have a great supporting cast, but the difference between the Pac-10 and the Big East is huge.

Look at their junior years, where Reggie really "broke out". Reggie averaged 2.2 more yards per carry. That's quite a lot. Keep in mind Reggie's TD numbers were down because he played with the USC career record holder for rushing TDs
Difference between Pac-10 and USC was much greater than WVA to the Big East. USC was heads and tails better. Reggie benefitted from that. Heisman QB, Lendal White, Steve Smith, D Jarrett.........

Great player but Slaton can play on Sunday's and I think a very good runner -- better than Reggie. Same way I though Jones Drew was a better runner.

Interesting debate though .......
Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Ware_HITStick
Rookie

Ware_HITStick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

give me Cory Boyd
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Difference between Pac-10 and USC was much greater than WVA to the Big East. USC was heads and tails better. Reggie benefitted from that. Heisman QB, Lendal White, Steve Smith, D Jarrett.........

Great player but Slaton can play on Sunday's and I think a very good runner -- better than Reggie. Same way I though Jones Drew was a better runner.

Interesting debate though .......
You make a good case in the SC vs. WVU debate. However, Slaton is a ***** inside, very much like Reggie and Slaton and MJD aren't really comparable. That's like comparing Marion Barber to Noel Devine
Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Call me totally insane, but I want Jacob Hester. He seems to me to be the type of guy who could handle third downs, and Barber could take the load. We could use Thompson to mix in with thise two as a COP speed guy.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hm.. Can we honestly say after today that McFadden is better then AD?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking back, as prospects, yes. Hindsight is 20/20, my friend, and he was not the prospect that Big Mac is turning out to be. Don't let today or anything else cloud your judgment about prospects.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Looking back, as prospects, yes. Hindsight is 20/20, my friend, and he was not the prospect that Big Mac is turning out to be. Don't let today or anything else cloud your judgment about prospects.
Amazing what one game will do to people's minds. McFadden was held to 43 ******* yards in a game this year. That's pathetic.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post

Maybe in your mind.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote