Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I've always thought if Free didn't work out at tackle that he could easily suit up at Guard. I found it funny that in your own link it said, "May be looked at as a guard in NFL". http://www.rookiepedia.com/index.php?title=Doug_Free

I had to laugh. :D
I saw that too, but don't they really say that about all OTs that struggle? Hey, let's try him at guard!

Quote:
As far as LT prospects who could easily fill in for Flozell and save us 9M per year...

Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Chris Williams
Jeff Otah
Anthony Collins
Sam Baker
Gosder Cherilous
Carl Nicks
Tony Hills (if healthy)

I'd take any of 'em. OT is a position that you WANT to spend a first rounder on. OT, DE, DT, CB, S are positions where you definitely want to spend a first rounder on.
I'm not opposed to spending a 1st rounder on an OT, and some of those may be better than Free in the long run. I guess my point is after a year in our system, I think there is maybe 3 of those guys tops, that would come in day one and start over Free.

Of course, I don't watch them practice and I have no inside info so I have no idea how they feel about Free within the organization. I think it's safe to say that if they don't resign Flo and don't go OT early, they will be penciling in Free at LT.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

we will all have a better feel for this OT situation by mid march. it's a crapshoot right now.i saw we need to find out if Free is the answer, and see if flozell will sign to a mid-level deal3-5 mil a year for 1-2 yrs.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The real key to us winning the SB relies on the OL. I'm worried about LT and LG.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand and agree 100%. I tend to agree with your assestment of Flo previously in the post. He's been good to very good, but it's just not wise to invest that much money in a guy his age and health. I just hope we don't reach and grab one of these OT too early.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's remember something else....Hudson loves big lineman....the name to start thinking about at the end of the 1st is Carl Nicks....ability to play inside right away...with the long term potential to be out on the leftside. Worst comes to worse....Marten can't hack it on the right side....Nicks could play out there...I really think he fits the picture...other guys that make a lot of sense are Williams and Otah...but I have no feeling that either of those guys will be available with our 2nd first.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Nicks might be an option if we trade up, do you like him at LG or OT though?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:36 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDWTheSickness View Post
Nicks might be an option if we trade up, do you like him at LG or OT though?
I think his best position is RT, the Guard. I'm still having difficulty seeing him as a LT. I don't think he's nimble enough.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Who's to say Columbo isn't our long term answer at RT. I think everyone has written him off and for no good reason.

Former 1st rounder who was plagued with injuries. Got healthy and has played well for 2 years. Shut down Strahan and Kampman among other this year. He isn't old for the position. He isn't going to command a huge pay day. I really don't see why we wouldn't hold onto him.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of LT, what if we were stuck with Leonard Davis as the only option(Free and McQ don't work out; Flo not resigned, none drafted), how would you guys feel about that? I would be sick and have to think this would be the worse case scenario.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Who's to say Columbo isn't our long term answer at RT. I think everyone has written him off and for no good reason.

Former 1st rounder who was plagued with injuries. Got healthy and has played well for 2 years. Shut down Strahan and Kampman among other this year. He isn't old for the position. He isn't going to command a huge pay day. I really don't see why we wouldn't hold onto him.
I agree. Your team can't be made up entirely of all-stars and former first round picks. You need solid guys who quietly earn their payday, but don't cost you too much. That's why selecting lineman in the middle rounds is a great strategy.

And yes, I understand the importance of O-Line. Burns makes a nice point; Colombo did shut down both Kampman and Strahan (in the regular season at least) and should be solid for another 6 or 7 years. Until he shows signs of weakness, I wouldn't worry about him.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
Speaking of LT, what if we were stuck with Leonard Davis as the only option(Free and McQ don't work out; Flo not resigned, none drafted), how would you guys feel about that? I would be sick and have to think this would be the worse case scenario.
Davis played well enough in this league at left tackle to ensure that he wasn't just cast aside when his contract came up. He could do the job, probably not with the effectiveness of a Flozell Adams, but I wouldn't be as worried with him in there as I would be if it were Torrin Tucker taking on opposing team's top pass-rusher.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think of Corey Williams as a possible NT.

6-4, 312
Looks like he has a good base, and does have a wide body. GB is pretty deep at DL, but still not the sure of his possible availability.

Last edited by Paul : 02-12-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:02 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I saw that too, but don't they really say that about all OTs that struggle? Hey, let's try him at guard!

I'm not opposed to spending a 1st rounder on an OT, and some of those may be better than Free in the long run. I guess my point is after a year in our system, I think there is maybe 3 of those guys tops, that would come in day one and start over Free.

Of course, I don't watch them practice and I have no inside info so I have no idea how they feel about Free within the organization. I think it's safe to say that if they don't resign Flo and don't go OT early, they will be penciling in Free at LT.
Speaking of tackles who could play guard, I was thinking of Chris Williams as a possible draft selection, especially if we don't resign Flo (assuming that Williams drops to us, which I currently doubt), because of his ability, in my mind, to play LT, RT, and possibly guard due to his short arms. Now Williams footwork indicates that he should be a good left tackle, but if Free or McQ were to beat him out for the job, I believe that Williams could very well be a dominating guard in this league.

On another note, I was not impressed with Anthony Collins from the Kansas tape I watched today. He doesn't seem to play with great leverage and can get beaten to the outside with speed.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody see this rumor.....Zach Thomas to land in Dallas or New England?...Rumors are swirling this morning that the New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys are the two front-runners to land former Dolphins LB'er Zach Thomas...Thomas would prefer playing in a 3-4 scheme and has already stated that he will only be willing to play for a team with a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl Title.

What do you think?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think we would really have any interest in him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-15-2008 at 10:15 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...or maybe I'm wrong...lol.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.2f186dd.html

I really dont understand why we would be interested...to be honest, though.

Could be turning into the Pats...the more the merrier.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind it. It's not like ILB is huge weakness for us. With Bradie and Akin pretty much entrenched at there spots, and fan favorite in Burnett seeing little time as is, as well as Carp who is apparently staying, I really don't know where Zach would fit. It would be a waste of money IMO.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I really don't understand the reasoning behind it. It's not like ILB is huge weakness for us. With Bradie and Akin pretty much entrenched at there spots, and fan favorite in Burnett seeing little time as is, as well as Carp who is apparently staying, I really don't know where Zach would fit. It would be a waste of money IMO.

If we sign Zack we will probably cut Akin.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

For all those that enjoy Emmitt the broadcaster, heres a link to ALL his greatest hits lol. http://walterfootball.com/emmitt.php

Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Akin has not been bad enough to justify being cut...nor do i find it likely that an undersized, concussion prone 34 year old LB, is going to be the one to force him out.

probably just taking a page out of the Pats book...who also seem interested. (not surprisingly) Doesnt hurt to have interchangeable parts. If he's healthy and kind of cheap, I guess it's not all that bad a move.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-15-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
If we sign Zack we will probably cut Akin.
Not sure on the numbers or cap hit if we do cut Akin, but I believe it would be cheaper to keep Akin, so we can spend the money elsewhere. I mean honestly in this point of his career, would Zach Thomas be that much of an upgrade over Akin. And if ever for some reason we cut Akin, I'd much rather plug Burnett in there, rather than sign a 34 year old who just came off a injury plagued season.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Akin has not been bad enough to justify being cut...nor do i find it likely that an undersized, concussion prone 34 year old LB, is going to be the one to force him out.

Maybe not but that's what DMN is speculating. http://cowboys.beloblog.com/

Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Maybe not but that's what DMN is speculating. http://cowboys.beloblog.com/
Wouldnt seem like a smart idea at all...and I dont see any reason why Akin deserves to be cut. Like I said before, probably just taking a page out of the Pats book.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

2 Questions: Could Dallas be bringing in Thomas to pick his brain on the direction the Dolphins might go in Free Agency? Living in New England, I know sports fans still talk about how the Tuna stole Curtis Martin from the Pats. Any little bit of info may help. We do have 2 restricted free agents that the Tuna would die to get his hands on! Could there already be a trade worked? Carpenter going somewhere and Thomas is his replacement on the inside.

Last edited by ricowboy : 02-15-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: new thought
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I was working on the HR from the 2006 season, I noticed that Akin came strong when our defense was struggling. He made some good plays, he had some INT's, he was applying good pressure from the inside and making plays on the running game. But in Wade's scheme he struggled a lot. I can't remember one single play from Akin which made me said "wow".
So I don't know if it's a matter of scheme or if he just had a down year, but the 2006 version of Akin is a completely different player from who we saw last year.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote