Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Eagles 2008 Offseason (+ Draft) Thread

Since we're over halfway through this season, it's never a bad time to start discussing 2008. Let's go!

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
jefepowhnzer
Rookie

jefepowhnzer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does anyone else get the feeling I do that this is going to be one of the more active offseasons in Eagles history? The team is looking at a very realistic possibility of entering next season without the coach and QB who led them to one of the greatest 5-6 year periods in team history. The speculation surrounding Reid and McNabb will probably be off the charts. Add to that key positions are aging, and it's hard to ignore the fact that the team needs to find a playmaker at WR.

There are just so many questions in my head right now it's hard to sort everything out. Reid has more than a reasonable excuse to retire at the end of the season, but will he? If the team continues to struggle how much of a chance exists for McNabb to be traded? Do the two situations depend on each other? For instance, if McNabb were to continue to struggle and end up being traded, can Reid commit to the rebuilding process that would ensue? Or, if Reid announced his resignation at seasons end would McNabb even want to stick around? These are just a few of the questions I have about Reid/McNabb. I could probably write a doctorate with the questions I have about the rest of the team. I'm sure you guys could too.

Of course, the easy answer is that the team could always turn around and go 7-1 or 8-0 and make it back to the playoffs. That would be easy at least!
jefepowhnzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

play Kolb, might as well see what you have. Nabb, people know he is average because he gets injured and can reuin your season. But if he is healthy he can take you far, just make sure you have a good backup.

Teams to take him:
Miami
Atl
SF
Chi
KC
Minn

I wonder who the eagles would pick up in the FA, for Nabb they probably get a 2nd and 3rd for next year and a player maybe

Qb-backup maybe Pennington, Culpepper, Byron,
Rb-where good, i want to see how Hunt, is before we resign Buck
WR- we need a gamebreaker, D. Jackson, maybe a late round guy on purely numbers like his 40.
OL- T, pickup someone in FA and Draft have some competition. Ruyan is going to be leaving, Thomas i think would come a bit cheaper, and still is pretty good. Had less injuries then Runyan
DE- get rid of Kearse, maybe Thomas keep him for depth though.
DT-we are good here
OLB- hmm I got no idea here, Gocong and Spikes, and we drafted Bradley.
MLB-Gaither is doing good, draft someone if we want to bump him back outside after Spikes leaves.
Cb-Get a 6'1 or 6'2 corner that can play press coverage a really physical corner, that can play 1 on 1. We need to cover Burgess and T.O., somehow.
S- Mikel fit in good, but isn't a solution, We need to get Kenny Phillips, loosing Dawk on D made a huge difference.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

They will be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th, and no player. Thats why he will probably end up staying in Philadelphia. No one is going to give you a 2nd round pick for McNabb. If I were the Eagles I would let Kolb start the rest of the games. If he looks good then you can have McNabb and Kolb going after the starting job next year. I dont know if McNabb would like to be a backup, but he has shown nothing this year to prove that he is going to bring the Eagles franchise anywhere. Get Kolbs feet wet even if they have a 6-10 season next year, and get a good pick. Then the following year when Kolb has a year under him is the year you can really grade him. If I were the Eagles I would really try to draft Desean Jackson. He could fill the spot for PR and KR and really be a threat at the WR position.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Eagles are too loyal to McNabb and to their future to let Kolb get his snaps in. Their loyalty helps them in a lot of cases, but they will also be hindered by not knowing what Kolb can do. Another possible scenario here is that Kolb is just not ready yet. The transition from a spread system offense to Andy Reid's WCO is difficult. Kolb has a lot of work to do. Maybe not ideal to get him embarrassed and lacking confidence...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Biggest off-season needs?

DE- I'm assuming Kearse and Howard are both let go as they should.
Possible replacements: Calais Campbell, Terrell Suggs, Justin Smith

OT- Thomas and Runyan are both getting old. I think Justice will be fine at RT, leaving us with a need for a young LT.
Possible replacements: Sam Baker, Phil Loadholt, Jeff Otah, Jordan Gross

TE- LJ Smith is gone, and Brent Celek is probably a better #2 as a blocking TE.
Possible replacements: Fred Davis, John Carlson, Martellus Bennett, Eric Johnson

WR- For the love of God, get someone decent.
Possible replacements: Randy Moss, Bernard Berrian, DeSean Jackson, Patrick Crayton

Could use depth at DT and CB as well.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
The Eagles are too loyal to McNabb and to their future to let Kolb get his snaps in. Their loyalty helps them in a lot of cases, but they will also be hindered by not knowing what Kolb can do. Another possible scenario here is that Kolb is just not ready yet. The transition from a spread system offense to Andy Reid's WCO is difficult. Kolb has a lot of work to do. Maybe not ideal to get him embarrassed and lacking confidence...
Preseason Week 1 Kolb 11-20, 77 yards, 0 TD's, 0 Ints
Preseason Week 2 Kolb 11-16, 78 yards, 0 TD's, 0 Ints
Preseason Week 3 Kolb 25-37, 248 yards, 1TD, 0 Ints
Preseason Week 4 Kolb 22-33, 220 yards, 1TD, 0 Ints

I would say if he could go a combined 69-106, 623 yards, 2 TD's, and 0 Int's in the preseason by now if he didnt before he has Andy Reids system down. What else can you ask from a rookie QB in the preseason other then what he did? I dont think Kolb would get embarrassed at all if you put him out there for the next 3 games. Being loyal to McNabb is just plain stupid IMO because you and I both know if the right deal comes up for McNabb then hes gone. So what happens next year? Are you just going to throw Kolb out there without getting any starts this season because you want to be loyal to somebody that didnt lead you to the playoffs the previous season?

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Andy Reid doesn't gameplan or make real adjustments in the preseason. He just calls plays and lets his guys go do their thing. For the most part, Kolb went against second and third (sometimes 4th) stringers. Kolb is still adjusting, and he has limited rapport with the first string WR's and Westbrook. Making that kind of shift is incredibly difficult.

It also drives down Donovan's value significantly. It tells everyone that McNabb is finished in Philly, so they'll get absolutely nothing for him. Also, McNabb is a bit of a baby about status. If he got benched for Kolb now, he'd destroy the lockerroom. Also would affect his value and could carry over to 2008.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Andy Reid doesn't gameplan or make real adjustments in the preseason. He just calls plays and lets his guys go do their thing. For the most part, Kolb went against second and third (sometimes 4th) stringers. Kolb is still adjusting, and he has limited rapport with the first string WR's and Westbrook. Making that kind of shift is incredibly difficult.

It also drives down Donovan's value significantly. It tells everyone that McNabb is finished in Philly, so they'll get absolutely nothing for him. Also, McNabb is a bit of a baby about status. If he got benched for Kolb now, he'd destroy the lockerroom. Also would affect his value and could carry over to 2008.
Well if keeping McNabb quiet in the locker room means that much to the team then he shouldnt be on the team. Someone should slap him in the mouth, and tell him hes stealing money. Its no secret the offense has scored 2 or fewer touchdowns in 9 of Mcnabbs 11 starts, but scored 7 touchdowns in Feelys 2 starts. His value is already terrible. They are only going to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Its not like if they start him the rest of the season they might get a 1 or 2 because thats not happening. Reid should stop worrying about loyality, and start thinking about his own future and the teams future instead of making someone on his team happy.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 12-11-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something I never understood...why, on a team that throws 35-40 times per game, is there not a single good receiver? And why doesn't this team put a premium on wideouts?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, fine throw all game, but at least throw to some good WRs, what the hell are you thinking.

I would love to get Crayton in, but then we would have a surplus of WR, Reggie should he could be good with accurate throws from feeley. DeSaun Jackson is another WR the eagless should get, they need a speed guy, a game change and game breaker. Or at least use him for STs. If we were to get both WRs, i think Lewis and Brown would be out. Hank Baskett I don't wat would happen with him or Avant.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
yeah, fine throw all game, but at least throw to some good WRs, what the hell are you thinking.

I would love to get Crayton in, but then we would have a surplus of WR, Reggie should he could be good with accurate throws from feeley. DeSaun Jackson is another WR the eagless should get, they need a speed guy, a game change and game breaker. Or at least use him for STs. If we were to get both WRs, i think Lewis and Brown would be out. Hank Baskett I don't wat would happen with him or Avant.
No chance Brown is out. He signed a lengthy contract extension.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
jefepowhnzer
Rookie

jefepowhnzer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

After all the dicussion about loyalty and McNabb does anyone else get the strong feeling that he will be returning in 2008 with job in hand? It doesn't look like Kolb will get in any snaps during the final 3 games which, to me, means the team is leaning toward McNabb's return in 2008. It wouldn't be hard for them to justify his return. All they have to say is something along the lines of, "It's only just been a little over a year since his injury and it wouldn't be fair to him or the team if he weren't the QB next year." That and the possibilities of a good deal for him seem to be drying up. About 3 weeks ago you could confidently say that Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota, KC, Miami and SF were possible suitors and may offer something good. But now it looks like Rex Grossman has won himself another year of play, and Tarvaris Jackson(and Croyle to a lesser degree) are showing signs of their potential. That only leaves Miami, Atlanta and San Francisco. Assuming the FO is looking for a deal that includes a 1st rounder for the 08 draft then I think it's safe to remove both Miami and SF from contention; we all know SF #1 pick goes to NE, and Miami will have the #1 overall and there's no way they trade the #1 overall for McNabb(not to mention Beck is already there). Out of the "obvious" teams, with the exception of Atlanta, there is 0 to little chance of the FO getting a deal they want. Possible dark horses, just to throw names around(and still VERY VERY unlikely), are Baltimore, Carolina and Detroit.

