Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

DawgBone smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
The free agent thread in the NFL subforum is for all 32 teams. News on 32 teams can be hard to cycle through, there's only one team in the Cleveland Browns subforum...Makes things much easier to fine things.
If your talking about making it easier to find things, how is making a specific topic difficult? Further more if you dont like the topic, you can rid yourself of having to read it by simply not clicking on it. Seems easier to me but you insist on making it difficult.

If you dont like a topic, dont click. If you do then click. That way you know exactly what you will be reading even before you read it.
DawgBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
If your talking about making it easier to find things, how is making a specific topic difficult? Further more if you dont like the topic, you can rid yourself of having to read it by simply not clicking on it. Seems easier to me but you insist on making it difficult.

If you dont like a topic, dont click. If you do then click. That way you know exactly what you will be reading even before you read it.
First off it's called forum etiquette to not go about post whoring multiple threads to the tune of 50+ posts in your first week of tenure.

Secondly my post wasn't that hard to read for you not to understand it. We've had 3 signings and then rumors. We don't need a thread about every single thing, you can put all 3 singings in the Free Agent thread or even the Cleveland Browns Discussion thread and make the forums a little easier to navigate. We don't have a team leader since apparently DChess is to much of a dick, and I'm not active enough [I don't know who else was nominated but if anyone else was they were turned down as well]...So there's no one to prune the threads and clean it up. So when we get these little trolls that we always get in the Browns section, it really clutters everything up.

The free agent thread in the NFL subforum however has 32 teams, so if each team has 3 signings plus rumors then it gets difficult to find what you're looking for.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
First off it's called forum etiquette to not go about post whoring multiple threads to the tune of 50+ posts in your first week of tenure.

Secondly my post wasn't that hard to read for you not to understand it. We've had 3 signings and then rumors. We don't need a thread about every single thing, you can put all 3 singings in the Free Agent thread or even the Cleveland Browns Discussion thread and make the forums a little easier to navigate. We don't have a team leader since apparently DChess is to much of a dick, and I'm not active enough [I don't know who else was nominated but if anyone else was they were turned down as well]...So there's no one to prune the threads and clean it up. So when we get these little trolls that we always get in the Browns section, it really clutters everything up.

The free agent thread in the NFL subforum however has 32 teams, so if each team has 3 signings plus rumors then it gets difficult to find what you're looking for.

you complain way to much like the average american wife.

Your not one of those posters that goes crazy over a spelling error are you?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

"First off it's called forum etiquette to not go about post whoring multiple threads to the tune of 50+ posts in your first week of tenure."

OMG! Its the first week of free agency and the Browns arguably had the biggest first 2 days in NFL history. 50 post in the two weeks Ive been a member during this type of time period equals out to be around 3 post a day which is very normal.

Exspecially after we traded for Rogers, Williams, signed Stallworth, had news on Anderson and many more potential signings.

I made a thread on the trade of Rogers, and Stallworth. And then one about a rumored trade, and a rumored signing. Quit complaining and just be a Browns fan.

PS - I have 2.6 post per day, you have 2.2, so........

Last edited by DawgBone : 03-03-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey... I'm in single digits...
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott put a very good assessment of Cleveland's offseason to date in his latest blog entry in case you guys haven't checked it out yet.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm aggravated.

All these people talking about the browns off season so far and EVERYONE is saying that we screwed up by trading away all of our picks. That we took the redskins approach and it never worked for them.

everyone in defense of the browns says "there's no talent in the second and third rounds that can contribute like Williams and Rogers can." While this is probably true, no one else really knows that. the reason WE(browns fans) knows its true is b/c RAC never starts rookies. BUT...

No one ever points out this. something that so far i think I'm the only one to notice(or at least speak up about). EVERYONE says that building through the draft wins championships. While most will agree thats true, theres one thing people overlook. Those drafted rookies turn into experienced and talented vets. our roster is full of young gifted and talented players. over half of our roster are players that have 4 years experience or less. Including our starting LT, FB, WR, TE, QB, RCB, LCB, SS, FS, ROLB, MLB, and KR/PR. of those 12 positions(11 starting positions), 5 of them are either just starting, new with the team, or a rookie. one of them isn't even with the team anymore(Bodden). Of the 11 starting roles, all of them have two years of less of starting experience. thats HALF our starters.

Point i'm making, championship teams have talented and experienced vets to compliment their young talent. we(the browns) just have experienced players with average to below average talent. With the exception of our offensive linemen and our newly acquired defensive linemen. With as young as our roster is, we didnt have talented vets to help. Now we do. For as young as our roster is, we didnt really need more young players, we needed talented vets that are in their prime and aren't on the decline.

I for one, am just fine with not having any picks until round 4. All those picks went our for a good cause.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I love the draft and building through the draft is the way to go, but only about 40 decent players come out of any given draft on average, and the odds of us getting guys as good as Rogers and Wiliams but only 4 years younger or so in rds 2 and 3 are slim. Great trades for us, and very necessary. It's not like are entire team is built through free agency anyways, considering we have drafted or signed as UDFAs guys like Edwards, Winslow, Thomas, Vickers, Quinn, Wimbley, Jackson, Davis, Williams, Pool, Jones, McDonald, Wright, Cribbs, Dawson, and Pontbriand.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Miami Guard Rex Hadnot is now a Brown. deal is reportedly a 2 year deal with 3-4M in guaranteed money.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

barry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

this more or less answers any questions about bentley being expected to play in 2008.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
this more or less answers any questions about bentley being expected to play in 2008.
Less. I dont think it answers anything.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

if you're trying to say: "i can't do math", ok.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
if you're trying to say: "i can't do math", ok.
How is it bad math? I was just trying to say that it doesn't really answer any questions. We don't have great depth at guard with or without Bentley.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

Al Wilson has meet with the browns, but i haven't seen anything more about us being interested. Wilson's agent said that "what makes the browns interesting, is what all they've done to a 10-6 team." According to the Denver Post, Wilson wants to come back to contend for a super bowl. He also has met with the Detroit Lions.

there's also reported interest in Takeo Spikes from the browns.

*edit* Gary Baxter has signed a 1-year contract with the browns. it was on NFLN and reported on scout.com. details of the contract i don't know.

Last edited by JSimmsy21 : 03-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
JSimmsy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
Al Wilson has meet with the browns, but i haven't seen anything more about us being interested. Wilson's agent said that "what makes the browns interesting, is what all they've done to a 10-6 team." According to the Denver Post, Wilson wants to come back to contend for a super bowl. He also has met with the Detroit Lions.

there's also reported interest in Takeo Spikes from the browns.

*edit* Gary Baxter has signed a 1-year contract with the browns. it was on NFLN and reported on scout.com. details of the contract i don't know.
Seriously, I thought we were finally ridden of Baxter...We do need some LB help as well...I've always been a fan of Spikes but he really hasn't been the same since his injury.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I believe Chaun Thompson is close to a 2 year deal with the team. He's a great special teamer and when he's in on defense he does well as a blitzer and can play all 4 spots at linebacker. Never gonna start though, but a great depth player. We're not gonna sign Al Wilson though. I hope we get Takeo, but that's probably even more of a longshot.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I believe Chaun Thompson is close to a 2 year deal with the team. He's a great special teamer and when he's in on defense he does well as a blitzer and can play all 4 spots at linebacker. Never gonna start though, but a great depth player. We're not gonna sign Al Wilson though. I hope we get Takeo, but that's probably even more of a longshot.
what makes you think we wont sign Takeo or Al? the browns want a veteran LB to help in the middle.

Cleveland had a visit...this was on scout.com

"Free agent DT William Joseph visited the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, Scout.com has confirmed.

The former first-round pick of the New York Giants (2003 draft) only started 17 games over five seasons for the team.

A league source with knowledge of the situation notes Joseph never should have been selected in the first round. As the story goes, New York's former general manager, Ernie Accorsi, was so enamored with University of Miami players, he felt compelled to reach for Joseph.

Joseph had been a major underachiever for New York and missed the entire 2007 with a back injury.

The source notes Joseph, who played some snaps at defensive end in previous seasons, could play end with Cleveland if he signs with them. The source adds Joseph is probably good for about 15-20 snaps/game."

i have one more tidbit of info, and fyi, most if not all of my info comes from scout.com, and they don't report anything unless they have 2 sources, which usually remain anonymous.

for those of you who are still upset/curious about the DA signing. This has been floating around. Dallas reportedly was going to sign the offer sheet that DA was tendered too, giving up there 1st and 3rd rounds picks. THEN, trading the Browns pick that Dallas acquired along with DA to a team such as Baltimore to get into the top of round one.

This is exactly what Phil Savage was preventing. He even said that he would rather trade DA on his own terms so we wouldn't be getting a low 1st and 3rd. i've reported before that DA makes most of his money in the first year of his contract, so if he was traded, then the cap would only see a significant hit against this year.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

It doesn't sound like the Browns are nearly as interested in signing Al or Takeo as Al and Takeo are. Joseph is a guy I think we'll bring in though as a backup and/or rotational DE. We are bare at DE behind Williams and Robaire, though we do have Shaun Smith who can play DE or NT. Currently our Linebacker unit is exactly how it was last season though (assuming we finish Thompson's contract here soon): WImbley, McGinest, Peek, and McMillan at OLB and Jackson, Davis, Williams, Thompson, and Griffin at ILB.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

The DA trade is old news. Savage said it himself in those exact words alittle over a week ago in one of his press conferences.

Savage said he would consider trading DA for an early to mid first, but all he could get at this point was a late first rounder. He also stated that he will not accept a late RD1 and late RD3. It will have to be an early selection that included a RD1 & RD3. He fully plans on DA being our QB next year but without admitting it, basically said he will trade him for a high first. He backed it up by stating DA's contract will not start until late April, giving teams time to decide if they think the trade is worth it.

I honestly believe the Vikings will offer there RD1 #17 overall (which they might have allready RUMORED), but Phil said he must have a RD3 in return also and I dont think the Vikings are willing to do that at this point in time.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:59 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Kalimba Edwards-DL-Lions Mar. 13 - 4:53 pm et

Lions released DE Kalimba Edwards.

The Lions gave Edwards a huge contract two seasons ago in hopes that he'd develop into something more than a situational pass rusher, but it never happened. He was reportedly a hard worker in practice, but could just never carry it over to a game. He was scheduled to make $3.9 million this season.

I fully exspect him to be a Brown this year and possibly start at OLB at least towards the end of the season.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I hope we do sign Kalimba. He would be much better at OLB in a 3-4 than he was at DE in a 4-3. His talents are tailormade for our defense.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

Quote:
The DA trade is old news. Savage said it himself in those exact words alittle over a week ago in one of his press conferences.

Savage said he would consider trading DA for an early to mid first, but all he could get at this point was a late first rounder. He also stated that he will not accept a late RD1 and late RD3. It will have to be an early selection that included a RD1 & RD3. He fully plans on DA being our QB next year but without admitting it, basically said he will trade him for a high first. He backed it up by stating DA's contract will not start until late April, giving teams time to decide if they think the trade is worth it.

I honestly believe the Vikings will offer there RD1 #17 overall (which they might have allready RUMORED), but Phil said he must have a RD3 in return also and I dont think the Vikings are willing to do that at this point in time.
you don't have to be harsh about it. i guess you already knew about Dallas wanting to sign DA then? the only reason i posted it is so poeple know why Phil decided to up the offer at the last minute. And i stated the same thing you did, savage didn't want to be stuck with a low first and third when he knew he could trade DA himself for a higher first, but isn't expected to do so.

-Shaun Rogers weighed in at 350lbs during the team physical. The Cleveland Browns coaches were pleased at what he weighed in at and want him to maintain that as his playing weight during the season.

-The Browns have talked "numbers" with RFA CB Chris Carr of the Oakland Raiders and have sent him an offer, but nothing has been returned. If the Browns were to sign Carr away from Oakland, it would not require giving up a draft pick.

-WR Troy Brown, formally of the Patriots, has interest in the Cleveland Browns, according to the Boston Herold. It's been reported that Cleveland has contacted Brown and are looked favorably on as a landing spot thanks to Romeo Crennel.

-In 2006, the Browns were expected to sign Kalimba Edwards, until the Lions upped their offer. Now that Edwards is a free agent again, there's been reports of "mutual interest." A Browns source told The OBR that they have not yet contacted Edwards agent, they are expected to do so “within the next 24 hours, probably”. A source close to Edwards confirmed that there had been no contact between the two sides “as of yet”, but fully expected to “hear from the organization at some point in the near future.”
Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

Quote:

if this is accurate, i suspect savage would take just the #1 *IF* a top 7 player is still on the board. a low 1st AND 3rd is worth only around 950 (at 22) while it's worth about 1500 pts to have the 10th pick in the 1st & 3rd rounds - the value of the #7 pick by itself.

that seems to be the rationale behind giving up what he did to get BQ - he gave up around 1300 pts to draft 22nd, but the player was a top 5 on savage's board - worth 1700 pts. giving up 1300 to get 1700 makes more sense - plus that 1300 pts is actualy less since it was a future pick.

so it'll depend on who's still on the board, but i expect that savage already has his list made up and will be ready to pounce.

this makes all his other comments make sense - if there's nobody available at #17 that's worth it, DA stays.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

edwards would be an interesting addition. can he drop into pass coverage? if not, he becomes a situational player. but that can work as long as we can stop the run on 1st down and turn the possession into passing situations.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Quote:
edwards would be an interesting addition. can he drop into pass coverage? if not, he becomes a situational player. but that can work as long as we can stop the run on 1st down and turn the possession into passing situations.
Hes athletic, but noone really knows if he can drop back since he never has had to before. Im willing to say that even if he can do it, he wont be great in coverage. But we mainly need him to stop the run, especially on the left side he would play on because it is the strong side.

Edwards is 6'6 265 and should be a very simular player to Willie McGinest. Hes 28 or 29 years old FYI.

"you don't have to be harsh about it."

??? your going to have to explain your thoughts on this one.......I didnt use (!) marks or anything to hint I wanted to be harsh. So no that wasnt my intent and if it was, it would have been imature on my part.

Last edited by DawgBone : 03-14-2008 at 02:58 PM.