Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Areas to address in the draft?

Alright guys, we're a third of the way through the season so what do we see as areas to address in the draft?
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

our first rounder needs to be at OT. Lots of depth this draft and I wouldnt re-sign Gross to a 50 million dollar contract

after that, I dont know. I'd say safety, but we've been down that road already. I don't think TE is a pressing need whatsoever. I was impressed with King from what little I saw last season and have only grown moreso in that assertion this year.

DE is a concern, but you really gotta let Johnson/McClover fail for a year IMO first. Maybe DT? QB is in flux but bringing in a late rounder wouldnt solve anything. It'll be an interesting draft because other than safety we don't have any HUGE needs, but lots of places to improve. I'd expect lots of BPA picks
Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
our first rounder needs to be at OT. Lots of depth this draft and I wouldnt re-sign Gross to a 50 million dollar contract

after that, I dont know. I'd say safety, but we've been down that road already. I don't think TE is a pressing need whatsoever. I was impressed with King from what little I saw last season and have only grown moreso in that assertion this year.

DE is a concern, but you really gotta let Johnson/McClover fail for a year IMO first. Maybe DT? QB is in flux but bringing in a late rounder wouldnt solve anything. It'll be an interesting draft because other than safety we don't have any HUGE needs, but lots of places to improve. I'd expect lots of BPA picks

Fox and Hurney in my opinion have failed at drafting. Who knows what this promising class will end up doing, but right now I don't really think you can take too many positives from it. Jarrett is behind possibly the two worst second and third receivers.

Offensive tackle is a must. However, if they do it right they can find one in the second round. AKA Tony Ugoh of the Colts or Mcneil of the Chargers.

QB has got to be addressed. Fox has to realize by now that there are no good QBs in free agency for a reason. He has failed to make sure they are developing someone for the future and they are paying for it now. Sorry Foxy, but only once in a great while will you find a QB that you can build your franchise around in free agency. If he doesn't believe in developing a QB, then he really isn't cut out for being a head coach. Fox is an idiot if he thinks that David Carr can develop at all.

We must re-sign Harris. If we don't I will punch a hole through my wall. He has been our biggest play maker on a defense with guys a lot more talented than he is.

Linebacker is also a thing to watch out for. Depending on where Beason is we will draft the spot he is not. There are some good guys we could find in the later rounds.

Receiver- If this year turns south, and I expect it too, we need to find out what Jarrett can do. We need to get some guys who are tough and just make the catch and run their routes. We don't need superstars.

We need to start getting rookies in here that can contribute. We don't have the luxury right now to let us develop them.

My goal would be too start building IMO two of the most important units in the game: QB and the offensive line.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Harris is signed for at least one more season.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
Harris is signed for at least one more season.
I was under the impression that we signed him to a one year deal. Whatever, thats great news that we have at least one more year before Fox thinks his defense is too good for a decent safety.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

We traded a 5th rounder for Harris.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Quote:

I'd argue that OT is a huge need since both Wharton & Gross are free agents, and the only other OT on the roster is a waiver wire pick-up from final cuts that hasn't been active on gameday yet.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say we've been down that road before with safety. Are you saying we've discussed that to death?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

eh more or less

just that it's kinda "The Panthers are drafting a TE in the first round!!" v2.0 Maybe it happens next year but I wouldnt bet on it, especially since there arent any good S prospects after Phillips this year. I'm hoping we draft a ballhawk CB like Dwight Lowery in the mid rounds and convert him to S. Kills two bird with one stone, since he could be the 4th CB as well

I dont want us wasting another first rounder on a LB. We've put so much into that position recently I'll be pissed if we have to use another first on it. I'm not a huge James Anderson fan but he or someone else needs to step it up and take over WLB next year.

re OT 2nd round, etc. you can find good players anywhere in the draft but I dont trust Hurney to "find" a lineman. Remember drafting Mr. Footwork in the 3rd round? yea

If one of the top 3 QBs fall to our pick I wouldnt be shocked to see us pull the trigger but given our lack of developmental abilities I dont see a Colt Brennan, Ainge, etc working out
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
eh more or less

just that it's kinda "The Panthers are drafting a TE in the first round!!" v2.0 Maybe it happens next year but I wouldnt bet on it, especially since there arent any good S prospects after Phillips this year. I'm hoping we draft a ballhawk CB like Dwight Lowery in the mid rounds and convert him to S. Kills two bird with one stone, since he could be the 4th CB as well

I dont want us wasting another first rounder on a LB. We've put so much into that position recently I'll be pissed if we have to use another first on it. I'm not a huge James Anderson fan but he or someone else needs to step it up and take over WLB next year.

re OT 2nd round, etc. you can find good players anywhere in the draft but I dont trust Hurney to "find" a lineman. Remember drafting Mr. Footwork in the 3rd round? yea

If one of the top 3 QBs fall to our pick I wouldnt be shocked to see us pull the trigger but given our lack of developmental abilities I dont see a Colt Brennan, Ainge, etc working out
Yeah, we are really only good at drafting guys who are good enough to fix their own problems. Developing a potential pro bowler is completely out of the question. I am being serious by the way.

Hell, we have failed to capitalize on Peppers' talent by getting him to be a consistent pass rusher.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

That's pretty much what I thought you were getting at Schiz.

At this point I'm thinking either OT or QB with small hope of a S.

With the QB, I hope it's Ryan if we go that route. I really don't want to have to develop talent under this coaching staff honestly.

They've not shown the ability to change how Foster carries the ball, or get Jake to stop making the mistakes he's constantly made since he's been here (granted he looked better this year but it's hard to truly tell in just 3 games), or get Wharton to improve, etc., etc., etc..
Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

I'm not Ryan's biggest fan but I do believe he has the smallest bust factor out of the top three, so in that sense, I'd have him #1 on the Panthers' QB board. He does have a little bit of Delhomme in him now that I think about it. I think Woodson has the highest upside by far, but I don't trust this staff with him at all. Brohm is kind of in between, though I've never liked him to begin with...at least with Ryan it's just that I think he's a bit overrated. I mean, do we really want a guy that got outperformed by Stefan LeFors the year they platooned at QB?

I don't think it matters that much...unless Fox is fired (which I dont see happening), I doubt QB is given much consideration. I think that ship sailed with Quinn. I don't like Quinn either, but with the Weis connections Fox has if we were going to pull a trigger on a round 1 QB, it was then.

One thing I will say on S vs TE in the draft. I do feel that S is a bigger position to fill. I kind of agreed with what seems Fox/Hurney's philosophy in not wasting a pick on a TE in the first round. Outside of the top 3-5 guys at that position, it's just not worth that kind of value. Not sure I agree so much on S but it's a moot point, especially this year
Old 10-28-2007, 10:31 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not Ryan's biggest fan but I do believe he has the smallest bust factor out of the top three, so in that sense, I'd have him #1 on the Panthers' QB board. He does have a little bit of Delhomme in him now that I think about it. I think Woodson has the highest upside by far, but I don't trust this staff with him at all. Brohm is kind of in between, though I've never liked him to begin with...at least with Ryan it's just that I think he's a bit overrated. I mean, do we really want a guy that got outperformed by Stefan LeFors the year they platooned at QB?

I don't think it matters that much...unless Fox is fired (which I dont see happening), I doubt QB is given much consideration. I think that ship sailed with Quinn. I don't like Quinn either, but with the Weis connections Fox has if we were going to pull a trigger on a round 1 QB, it was then.

One thing I will say on S vs TE in the draft. I do feel that S is a bigger position to fill. I kind of agreed with what seems Fox/Hurney's philosophy in not wasting a pick on a TE in the first round. Outside of the top 3-5 guys at that position, it's just not worth that kind of value. Not sure I agree so much on S but it's a moot point, especially this year
Agree on Ryan. He isn't the OMG prospect, but he to me is more safe than Brohm. I would like Woodson a lot, but he won't be there. Brohm has never impressed me, he plays in a spread offense and he rarely has to make tight throws.

I am not sure though about coaching. As far as QB, I think we may be getting better. Jake looked so great this year, he was better than ever by a large margin. He was looking like a real pro bowler. But, then there is David Carr, is it him or the coaches? I have to think it is him, Kubiak couldn't do anything, and it doesn't look like we can either.

If we can't get QB in the first, I say LT is the pick you have got to make. Its pretty bad that Safety is so shallow this year. But maybe someone will step up, Wilson, Salley or someone else. (Prayers I know haha)
Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Well the good news is I'm fully confident in Harris for the future. So we only need one guy at that spot. Only problem is we went from Minter + scrub to Harris + scrub. Ah well

I'm on the QB bandwagon now, even though I wasn't last week. I didnt realize how awful the QB class is for 2009. It blows real hard unless some juniors come out (and drafting a junior QB would be a bad idea anyway) so we need to get someone this year. Even if it's a Brennan/Henne type
Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well the good news is I'm fully confident in Harris for the future. So we only need one guy at that spot. Only problem is we went from Minter + scrub to Harris + scrub. Ah well

I'm on the QB bandwagon now, even though I wasn't last week. I didnt realize how awful the QB class is for 2009. It blows real hard unless some juniors come out (and drafting a junior QB would be a bad idea anyway) so we need to get someone this year. Even if it's a Brennan/Henne type

Harris showed had some great plays in that game. I love him so freaking much! That tip away was awesome.

I gasped when you said Brennan and Henne. Neither IMO have the brains to do it. I want the smartest, most determined guys we can find who has good talent. I value smarts and determination to learn more than throwing the ball 60 yards like Byron Leftwich, but not like Pennington.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Honestly I liked Matt Moore coming into this draft as a late round pick, so we can see what he brings. But...I don't know. I guarantee we won't get to see much of him this year because we'll manage to be just good enough to stay in contention and then if we go 4 games into 2008 with the David Carr Experience then let Moore and Basanez finish out the last 12 it just seems like a waste, since we'll have to do the same thing in 2009 with an old, injured Delhomme and the 1st round draft pick du jour.

I don't like Henne and Brennan is too much of a risk, but I'm just saying we need to get someone...even if the top 3 are gone by the time we pick (which is unlikely, but possible). What I'm looking for as the first test in a college QB is at least three years as a starter and a career completion % over 60% (improvement every year is a big plus too). Once you get everyone eliminated who fails that then the peripheral things like mobility, arm, touch, pocket presence and smarts come. Actually, you know what, I think I'll cut this post off here since it's getting long and start a new one with all the QBs, focusing more on the guys after Woodson/Ryan/Brohm