Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryGarcia510
yea after this run if johnson is there i jsut don't think we can pass him up. I know we have other needs but this seems to be a once in a decade player and you don't want to be the team that passed him up. Plus having another good WR wouldnt hurt. Imagine Winslow, CJ, and Braylon at the same time.

Well, at the very least it would give an excuse not to resign Braylon after his contract is up in 2 years (or is it 3?).

Us passing on him would be like Randy Moss falling to Minny...everyone regardless of their WRs wishes they would have taken him.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Soo what happened to lynch's "4.3" speed. Peterson totally blew him away today. It has to be between peterson and johnson for us.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriles0522 View Post
Soo what happened to lynch's "4.3" speed. Peterson totally blew him away today. It has to be between peterson and johnson for us.

yep. I have like AD all long...by quite a bit.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
GoldenBoy

I wouldn't think Quinn is out of the mix. So often teams pretend not to be interested in a guy that they really are. Quinn has so much upside, and very little downside for a QB. It's such an interesting draft for the Browns, because Quinn could be the starting QB for the next decade, CJ could be a HOF wide out, Branch could be a cornerstone of our defense for years, Peterson would be a huge upgrade for our running game.... sucks we can only pick one.... oh yeah, I shouldn't forget Joe Thomas could anchor our line at tackle for the next decade.

I do remember it mentioned that part of the "brady quinn's stock is slipping" is comming from the fact that his game has been broken down forwards, backwards, sideways, and any which way, while "experts" are still doing their homework on Russell. I've seen video of some amazing video on Russell, but I'm still would like to know what holes experts will find his game once they scrutinize him.

For those of you on the Carriker bandwagon, he said at his press conference earlier today that he hasn't spoken with the Browns yet, but the Steelers have shown significant interest.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

where's joemontanya at? would you still take lynch over peterson now?

i definately think that our pick is between CJ, AD, or Quinn. CJ wont supply the immediate impact that we would like to have, but he would make whoever i QB is next look a lot better. AD provides that fastest upgrade. which is probably why we'll take him since Crennel is in the hotseat. Quinn is starting be questionable for me. why is he not working out anywhere? no combine? i dont hold "lossing the big game" against him b/c it takes a whole team to win. but he does miss some easy passes everynow and again.

personally, i wouldnt be mad if crennel wasnt our head coach next year. i think he's failed twice now to make a decent coaching staff on the offensive side. i'd call marty.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
where's joemontanya at? would you still take lynch over peterson now?

i definately think that our pick is between CJ, AD, or Quinn. CJ wont supply the immediate impact that we would like to have, but he would make whoever i QB is next look a lot better. AD provides that fastest upgrade. which is probably why we'll take him since Crennel is in the hotseat. Quinn is starting be questionable for me. why is he not working out anywhere? no combine? i dont hold "lossing the big game" against him b/c it takes a whole team to win. but he does miss some easy passes everynow and again.

personally, i wouldnt be mad if crennel wasnt our head coach next year. i think he's failed twice now to make a decent coaching staff on the offensive side. i'd call marty.

First I agree on JoeMontanya's whereabouts. I was the first to comment after he had that lynch article posted and i kind of went off on him. Hope i didn't scare him away.

Simmsy we agree on this draft it seems when it comes to prospects we like, but i do think Johnson will have an immediate impact. I think he pushes joe j. down to the third wideout after the first few games and starts with edwards from there. Maybe not quite the AD impact, but a big one nonetheless.

And last i agree about Crennel. I'm not very impressed. This is really his make or break year. His hires are questionable and sometimes i wonder if he's not getting the effort from our guys that he should be getting. Personally, I'd like a coach who shows a little more emotion and tries to light a fire under guys during the game. Just my opinion though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Personally, I'd like a coach who shows a little more emotion and tries to light a fire under guys during the game.
THATS WHAT I WANT TOO!!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Well look at guys like Belichek, Lovie Smith, Dungy, Mangini now, Andy Reed, etc... they're like a brick wall, and they seem to get the job done.

Personally, i think Romeo is the best coach available we could have at this point. And your crazy if you think he has gotten a fair shot thus far. I say give him at least two more years. With that said, the only guy i would want to replace him is Mel Tucker the DB coach.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still confident in Romeo's ability to get the job done. But, if we have another 4-12 season I wouldn't mind seeing him go. As for CJ, I really would rather have AD or Joe Thomas. Did you expect him to run anything more than a 4.4? I don't understand why everyone is jumping on his bandwagon now. He probably is the best player in the draft, but there are other guys who can help our team more.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

This is from nfl.com, I believe a Pat Kirwan article...

"Imagine Cleveland trading for Schaub and drafting Adrian Peterson. That would get the Browns fans interested in the future"

That would be one hell of a deal right there. Just curious what would you guys be willing to give up for Schaub. Our 2nd rounder? I'd think hard about that, even though I'm having trouble understanding why he even put us in the discussion for Schaub, it's the first I've heard of that.

Also, I think we really have to go o-line in round 2, there will be some good value there and if we draft peterson or even quinn or russell for that matter we have to get them help up front. I'm not so sure we will be able to get steinbach or deilman, and that will really put us in a hole.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The trouble with Peterson is, he is far more likely to be injured seriously by his second year. His running style means he'll take a huge amount of hits and his body hasn't shown the ability to take the punishment. He's a huge risk for the #3 pick and also a huge financial gamble. Top 5 teams don't usually take those risks and that is why you are seeing Peterson out of the top 5 in so many reliable draft sites. Top 5 teams are looking for a sure thing because if that prospect fails, you have basically wasted a whole year or 2 in your rebuilding program.
Let me ask you this, if we draft Peterson and he gets seriously injured and our rebuilding process is set back a year or 2, how long do you think Crennel or Savage would keep their jobs. That is why GM's are extremely reluctant to risk drafting an injury prone player in the top 5 when there are other elite prospects with far less risk involved.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The trouble with Peterson is, he is far more likely to be injured seriously by his second year. His running style means he'll take a huge amount of hits and his body hasn't shown the ability to take the punishment. He's a huge risk for the #3 pick and also a huge financial gamble. Top 5 teams don't usually take those risks and that is why you are seeing Peterson out of the top 5 in so many reliable draft sites. Top 5 teams are looking for a sure thing because if that prospect fails, you have basically wasted a whole year or 2 in your rebuilding program.
Let me ask you this, if we draft Peterson and he gets seriously injured and our rebuilding process is set back a year or 2, how long do you think Crennel or Savage would keep their jobs. That is why GM's are extremely reluctant to risk drafting an injury prone player in the top 5 when there are other elite prospects with far less risk involved.

How long do you think crennel or savage would keep their job if whoever we pick in the first round gets hurt and our rebuilding process is set back a year or two and we go 5-11, 6-10 again?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-26-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Peterson injuries were not that bad. he's seperated his shoulder. broke a collar bone. and had a high ankel sprain. 2 of those you never have to worry about again. the collar bone is the only one making ppl question. and that was a freak accident. i'll see if i can find a video.

i do agree he is a risk at #3. and b/c there's so much talk about us trading with houston. we wouldnt get him. i'd love to trade with the viks, get the 7th overall pick. and them some. at that spot, peterson would be of great value. and his paycheck would be FAR less.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
snazel
Rookie

snazel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
...i do agree he is a risk at #3. and b/c there's so much talk about us trading with houston. we wouldnt get him. i'd love to trade with the viks, get the 7th overall pick. and them some. at that spot, peterson would be of great value. and his paycheck would be FAR less.
Actually, I don't think Peterson is a risk at all. One of the surest things in the draft. Also, I've heard a lot about trade down/up rumors, but the only trade I see us making is if the Bucs want to move up one slot. We know for a fact they won't take Peterson, so we can still get an extra pick and land him at 4. If we trade down further with the Vikes, they would likely have to give up a second and third round draft pick, and I just down see that happening at all. There are a few other first rd WRs out there aside from Calvin that the Vikes can look into; Ginn, Gonzo, Jarrett, etc.
snazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

The Bucs wont move up, the player they want might be CJ and they know the odds of us taking him are low.

"How long do you think crennel or savage would keep their job if whoever we pick in the first round gets hurt and our rebuilding process is set back a year or two and we go 5-11, 6-10 again?"

Savage's job isnt a risk, but Crennel's is. With a bad season this year exspect us to look at Marty Shotenhimer (sp?) next year (quote ESPN). Also they said we would look at Bill Cowher, but I dont exspect that, because hes under contract another year with Pittsburg, so to sign him the Steelers would get compensation from us.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Hail Browns hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post
Well look at guys like Belichek, Lovie Smith, Dungy, Mangini now, Andy Reed, etc... they're like a brick wall, and they seem to get the job done.

Personally, i think Romeo is the best coach available we could have at this point. And your crazy if you think he has gotten a fair shot thus far. I say give him at least two more years. With that said, the only guy i would want to replace him is Mel Tucker the DB coach.

I agree entirely with this statement. Romeo is that best for us right now, and 2 more years sounds great. Mel Tucker is my favorite to be the next Browns HC if Romeo is fired. I love how much he gets out of players, and he's still fairly young.
Hail Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Marty and Cowher would keep the 3-4 most likely which is good IMO.

It would be nice if we ever got rid of Crennel, that we signed him as the D cordinator, but that never happens.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

What was some of our draft picks 40 times last year? Specifically Wimbley and Jackson?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post
Well, at the very least it would give an excuse not to resign Braylon after his contract is up in 2 years (or is it 3?).

Us passing on him would be like Randy Moss falling to Minny...everyone regardless of their WRs wishes they would have taken him.

I don't think we should be talking about getting rid of Braylon. He's still got all the talent, he just needs to mature and learn to be a team player, it's something he's totally capable of doing. I think we should wait and see if he straightens out over the next season or so.

I do really like CJ though, and I would be excited if we got him, even if there are other areas we need to address. Imagine CJ, BE, and KII in a few years. To me, that kinda jumps out at you.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Quote:
This is from nfl.com, I believe a Pat Kirwan article...

"Imagine Cleveland trading for Schaub and drafting Adrian Peterson. That would get the Browns fans interested in the future"

That would be one hell of a deal right there. Just curious what would you guys be willing to give up for Schaub. Our 2nd rounder? I'd think hard about that, even though I'm having trouble understanding why he even put us in the discussion for Schaub, it's the first I've heard of that.

Also, I think we really have to go o-line in round 2, there will be some good value there and if we draft peterson or even quinn or russell for that matter we have to get them help up front. I'm not so sure we will be able to get steinbach or deilman, and that will really put us in a hole.
I wouldn't want to trade for Schaub. We need to keep our picks to snatch some quality trench men.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

With the rumors that Dwayne Jarret will run a 4.7 or so at his pro day, theres a 90% chance he would drop to the 2nd round. i would love to have him if he fell.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
With the rumors that Dwayne Jarret will run a 4.7 or so at his pro day, theres a 90% chance he would drop to the 2nd round. i would love to have him if he fell.
I don't think he drops out of the first unless he runs slower than 4.8. The way he plays the game, his production, he's too good to fall that far.

Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State University. He went 16th after running a 4.6 somethin'. I'm not saying Jarrett is in the same league or even close to the same league as Rice. It's just that a poor 40 will drop you, but not that far when you're just that good.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Theres like 5 potential 1st round WR's and not that many teams will draft one in the first according to some scouts. One will fall to the 2nd. I use to think it would be Meachum, now the candidates might be Jarrett and Bowe.

After what Mike Williams did, Jarrett will drop, because they are comparable players.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Just say no to Dwayne Jarrett.

To be honest, i don't mind him as a football player or even if the Browns drafted him....but not before round 3.

IMO, he is/has been one of the most overrated players in the entire draft for quite sometime. He is slow, weak, unexplosive, and not physical at all. He has good and is good in the red zone, but that is about it. There is nothing special about him to warrant a first or 2nd round pick. If he is there in the 3rd, then we take a look.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Nope. Most teams might back off according to what you said for the 1st round. But as soon as a player like him slips to the 2nd, people will jump on him.

Hes no different than JJ, and was 10 times the college player he was. Still has potential also. And we are horrible on 3rd downs, thats his specialty down.