Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe this loss will be a good thing. I was somewhat worried that a win would lead the FO to be a bit complacent, thinking they were close. Maybe a loss gets them to be creative, to challenge. For as decent as our record was this year, we weren't a team that "deserved" the playoffs, but rather, a team that had a shot of lucking into it.

In some ways, this season feels like a waste to me. Sure, there's been some positives. Hester shows signs of perhaps becoming a decent secondary receiver. Forte is a capable lead back. Nick Roach has looked good in the time he's been in. Corey Graham looks capable.

But this team still has some glaring holes. We entered this season wondering if we had a QB that could win. We leave the season knowing that we have a QB that can manage, but whether said QB can win is a big question. We still don't have a lead receiver. Our OL was okay, but St. Clair is likely to leave and we still don't know about Chris Williams. For all the resources allocated to the defense, it was up and down and really, it needs a makeover.

What I would honestly like to see is the FO maneuver to draft a QB. This isn't a pretty draft class, particularly now that Goodell has come out and said changes won't happen for a couple more years. Drafting a QB in the late rounds - well, I'd rather see what Hanie can do. We need a young QB to challenge in there, and honestly, even with the juniors, this QB class isn't all that pretty. Even the class afterwards might not be all that great. Personally, my favorite is Josh Freeman, who likely comes off the board late first/early 2nd.

I still say don't rule out CB, with Tillman dropping back into the FS slot. Yes, cover 2 teams should not draft CB's early if they have other needs. But ... I can see the FO deciding to wait on DE, I don't see the FO drafting DT or LB. Now, if an elite FS is there, then that's probably the more preferabl route.

I wouldn't mind keeping St. Clair and letting Tait go, to be honest. Doubt that will happen, but I wouldn't mind it. Actually, speaking of things I wouldn't mind, I wouldn't mind letting Urlacher, Kreutz, or Vasher go, but I don't see Urlacher/Kreutz happening, and Vasher I think is probably 50/50.

Let's see, I think we do need a DT, and in particular, a NT. We just can't trust Dvoracek's health, and Adams has been solid, but an upgrade can be needed (add in that, Harris can't play every play, and depth is necessary). This shouldn't be a top need, since we have other areas of focus, but it needs to be addressed. I think Dvoracek may be gone, with Harrison/new piece as the backups. I'd like to see another young LB in the mix, a guy potentially groomed to take over at MIKE. We can find that guy later, though.

I agree that DE needs to be looked at, but I'm not sold the FO drafts a guy slated to be a third DE in the first. Not against it, but I don't see it. Maybe they prove me wrong. Maybe in the 2nd/3rd, but first? Not sold. We need a top WR, if only to open things up for everyone else. We need that big downfield target. We don't have that. Getting said big target could open things up in the passing game a bit more.

A backup RB is needed. If Tait returns, as I suspect, then we should pick up a guy in that 3rd-5th range to groom as a possible RT.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ DE is definetly a 1st round need. A DE wouldnt start right away no matter what so a DE can play situational in his first yr and take over when Oguns contract is up

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I still say don't rule out CB, with Tillman dropping back into the FS slot. Yes, cover 2 teams should not draft CB's early if they have other needs. But ... I can see the FO deciding to wait on DE, I don't see the FO drafting DT or LB. Now, if an elite FS is there, then that's probably the more preferabl route.
There's one corner in that range, I think: Vontae Davis. Who I think would be really well suited for a Tampa 2 defense. Would you be for drafting him, toon?

I think Alphonso Smith should be in that range, but his height - rather lack thereof - will have an impact.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I think part of this is systemic to the defense. Keeping everything in front of you and trying to punish the opponent on every play, it takes its toll. It just seems Tampa 2 defenses suffer more injuries than some other defenses, barring other factors like age (Patriots) and the like, although maybe that isn't really the case.

I think you might be able to trace this to the season-long struggles the Bears defense has had on third down. If you can't get off the field, even a well-conditioned defense built on speed is going to get worn down as the game progresses and as the season progresses.
Do you remember 2005 when Orton had a 59.7 season rating? We went 11-5 and had a 1st rnd bye without a true offense. The defense was on the field practically the entire game. It is possible. Our offense now is a hell of a lot better than it was in 05. Our defense isn't even close. Not even a hair.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
^ DE is definetly a 1st round need. A DE wouldnt start right away no matter what so a DE can play situational in his first yr and take over when Oguns contract is up
Again, I'm not saying it's not a top need. What I'm saying is I'm not sold the FO is going to look that route that early. Maybe I'm off.

Short of it is - let's say WR, which everyone in the world would acknowledge is a need for us, has value there. Or maybe a QB has slipped (I think the love on Bradford may settle a bit come draft time - I don't love him, but if he drops to mid-first, you pull the trigger). Maybe a stud FS is there (it's not impossible to think Mays drops to mid-first, not likely, but not impossible. Would the team draft a DE there ahead of those three positions?

It's early, though, so I'm only speculating on possibilities. But why not wait until the 2nd/3rd round to grab a DE? I like the depth in that 2nd-3rd round range on DE, and I don't think it's far different from the guys that will go in round 1, outside of the fact that the first rounders are a bit more polished.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
There's one corner in that range, I think: Vontae Davis. Who I think would be really well suited for a Tampa 2 defense. Would you be for drafting him, toon?

I think Alphonso Smith should be in that range, but his height - rather lack thereof - will have an impact.
Comes down to the board. I'm not saying we should draft a CB, but I can definitely see a situation where a CB is the best pick.

I would also caution against assuming Malcolm Jenkins will go top 10. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in the mid-first. There's enough people that aren't ecstatic over him.

But to answer your question more directly, is there a scenario where I would go, heck yeah, let's draft Vontae? Yes. Although part of me wonders about sticking him at FS, but yes, there are scenarios where I'd be okay with a Vontae pick.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That squib kick bites us in the ass again.
The Bears were a very flawed team and if anything, they overachieved. For DC, I thought that Lovie originally wanted Marinelli to be his DC, but Tampa Bay didn't allow him to leave. I think they'll demote Babich and bring Marinelli in.
There are many needs that the Bears need to address. I think we should keep Orton for at least 2 more years, because they probably can't find anything better. They need to get another back to take some of the load off of Forte. Jeremiah Johnson could work. The wide receiver corps needs an overhaul. They should draft at least two receivers. Right tackle and left guard are problems in the offensive line. Phil Loadholt should be able to solve right tackle and maybe they can sign a guard.
The defense needs to improve their pass rush. I want Everette Brown, but he may not be there. I think that DT can be drafted later. The linebackers should be fine. I think that we can sign another corner back for depth. Safety is an issue with Brown becoming a free agent. With how weak the safety class is this year, I don't think they can address it this year. They might have to sign someone.
Now we're waiting until the offseason, we put ourselves in this position.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying it's not a top need. What I'm saying is I'm not sold the FO is going to look that route that early. Maybe I'm off.

Short of it is - let's say WR, which everyone in the world would acknowledge is a need for us, has value there. Or maybe a QB has slipped (I think the love on Bradford may settle a bit come draft time - I don't love him, but if he drops to mid-first, you pull the trigger). Maybe a stud FS is there (it's not impossible to think Mays drops to mid-first, not likely, but not impossible. Would the team draft a DE there ahead of those three positions?

It's early, though, so I'm only speculating on possibilities. But why not wait until the 2nd/3rd round to grab a DE? I like the depth in that 2nd-3rd round range on DE, and I don't think it's far different from the guys that will go in round 1, outside of the fact that the first rounders are a bit more polished.
Remember the fact that Angelo typically pulls late round defensive players fairly well. I'm learning not to underestimate his late round defensive picks.

My question is will he go O-Line yet again in the 1st? I'm thinking they won't for the simple fact they've been burned twice now. Maybe they roll the dice and go OG. I'm thinking it's probably not going to be the case.

Will they go DE? We do clearly need a pass rush but is this due to poor schemes or the players? It could be both but my hunch is its most likely piss poor scheming than anything. I thought this was one of our deep positions but this may not be the case. The way this season has panned we have a deep core of soso DE's and no star.

DT i'd find really hard to address in any of the early rounds. With Adams, Harris, Dvoracek (Mike Brown Jr.), and Harrison I'd think we were fine. I have the same opinions here as I do for DE other than the fact Tommie Harris should be playing up to his star potential.

WR is what I would think the top pick could be for the simple fact we have no star and it doesn't seem any top tire FA's will be avail unless Roy Williams is dumped. I'd rather pass on him personally although if some miracle occurred and Anquan Boldin wasn't extended I would LOVE to trade a pick for him. (I'm pipe dreaming)

Safety should be one of our top positions to address but as toons stated will there be anyone of value here? This wouldn't be a bad position to address. Laron Landry's brother is available as FA so maybe we can do something to bring him in. He just came off of a season ending injury so maybe management will look another direction.

Quarterback is all but too common. Our need for a qb is like Detriots need for a winning season. It seems like it's never going to happen. I'm hopeful Kyle will have a better second season. This is his first full year of playing so I don't mind giving him a second shot. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't spectacular either. He does deserve another year though. I wouldn't mind drafting another player. I'm not sure Lovie will go in the 1st though. I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
Remember the fact that Angelo typically pulls late round defensive players fairly well. I'm learning not to underestimate his late round defensive picks.

My question is will he go O-Line yet again in the 1st? I'm thinking they won't for the simple fact they've been burned twice now. Maybe they roll the dice and go OG. I'm thinking it's probably not going to be the case.

Will they go DE? We do clearly need a pass rush but is this due to poor schemes or the players? It could be both but my hunch is its most likely piss poor scheming than anything. I thought this was one of our deep positions but this may not be the case. The way this season has panned we have a deep core of soso DE's and no star.

DT i'd find really hard to address in any of the early rounds. With Adams, Harris, Dvoracek (Mike Brown Jr.), and Harrison I'd think we were fine. I have the same opinions here as I do for DE other than the fact Tommie Harris should be playing up to his star potential.

WR is what I would think the top pick could be for the simple fact we have no star and it doesn't seem any top tire FA's will be avail unless Roy Williams is dumped. I'd rather pass on him personally although if some miracle occurred and Anquan Boldin wasn't extended I would LOVE to trade a pick for him. (I'm pipe dreaming)

Safety should be one of our top positions to address but as toons stated will there be anyone of value here? This wouldn't be a bad position to address. Laron Landry's brother is available as FA so maybe we can do something to bring him in. He just came off of a season ending injury so maybe management will look another direction.

Quarterback is all but too common. Our need for a qb is like Detriots need for a winning season. It seems like it's never going to happen. I'm hopeful Kyle will have a better second season. This is his first full year of playing so I don't mind giving him a second shot. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't spectacular either. He does deserve another year though. I wouldn't mind drafting another player. I'm not sure Lovie will go in the 1st though. I could be wrong.
Quick thoughts:

Considering we're picking mid-first, I don't think any OG will be worth it there. To go OL in the first would require two things to happen, IMO:

a) Someone to get cut/released (Tait the most likely candidate)
b) A RT talent worth it. I don't know if I see RT type in that range.

The darkhorse would be if the staff is really down on Chris Williams and we don't know it. I doubt it, and even then, they'd probably still give him a shot.

As for DL, my thought is this - without a consistently dominating interior, teams can iso up on Brown/Ogun, limiting their effectiveness. I would like to see more blitzing (don't know the percentages off the top, but whatever it is, I would've liked to see more), but that isn't what Lovie and Babich do. In saying that, a young DE is needed. If they think they can trust Dvoracek, then maybe no DT, but after all his injuries, I just don't know about that. Not saying an early DT, but if Dusty goes, I think we add a youngster.

I really don't think QB will happen in the first (or move to the early 2nd to nab someone) unless a top guy falls (and so far, everyone is assuming Stafford and Bradford will go pro, it's possible only one does). As noted in the previous post, I am a Josh Freeman fan, and I think bringing him in here could give him a year to learn and push Orton a bit more.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
That squib kick bites us in the ass again.
The Bears were a very flawed team and if anything, they overachieved. For DC, I thought that Lovie originally wanted Marinelli to be his DC, but Tampa Bay didn't allow him to leave. I think they'll demote Babich and bring Marinelli in.
There are many needs that the Bears need to address. I think we should keep Orton for at least 2 more years, because they probably can't find anything better. They need to get another back to take some of the load off of Forte. Jeremiah Johnson could work. The wide receiver corps needs an overhaul. They should draft at least two receivers. Right tackle and left guard are problems in the offensive line. Phil Loadholt should be able to solve right tackle and maybe they can sign a guard.
The defense needs to improve their pass rush. I want Everette Brown, but he may not be there. I think that DT can be drafted later. The linebackers should be fine. I think that we can sign another corner back for depth. Safety is an issue with Brown becoming a free agent. With how weak the safety class is this year, I don't think they can address it this year. They might have to sign someone.
Now we're waiting until the offseason, we put ourselves in this position.
It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with the safety position. It is definately a need.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If someone had told us before the season started that we'd be 9-7 having just barely missed out on the playoffs, I think we would all have been content am I wrong? So many of us though the offense would be pitiful and we'd be lucky to get 5 wins.....so this isn't horrible by any stretch. Disappointing with how close we were, but better than any of us would have thought preseason.

Now, what to do...what to do.

Maybe I'm just being overly reactive, but I'd like to see a small shakeup of the coaching staff. Ron Turner and his predictable playcalling as well as his failures at developing....anyone.....needs to go. I don't have a replacement readily in mind but I'd love someone who could work with the passing game a bit. Develop Orton and work with his strengths as well as get the most out of our receivers and TEs. Forte looks to be a solid all around back for us moving forward and I'd like to create a competent offense around him.

As for the defense, I think a change is due there too. Lovie can stay as HC, but I think we need someone other than Babich to run that defense. Sure, various injuries have hurt us but I think the defense is underachieving. Like its been said, best defense on 1st and 2nd down, worst on 3rd down. (stats probably don't back up that fully but it sure feels that way....ugh.)

Area 1 on the defense to fix: pass rush. It's sickening. Unless we picked some late sacks in the Texans game, we just went like 2 games without one. Disgusting....absolutely horribly for a Cover 2 team. We need to get pressure with our front 4 and that hasn't been happening.

Again, I don't have anyone specific in mind to target as a new DC but we need a change. Shake up the staff and let Lovie know that he's next if things don't turn around next season.

As for players, I'd love to make a hard run at Terrell Suggs. Pull what we did with Muhammad and throw a big pile of money at him as soon as FA starts up. Fill that need and let us focus on the offense in the draft.

As has been stated, o-line help is needed as well as a big, physical receiver. Crabtree would be lovely but he not going to fall anywhere near us while guys like Britt and NIcks would need to have great workouts to move close to us. My interest in DHB, Maclin or Harvin is virtually non-existent with Orton as our QB. It would be absolutely wasteful. Those guys are basically Hesters without the benefit of 2 years in our offensive system. Orton can't hit the one speedy deep threat we do have, why the hell do we want another? If we get a big, physical WR we could replicate what we had the Superbowl year a little with Hester playing the Berrian role and new guy playing the Muhammad role. Add Olsen and Forte into the mix and our offense could be even better than that was if we can get everything clicking.

I would also like to continue reforming the o-line. We're in a division where we have to face Minnesota's Williams' wall twice a year and we play in what could be pretty lousy elements 6-10 games every year...I think a big road grating, run blocking mauler would be a great addition in place of Garza who's been rather unimpressive imo. Herman Johnson in the 2nd round leaves some to be desired as a pass blocker but for a RG, he'd be great. Just power forward and knock guys out of the runners way.

That said, I still feel DE to be a bigger need. the FO might not see it that way, but I don't know about you guys, I for sure was sick and tired of giving up a first every time they other team threw for it on 3rd down because we had no one within 10 feet of the QB.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe this loss will be a good thing. I was somewhat worried that a win would lead the FO to be a bit complacent, thinking they were close. Maybe a loss gets them to be creative, to challenge. For as decent as our record was this year, we weren't a team that "deserved" the playoffs, but rather, a team that had a shot of lucking into it.
Completely agreed.

Quote:
In some ways, this season feels like a waste to me. Sure, there's been some positives. Hester shows signs of perhaps becoming a decent secondary receiver. Forte is a capable lead back. Nick Roach has looked good in the time he's been in. Corey Graham looks capable.
Agreed.

