Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

MaddHatter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Keys to Beating the Eagles

Per Thule's comments, let's discuss the upcoming divisonal games and what to expect and what to do to beat them.

1st off - Dallas at Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles will be coming out of a game with the Vikings in which I predict they will lose a defensive battle. That being said, anytime you have to go to Philly to play, it's going to be a hard game, whether they're 0-8 or 8-0.

The key to stopping the Eagles offense revolves around stopping Westbrook. McNabb isn't playing like his probowl self, and when your best WR is Reggie Brown, you have problems. I think the key here is to get pressure on McNabb so that he makes mistakes and then preventing Westbrook from making big plays out of dump off passes (like Lynch did to us.) This is a team who has scored 16+pts only once this year and our Defense has done a great job of holding teams to less then 10pts outside of NE and NYG.

On the other side of the ball, I think we need to come out passing like we did against Minny and make their DL wear themselves out rushing after Romo. The reason their D has been so good is b/c they are solid in the Red Zone where you have to run the ball, butl I don't think they can hold up against our massive OL if they've been sprinting up and down the field all day. That being said, I'd like to see Barber have another 20 carry game with a nice spell of JJ.

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what we did against Minnesota, a lot of short passes all over the field. That opened up the running game.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pressure is the key, point blank...the Eagles have offensive line troubles all over, and cant protect the qb...we should have a field day sending blitzes, once that happens we should shut down Kevin Curtis having time to get down the field(who is the best wr, not brown) because he has a great chance to beat us deep if we dont get pressure...

Another thing to take note of is Westbrook on a screen play whenever we get used 2 sending the house on a blitz, I can see that play burning us if we dont keep our eyes open for it...Im not worried about Westbrook beating us on the ground, we do pretty solid against fast/quick backs, its him out of the backfield, lined up with James/Roy/Ayodele or any other mis-match he presents...none of those guys can run with him, if we dont address it, its going to be a long and miserable day

And I really want to come out and play great football these next 3 weeks, this Philly game should not be close if we execute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure all Dallas has to do is show up to the game
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

All our Division opponents will give us fits.

Philly game boils down to how McNabb gets the ball downfield. If he can get the ball to Curtis -- we will have trouble stopping them.

Offensively, we will put up 28-35 points.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
All our Division opponents will give us fits.

Philly game boils down to how McNabb gets the ball downfield. If he can get the ball to Curtis -- we will have trouble stopping them.

Offensively, we will put up 28-35 points.

If we put up 28-35 IMO we will win comfortably. The key to the game is protecting the football and limiting our penalties.
I've already predicted a sweep so obviously I see us winning.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM    (permalink
yno88
Rookie

yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.

I think the OP has it right.

To beat Philly we've gotta contain Westbrook. The back in the flat has been an achilles heel for us since the Mike Zimmer days, and Philly is creative in finding non-traditional ways to get it to him (like the little shovel pass yesterday).
yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As an Eagles fan, I can tell you guys that you are on the right track. Your 3-4 DLine has to really hold up and contain on the runs, and the OLB's have to contain Westbrook out in space. When they get into third and longs, the Cowboys need to blitz McNabb up the middle to prevent him from stepping forward. His accuracy running forward is fantastic, but he's still struggling with his touch on the run. If you hit him enough, he will start to crumble.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with much that has been said, I'd focus all my efforts on Westbrook and force McNabb to beat me (which I'm not sure he can).
Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

Watching McNabb yesterday, he looked slower and less accurate then he has ever looked in years past... Maybe the Eagles knew something when they took Kolb with their first pick

Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um, McNabb looked probably his best this season. Consistent overall. Missed only a few throws and showed better burst. The fact that he called himself on a draw play is evidence that he and Reid both feel much better about his condition. He's not 100% (nor will he be this season), but he's getting better. Reggie Brown and Curtis are both getting involved as well.

If I'm the Cowboys, I absolutely make McNabb beat me, though.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not very confident in this game. Mostly because it's in Philly and they always give us fits there.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Philly and Dallas tend to split their games. Doesn't matter who is better or worse or what year. Over the last 25-30 years, it should be pretty even.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

All time, Dallas is 51-41 vs. the Eagles. Considering how horrid the Eagles have been over time, that's really pretty interesting...

Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to know what Dallas' record is in Philly, specifically in the last 15 to 20 years.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'd love to know what Dallas' record is in Philly, specifically in the last 15 to 20 years.
From 1960 to 1979 the Cowboys are up 11 to 8
From 1980 to 1999 the Cowboys are up 10 to 9
From 2000 to 2006 the Cowboys are down 1 to 6 (only win in 2005)

All time, were 22 to 23 playing at Philly

Old 10-30-2007, 02:29 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just for the record...I highly doubt we see the same gameplan we used against Minnesota. First of all we were at home...Second of all we were playing a cover 2 team and were forced to dink and dunk until romo got outside of the pocket.

In this game it will be about exploiting the blitz on offense. Once again we are playing a team that is weak in the middle. Another thing to look at is will Dawkins be back...He has stated his frustration with not playing so if he gets on the field it will help that eagles defense. But crossing routes and deep routes are going to score us these points. Don't expect Romo to be as efficient percentage wise this week...we will be going down the field more than average against an attacking defense. It's safe to say we will put up 30 pts imo.

On the other side of the ball it's basically spy westbrook with Roy. We did it against Adrian Peterson last week after the first drive and it was effective. After rewatching the game I noticed that we brought Roy up after the first drive and MN wasn't able to run the rest of the game....Roy was a huge reason for our defensive dominance last week and he'll be a big reason this week too. So look for a lot nickel/dime looks. We will use Ware/Ellis/Spencer quite a bit this week....looking for Ellis to slide in more than usual this week. Ware should be disruptive this game....our containment has been great this year so I'm not worried about the perimeter really either. Basically get consistent pressure and we'll be fine.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I would LOVE to see Roy attempt to cover Westbrook out of the backfield. In the screen game, that would probably work well, but on swing passes and other routes, he has no prayer. I think you're almost better off using Ware than Roy.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For what it is worth,

1) If there is a game where WP Scheme should make a difference with the "Pass Rush" it should be this one. If we get sacks we should win

2) Roy as a LB spying Westbrook is not a bad situation in passing downs. He runs well side to side and when the ball is in front of him plays ok.

3) Roy as a SS in any capacity ........ ug. Repeat last year.

4) Let us see how Romo plays ..... ball security is key versus Eagles. We secure the ball and get sacks -- we win comfortably
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would go on record sayind ad in space is just as dangerous as westbrook in space. Like rob said roy is just fine moving forward its when that ball is high in the air he seems to take bad angles.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

There is no way that Roy is going to keep up with Westbrook in space in any capacity. You can't possibly believe that AD and Westbrook are comparable at this time as receivers.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
There is no way that Roy is going to keep up with Westbrook in space in any capacity. You can't possibly believe that AD and Westbrook are comparable at this time as receivers.
Westbrook may have the more shift approach...but AD leads all players in 40+ plays from the LOS. While I think Westbrook is quite crafty out in space I don't think it is as big of gap from the receiving standpoint as we are lead to believe.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

That is mildly irrelevant. AD has one of the best OLines and one of the best offensive minds in the game working with him. He is also more physically gifted than Westbrook in terms of his size and strength.

However, Westbrook has probably the best acceleration of anyone at RB in the NFL and more elusiveness. How else could he rack up the stats he has this year with a hobbled McNabb and limited WR options. He gets spied and doubled by everyone and still dominates games.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im surprised at how so many of you are sleeping on the Eagles. They will not be an easy out at all. Especially at the Linc. And Weapon X will be back. We all know he's the anchor that holds that defense together. Its no surprise that their defense wasn't the same without him.

Not sure if Lito will play though.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Im surprised at how so many of you are sleeping on the Eagles. They will not be an easy out at all. Especially at the Linc. And Weapon X will be back. We all know he's the anchor that holds that defense together. Its no surprise that their defense wasn't the same without him.

Not sure if Lito will play though.
I know is not that easy, but the Eagles problem is on offense not on defense. By the way, I am one of Northeast Cowboys fan.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote