Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I kind of wish they would be more on the attack from the start of games, though. Bring the heat at the start and then, after getting a goal or two, bunker down on defense.
They actually did that quite well towards the end of the season, but it's only really effective at home against lesser sides. Going all out offense against a good side (especially away from home) is a disaster. The Spurs game last year is a prime example of that.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I kind of wish they would be more on the attack from the start of games, though. Bring the heat at the start and then, after getting a goal or two, bunker down on defense.
That formation is really narrow, to the point of negating it's own offensiveness. You need someone who'll stay out wide and keep the defense from cramming the middle. If you want to start Carroll you pretty much have to drop Ba from the starting lineup.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
That formation is really narrow, to the point of negating it's own offensiveness. You need someone who'll stay out wide and keep the defense from cramming the middle. If you want to start Carroll you pretty much have to drop Ba from the starting lineup.
Carroll would need effective wide play to be worth it. Winning headers from crosses is a huge part of his game and talent(however much anyone thinks he has).

Something to read on Carroll for those interested;

http://footballfollower.com/football...all-euro-2012/

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree. Width would be provided from the full backs though. I'm sure you have seen Debuchy and Santon is very offensive minded as well. Also, HBA does whatever the **** he wants basically. I still think it's Carroll or Ba though.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope Gladbach don't **** up CL qualification, they have a strong starting 11 and have put together a great bench with guys like Mlapa, Rupp and Zimmermann who have the talent to be better than some of the starters.

---------------De Jong---------------------
-------------------------Hanke-------------
---Arrango --------------------- Hermann---
--------------Nordtveit - Xhaka--------------
-Daems - Stranzl - Dominguez - Jantschke-
ter Stegen

Peniel Mlapa - ST/W
Igor De Camargo - ST/CF

Lukas Rupp - AM/W
Ezequiel Calvente - W

Tolga Cigerci - CM/AM
Alexander Ring - DM/CM

Matthias Zimmermann - RB/LB
Oscar Wendt - LB
Roel Bouwers - CB
Anderson - CB

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

ter Stegen is such a boss
Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I agree. Width would be provided from the full backs though. I'm sure you have seen Debuchy and Santon is very offensive minded as well. Also, HBA does whatever the **** he wants basically. I still think it's Carroll or Ba though.
Problem becomes you'd have to push those fullbacks up a lot to keep the middle from getting clogged and that leave big holes for the CBs and Tiote to fill. It could work against lesser teams that you're not really afraid of on the counter, but that's just not a formation that I think would be able to hold up against most of the good to elite teams in the EPL or EL.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Problem becomes you'd have to push those fullbacks up a lot to keep the middle from getting clogged and that leave big holes for the CBs and Tiote to fill. It could work against lesser teams that you're not really afraid of on the counter, but that's just not a formation that I think would be able to hold up against most of the good to elite teams in the EPL or EL.
Yeah, that was exactly my point. No way we can play that away from home vs anyone or at vs any of the top half.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
ter Stegen is such a boss
Yeah, I'm going to be very interested to see how he takes over for Dante as the voice of the defense. Last year MAtS could focus a lot more on his own game, as Dante and Favre had the defense very well organized in front of him. This year ter Stegen is going to have a lot more responsibility over the whole defensive unit. If he has another great year it'll be time to start wondering whether Neuer really is Germany's best keeper.

Plus that midfield is filthy, Hermann's one of the fastest players in the Bundesliga with a great deal of skill, Arrango is a speedy little bastard with a marvelous left foot, Nordtveit is a poor-man's Khedira or Marchisio with his motor and ability to contribute on all levels, and Xhaka as the QB, taking over Dante's responsibilities for launching their counterattacks.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yeah, that was exactly my point. No way we can play that away from home vs anyone or at vs any of the top half.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. That's why I think securing the Debuchy deal, picking up Anita to reinforce the midfield and snagging a naturally wide winger should be higher priority than sealing up another striker.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you on that. That's why I think securing the Debuchy deal, picking up Anita to reinforce the midfield and snagging a naturally wide winger should be higher priority than sealing up another striker.
I don't think we need Anita honestly. Losing Guthrie hurts, but Perch is a great squad player and Dan Gosling and Medhi Abeid can do a job as well. Not saying he wouldn't be welcome, but we have higher priorities.

Wingers are not too much of a concern if I'm being honest. Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Shane Ferguson, and Ryan Taylor can all do a job.

Striker and CB are very concerning to me. Imagine Cisse and Ba head off to AFCON.....since Best and Lovenkrands are gone, Shola Ameobi is out #1 striker with Nile Ranger possibly #2. That's atrocious.

CB is not quite a grim. Williamson is great cover, but behind him I don't really trust anyone. With Saylor having quite the injury history, it worries me quite a bit.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

I'll have to trust your sense of Newcastle's Squad players since I don't watch the EPL often enough to have strong opinions on those players. I like Anita a lot though, think a trio of him, Tiote and Cabaye could be your best chance at competing in midfield against the top teams in the EPL while still letting Ben Arfa have a free role as one of the front 3.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I'll have to trust your sense of Newcastle's Squad players since I don't watch the EPL often enough to have strong opinions on those players. I like Anita a lot though, think a trio of him, Tiote and Cabaye could be your best chance at competing in midfield against the top teams in the EPL while still letting Ben Arfa have a free role as one of the front 3.
I would ideally like to go 4-3-3 as well. I just think that Ba's morale will be a big issue if he isn't playing in the middle.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

The best news for Newcastle this year though is that Senegal and Ivory Coast play each other in a qualification game for AFCON. At least we won't be losing Cisse, Ba, and Tiote.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Just noticed Ramadan ends on August 17th this year! Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Hatem Ben Arfa, and Cheick Tiote can drink water during games!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just noticed Ramadan ends on August 17th this year! Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Hatem Ben Arfa, and Cheick Tiote can drink water during games!
That's great news! You could see the effects of it last year with Ba and Tiote. Ba didn't start playing well until it finished and Tiote looked sloppy in the first few games of the season.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Did anyone catch the Newcastle friendly today? Sammy Ameobi looked great....I could really see him emerging this year or next and taking Jonas' place in the starting 11.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm about to join the premierleague.com fantasy league, but whilst I was looking round I saw this. It's a draft based fantasy football league, so only one manager have have one player. I prefer that way much more than what it's usually like for soccer FF. I'll have a look and see if I can make a league.

Quote:
Did anyone catch the Newcastle friendly today? Sammy Ameobi looked great....I could really see him emerging this year or next and taking Jonas' place in the starting 11.
Apparently Gael Bigirmana has looked good as well. If he can step up and replace Danny Guthrie it would be a big bonus.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's intriguing. I like the idea of drafting a sleeper and then reaping all of the benefits. In the premierleague format, prices barely change and everyone jumps on the bargains. I could be into it.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
It's intriguing. I like the idea of drafting a sleeper and then reaping all of the benefits. In the premierleague format, prices barely change and everyone jumps on the bargains. I could be into it.
That's why I like it much more. And it gets boring when everyone has the same players, you just have to rely on a few players to get more points, than the other persons few players.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd prefer that as well. Didn't know such a thing existed.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

You have to pay for it :(

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You have to pay for it :(
Figures. That would have been much better even though I'd have been a little out of place on when to choose particular players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Crazy thought.

How about we do it ourselves. We could do an offline draft on here and then the people you pick in the draft are the only players you can buy. We could make a thread in the Fantasy Section, I could make a list of free agents etc etc...

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.comunio.co.uk/?language=en_US

goes by thesun grades though

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote