Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Thoughts on Benson?

What are your thoughts on Benson? On this one Bears message board I visit once in a while, according to them Benson is already a huge bust, but most of them are idiots on that board (for instance, some people want McFadden with our first pick and Dixon with our second), and they think Benson is the reason why our offense is so bad this season.

This topic hasn't been discussed much here however, and I'd like to hear the thoughts of some more well educated Bear fans.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Barbecue Bob
Rookie

Barbecue Bob hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think the Bears should give up on him just yet, but this season has proved he does need a good O-line and QB in order to succeed. I think he can be great if you split up the carriers with another back, maybe one who can actually catch a ball. Just look at last year. He really thrived with Thomas Jones as his counterpart. Maybe if Peterson could get it together then all your problems could be solved.
Barbecue Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I'm not a more well educated bears Fan I think he will work real well in a two back system, but not a workhorse.

To be fair our line, imo, has not blocked well enough for many backs to do well this year. I think that Running Back is A need but not a primary need. We need O-line, Safety, QB more and is on the same level with linebacker(depending on briggs) and defensive tackle.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think untill he gets a good offensive line it's hard to judge him.

Is he special? No. But there are really only about 10 special backs in the NFL, so as long as he can not fumble and eat up yards he's worth keeping around.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, the Bears board is funny. I do the same thing every once and a while.

But on Benson, right now he is looking like a bust just because he cant manage anything w/o an offensive line. I think to draft a player like that, you need to have one to begin with. But not only that, he doesnt play with any drive, he goes down on contact easy, not a great reciever, or blocker. I dont know even with a good offensive line that he would be any good just because he goes down so easily.

Would I be opposed to drafting DMC? no. I think the 2 back system would be good, but it would signal that Benson isnt who we thought that he was, and that he wont be around once his contract runs up unless he signs for less money.

I think priorities though would go somewhat in this order:
OL
QB/S
WR/RB

And I dont think that we need an OLB if Briggs ends up leaving. We have spent 2 3rd round draft picks on OLB in Okwo and Jamar Williams. I think we give them a shot before we give up on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[Denny Green]HE WASN'T WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS![/Denny Green]

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't get me wrong, if we had a chance to draft DMC I'd do it in a heartbeat and cut Benson's ass. Barring that, however, there really isn't a major upgrade available.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Barbecue Bob
Rookie

Barbecue Bob hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
BUT WE TRADED AWAY THOMAS JONES SO THATS WHY HE'S ON THE DAMN FIELD!
Barbecue Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Don't get me wrong, if we had a chance to draft DMC I'd do it in a heartbeat and cut Benson's ass. Barring that, however, there really isn't a major upgrade available.
I dont think there is any way to cut him. I read on Fox sports today that if we did its a 5million+ cap hit.

Quote:
Bears would take big cap hit for cutting RB Benson
If the Bears cut Cedric Benson at the end of this season because they conclude he isn't the featured back they envisioned - a possibility - the remainder of his unaccounted for signing bonus will be an immediate salary-cap hit. Given the two years left on Benson's deal, according to a pro-rated bonus that would accelerate, that could count as much as $5.15 million against the salary cap if the Bears choose to get Benson off the books. Add that to the cost of buying another running back such as Turner, who won't be cheap, and you can see why the Bears need Benson to turn it on in the second half of the season. -- Chicago Tribune
And to the whole trading of TJ...I still love the trade. We essentially got 3 players who will be around chicago for 3-5 years (Okwo, Bauzin, and a 3rd this year) for the price of a guy who would have left after 1 year due to contract demands

Quote:
Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
I dont think there is any way to cut him. I read on Fox sports today that if we did its a 5million+ cap hit.

And to the whole trading of TJ...I still love the trade. We essentially got 3 players who will be around chicago for 3-5 years (Okwo, Bauzin, and a 3rd this year) for the price of a guy who would have left after 1 year due to contract demands
4 actually, we got their 5th as well in 07 (Kevin Payne)

Old 11-04-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
4 actually, we got their 5th as well in 07 (Kevin Payne)
Thank you for furthering my point lol

Quote:
Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
That's so great that it earned you a + rep from me.

Not only is that funny, but I would have to agree with it, hence the "real RB" part of my new sig.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
k0ng
Rookie

k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.

Benson has the tools. It seems to be all mental with him. I think he'll get it going eventually. The o-line has really sucked and I don't care who you are, your not going to produce if you have no one blocking for you (see LT and LJ).

BTW, what the **** is going on with Wolfe?
k0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ng View Post
BTW, what the **** is going on with Wolfe?
He's a "change of pace" back. It's hard to get a change of pace when there's no pace being set in the first place.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
He's a "change of pace" back. It's hard to get a change of pace when there's no pace being set in the first place.
it doesn't help that he is pretty much the size of my little cousin.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
Haha, the Bears board is funny. I do the same thing every once and a while.

But on Benson, right now he is looking like a bust just because he cant manage anything w/o an offensive line. I think to draft a player like that, you need to have one to begin with. But not only that, he doesnt play with any drive, he goes down on contact easy, not a great reciever, or blocker. I dont know even with a good offensive line that he would be any good just because he goes down so easily.

Would I be opposed to drafting DMC? no. I think the 2 back system would be good, but it would signal that Benson isnt who we thought that he was, and that he wont be around once his contract runs up unless he signs for less money.

I think priorities though would go somewhat in this order:
OL
QB/S
WR/RB

And I dont think that we need an OLB if Briggs ends up leaving. We have spent 2 3rd round draft picks on OLB in Okwo and Jamar Williams. I think we give them a shot before we give up on them.
Bearfan..you hit some major points on the head with this. His attitude stinks. If he wants people off of his ass then he needs to start doing and stop talking. Again our offensive line is bad..its not the worst o-line i've ever seen. There are several runningbacks in this league that do well with marginal offensive lines. To hear him make laim excuses for his inability to run with fire under his ass is a bunch of crap. I've seen him run hard last year. He's not doing any of this now regardless of the offensive line. I personally am looking forward to an opportunity to see him wake up and smell the coffee or see someone else deserving of the position to replace him as runningback. JMO.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

What runningback can play without an offensive line?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by evershot View Post
He means running backs who aren't the best players to ever play their position. And you forgot Jim Brown.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
He means running backs who aren't the best players to ever play their position. And you forgot Jim Brown.
I guess, but the fact benson doesn't run well isn't just the O-line, he's just not that good.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:50 AM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
There's a certain one in SoCal that I can think of. I think his first name's Ladanian. ;)

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by evershot View Post
I would agree that Benson is not at the level of Payton or Sanders. I'm glad we cleared that up. I'd still like to think there is some middle-room, however, between greatest of all time and absolutely worthless.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears9654 View Post
There's a certain one in SoCal that I can think of. I think his first name's Ladanian. ;)
I would totally disagree with this actually. LT needs his offensive line very much to be an effective runner. That's why he often has games of 20-30 yards. He's dangerous once he gets to the second level but if you can meet him at the line he's really not that good.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would agree that Benson is not at the level of Payton or Sanders. I'm glad we cleared that up. I'd still like to think there is some middle-room, however, between greatest of all time and absolutely worthless.
Nope, your either Sweetness or Curtis Enis. No other options.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 AM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there is a 60% chance he's gone next year if he continues to play the way he has been.

The OL is indeed terrible though.