Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If Miami Gets the #1 Pick

Right now the #1 pick in the 2008 draft appears to be a "battle" between the Dolphins and the Rams. If Miami ends up with the top pick what direction should they go? Dorsey is a nice player, but doesn't seem like the right fit for the current defensive scheme (of course don't rule out that Capers could be gone after the season). How about Chris Long as a versatile DE who is strong enough to move inside on occasion? A trade down is always possible as I believe teams will move up for a couple of guys in this draft. If Miami trades down a few spots someone like Phillips for the secondary would make sense. Who would you most want to see Miami take?
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
the dolphins depress me

jake long in a trade down with an additional pick in round 2
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Trade down with a team in the 8-10 range. Traded value chart will net us an extra 1st in 2009, plus a 2nd and 3rd in 2008. With those picks we go.

1st- Kenny Phillips, FS
2nd- Ryan Clady, OT
2nd- DeJuan Tribble, CB
2nd- Dre Moore, DT
3rd- BJ Raji, NT
3rd- Ben Moffitt, LB
4th- Marcus Monk, WR
6th- Chester Adams, OG
7th- De'Cody Fagg, WR
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Trade down with a team in the 8-10 range. Traded value chart will net us an extra 1st in 2009, plus a 2nd and 3rd in 2008. With those picks we go.

1st- Kenny Phillips, FS
2nd- Ryan Clady, OT
2nd- DeJuan Tribble, CB
2nd- Dre Moore, DT
3rd- BJ Raji, NT
3rd- Ben Moffitt, LB
4th- Marcus Monk, WR
6th- Chester Adams, OG
7th- De'Cody Fagg, WR
That would be an awesome draft addressing a lot of needs. What's your scouting report on Tribble? I haven't seen him or heard too much about him.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
That would be an awesome draft addressing a lot of needs. What's your scouting report on Tribble? I haven't seen him or heard too much about him.
Alot of people have him going in the top 25 picks as of now. I think when it's all said and done, he'll go mid second due to lack of size
Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What if Miami couldn't trade down? it isn't easy to do, as evidenced by the Lions last year who had one of the best pieces of trade bait ever. Not to say it's impossible but let's for a moment say they don't get it done. What then?

I don't consider Jake Long worthy of first overall. Probably none of the QB's are either, even IF Miami would do that a year after taking Beck.

Glenn Dorsey then? Chris Long? Or do they reach?
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say Long, 1st overall. Could he be the next Taylor in that 3-4. 1st overall picks are Qbs most of the time, but a DE not a bad pick either, trading down from 1st overall is probably the hardest thing to do. Look what the Saints did to get Ricky.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I would say Long, 1st overall. Could he be the next Taylor in that 3-4. 1st overall picks are Qbs most of the time, but a DE not a bad pick either, trading down from 1st overall is probably the hardest thing to do. Look what the Saints did to get Ricky.
Are you a Dolphins fan? They way you compare Long to Taylor makes me think you don't watch either very much. Long is a classic 3-4 DE. Think Richard Seymour or Chris Canty. Taylor is a 3-4DE/OLB and is the ideal 4-3 DE. Calais Campbell is more like Taylor then Long is. They aren't even on the same realm as each other when comparing style of play. The pick would definately be Dorsey.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Are you a Dolphins fan? They way you compare Long to Taylor makes me think you don't watch either very much. Long is a classic 3-4 DE. Think Richard Seymour or Chris Canty. Taylor is a 3-4DE/OLB and is the ideal 4-3 DE. Calais Campbell is more like Taylor then Long is. They aren't even on the same realm as each other when comparing style of play. The pick would definately be Dorsey.
The question with Dorsey is whether or not he would be an ideal fit for this defense. Of course, the whole defensive scheme could change so you never know.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why not Long, he plays all over the field he has played 8 diffrent positions at Virgina.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
The question with Dorsey is whether or not he would be an ideal fit for this defense. Of course, the whole defensive scheme could change so you never know.
Obviously you are one of the few on here that haven't seen my views on how we should use Dorsey. Here it goes again, His normal set up would be at the DT position next to Soliai or whoever we have at NT. He would basically play the Vonnie Holliday role since Vonnie was playing awful before the injury. This lets us move Vonnie outside to DE where our depth has been bad. Rod Wright would be Dorsey's primary backup. From that DT spot Dorsey would upgrade the run defense as well as have the freedom to use his pass rush skills. Then on certain running downs, we could shift Dorsey outside to DE and move JT to OLB and that will upgrade our run D as Dorsey could do a terrific job anchoring outside. Once in a blue moon on passing downs, we could move Dorsey to NT with JT and Roth outside and that will allow us to get pass rush from all 3 spots on the DL. Dorsey would be a guy that we could move all over the DL because he has so many aspects of his game that he is great at. It gives offenses more to think about which is what our defense has been lacking this season. We haven't had a single player that makes defenses think, we just line up and do the same thing over and over because we don't have the talent to move guys around and keep offenses guessing as to what ew are gonna hit them with. Dorsey can help change that.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Why not Long, he plays all over the field he has played 8 diffrent positions at Virgina.
Virginia is a college. In the NFL they are gonna put him at DE and leave him there. Read any scouting report. They all say Long gonna be a 3-4 DE, no questions asked.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Long definitely isn't just a 3-4 DE no questions ask. His best spot would be as a 4-3 DE, and Toonster actually brought up a good point in that he'd likely be better off to drop a little more weight and be a 3-4 OLB than gain weight and be a 3-4 DE.

As far as your plan with Dorsey, I think you're assuming a bit too much that he'd be worth the first over all pick in those rolls. Right now I'd lead Dorsey just for the fact that he is a better player than Long. But Dorsey's fit as a 3-4 DE really isn't worth the #1 overall pick. If we run a 4-3 all the time and abandon the 3-4 then Dorsey would be worth the pick, but he just isn't a 3-4 DE. He doesn't have the size and that isn't his style of play. While Long isn't the type of player that Dorsey is he is absolutely dominant in the run game and while he isn't the pass blocker Thomas or Ferguson were coming out but he can get the job done at LT. There are a lot of good options for DT in the 2nd that aren't on Dorsey's level but they fit the defense just as well if not better and give us just as much flexibility as your plan would.

Say we take Long, Carey is moved back to RT, this allows us to either cut LJ Shelton or move him inside and gives us a OL of Long, Shelton/whoever, Satele, Hadnot (FA but hopefully we bring him back, he's rebounded well after an awful preseason), Carey. Maybe even have Alabi inside at OG or if we have enough faith in him but Carey at LG and have Alabi at RT.

Then in the 2nd we can look at DT. Dre Moore, Kentwan Balmer and DeMario Pressley are all guys that fit in the DT/3-4 DE role. Moore might even be able to play NT. Long/Moore looks a lot better than Dorsey/Otah to me.

Obviously a lot can change from now until April, but at this point I'd lean slightly towards Long.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSmack View Post
What if Miami couldn't trade down? it isn't easy to do, as evidenced by the Lions last year who had one of the best pieces of trade bait ever. Not to say it's impossible but let's for a moment say they don't get it done. What then?

I don't consider Jake Long worthy of first overall. Probably none of the QB's are either, even IF Miami would do that a year after taking Beck.

Glenn Dorsey then? Chris Long? Or do they reach?
That's possible, but I really think teams will trade up for McFadden and maybe Ryan or Brohm depending on how they finish their seasons.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

What about McFadden? Just throwing it out there. BTW I love Ronnie Brown and believe he is one of the best backs in the game if he is completely healthy. But McFadden may be, by far, the best player available in this draft. I know it's unlikely and I'm not advocating it, but it should definitely be part of the discussion if Miami ends up with the top pick.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

maybe for trade bait like what the Chargers did with Vick and LT
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Long definitely isn't just a 3-4 DE no questions ask. His best spot would be as a 4-3 DE, and Toonster actually brought up a good point in that he'd likely be better off to drop a little more weight and be a 3-4 OLB than gain weight and be a 3-4 DE.

As far as your plan with Dorsey, I think you're assuming a bit too much that he'd be worth the first over all pick in those rolls. Right now I'd lead Dorsey just for the fact that he is a better player than Long. But Dorsey's fit as a 3-4 DE really isn't worth the #1 overall pick. If we run a 4-3 all the time and abandon the 3-4 then Dorsey would be worth the pick, but he just isn't a 3-4 DE. He doesn't have the size and that isn't his style of play. While Long isn't the type of player that Dorsey is he is absolutely dominant in the run game and while he isn't the pass blocker Thomas or Ferguson were coming out but he can get the job done at LT. There are a lot of good options for DT in the 2nd that aren't on Dorsey's level but they fit the defense just as well if not better and give us just as much flexibility as your plan would.

Say we take Long, Carey is moved back to RT, this allows us to either cut LJ Shelton or move him inside and gives us a OL of Long, Shelton/whoever, Satele, Hadnot (FA but hopefully we bring him back, he's rebounded well after an awful preseason), Carey. Maybe even have Alabi inside at OG or if we have enough faith in him but Carey at LG and have Alabi at RT.

Then in the 2nd we can look at DT. Dre Moore, Kentwan Balmer and DeMario Pressley are all guys that fit in the DT/3-4 DE role. Moore might even be able to play NT. Long/Moore looks a lot better than Dorsey/Otah to me.

Obviously a lot can change from now until April, but at this point I'd lean slightly towards Long.

I have to completely disagree with you on Long. You say he'd have to drop a little more weight to be a OLB then to gain weight and be a 3-4 DE. You do know Long weighs 285 lbs right? To find a man his size with his ability to get after the QB is rare and there's tons of 3-4 teams and are going to be licking their cops to get him have him bulk up and extra 7-8 pounds and put him at DE. He has tons more value that way then dropping 15 pounds and learning a whole new position outside where he might not have the speed to handle that role. Long ends up a DE for sure in my eyes whether it be in a 4-3 or 3-4 but I'm definately thinking teams in the 3-4 are gonna wanna nap him because guys his size with his skill set just don't come around often. I'd love to have him if we traded down into the 5-8 range.

Have to disagree on Jake Long as well. We have way, way too many other needs then to be wasting a number 1 overall pick on what will basically be a RT playing out of position.

With the lack of NTs in this draft, I think Dre Moore gets taken as a potential NT.

Also I'm sorry but I think your greatly exaggrating the Dorsey/Otah and Long/Moore or Pressley comparision. This is the deepest draft for OTs in years It might be the deepest position in the entire draft. No way does Otah go with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. With Long, Baker, Cherilus, Clady, Williams, Hills, all being much better then Otah, one will most liekly be there for our pick and all will be good pros. I'm sorry but a combo of Dorsey and Clady or Williams holds alot more weight in my eyes then a combo of Long and Moore of Pressley. Clady is more of a pure LT that still move the OL aroudn the way you have planned and yet we still get the better player and fill a bigger need for defense with our number 1 overall.

SF Dolphin, unless the Dolphins are 100 percent sure that they can deal Ronnie for a 1st round pick and that McFadden will be the next Barry Sanders, there's no way we should take him. If he's there, we need to trade down with a team like Dallas who are said to be in love with him already.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have to completely disagree with you on Long. You say he'd have to drop a little more weight to be a OLB then to gain weight and be a 3-4 DE. You do know Long weighs 285 lbs right? To find a man his size with his ability to get after the QB is rare and there's tons of 3-4 teams and are going to be licking their cops to get him have him bulk up and extra 7-8 pounds and put him at DE. He has tons more value that way then dropping 15 pounds and learning a whole new position outside where he might not have the speed to handle that role. Long ends up a DE for sure in my eyes whether it be in a 4-3 or 3-4 but I'm definately thinking teams in the 3-4 are gonna wanna nap him because guys his size with his skill set just don't come around often. I'd love to have him if we traded down into the 5-8 range.

Have to disagree on Jake Long as well. We have way, way too many other needs then to be wasting a number 1 overall pick on what will basically be a RT playing out of position.

With the lack of NTs in this draft, I think Dre Moore gets taken as a potential NT.

Also I'm sorry but I think your greatly exaggrating the Dorsey/Otah and Long/Moore or Pressley comparision. This is the deepest draft for OTs in years It might be the deepest position in the entire draft. No way does Otah go with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. With Long, Baker, Cherilus, Clady, Williams, Hills, all being much better then Otah, one will most liekly be there for our pick and all will be good pros. I'm sorry but a combo of Dorsey and Clady or Williams holds alot more weight in my eyes then a combo of Long and Moore of Pressley. Clady is more of a pure LT that still move the OL aroudn the way you have planned and yet we still get the better player and fill a bigger need for defense with our number 1 overall.

SF Dolphin, unless the Dolphins are 100 percent sure that they can deal Ronnie for a 1st round pick and that McFadden will be the next Barry Sanders, there's no way we should take him. If he's there, we need to trade down with a team like Dallas who are said to be in love with him already.

For once, I agree with everything you said.... especially about Chris Long.

I know you guys don't agree with me on this one, but if for some chance the Rams take Dorsey and we are stuck at number 2, I think the combo of an elite pass rusher like Calais there and someone Dre Moore at the top of the second and someone like Chris Williams at the bottom of the second would bode very well for us in the future of our team. Dorsey is not a great fit for us anyway and Long should definiately not be the pick, so unless a trade is made, which I am dying for, I just pray that our draft pans out that way!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

1st- Kenny Phillips, FS
2nd- Ryan Clady, OT
2nd- DeJuan Tribble, CB
2nd- Dre Moore, DT
3rd- BJ Raji, NT
3rd- Ben Moffitt, LB
4th- Marcus Monk, WR
6th- Chester Adams, OG
7th- De'Cody Fagg, WR
I would be absolutely ecstatic with that!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You do know Long is very likely 265 right?

If Clady comes out he'll be a top 15 pick. Hills is probably too light to play in our system and should go in the 1st. Williams would get consideration there too but Otah is better than him regardless. Cherilus is a RT all the way and an overrated one at that. Long isn't going to be an Orlando Pace pass blocker but he can be a very good LT. OT is very deep but the guys that fit for us at LT is thin. Maybe Loadholt comes out but he likely is gone before the 2nd rounder.

Dorsey is a much worse fit in a 3-4 than Long is at LT, and it isn't really close. Dorsey is an amazing player, in a 4-3 he is the #1 guy in the draft to me, but in a 3-4 his value is a bit lower. The other DTs I mentioned are good fits whereas the OTs in the 2nd aren't as good of fits.

Like I said it's early, and everything can change, but right now I don't see how DT/OT is going to be better than OT/DT.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
For once, I agree with everything you said.... especially about Chris Long.

I know you guys don't agree with me on this one, but if for some chance the Rams take Dorsey and we are stuck at number 2, I think the combo of an elite pass rusher like Calais there and someone Dre Moore at the top of the second and someone like Chris Williams at the bottom of the second would bode very well for us in the future of our team. Dorsey is not a great fit for us anyway and Long should definiately not be the pick, so unless a trade is made, which I am dying for, I just pray that our draft pans out that way!
When Calais Campbell becomes an elite pass rusher let me know. Or when he has any type of fit in our defense. Or when he has the value of where we'll be picking.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
You do know Long is very likely 265 right?

If Clady comes out he'll be a top 15 pick. Hills is probably too light to play in our system and should go in the 1st. Williams would get consideration there too but Otah is better than him regardless. Cherilus is a RT all the way and an overrated one at that. Long isn't going to be an Orlando Pace pass blocker but he can be a very good LT. OT is very deep but the guys that fit for us at LT is thin. Maybe Loadholt comes out but he likely is gone before the 2nd rounder.

Dorsey is a much worse fit in a 3-4 than Long is at LT, and it isn't really close. Dorsey is an amazing player, in a 4-3 he is the #1 guy in the draft to me, but in a 3-4 his value is a bit lower. The other DTs I mentioned are good fits whereas the OTs in the 2nd aren't as good of fits.

Like I said it's early, and everything can change, but right now I don't see how DT/OT is going to be better than OT/DT.
I checked numerous different sites for Longs weight for an accurate measure before posting. Most places had him listed at 285 or more including the Virginia team site. The lightest I saw him listed is 275. How on earth does that lead you to conclude that he is very likely 265?

I don't see Clady as a top 15 pick at all. He's low 1st, early 2nd. Think Joe Staley. Long and Baker are definately ahead of him. Hills has freakish potential that could make him jump pretty high. Cherilus right now seems to be the consensus number 3 OT despite what you think about him. Clady is number 4 at best at this point and Clady could easily slip to our pick a the top of the 2nd. If Loadholt comes out, be careful cause he could slide even more.

Let me get this. You don't wanna take Dorsey because he is a bad fit for us but your willing to take other players who fit similarly in rd2. Then you wanna take Long at number 1 overall even tho you basically acknowledge that he isn't the best fit at RT but you wanna pass on OTs in RD2 because they are good fits? Were exactly is the logic in this? Either way you spin it we get a OT that isn't an ideal fit and a DT that isn't an ideal fit. Why not take the package with more talent and upside in Dorsey/Clady then Long/Pressley?

I just don't see the logic in picking player because one is a slightly better fit then the other. If the players don't fit either trade down or take the best talent of the group at the biggest need and be done with it. I think we can all agree Dorsey is the best talent and plays the biggest need position.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

bow, Calais is a waste for our team. He is lazy, he has had a terrible year and there's talk now he might not come out because he knows how bad he's played and that his stock is sh*t. We don't have any room on our team for lazy underachievers and that's what Campbell is. I love the guy but the bust factor on him is huge and the Dolphins have no more room for busts and he doesn't fit well for us at all.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
I checked numerous different sites for Longs weight for an accurate measure before posting. Most places had him listed at 285 or more including the Virginia team site. The lightest I saw him listed is 275. How on earth does that lead you to conclude that he is very likely 265?

I don't see Clady as a top 15 pick at all. He's low 1st, early 2nd. Think Joe Staley. Long and Baker are definately ahead of him. Hills has freakish potential that could make him jump pretty high. Cherilus right now seems to be the consensus number 3 OT despite what you think about him. Clady is number 4 at best at this point and Clady could easily slip to our pick a the top of the 2nd. If Loadholt comes out, be careful cause he could slide even more.

Let me get this. You don't wanna take Dorsey because he is a bad fit for us but your willing to take other players who fit similarly in rd2. Then you wanna take Long at number 1 overall even tho you basically acknowledge that he isn't the best fit at RT but you wanna pass on OTs in RD2 because they are good fits? Were exactly is the logic in this? Either way you spin it we get a OT that isn't an ideal fit and a DT that isn't an ideal fit. Why not take the package with more talent and upside in Dorsey/Clady then Long/Pressley?

I just don't see the logic in picking player because one is a slightly better fit then the other. If the players don't fit either trade down or take the best talent of the group at the biggest need and be done with it. I think we can all agree Dorsey is the best talent and plays the biggest need position.
Long is listed at 280 at most places but there are a lot of rumors that he is much closer to 260 than 280. ESPN also lists him at 266. If Long is 280 then he could play DE in a 3-4, but since he is very likely 265 he has no place in the 3-4 at DE.

Clady has as much potential as any OT in the draft and I certainly wouldn't rule out him being the #1 OT in this class. Gosder is the #3 guy right now because most people haven't updated the last 2 weeks. He's got completely destroyed 2 weeks in a row and is pretty much proving he can't play LT AT ALL.

I think you need to reread what I wrote because I was saying the complete opposite of what you're talking about.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I may temporarily put myself in the General Manager's fancy chair of the Miami Dolphins franchise ...

My Big Board has defensive end Chris Long and defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey at the top. Long has an elite motor, like Terrell Suggs and Dwight Freeney of years past, that I can't pass up. Dorsey is the best tackle prospect since future Hall of Famer Warren Sapp imo. I love both guys, I don't question their heart and desire to play football by the slightest shred and that's who I want to invest millions in and who I want associated with my franchise for over ten years.

Both guys would be better suited in a 4-3, but the whole purpose of the Draft is to get talent to better my team, and adding either of these guys to the roster helps make the Dolphins a much better team, whether the defense is a 3-4 or 4-3. I think each player can play in both, quite honestly, though the 4-3 is admittedly favored.

My stud franchise pass-rusher Jason Taylor is 35 or so years old, I believe, and he's years younger than my aging nose tackle who can't play a full game's worth of snaps. Adding either Long or Dorsey makes me ecstatic, I have a new pillar to help build my franchise up to where it should be.

Dom Capers isn't some young pup, he's an experienced coach in this league who just wants the best players possible to field the best defense possible. I'm more than confident in his ability to ulitize these players, maybe devising a gameplan that features the 4-3 almost or as prominently as the 3-4.

Also, as the general manager, I'm also considering a possible defensive change to a Tampa 2 defense in the somewhat near future, given the influx of young defensive players that the franchise will be experiencing. If so, either Long or Dorsey are absolutely perfect pieces to build around in that scenario.

... and back to reality.