Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Question for you Bears fans who might know, do you guys think you will resign Berrian in the offseason?? He is really starting to emerge as a standout wr and not just a deep threat, you guys do have Davis and Bradley, I wasnt sure if the organization felt they wanted to keep him or let him walk and give the younger guys a chance
I think the only way the team doesn't franchise Berrian is if they are convinced that Hester is ready to start next year. I've been on the franchise Berrian bandwaggon since the draft.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I think the only way the team doesn't franchise Berrian is if they are convinced that Hester is ready to start next year. I've been on the franchise Berrian bandwaggon since the draft.
With that being said, Hester looked like a more complete wr tonight, not just running fade patterns, and his hands are coming along...I think him and Bradley can be great athletic wrs just not as far along as Berrian is...of course franchising him is probably the smartest thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

obviously the coaches don't think too highly of Bradley since he's not getting any PT at all.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think I've all but given up hope on our coaches abilitity to utilize its weapons. Berrian I don't believe will go anywhere for the simple fact that he's the only wr that has shown consistency of some sort. Moose is a great blocker but lets face it. He's not getting any younger. Hester could emerge as a solid slot receiver but he's still way too raw. Bradley is getting d_cked. I know he's had injury concerns in the past but in all honesty the times we've depended on him the guy has done nothing but produced. I agree with Grossman that the guy needs to play more. I personally think if he can stop getting injured he'd be one hell of a 2nd receiver and deep threat with Berrian. The question is..can he stay healthy?

The more I watch this O-Line the more I want to puke. Terance Metcalf is trash. Watching him is like watching Fred Miller.

Griese's noodle arm is all but killing this offense. He has no juice on any of his balls which is why they've limited him to 5 yd slants and dumps.

Safety becomes more of a glaring need and DT depth is all but gone.

There will be a lot of upgrades needed for this team. As much as I want to say offensively we need some key positions, I can say the same thing for defense.

*sigh* what a rough day.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:16 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's nothing you can do when you have 4 quality DT's and they all get hurt. That's just bad luck. We absolutely need a safety that can tackle AND at least be decent in coverage. Mcgowan and D. Manning give little to nothing in run support and Arch looks like a lost puppy covering deep. Ruben Brown and Fred Miller need the axe. If we have the chance to bring in a quality LT either via free agency or the draft I feel that has to be the #1 priority, because that would move over Tait to RT which he would be better suited for. I wouldn't mind another early to mid round Guard in the draft like we did last year cause the guys we got just can't get a push. I would prefer go address QB via free agency, if we could get a qualty starter rather than through the draft cause i'm not high on any of these QB's helping us more than a OT would. Grossman has looked a lot better, not great but better. None of these Qb's would help out until probably year 2-3. I'm glad I fell asleep early I can't stand watching this team collapse and lose games we used to be able to win.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. I don't think we need much on defense at all. A safety, and maybe a little more depth on the d-line (I'm really hoping we cut Darwin Walker). A lot of our defensive problems have been injuries, you can't plan for that type of stuff. Even the guys playing have been playing hurt.

As for the offense. ****. Fire Ron Turner. Get a new QB. Draft two offensive lineman. Draft another runningback. The whole unit is a joke except Clark, Olsen, and Berrian.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to say I predicted that our offensive line would be garbage without any youth. So one giant I told you so to you all.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
I'd like to say I predicted that our offensive line would be garbage without any youth. So one giant I told you so to you all.
Only took three years for you to be right too.

But seriously, I think most of us realized that. Toonster had be calling for a 1st round lineman since he's been here. I was never against it, I just didn't think it would happen, which it didn't.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I predict we will be picking around 15. So, here is a quick offseason plan...

-Trade down 10 spots in the draft for the 25th pick and an extra second rounder
-Trade Alex Brown for a late 3rd rounder
-Resign Briggs (UFA), Berrian (UFA), Ayanbadejo (UFA), and Mike Brown (UFA, incentive laden)
-maybe resign Grossman (UFA) for 1 year and cut Griese or let Grossman go and keep Griese (whichever one would compete with Orton for starting job, to go along with a 1st day pick at QB.)
-Give McGowan (RFA) a low tender. If some other team signs him, oh well, we'd get a late draft pick.
-Let the following leave in free agency: Davis, Gilmore, R. Brown, and Darrell McClover
-Cut the following: Archuletta, Miller, Metcalf, Walker, and maybe a couple other lesser players. This would free up around at least 7 million, if not more.
-Sign RB Chris Brown(I like Faneca but we won't have the money to sign him).
-Extra Bonus, recieve a 4th round comp. pick from losing Alfonso Boone, has been phenominal with the Chiefs.
-Use any money left over for extending Harris. If we can't afford it this year, then make room next year by cutting some players.

DRAFT:
1-25) Duke Robinson*, OG - Oklahoma
2-15) Chris Williams, LT - Vanderbilt
2-25) Dre Moore, DT - Maryland
3-15) Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware
3-23) Lavelle Hawkins, WR - California
3-29) Heath Benedict, OL - Newberry
4-15) Caleb Campbell, SS - Army
4-CP) Marcus Monk, WR - Arkansas
5-16) J.J. Finley, TE - Oklahoma
6-15) Jehuu Caulcrick, RB/FB - Michigan St.
7-15) Kerry Brown, OL - Appalachian St.

*Note: Number next to the round number is the projected pick in that round.
*Other Picks: Trade down for 25 and an extra second, got a 3rd from San Diego, 3rd from Alex Brown, 4th COMPENSATION from Alfonso Boone, and 5th lost to Bills but received Panthers 5th from Chris Harris

PROJECTED ROSTER
QB: Grossman/Griese | Orton | Flacco
RB: Benson | Brown | Peterson | Wolfe
FB: McKie
WR: Berrian | Muhammad | Hawkins | Hester | Bradley | Monk
TE: Olsen | Clark | Finley
OT: Tait (RT) | Willaims (LT) | St. Clair | Benedict
OG: Robinson (LG) | Garza | Beekman
C: Kreutz

DE: Ogunleye | Anderson | Baziun | Idonije
DT: Harris | Dvoracek | Moore | Adams
WLB: Briggs | Williams | Okwo
MLB: Urlacher | Wilson
SLB: Hillenmeyer | Ayanbadejo
CB: Tillman | Vasher | Manning Jr. | McBride | Graham
SS: Brown | McGowan | Campbell
FS: Manning | Gattis

ST: Gould | Maynard | Mannaley

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Last edited by Smokey Joe : 12-08-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be the most ideal thing ever, and if it fell like that, I would be estatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

You're a little too optomistic about where you think people will be available.

I'm doubtful that Moore, Flaco, and maybe Hawkins and Benedict will be available where you have them (with current value of course).

I also am skeptical that we can get a 3rd rounder for Brown, though it'd be nice.

All in all it's a fine offseason, but a bit unrealistic IMO.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Race for the Heisman
Veteran

Race for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

That kind of off-season/draft would be ridiculous. I would weep tears of joy if that happened. But it won't, it's just too ideal. What would make that even better though would be addressing the staff issues (new offensive coordinator).
Race for the Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unrealistic yes, but one can always hope;)

And I dont think that a 3rd rounder for Brown would be that bad a deal. Him and Ogun have been playing pretty well as of late, and if Brown still wants to be traded his value has only been helped by his good play.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
Unrealistic yes, but one can always hope;)

And I dont think that a 3rd rounder for Brown would be that bad a deal. Him and Ogun have been playing pretty well as of late, and if Brown still wants to be traded his value has only been helped by his good play.
He'll be 29 next year and he's never had more than 7 sacks in a season. I think a 4th rounder is much more realistic.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Quote:
He'll be 29 next year and he's never had more than 7 sacks in a season. I think a 4th rounder is much more realistic.
Yeah I guess, but he is a good all around player. I thought he was a bit younger than that, so you're right, a 4th would be much more realistic

Quote:
Old 12-09-2007, 02:31 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I agree. I don't think we need much on defense at all. A safety, and maybe a little more depth on the d-line (I'm really hoping we cut Darwin Walker). A lot of our defensive problems have been injuries, you can't plan for that type of stuff. Even the guys playing have been playing hurt.

As for the offense. ****. Fire Ron Turner. Get a new QB. Draft two offensive lineman. Draft another runningback. The whole unit is a joke except Clark, Olsen, and Berrian.
You couldn't have put it better bearsfan.