Just some thoughts.
jefepowhnzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

^^
Baltomore is actually sensable Steve McNair was injured and before that he was having a very underwelming season and Kyle Boller's contract is going to expire if I am not mistaken.
Carolina is also having similar problems with David Carr and Jake Delohmme
Lions could for sure be a contender if Jon Kitna retires

however there is a strong possibility that even if we want to rid our selves of Mcnabb that we will get stuck with him because of the amount of goof QBs in the draft
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kenny Phillips. 'Nuff said
Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Incinerator
Rookie

Incinerator hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

do you guys think that there is any chance that the Eagles trade for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams since they both seem to be availabel this offseason? I don't really think it will happen, but I would give anything for us to be able to get a really great #1 receiver.

In my opinion the biggest problem with our offense is the WRs, if we got either of them and got Kenny Phillips in the draft I would think we would be one of the top teams in the NFC again. Especially with another offseason of rehab/training for McNabb. (Assuming he stays with the Eagles, which I also hope happens because I'm not a big fan of Kolb's)
Incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

ahhhh the Lions give up one of their play makers and same with the Bungles, Carson to Chad, who knows what they have with Henry and his problems.

Kenny would be amazing would it solve all our problems, no but it helps give a good future starter and depth.

WR a play making speed guy is needed, the eagles can see that, they have westbrook but even he needs help, when he gets double covered or is having a off day. And they know they need help are the return position, but with the eagles you have no idea what the hell they are going to do. Hell we might end up with Campbell somehow.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
^^
Baltomore is actually sensable Steve McNair was injured and before that he was having a very underwelming season and Kyle Boller's contract is going to expire if I am not mistaken.
Carolina is also having similar problems with David Carr and Jake Delohmme
Lions could for sure be a contender if Jon Kitna retires

however there is a strong possibility that even if we want to rid our selves of Mcnabb that we will get stuck with him because of the amount of goof QBs in the draft
Boller signed a 1 year extension. Looks like he'll get a chance to compete with Troy Smith for the starting job next year.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinerator View Post
do you guys think that there is any chance that the Eagles trade for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams since they both seem to be availabel this offseason? I don't really think it will happen, but I would give anything for us to be able to get a really great #1 receiver.

In my opinion the biggest problem with our offense is the WRs, if we got either of them and got Kenny Phillips in the draft I would think we would be one of the top teams in the NFC again. Especially with another offseason of rehab/training for McNabb. (Assuming he stays with the Eagles, which I also hope happens because I'm not a big fan of Kolb's)
I would say there is little chance that the Eagles will get either of those WR's because of the cost involved (high draft picks) and the money already invested in the WR core (Curtis was a big money FA, and Brown is on a long extension). It is possible that one of these guys is available, but don't you think the Redskins or many other teams would make that move before the Eagles would? I'd say so. Heck, I wouldn't be upset with a Roy or Chad on our team, but I just don't see it happening.

That being said, Kenny Phillips is probably gone before the Eagles draft, unless they manage to trade up. If the Eagles went out and traded for a big time WR, that would cost a first rounder at least. Don't count on them getting either of these options.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
camp_eagles
Rookie

camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.

If LJ leaves I believe the eagles should go after John Carlson he is a stud i have seen him practice live and he was very impressive.

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ
camp_eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I am 98% certain that LJ Smith will be on another NFL franchise in 2008. The Eagles tend to lock up their core guys before their contract year. LJ is also coming off injuries (as we know). I think he's a bit overrated by other teams, so the Eagles probably won't have the best offer for him. They also seem to really like Celek in their offense. McNabb went to him in some really key spots the last few weeks. I would be perfectly fine having Celek and Schobel next year as our TE's, but I do agree that another TE would be needed.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Given the Eagles issues with depth and age at DB and at OT, they probably will spend their first round pick on a player in that area. Perhaps DE because I expect Howard and Kearse out the door.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
camp_eagles
Rookie

camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.

I have seen a few mocks where the eagles get Calais Campbell do you think the eagles will take a shot on a project like him?

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:

R.I.P. JJ
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Campbell is a monster prospect with unreal skills. The Eagles have a potential hole at DE. I think that the team does an excellent job at being aggressive and going after the guys they want. If they like him best, they will get him if they can for a reasonable price. Past cases: McDougle, Andrews. Also traded Al Harris, which resulted in the Sheldon Brown pick.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
camp_eagles
Rookie

I would love to see Campbell in Philly but i have to remind myself that the draft is still very far away and he could easily move back up draft boards.

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:

R.I.P. JJ