Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It all depends on Hudson's assestment of Free. He is probably the closest thing to a LT on the roster. Hudson is making a lot of money; Maybe he can make a good LT out of Free.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still not happy that Barber hasn't been resigned yet.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
It all depends on Hudson's assestment of Free. He is probably the closest thing to a LT on the roster. Hudson is making a lot of money; Maybe he can make a good LT out of Free.
Like making a delicious apple pie out of rotten apples.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I read somewhere that Stephen Jones recently (within the last week) came on to Michael Irvins show and said Barbers contract is in the works.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Or Moyal

If he's not franchsied, I'd be elated with the King taking a run at Jared Allen. He's a dominant pass rusher at a position of relative need- we don't have a defensive end who does much other than plug running gaps. He's also 25 and was born in Dallas (meaningless, but a nice caveat anyway).
Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm still not happy that Barber hasn't been resigned yet.
right there with you, its pissing me off!!! there have been several different reports that we were close, yet nothing. i sure hope he isn't traded. hopefully jerry wasn't BSing wen he said there was no deal w/ barber in it
Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Moyal View Post
If he's not franchsied, I'd be elated with the King taking a run at Jared Allen. He's a dominant pass rusher at a position of relative need- we don't have a defensive end who does much other than plug running gaps. He's also 25 and was born in Dallas (meaningless, but a nice caveat anyway).
eh, too much money, he might not be a good 3-4 DE fit, we have ratliff, hatcher, and canty at end. we need an all-star NT. CB or NT should be the defensive positions we are concerned with.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
welcome to the forums btw

Last edited by GDWTheSickness : 02-07-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yall need to relax...these things will come in time...plus they're all at the pro bowl right now so, I'm sure there hasnt been much discussion going on. Jeez, the season just ended last weekend. We've got plenty of time. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
If we were running a 4-3 Defense, Allen makes sense. But since we're not, I don't see the fit at all. He's more valuable to a 4-3 team than a 3-4. He'd need to bulk up at least 20 more pounds to play as an effective 3-4 DE, and if he did that, he'd be a completely different player.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
If we were running a 4-3 Defense, Allen makes sense. But since we're not, I don't see the fit at all. He's more valuable to a 4-3 team than a 3-4. He'd need to bulk up at least 20 more pounds to play as an effective 3-4 DE, and if he did that, he'd be a completely different player.
.......agreed.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Yall need to relax...these things will come in time...plus they're all at the pro bowl right now so, I'm sure there hasnt been much discussion going on. Jeez, the season just ended last weekend. We've got plenty of time. haha.
Just antsy. Not panicked. There's a difference.

I wouldn't be feeling this way if the Dallas news didn't come out last week saying Barber would sign in the next coming day or two. It's been more than just a day or two.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Or Moyal -- You post in the blogging the boys discussion, correct?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did we ever get a link to that?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like making a delicious apple pie out of rotten apples.
Do you not like Free?

The talk was pretty positive on him before he hurt his knee last year if memory serves. The Goose was pretty high us getting him where we got him in the draft.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

You guys are incorrect. Flo will cost $9 Million if we franchise him:

Quote:
Adams actually ended up costing $7.5 million against the 2007 cap when you factor in a $500,000 incentive he picked up for making the Pro Bowl again. The franchise pay is either the average of the top-five cap figures or a 20 percent increase over what the player made the previous year.

So instead of making $7.455 million as a franchise player in 2008, Adams would actually cost the Cowboys $9 million. That might change the argument a little bit for some people. It does for me, especially with all of the restructuring you would have to do to re-sign other players.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

i really like Free's potential, i thought he did an excellent job in training camp and the preseason last year. but preseason is pretty different from the regular season. but i do like his potential
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Do you not like Free?

The talk was pretty positive on him before he hurt his knee last year if memory serves. The Goose was pretty high us getting him where we got him in the draft.
Let's just put it this way. If Flozell isn't back... and all we got are Free and McQuistan... I'll be terrified for Romo's blindside and left side running game.

Does anybody know how Free's injury recovery is or has been? He's so soft and so fragile, I don't know if anybody got his daily injury report.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDWTheSickness View Post
i really like Free's potential, i thought he did an excellent job in training camp and the preseason last year. but preseason is pretty different from the regular season. but i do like his potential
I like Free as a Guard better than a tackle.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Let's just put it this way. If Flozell isn't back... and all we got are Free and McQuistan... I'll be terrified for Romo's blindside and left side running game.

Does anybody know how Free's injury recovery is or has been? He's so soft and so fragile, I don't know if anybody got his daily injury report.
I think it was just a sprained MCL; He was fine a couple of weeks into the season.

I certainly am not 100% comfortable with letting Flo go, but I feel confident that if they do, they have taken Hudson's opinion strongly into consideration and feel confident he can coach him up.

Quote:
I like Free as a Guard better than a tackle.
I thought Free's strength was his height and athletic ability. His weakness was his upper body strength.

Isn't guard magnifying his weaknesses and minimizing his strengths?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen is a lock to be franchised anyway...

And Barber is a restricted free agent, not un-restricted, so im not too worried...id just like to get him, Canty, and Hamlin locked up and then go from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Here's some refresher on what was being said on Free:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/94328

http://www.rookiepedia.com/index.php?title=Doug_Free

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=1187

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/...hern-illinois/

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Bring Flozell back for 9M/year would be a huge mistake.

He really gets the benefit of the doubt for the job he does, but a lot of credit goes to Romo for buying time and getting the ball out quickly. We run better out of the right side behind Davis and Columbo than Adams and Kosier... and Columbo isn't even a good run blocker.

Compound the fact that he's 33, going to be 34 next season and I think we'd be nuts to bring him back. If he's to come back, he needs to take a pay cut from what he's gotten in the past and for no more than a 2 year deal. No need to franchise him. He's not that good. Let's be honest. Flozell has is very inconsistent. His nickname is False Start Flozell. ...and once he gets beat off the line once, he usually lets his guy go and isn't able to recover.

I've been clamoring for a long time now that we need to find a replacement at LT for him and that Free and McQuistan aren't the answers. Free needs to get snaps at Guard and get ready to take over or compete for Kosier's job. We need to come away with an elite LT prospect in this draft on the first day.

LT is one position that if you have an elite prospect, they have shown to be NFL ready from Day 1. Look at Tony Ugoh (Colts), Joe Thomas (Browns), Jamaal Brown (Saints), Marcus McNeill (Chargers), Levi Brown (Cards)... Pick'em right and there is a good chance you have a future LT for the next decade. 9M on Flozell??? Don't try to make me laugh.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bring Flozell back for 9M/year would be a huge mistake.

He really gets the benefit of the doubt for the job he does, but a lot of credit goes to Romo for buying time and getting the ball out quickly. We run better out of the right side behind Davis and Columbo than Adams and Kosier... and Columbo isn't even a good run blocker.

Compound the fact that he's 33, going to be 34 next season and I think we'd be nuts to bring him back. If he's to come back, he needs to take a pay cut from what he's gotten in the past and for no more than a 2 year deal. No need to franchise him. He's not that good. Let's be honest. Flozell has is very inconsistent. His nickname is False Start Flozell. ...and once he gets beat off the line once, he usually lets his guy go and isn't able to recover.

I've been clamoring for a long time now that we need to find a replacement at LT for him and that Free and McQuistan aren't the answers. Free needs to get snaps at Guard and get ready to take over or compete for Kosier's job. We need to come away with an elite LT prospect in this draft on the first day.

LT is one position that if you have an elite prospect, they have shown to be NFL ready from Day 1. Look at Tony Ugoh (Colts), Joe Thomas (Browns), Jamaal Brown (Saints), Marcus McNeill (Chargers), Levi Brown (Cards)... Pick'em right and there is a good chance you have a future LT for the next decade. 9M on Flozell??? Don't try to make me laugh.
The problem, as I see it, is that there will not be an elite LT where they pick. In fact, I think there's only one elite LT in this draft and he's not as good as Joe Thomas, so where does that leave us?

Seriously, I don't think there is a guy we can draft that will be better on day one than Doug Free who has a year into our system and our S&C program.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't see where the Free at guard talk is coming from. He is not ever mentioned as a guard in any evaluations I saw prior to draft. In fact, they all talk about one of his biggest strengths is his quickness and ability to get his hands on speed rushers. Now, I did see some reports that thought Marten might be better suited for guard.

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 02-07-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The problem, as I see it, is that there will not be an elite LT where they pick. In fact, I think there's only one elite LT in this draft and he's not as good as Joe Thomas, so where does that leave us?

Seriously, I don't think there is a guy we can draft that will be better on day one than Doug Free who has a year into our system and our S&C program.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't see where the Free at guard talk is coming from. He is not ever mentioned as a guard in any evaluations I saw prior to draft. In fact, they all talk about one of his biggest strengths is his quickness and ability to get his hands on speed rushers. Now, I did see some reports that thought Marten might be better suited for guard.
I've always thought if Free didn't work out at tackle that he could easily suit up at Guard. I found it funny that in your own link it said, "May be looked at as a guard in NFL". http://www.rookiepedia.com/index.php?title=Doug_Free

I had to laugh. :D

As far as LT prospects who could easily fill in for Flozell and save us 9M per year...

Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Chris Williams
Jeff Otah
Anthony Collins
Sam Baker
Gosder Cherilous
Carl Nicks
Tony Hills (if healthy)

I'd take any of 'em. OT is a position that you WANT to spend a first rounder on. OT, DE, DT, CB, S are positions where you definitely want to spend a first rounder on.