QB, Offensive-Line, and Runningback need significant upgrades on offense. I do believe we have positives in the WR core that just hasn't come out yet. Berrian is a solid guy and I think he'll improve. I think its apparent he works better with Grossman than he does with popgun Griese at the helm. Our TE's are just fine and Kruetz, Tait, and Garza are keepers. The rest of the O-Line starters can go. I think if we're drafting positions (other than qb) we need to take a serious look at players that can immediatelly impact our performance.
Safety is one, DT is another posibility due to depth issues, another CB would be nice in the later rnds (Angelo's specialty). I still want Benson to get replaced. His half assed efforts are getting tiring. Hopefully there will be a lot of good depth at rb and if we have the chance to get Stewart I say pull the trigger on it.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:35 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
I predict we will be picking around 15. So, here is a quick offseason plan...

-Trade down 10 spots in the draft for the 25th pick and an extra second rounder
-Trade Alex Brown for a late 3rd rounder
-Resign Briggs (UFA), Berrian (UFA), Ayanbadejo (UFA), and Mike Brown (UFA, incentive laden)
-maybe resign Grossman (UFA) for 1 year and cut Griese or let Grossman go and keep Griese (whichever one would compete with Orton for starting job, to go along with a 1st day pick at QB.)
-Give McGowan (RFA) a low tender. If some other team signs him, oh well, we'd get a late draft pick.
-Let the following leave in free agency: Davis, Gilmore, R. Brown, and Darrell McClover
-Cut the following: Archuletta, Miller, Metcalf, Walker, and maybe a couple other lesser players. This would free up around at least 7 million, if not more.
-Sign RB Chris Brown(I like Faneca but we won't have the money to sign him).
-Extra Bonus, recieve a 4th round comp. pick from losing Alfonso Boone, has been phenominal with the Chiefs.
-Use any money left over for extending Harris. If we can't afford it this year, then make room next year by cutting some players.

DRAFT:
1-25) Duke Robinson*, OG - Oklahoma
2-15) Chris Williams, LT - Vanderbilt
2-25) Dre Moore, DT - Maryland
3-15) Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware
3-23) Lavelle Hawkins, WR - California
3-29) Heath Benedict, OL - Newberry
4-15) Caleb Campbell, SS - Army
4-CP) Marcus Monk, WR - Arkansas
5-16) J.J. Finley, TE - Oklahoma
6-15) Jehuu Caulcrick, RB/FB - Michigan St.
7-15) Kerry Brown, OL - Appalachian St.

*Note: Number next to the round number is the projected pick in that round.
*Other Picks: Trade down for 25 and an extra second, got a 3rd from San Diego, 3rd from Alex Brown, 4th COMPENSATION from Alfonso Boone, and 5th lost to Bills but received Panthers 5th from Chris Harris

PROJECTED ROSTER
QB: Grossman/Griese | Orton | Flacco
RB: Benson | Brown | Peterson | Wolfe
FB: McKie
WR: Berrian | Muhammad | Hawkins | Hester | Bradley | Monk
TE: Olsen | Clark | Finley
OT: Tait (RT) | Willaims (LT) | St. Clair | Benedict
OG: Robinson (LG) | Garza | Beekman
C: Kreutz

DE: Ogunleye | Anderson | Baziun | Idonije
DT: Harris | Dvoracek | Moore | Adams
WLB: Briggs | Williams | Okwo
MLB: Urlacher | Wilson
SLB: Hillenmeyer | Ayanbadejo
CB: Tillman | Vasher | Manning Jr. | McBride | Graham
SS: Brown | McGowan | Campbell
FS: Manning | Gattis

ST: Gould | Maynard | Mannaley
Smokey as much as I love Chris Browns performance the guy simply cannot stay healthy. He'll be the Mike Brown of runningbacks for us. He's too much of a risk and a risk we cannot bank on given his record. If he could stay healthy I'd say heck yeah..he can't though.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
You couldn't have put it better bearsfan.

QB, Offensive-Line, and Runningback need significant upgrades on offense. I do believe we have positives in the WR core that just hasn't come out yet. Berrian is a solid guy and I think he'll improve. I think its apparent he works better with Grossman than he does with popgun Griese at the helm. Our TE's are just fine and Kruetz, Tait, and Garza are keepers. The rest of the O-Line starters can go. I think if we're drafting positions (other than qb) we need to take a serious look at players that can immediatelly impact our performance.
Safety is one, DT is another posibility due to depth issues, another CB would be nice in the later rnds (Angelo's specialty). I still want Benson to get replaced. His half assed efforts are getting tiring. Hopefully there will be a lot of good depth at rb and if we have the chance to get Stewart I say pull the trigger on it.
I dont know if we should draft stewart, maybe if we let Benson go, but I have seen a few mocks where we get some quick back like Steve Slaton, that would make for a good 1-2 punch if you ask me.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're a little too optomistic about where you think people will be available.

I'm doubtful that Moore, Flaco, and maybe Hawkins and Benedict will be available where you have them (with current value of course).

I also am skeptical that we can get a 3rd rounder for Brown, though it'd be nice.

All in all it's a fine offseason, but a bit unrealistic IMO.
Yeah, I spent a while trying to convince myself that Moore will be there, but deep down I knew he wouldn't. I really wanted to add a DT, but the only that would be worthy of that pick would be perhaps Okam who is in that 2nd-3rd range, IMO, but I don't know about that pick. I mean he could fit in nicely at NT, but then we have Adams who is also a NT and Dvoracek could go either way, but looks like his best fit is NT as well. That is why I thought Moore would be a good idea since he could fit in at both UT and NT.

Flacco, I could see him falling that far mainly because of lack of competition. But yeah, maybe a bit of a reach having him there.

As for Hawkins, I don't think that is a reach, depending on which juniors come out. A good portion of DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, James Hardy, Earl Bennett, Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington, Devin Thomas, Brian Robiske, Darrius Heywood-Bay, etc are bound to come out (who a lot of them I have ranked ahead of Hawkins), and add that to the fact that there are at least 5-7 better seniors, IMO... I don't think that is crazy.

And Benedict has been slipping IMO. Add that to the fact he plays vs. a low level of competition, that's not good. I think even Toonster had him in the middle of the 4th round.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
Smokey as much as I love Chris Browns performance the guy simply cannot stay healthy. He'll be the Mike Brown of runningbacks for us. He's too much of a risk and a risk we cannot bank on given his record. If he could stay healthy I'd say heck yeah..he can't though.
That's why we wouldn't give him the load. He would be a good no. 2 back.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
I dont know if we should draft stewart, maybe if we let Benson go, but I have seen a few mocks where we get some quick back like Steve Slaton, that would make for a good 1-2 punch if you ask me.
I personally see Slaton in that 2nd-3rd range mainly because of the question marks about him carrying the load, and I agree with that assessment. But he could make a fine compliment in a 2-back system.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I think some team would be willing to give up a 3rd rounder for an above average DE who would start right away...

Old 12-09-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I personally see Slaton in that 2nd-3rd range mainly because of the question marks about him carrying the load, and I agree with that assessment. But he could make a fine compliment in a 2-back system.
If its between Jonathan Stewart and Steve Slaton I think its a no brainer, take Stewart. he changes direction very well for his size and has solid straight line speed and he catches and blocks which Benson can't do. Slaton is no more valueable than Wolfe IMO. We like to pound the ball and we already have a solid 3rd down back in Wolfe who runs between the tackles very well for his size. Stewart reminds me a lot of Steven Jackson being a big, do it all back. I just don't think Slaton would add anything unless we get rid of Adrian Peterson which I am a bigger fan of than others. I don't see him as even a solid #2 back. I think Wolfe could overtake him personally. We could find someone else on ST's. We always do.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I think some team would be willing to give up a 3rd rounder for an above average DE who would start right away...
You're crazy.

And he's not above average. Brown has always been overrated. Anyone that is that lack of a pass rush that he is isn't going to have that much value.

I wouldn't be against keeping Brown. Granted it will create a bit of a logjam with Bazuin coming back, but someone always seems to get hurt in training camp and if not Isreal Idonije isn't exactly irreplaceable.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
If its between Jonathan Stewart and Steve Slaton I think its a no brainer, take Stewart. he changes direction very well for his size and has solid straight line speed and he catches and blocks which Benson can't do. Slaton is no more valueable than Wolfe IMO. We like to pound the ball and we already have a solid 3rd down back in Wolfe who runs between the tackles very well for his size. Stewart reminds me a lot of Steven Jackson being a big, do it all back. I just don't think Slaton would add anything unless we get rid of Adrian Peterson which I am a bigger fan of than others. I don't see him as even a solid #2 back. I think Wolfe could overtake him personally. We could find someone else on ST's. We always do.
If we are picking in the 2nd and both Stewart and Slaton are there, of course you take Stewart. But Stewart is likely gonna be long gone come the 2nd round. My ideal situation would still be to sign Chris Brown. We almost signed him this year, and he is an Illinois native (naperville I believe). Also, instead of having 2 FB's, which Lovie seems to love the idea of, we could keep 4 RB's...