Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clements got an 8 year 80 million dollar deal IIRC. It'd be great to land Samuel.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Roye was cut. the release will save us about $3.5 mil in cap space.

aslo, Andre Davis has been asked to restructure his contract. If he doesn't agree to terms, he could be released as well. if Andre is cut, its another $2.5 mil saved in the cap

Last edited by JSimmsy21 : 02-28-2008 at 11:37 AM.
JSimmsy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well if we do trade for Corey Williams as it seems like we will, then all the talk about 2nd round picks and which DE we want will have been in vain. But if the building smoke about some team that is gonna give Derek Anderson an offer sheet which would land us a 1st and 3rd round pick will change the chatter on here quite a bit if true.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Well if we do trade for Corey Williams as it seems like we will, then all the talk about 2nd round picks and which DE we want will have been in vain. But if the building smoke about some team that is gonna give Derek Anderson an offer sheet which would land us a 1st and 3rd round pick will change the chatter on here quite a bit if true.
i in the live chat blog on scout.com right now, i'll be posting in here about all that happens as its confirmed and not just rumored.

there's been talk that the only reason that we're dealing a 2nd is b/c savage knows we're getting a first and third back from "some team" for DA

*edit* Travis LaBoy has set up meetings for CLE and NO.

* the browns have trade a '08 2nd rnd pick for packers DT Corey Williams. Williams is expected to play DE opposite R.Smith. the contract is reportedly a 6yr/$38 mil.

*Donte Stallworth has scheduled to visit the browns.

* reports are now that Cleveland gave greenbay a 3rd rnder for CW.

*reports are that Pace will visit Cleveland.

*DA has signed with the browns. terms of the contract are unknown, but are beleived to be trade friendly. according to sources of Lane Adkins and John Taylor, the Vikings and Panthers are 2 teams that were willing to give up the tendered picks for DA. A trade is still very possible.

Last edited by JSimmsy21 : 02-29-2008 at 12:27 PM.
JSimmsy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe we might be bringing in Lance Briggs eventually, but haven't heard comfirmation of that yet. Hopefully we sign a guy like Stallworth to be our 3rd WR, and we of course need to sign at least 1 linebacker here, maybe two.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

scratch that last thing i said about DA. i guess there's a deal onthe table, but he hasnt signed anything yet. trade talks are still in the wind.

there's been interest shown in Briggs, but thats all, that i know of anyways.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
scratch that last thing i said about DA. i guess there's a deal onthe table, but he hasnt signed anything yet. trade talks are still in the wind.

there's been interest shown in Briggs, but thats all, that i know of anyways.
So can someone clear this up? Did we sign him or not? I'm really confused right now because I look at websites and some are really older and some are newer and I dont know which to look at.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm confused as well. Is there still a decent chance he'll be traded?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

DawgBone smells like sex panther.

We signed him but his first payment of the new contract isnt due (including signing bonus) until late april. Meaning we have made it easier for a team to trade for him because they know exactly what it will cost to do so under the cap.

But this is what Phil said about signing Anderson....

"I don’t think there’s going to be an open competition," Browns GM Phil Savage said. "We go in with Derek as the lead horse. You don’t sign a contract like that and say, ‘hey, it’s an open competition.'"

This depresses me because im a Quinn supporter. They basically dont fully believe in Anderson because of a 3 year deal and not long term, but they are completely shooting down Quinn.

Do they honestly think Quinn will sit on the bench for 3 years and be happy? If Quinn honestly feels he doesnt have a chance exspect a trade demand.
DawgBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

CAROLINA ADDS COLCLOUGH by Michael David Smith

The Carolina Panthers have signed free-agent cornerback Ricardo Colclough to a two-year contract, multiple media outlets are reporting.

Colclough was a second-round pick of the Steelers in 2004, and while he at times showed promise on special teams, he never contributed much on defense. He was waived during the 2007 season and caught on with the Browns, but he was inactive for every game.

The signing is something of a homecoming for Colclough, who grew up in South Carolina. The contract the Panthers signed with Colclough is a two-year, $4 million deal.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:53 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
We signed him but his first payment of the new contract isnt due (including signing bonus) until late april. Meaning we have made it easier for a team to trade for him because they know exactly what it will cost to do so under the cap.

But this is what Phil said about signing Anderson....

"I donít think thereís going to be an open competition," Browns GM Phil Savage said. "We go in with Derek as the lead horse. You donít sign a contract like that and say, Ďhey, itís an open competition.'"

This depresses me because im a Quinn supporter. They basically dont fully believe in Anderson because of a 3 year deal and not long term, but they are completely shooting down Quinn.

Do they honestly think Quinn will sit on the bench for 3 years and be happy? If Quinn honestly feels he doesnt have a chance exspect a trade demand.
the debate was that DA agreed to terms with the browns thursday night, but didnt sign until sometime yesterday. thats where the confusion came from i think. BTW, the structure of DA's contract is made so that he makes almost all of the garanteed money in the first year of the contract. the purpose of this is so that if he gets traded next year, only the remaining guarenteed money will be spread out against the cap the following 2 years of the contract.

Basically, if DA tears it up this year, he makes his money, but then bombs in 2010 or later, it wont matter b/c he wont take up any cap space and can be traded without a large hit against the cap, or sit on the bench.

OR, if he does pretty good, but the coaches feel Quinn can do better following the 08 season, DA will probably be traded after this season.

i fully expect DA to start this year. Quinn wont want a trade untill the 3rd year. in Quinn's contract, all the bonus' and incentives stem from him being the starter by year 3 of his contract. if he sees that not happening, he'll want traded and we'll resign DA to a longer deal.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

barry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

the thing that bugs me about the DA situation is recalling savage's comment concerning the sudden trade of frye - that DA would play better without the threat of competition. if savage really believes that DA has that fragile an ego, what's going to happen with BQ breathing down his neck? i'm guessing crennel will give BQ a fair shot to win the job, savage's comment notwithstanding.

also, savage was quoted as not wanting to end up with a low 1st & 3rd round pick while the team that signed DA turned around and packaged him to get a top 10 pick. someone suggested that jerry jones really wants to trade up and get mcfadden - so that makes sense. this way, savage controls who DA goes to should a trade be in the works after all.

unless savage makes the statement (about DA being the starter) just in case whatever trade that he hopes to make falls through and he's just covering the bases. that seems the most plausible explanation to me.

Last edited by barry : 03-02-2008 at 02:02 AM.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

If Anderson gets traded it will obviously be for a draft pick. And it would have to be a first rounder.

Savage is not going to trade his QB now for an unknown pick. He will wait for the #17 overall pick in the draft (for example) to come up. He will then see if the player or players he wants are still on the board, then he will chose weather to trade DA.

He wont just make the trade not knowing who is on the board. He also did not make Andersons first payment wait until April (draft time) for no reason. If he truely wanted to keep DA why prolong the payment?

Last edited by DawgBone : 03-01-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the chances that DA gets traded before the season are very, very, very small. During or after is another story, but it looks like Anderson's the QB heading into the season.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
mcdlaxbonz13
Veteran

mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

one kid i work with that is a browns fan mentioned he had heard atlanta was going to trade their first round and deangelo hall to cleveland for DA. this to me just sounds like someone was playing a little to much madden, but still an interesting thought nonetheless

Sig by jkpigskin , thanks.
mcdlaxbonz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdlaxbonz13 View Post
one kid i work with that is a browns fan mentioned he had heard atlanta was going to trade their first round and deangelo hall to cleveland for DA. this to me just sounds like someone was playing a little to much madden, but still an interesting thought nonetheless
isnt DeAngelo going to the G-Men for their first?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 AM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

barry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

no one seems to have mentioned it - samuels went to the eagles - but that probably makes the guy samuels replaces (sheppard) available for a draft pick - which is the subject of a separate thread.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

STOP MAKING ALL THESE THREADS!!! make one free agent thread.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Stallworth signing was for $35M over 7 years with $10M guaranteed. Typical good #2 WR money, and he's fairly young and obviously fills a big need since Jurevicius will retire in 2009. So far we're the big winners in FA from what I can tell, only 3 moves but they have all been spectacular for filling what we need.

And as far as our draft pick situation I know these are our picks: RD4, RD5, RD6, and RD7. We traded our 6th rounder for Hank Fraley and we own Seattle's 6th round pick for Charlie Frye to even things out. I want to see us go OL, DB, LB, and RB with those picks, but of course Phil and co. will just go best player available regardless of position.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 AM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
STOP MAKING ALL THESE THREADS!!! make one free agent thread.
You did see the free agent threat on the NFL page right? Everyone complained they could find what they wanted right away.

Chill bro Free Agency comes around once a year and it will only last about 1 week for us. I think we can all handle that.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
Looks like the chances that DA gets traded before the season are very, very, very small. During or after is another story, but it looks like Anderson's the QB heading into the season.
Why do you say that? Like DawgBone said, Phil has definitely left the option to trade him on draft day open. I really hope he's traded, Quinn would have to be Jim Sorgi bad to not succeed with the offense we have. If they both stay, we have a QB controversy and those haven't worked out too well in the past for us (except this year).
Old 03-02-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

My understanding is that there are teams that have offered possibly a 1st round pick. Phil said no matter what he will take nothing less than a 1st and 3rd. Right now noone has offered that so Phil is being patient. In the process hes making Anderson look gauranteed to start for us so that maybe a team will finally choke up what we want.

If Phil truely believed Anderson was the answer or at least gauranteed he will be on our team this year, he would not have started his contract in late April. He would have started it now like every other free agent contract that is being signed.

Further, Phil is a smart man and will not just trade Anderson for a draft pic right now. He will most likely wait until draft day, when the team we might trade with is on the board. This means that we know for sure the player we want is on the board.

It would be s shame if we traded DA for the #17 pick just to find out the player/players we want have allready gone.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

I bet I could find 17 players in the draft I'd trade DA for.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

At times during the year I found myself one of Anderson's biggest critics. That said, I think keeping him, at least for one more year, is the right move. It's easy to crucify Anderson for his inconsistency, but I think everyone, myself included, lost some perspective on the guy.

He's only 24 years old, and has all the physical tools a QB needs to succeed in this league (I know thereís more to it than that just hear me out). Don't forget, DA was totally written off by many of us and by the team last offseason, and was really put in no position to succeed by our management with the whole Frye, coin flip mess.

The way I see it is this, last year was essentially Anderson's rookie year, and operated under a brand new offense and new offensive coordinator. He performed better than anyone could have expected, and at a pro bowl level. At the very least, he deserves one more year after being familiarized with the system, and I expect him to be much better this year. If he's not, and proves to be a one year wonder, then Quinn comes in and takes over, hopefully successfully, but at least he got a fair shot.

Savage also perhaps made the best point when he said that the Browns have put in so much work, have such an improved roster even now over last year, that it would be unfair to not keep DA and Quinn. 64 QB's started last year and if something happened to Quinn after DA was traded, our season would be lost. We can't afford that. At least with both of these guys we have a great insurance policy, and should be able to compete without falling off the map. I don't think were in desperate need of any more pieces, and thus a trade into Rd. 1 just won't make or break this team. And I looked at the top 32 prospects Scott has up, and I can't say I'm confident any more than 8-10 would be worth trading DA for, and we won't get that value.

Lastly, Go Browns! I just heard Mortensen say he thinks were poised for a Super Bowl run, never thought I'd see the day.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
You did see the free agent threat on the NFL page right? Everyone complained they could find what they wanted right away.

Chill bro Free Agency comes around once a year and it will only last about 1 week for us. I think we can all handle that.
The free agent thread in the NFL subforum is for all 32 teams. News on 32 teams can be hard to cycle through, there's only one team in the Cleveland Browns subforum...Makes things much easier to fine things.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote