Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mr. Stillers Week 8 Draft

I'm a proponent of making the first round pick the best one. I don't care what position frankly. If there's a great Center on the board and we need one.. sexy pick or not.. I take him. Without further adu.

1) Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida ~ 6'5 252lbs 4.69

Last year some wanted Jarvis Moss or Anthony Spencer with the #1 pick. However, we went with our future Mack ILB in Lawrence Timmons. We then added our future SOLB in LaMarr Woodley. We need a ROLB that can beat a LT 1-on-1 without the need of constant scheming. We haven't had a ROLB to do that since Lloyd left. Lloyd could actually beat a LT without constant scheming help. Porter, Harrison tend to need a lot of help from the DB's to cover too well and they rarely get to the QB. Harvey has the speed and capability to be a solid OLB, meanwhile he's at pro-necessary size. He's a dominant complete DE (Against the run and great sack artist) and should make a great future WOLB. With a year behind Harrison, he and Woodley can dominate the league.

2) Jeffrey Otah, RG/RT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340lbs 5.24

A little high for a franchise RT? Perhaps, though the fact remains the kid is a beast. With Colon being more suited for Guard, and Faneca's likely departure it would be nice to bring in a guy to sit for a year and continue to progress. Otah is a driving blocker that has solid lateral speed for pass blocking. We could really use some help in the run game as it seems that none of our guys are driving blockers off the ball. With his sheer size he could play RG as well. He could challenge for time at RT or RG as a rookie. RT will allow Colon to slide to LG.. RG and Simmons will be hte LG for a season.

3) Duane Brown, LT, Virginia Tech ~ 6'5 308lbs 4.98

With the need of a LT of the future we decide the best route to go is grab Duane Brown in the 3rd and re-sign Marvel for another 2 years. That at worst will give Brown 3 years to move into the LT position. He has pro size, LT footwork, is solid but not great run blocker. I'm looking at him to take over LT in 1.5 years which gives him enough time to bulk up and work on his run blocking. By that time we'll have one of the best young duo's at bookend.

4) Nick Hayden, DL, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 315 5.06

Hayden is the perfect replacement for Kirschke and future at LDE. McBean is never going to be a SDE in our scheme IMO. Hayden has potential at all 3 positions. He can play 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE and some 3-4 NT like Aaron Smith does. He can take Easons backup spot and work behind Aaron Smith to take over in the future.

5) Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn ~ 6'0 195 4.41

We need corner depth with us likely not resigning Ricardo Colclough. DeShea is aging. Ike is still our #1, McFadden likely the #2 next year. G*y likely moving up to #3. Lee can be a #5 as a rookie getting some time in pre-season and as a gunner/ST's player. He'll work under Tomlin to be a future Corner. He has 1 thing that no one outside of Ike Possesses.. Elite Speed. Once developed, he'll cover the WR's that McFadden can't.

6) Eric Foster, DT->ILB, Rutgers ~ 6'2 265lbs 4.77

With most of our day 2 picks never making the team, I figure we'll take a gander here. Tedy Bruschi was a former College DT and he turned out as a solid ILB in a 3-4. Foster is a great DT for Rutgers. He has great speed for his size (LaMarr Woodley speed/Size). He's played DT for the last two years at Rutgers (after 4 years in HS and 2 in college at MLB, so he has some MLB experience). Foster comes in and replaces Kreidwaldt (Who's contract is up this season). He starts as a backup Buck ILB, and ST's guy, who will work his way into being Farriors replacement. He's also a great leader and big heart guy. That'll be great as he could be the D Leader when Farrior Retires. Here's the cool part. With his size/speed he could still play DT occasionally in our 4-3 scheme as a UT. He's one of the best DT's in the NCAA at shedding tackles and making plays in the backfield:

2007: 27.5 Tackles, 6.5 TFL's, 1.5 Sacks, 1 PD, 10 QBH in 8 games
2006: 51 Tackles, 14 TFL's, 6 Sacks, 4 PD, 8 QBH

That tells me he's disruptive, penetrates into the backfield and makes a lot of players.

*7 ~ Traded to Atlanta for Allen Rossum

Priority UDFA's:

*Kevin O'Connell, QB, San Diego State ~ 6'6 230lbs 4.93
More of a Traditional pocket passer, but possesses great size. He can move though, don't confuse pocket passer with statue. He's a player in the mold of Roethlisberger as well. Moves around the pocket avoiding would-be tacklers to make a play. I think he'd flourish as a #3 to take Batch's spot.

*Michael Pitre, H-back, UCLA ~ 5'11 242lbs 4.59
Pitre is a guy that can do many things for this squad. I think he'd be a better H-back than Carey Davis, he's also a bit quicker.

*Kolo Kapanui, TE, West Texas A&M ~ 6'4 268lbs 4.69
Kolo won't get drafted because he's really not a great receiver. He doesn't possess top notch speed. He is a tenacious blocker and provides this team with a #3 TE behind Spaeth and Miller. With his blocking ability they can allow Miller and Spaeth go out as receivers more often.

*Mikey Henderson, WR/KR/PR, Georgia ~ 5'8 163lbs 4.29
Henderson likely won't ever play in a regular game, but he could be an elite game-breaking return ability. He's a great returner in the SEC.. His size will allow him to fall undrafted, but he's never muffed a punt and has 2 TD's on Punt Returns to his name.

*Hercules Satele, C/LG, Hawaii ~ 6'1 308lbs 5.18
We added Darnell Stapleton last season, though he's a tad undersized at 285. With the likely losses on the OL (Faneca, Starks..) and contracts (Kemo/Essex) Wouldn't be bad to bring In Satele to give depth at LG and C. He's a Squat monster who excels at pass blocking. We could probably use a pass blocking Interior lineman for once.

*Derek Uperesa, OG/RT, St. Francis (PA) ~ 6'6 330lbs 5.21
Uperesa is a beast. He plays in weak conference. He's much bigger beast than Capizzi last year. He can play LT. I'm liking him as Starks eventual Successor. Once Otah takes over RT and Colon slides to LG, Uperesa will be the RG/RT Swingman.

*Jason Jones, DE/OLB/ILB, Eastern Michigan ~ 6'5 268lbs 4.73
Jones is easily the strongest man on the Eastern Mich. DL. He's playing NT. He could do a variety of things for us. They could stash him on the PS to bulk up for 3-4 DE. He's only about 12lbs away and could be that Rover DE that we're using Keisel as. Just slide him to LOLB learning behind Haggans. With some time he could be a good 1-2 Punch on the weakside with Woodley. or even with his DT experience, he could be a ULB. A utility guy like Harrison was for his first 4 years. Playing OLB and ILB when needed. I really like the potential for this kid.

*Josh Thompson, NT, Auburn ~ 6'0 312lbs 5.19
Thompson is a guy that is in work. He's a high motor guy and has a non-stop motor. He's not a top tier player and may never be a great NT. But he does give us some depth and could potentially let Hokie play a DE/NT role and really give us some depth at the DL. Hayden, McBean, Thompson and my next guy could give us a lot of depth and provide some great young talent.

*Steven Coleman, DE/DT, Oklahoma ~ 6'5 305 5.12
Coleman is an underrated tackle. He's been quiet this season but he exploded last year. He'll come as a PS player and could work his way.. McBean, Thompson, Hayden, Coleman as young guys with Smith, Keisel, Hokie and Hampton as the starters. That gives some legs behind the starters.

*Charles Godfrey, CB/FS, Iowa ~ 6'0 208lbs 4.38
Godfrey is a pure coverage corner. He could play some FS if needed but he's a great coverage corner and he hits like a truck. He needs to show some more effort in the run game. Works onto the roster.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 10-28-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it man, it definately covers our needs. Do you think that Harvey is the best option there (i dont know much about college football)... i've seen allot of ppl pick Groves/Blake etc for us. Who do you rate as the best value DE/3-4 OLB in this draft???
Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
I like it man, it definately covers our needs. Do you think that Harvey is the best option there (i dont know much about college football)... i've seen allot of ppl pick Groves/Blake etc for us. Who do you rate as the best value DE/3-4 OLB in this draft???
Right now I'm split.

Gholston is the freak, Harvey is the tactician/Mr. Consistent.

Groves is nearly worthless against the run.

Blake hasn't played more than 1 game this season. He's been missing games for "Personal Reasons"

Right now I take Harvey because I think we need a guy to contribute early. I think Gholston has slightly more upside, but Harvey is more consistent from the get go.

I can see 3 teams going OLB early.. Us, NYJ, and Arizona. I think Arizona grabs Groves because with Whisenhunt, Groves resembles Porter. 6'3 255lbs and Groves could be a great coverage 3-4 OLB with his speed.

NYJ will take Gholston because of his intangible #'s. He's going to run a 4.5/4.6 40 at 6'4 262lbs and he's played some 3-4 OLB at OSU.

I think Harvey falls to us because he'll likely run a 4.69-4.72 at 6'5 252lbs.

Blake I think went from being a fringe 1st round rounder to a day 2 pick.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another great write up for the UDFA's (i love me some underdogs), Jason Jones sounds interesting, will he go undrafted? Grade A-

p.s Where do you get all this information???

Last edited by Jakey : 10-30-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I truely hate a round 1 tweener. We dont need anymore LBs. We have Timmons who is gonna be waiting awhile to replace either Farrior or Foote and get a full workload and Woodley despite his great play this year isnt starting bc the play of Harrison and Haggans. Bottom line is LB may just be our strongest and deepest postion. We need o-line, d-line, cb and rb.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
I truely hate a round 1 tweener. We dont need anymore LBs. We have Timmons who is gonna be waiting awhile to replace either Farrior or Foote and get a full workload and Woodley despite his great play this year isnt starting bc the play of Harrison and Haggans. Bottom line is LB may just be our strongest and deepest postion. We need o-line, d-line, cb and rb.
Obviously you've missed the last 2-3 weeks that we've had Absolutely no pass rush.

Neither Haggans or Harrison can beat a OT 1 on 1 with any consistency.

Harrison is 30, Haggans is leaving. We need an Elite ROLB that can actually take on LT's and beat them. Harrison isn't doing it and Haggans isn't doing it.

Woodley isn't playing because they don't like starting Rookies. He doesn't have the coverages down completely. Woodley in spot play has as many sacks as Haggans done with a considerably smaller workload. Woodley can also beat an OT.

I think they're letting their players develop. But that still doesn't mean we don't need another DE/OLB. We need a ROLB, because Haggans is in a contract year and he fades out the second half of every season, so he should start fading now.

I addressed the OL/DL where it held most value.

Why do we need RB again? Parker, Davenport have been a potent 1-2 punch. Not to mention that we still haven't seen what Gary Russell has to offer in game time. (Though from what I hear he's becoming more of a team player, a worker in the weight room and he's becoming even more explosive.)

Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was at the Ohio State Penn State game this weekend and i can tell you that Gholston was great. He was all over the place.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
We need a better and more consistant pass rush

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
We need a better and more consistant pass rush
Exactly. We need LB's that can win 1on1 battles without having to rely on scheme and blitzes everytime to generate a pass rush.

Woodley should fix the Left side of the defense, Timmons should give us a guy that can consistently cover a TE and some WR's. Play Dime LB.

Farrior seems to have 2-3 good years left in him.

We need a Weakside OLB that can beat a LT. Harrison can't do it with any consistency. He's also having trouble in coverage. He's amazing against the run and should rack up some tackles that way, but I think we need someone with a little less Run stopping ability (Harvey/Gholston) and better pass coverage/pass rushing ability.

DBS,

I agree. I'd be fine with either Gholston or Harvey. I'm not a fan of Blake or Groves anymore. Groves has been injury prone, and doesn't seem to be solid in the run game period.

As for Farrior.. I've been compiling a list of guys that I'm looking to find his successor with.

2008: Beau Bell, Ezra Butler, Vernon Gholston, Eric Foster(DT->ILB), Jason Jones(DT/DE->ILB/OLB)
2009: Erin Henderson, Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, Antonio Appleby, Dave Philistin, Daniel Holtzclaw, Marcus Freeman.
2010: Gerald McGrath, Sergio Kindle, Brandon Spikes, Micah Johnson, Austin Spitler, Anthony Lewis.
2011: Manny Abreu, Jonas Mouton, Josh Tatum, Chris Galippo, Chris Strong, Alex Wujciak..

I'm sure there's more but these are the top tier guys I've been looking at.

I really like Foster/Jones. They could play ILB or OLB in our scheme. They play DT but at both undersized at 265lbs. Run in the 4.7's. Jones is 6'4 Foster is 6'2. I think Foster is the prototype Buck. He makes tons of plays in the backfield.. runs in the 4.7's like Farrior and he can rush the passer. even play UT in Dime situations.