Quote:
But this team still has some glaring holes. We entered this season wondering if we had a QB that could win. We leave the season knowing that we have a QB that can manage, but whether said QB can win is a big question. We still don't have a lead receiver. Our OL was okay, but St. Clair is likely to leave and we still don't know about Chris Williams. For all the resources allocated to the defense, it was up and down and really, it needs a makeover.
Agreed mostly. As for St. Clair, the only way I see him staying is if we tell him the starting LG spot is his to lose. If not, there will be plenty of teams willing to give him a starting job for relatively cheap. As for him being our LG, I wouldn't mind it, but I think we need a better run blocker. As for RT, I don't think St. Clair is a good enough run blocker to play there, but he might be an upgrade over Tait, but Tait will likely stay as he only has 1, and I don't know if we would save any money by doing so.

Quote:
What I would honestly like to see is the FO maneuver to draft a QB. This isn't a pretty draft class, particularly now that Goodell has come out and said changes won't happen for a couple more years. Drafting a QB in the late rounds - well, I'd rather see what Hanie can do. We need a young QB to challenge in there, and honestly, even with the juniors, this QB class isn't all that pretty. Even the class afterwards might not be all that great. Personally, my favorite is Josh Freeman, who likely comes off the board late first/early 2nd.
I like the idea of drafting a QB round 1, but two things (1) I'm not that high on Freeman and (2) With jobs possibly riding on next season, I don't see us going QB as it likely won't make any difference for us next season. It would be a good start for rebuilding, but I don't see a rebuilding happening.

Quote:
I still don't see it. If we change schemes, then sure, maybe move Tillman to FS, but until then, Tillman is our best corner, and we'd likely be downgrading with a rookie.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind keeping St. Clair and letting Tait go, to be honest. Doubt that will happen, but I wouldn't mind it. Actually, speaking of things I wouldn't mind, I wouldn't mind letting Urlacher, Kreutz, or Vasher go, but I don't see Urlacher/Kreutz happening, and Vasher I think is probably 50/50.
If our DLine wasn't so crappy this year, and if we had an actual NT, there would be no talk of letting Urlacher go. In fact, Urlacher's play got a lot better once Dvoracek got injured, because Adams was a competent NT. As for Kreutz, he certainly isn't the player he once was, but he's still decent. However, today was his worst game of the season. I saw far too many plays blown up because he stood straight up and got drove back. As for Vasher, we aren't cutting him, and it's a silly thought. We just gave him a big contract, but we need him to slim back down.

Quote:
Let's see, I think we do need a DT, and in particular, a NT. We just can't trust Dvoracek's health, and Adams has been solid, but an upgrade can be needed (add in that, Harris can't play every play, and depth is necessary). This shouldn't be a top need, since we have other areas of focus, but it needs to be addressed. I think Dvoracek may be gone, with Harrison/new piece as the backups. I'd like to see another young LB in the mix, a guy potentially groomed to take over at MIKE. We can find that guy later, though.
We can't trust Dvoracek's health, and when he has been healthy, he's played like ****. It's a no brainer for me, he should be gone. Personally, if BJ Raji is there when we pick, I'd be very tempted to pick him. He might be a big run stuffer, but he has the ability to penetrate (not a sexual reference, unless you get turned on by TFL's and sacks) as well. However, it is because of his ability to stop the run and cause a little pressure that, I feel, will lead to him getting picked before us. As for UT depth, I think Harrison and Idonije are good depth. Harrison is a bit of a UT-NT tweener, and Idonije should only be in on obvious passing downs.

As for LB, the day Urlacher is not the starting MIKE for us, Briggs will be. I think we need someone else at SAM. Roach is decent, and HH's play has decreased a lot, and I think he is a possible cut.

Quote:
I agree that DE needs to be looked at, but I'm not sold the FO drafts a guy slated to be a third DE in the first. Not against it, but I don't see it. Maybe they prove me wrong. Maybe in the 2nd/3rd, but first? Not sold. We need a top WR, if only to open things up for everyone else. We need that big downfield target. We don't have that. Getting said big target could open things up in the passing game a bit more.
Agreed about DE. However, I would not be oppossed to signing Terrell Suggs.

Quote:
A backup RB is needed. If Tait returns, as I suspect, then we should pick up a guy in that 3rd-5th range to groom as a possible RT.
Agreed.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Reading Lovie's post-game thoughts are a bit disappointing. It sounds like he feels like we are close. We are close to be being decent, but the goal should be getting close to a Super Bowl caliber team, and I'm not sure we are close.

I'm running through a lot of possibilities. As much as I would like to nab a QB early, I doubt it. Personally, I wouldn't draft a QB in the later rounds if I pass in the first 2-3, as I think you'll get UDFA's that are close to guys that go off in the 4th-7th range and I don't know if guys in the 4-7 range are better than, say, Caleb Hanie. I would look to see if there is a young veteran QB somewhere that might be able to be had on the cheap. This will probably get a mixed response, but I'd test the waters on Alex Smith and see what it could cost to get him as a backup. Alex showed promise in Norv's schemes, and Ron runs somewhat similar schemes to his brother.

The problem is, for all the potential issues, a lot of positions can be crossed off the first round. I mean, I don't see a guard in the late teens, don't see a RT being worth it there as of now (good to see the ridiculous hype on Phil Loadholt has somewhat died down, he's a solid RT prospect, but the hype last year was ridiculous at times), RB/QB/TE aren't areas likely to be pursued early, LB isn't. So, WR, DL, or DB would be the priority focus for me, with value coming thereafter. But ... DB isn't a traditional top pick for the scheme, WR value could be left with the LaFell's, DHB's, Harvin's, Maclin's of the world, none of them guys that scream out "We must have him here", and I'm still not sold this front office would spent a mid-first on a first year backup after missing the playoffs 2 years in a row.

That is our huge conundrum. Tear it down, and we take another year or two of rebuilding, barring a surprise. Plug the holes, and I'm not sure this is a team inching closer to the Super Bowl without some luck. This is one draft where, sitting in the late teens, I wouldn't mind if we aggressively pushed up for someone. In this case, two guys - Michael Crabtree or Taylor Mays. You grab one of those guys, and things slot a bit better for how you reshape the team.

Smokey keeps mentioning BJ Raji, and I'm not against that idea, but I don't know if we spend a first on a NT. A guy I wouldn't mind looking at later is Terrance Taylor. Raji's teammate Ron Brace is a guy that pops my curiosity a bit for us.

Smokey, I doubt Briggs moves to MIKE when Urlacher is done. I just don't think Briggs will have enough range to cover the deep middle (assuming we are still cover 2) at that stage of his career.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Smokey, I doubt Briggs moves to MIKE when Urlacher is done. I just don't think Briggs will have enough range to cover the deep middle (assuming we are still cover 2) at that stage of his career.
Didn't Briggs do it with pretty good success a few years back when Urlacher was constantly hurt with the hammy? I could have sworn he more than held his own in there...
Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Didn't Briggs do it with pretty good success a few years back when Urlacher was constantly hurt with the hammy? I could have sworn he more than held his own in there...
Well it depends on when you think Urlacher is done. If Urlacher isn't done in 4 years, does Briggs lose a step and unable to properly patrol the middle? It will remained to be seen but I could see Briggs to get worn down.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Reading Lovie's post-game thoughts are a bit disappointing. It sounds like he feels like we are close. We are close to be being decent, but the goal should be getting close to a Super Bowl caliber team, and I'm not sure we are close.
I thought his comments were fine. We were close to the playoffs and we are better than we were last year. Hopefully Jerry has his presser tomorrow, his comments are always much more revealing than Lovie's. Lovie is the good cop for sure, and his interests are obviously in motivating the players currently under contract. To come out and say that we need to blow the whole thing up would be irresponsible on his part IMO.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Sure, he was fine. But say Urlacher goes 4-5 more years? Even 2-3 more years? At that point, I'd have my doubts. Actually, I'd have my doubts right now, and I'd further add that Briggs at WLB may be better in general for the defense akin to Brooks in Tampa for all those years.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I thought his comments were fine. We were close to the playoffs and we are better than we were last year. Hopefully Jerry has his presser tomorrow, his comments are always much more revealing than Lovie's. Lovie is the good cop for sure, and his interests are obviously in motivating the players currently under contract. To come out and say that we need to blow the whole thing up would be irresponsible on his part IMO.
I'm not asking him to come out and say "X, Y, and Z" needs to go, but basically, to light a fire under his players. Based on the comments, it seems like the players, at least, the veteran leaders, like Alex Brown, were basically asking for someone to do that.

Without knowing day to day life in the locker room, I think one valid question that's never really asked is if we have strong leadership in the locker room. Actually, let's be more specific. Vocal leadership. Outside of Mike Brown, I'm not sure that any of our current top players have ever really been singled out as strong vocal leaders. If that player leadership isn't there, and there's been times this year when the player's comments suggested, like today, that they need some sort of vocal direction, then it needs to come from the coach, as it did with the 49ers after Nolan got canned and Singletary took over. Doesn't have to be an in-your face type leadership, but a "if you don't do your job, you are in trouble" type firmness.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Lovie has shown in the past that he's willing to bench/fire players that don't perform. That speaks a lot louder than yelling.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wish we had brought Singletary in on our coaching staff at some point... we really dropped the ball on that one (assuming of course he wanted at any point to be affiliated with the Bears coaching staff)

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a few things:

@toonster: we have been blitzing the most in the nfl. in the packers game or something like that they said we are blitzing about 36% of our snaps. people just dont see it cause we get as much pressure as a front 4 should. id really be against letting briggs move to MLB. as far as ive seen, he is not really great at covering. i feel like Urlacher is doing an okay job, but i feel like the team needs to stop overpursueing. i mean swarming to the ball is one thing. but we held them to like 30 yards rushing in the first half or so and they still could fake us out with PA wtf?

i think Orton is still hurt. seeing him on the field running to the huddle he was still hurt and kind of hobbling. i feel like the few games after the eagles game he played great up until the ankle was hurt. i think he even said that he was really hurt in everything he does. so i really want to see at least 1 or 2 more season with him as our QB. he is no one that is gonna improve this team like a elite QB does, but by no means is he a problem imo.

I like how the Coaching staff kind of rests forte, i dont like that they pound it one quarter, then sit him out the next. We need a 1-2 punch. also we should have thrown more swing passes to him.

Our Defensives coaches should never ever put Danieal Manning at safety again. he is a solid nickel and we should blitz him. he is also an incredible kick returner. but his tackling is really horrible. seeing him blowing the assignement on AJ, piss poor tackling on slaton i think, where he had to throw him self on that guys back, and one time where he just got destroyed by Moats or Slaton and he could only save a TD by grabbing the feet. a safety shouldnt be as bad as he is at tackling.

That said i think our Offense did better than we thought, our ST was great this year and saved our ass a couple of games. Our Offense needs to improve and the Defense needs to start waking up next year

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

statistically, I think orton had a pretty decent year passing. 18td to 12int is something I could live with, at the beginning of the season I said i would be happy with a 2:1, but a 3:2 is fine by me. IMO he should start next year, see if he improves after another year at the position, but we should draft someone to develop unless the coaches like Hanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
statistically, I think orton had a pretty decent year passing. 18td to 12int is something I could live with, at the beginning of the season I said i would be happy with a 2:1, but a 3:2 is fine by me. IMO he should start next year, see if he improves after another year at the position, but we should draft someone to develop unless the coaches like Hanie
I agree with all of this. My only question is Orton's arm strength, which is really exposed when he attempts throws beyond 20 yards. I just don't think our offense will be better than average with such a limited quarterback on our team. That puts a lot of pressure on an already declining defense, and will probably limit us to the cieling on our team.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the position.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
Which I've heard that they do. But I'm not sure I'd be confident going into next season with Hanie as our #2 QB. I'd still like to find a veteran backup just for a year or two whos ISNT Rexy.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which I've heard that they do. But I'm not sure I'd be confident going into next season with Hanie as our #2 QB. I'd still like to find a veteran backup just for a year or two whos ISNT Rexy.
Yep, a veteran Qb would be ideal. Look at how Griese helped out Orton. I hope that whoever we have as our project QB gets the same treatment that Orton got: time to develop and learn.

And 51' agreed. Orton definantly needs to work on the deep ball, but I think that the Bears offense will always be limited by QB play. Everyone wants a stud QB, but we havent had one, so I am content with our guy who probably would have had 20+ TDs if he hadnt been injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote