Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC East Division Forum

NFC East Division Forum Discuss the NFC East

Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know why this is a great show?

Because the NFL is all about MATCH UPS! Exploiting MATCH UPS. Welcome to the NFL Match Up! Ha ha... Gotta love that show!

Key Match Ups for the Cowboys:

1) Marc Columbo vs Michael Strahan. Columbo has been a quiet, unsung hero for the Cowboys this year. He doesn't get enough credit for the job he's done. He's not the greatest RT on the planet, but he's a feisty technician who has won most of his battles. His task is never easy against Strahan, but this is a key area of the game that will have consequences if Columbo loses more battles than he wins. Romo will get pressured on Sunday. That is undeniable. Smart teams know that they need to force Romo to scramble to his left, because when he rolls right, he makes things happen. Columbo needs to make sure Strahan isn't in the way.

2) Roy Williams vs Jeremy Shockey. Here's the thing I see between this match up. Shockey has the ability to exploit Roy, but the Giants this year seem to have decided to utilize Shockey as an extra blocker and/or decoy on the offense. I'm not a Giants fan, so I don't know if he's not a big part of the offensive game plan or if Eli doesn't trust him as much as his other receivers or if teams have found a way to take Shockey out... I don't know the answer. I do know that Shockey is not having the type of season many expected. Yes, he's improved weaknesses in his game from the blocking perspective, and he's still got that nasty attitude, but as far as an offensive threat, he just hasn't been that this year. If the Giants refuse to take advantage of his abilities, then Roy will look like he had another good game... on the way to another Pro Bowl year. ;) Shockey is the best threat the Giants can use against the Cowboys with the assumption that Newman does ok in covering Plax (no sure thing btw). I think Eli will make the mistake of trying to make Toomer their best weapon and Toomer will make plays that will frustrate Cowboys fans, but not enough to lead the Giants to a victory win.

3) I'm tired... finish this up later...
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:34 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The Giants this year seem to have decided to utilize Shockey as an extra blocker and/or decoy on the offense.
Hit the nail on the head there. For some reason he is not used at all and would definitely be a huge threat this season. Ever since Coughlin became the HC, Shockey has seen less and less action as a receiver and more and more action as a decoy/blocker.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still not sold on Newman playing Plax one-on-one. We run a RCB and LCB system this year. We trust our corners...with the latest reports on Henry it looks like he won't play base defense this week either. Basically it means that Henry will match up outside at RCB and Reeves at LCB in nickel/Dime. Which means Newman won't see Plax unless he is in the slot..I'm pretty sure the Giants hardly ever line him up here.

Reeves is extremely fast so look for him to sit back and read. If Plax lines up on the offenses right side...dallas won't move Newman over...he will be set up against Reeves....but this just means that Reeves will receive deep inside help. I don't care who you are...but shutdown cb's just don't exist. You play your best CB on the #2 WR and then you double to off side imo...that is the best way to win a battle.

I found it interesting that BBD said Ellis wasn't as effective as Spencer. Because that isn't close to true...with Ellis in the game we have seen a whole different blocking schemes used against us. Ellis doesn't see single teams. I wouldn't say he is exclusively doubled like Ware is...but he is chipped or helped out by a back a lot more than Spencer ever was. Ellis is also great at holding contain and reading the TE two things that Spencer really struggled at in game one. Ellis is a huge upgrade and will be a big factor in this game.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I'm still not sold on Newman playing Plax one-on-one. We run a RCB and LCB system this year. We trust our corners...with the latest reports on Henry it looks like he won't play base defense this week either. Basically it means that Henry will match up outside at RCB and Reeves at LCB in nickel/Dime. Which means Newman won't see Plax unless he is in the slot..I'm pretty sure the Giants hardly ever line him up here.

Reeves is extremely fast so look for him to sit back and read. If Plax lines up on the offenses right side...dallas won't move Newman over...he will be set up against Reeves....but this just means that Reeves will receive deep inside help. I don't care who you are...but shutdown cb's just don't exist. You play your best CB on the #2 WR and then you double to off side imo...that is the best way to win a battle.

I found it interesting that BBD said Ellis wasn't as effective as Spencer. Because that isn't close to true...with Ellis in the game we have seen a whole different blocking schemes used against us. Ellis doesn't see single teams. I wouldn't say he is exclusively doubled like Ware is...but he is chipped or helped out by a back a lot more than Spencer ever was. Ellis is also great at holding contain and reading the TE two things that Spencer really struggled at in game one. Ellis is a huge upgrade and will be a big factor in this game.
I heartily agree on that point. Ellis has been far better this season, both in his pass rush and his run-stopping. He's struggled a bit in coverage, but in exchange he provides veteran leadership for the defense that it seemed to lack early on in the season.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
The Belichick gameplan is keep Romo in the pocket, take away the deep middle, and force him to either make his deep throws towards the sideline or his short throws in front of the LB and CB in zone.

It is the basic principal to the Saban/Belichick Pass D. Pack the middle and force it to the outside. If you can make the throws you will score.

How you think the Colts dogged them recently -- down and out once you get past the CB in zone covering the flats. 15 yards every time if you can make the throws and keep the CB/S honest with another pattern in the area.

THe other options to beat this D is get two WR who can get 30 yards downfield fast and attack the safeties before the rush gets there.........
I meant a Bellichick strategy referring to his strategies against the Bills in the SB and the Rams in the SB.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think if Newman doesn't cover Plax, that would be a mistake on Dallas's part. Thats an advantage for us in my eyes, I'll keep an eye on it.

My reasoning is this:

1. Diehl has more trouble with speed than power. Spencer provides more speed off the edge and it clearly gave Diehl some trouble the first time.

2. Ellis is not as good as Spencer in coverage. That could be an advantage for us.

3. From what Ive seen, I was impressed by Spencer. Now youve seen more than me, so I'll take your word for it, but physically I just felt that Spencer was the better option.

*shrug*

You know this defense much better than I do though, so I'll take your word for it.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think if Newman doesn't cover Plax, that would be a mistake on Dallas's part. Thats an advantage for us in my eyes, I'll keep an eye on it.

My reasoning is this:

1. Diehl has more trouble with speed than power. Spencer provides more speed off the edge and it clearly gave Diehl some trouble the first time.

2. Ellis is not as good as Spencer in coverage. That could be an advantage for us.

3. From what Ive seen, I was impressed by Spencer. Now youve seen more than me, so I'll take your word for it, but physically I just felt that Spencer was the better option.

*shrug*

You know this defense much better than I do though, so I'll take your word for it.

I think Spencer's done pretty well-for a rookie. Greg Ellis, though, is one of those guys who doesn't get enough credit for how strong a pass rusher he really is.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

My reasoning is this:

*shrug*

I don't care if your Deion Sanders reincarnated....CB's can't effectively take a good WR out one on one anymore. You put Newman out on an island...against a number 1 WR there is going to be problems. Sure he could man up on a bad #1 WR like against the vikings...but really there is no reason to do this. Your basically asking him to play a perfect game...and if he doesn't then there is problems. By manning him up on Toomer...you now effectively take Mannings 2nd option out of the game...plus leave over the top/inside help to henry for him to gamble. Which is why I think you see Henry's INT numbers so high...he is put in a position to gamble whereas when Newman is in there he is asked to stay at home more. But like I said...we'll play sides...so if Plax is in the slot Newman will be on him...or if Shockey splits out to the slot he'll be on him...matching up one-on-one in todays NFL is just too dangerous. It's asking too much of your DB when the WR knows the routes and when the ball is going to be there...such a disadvantage.

The interesting thing with Ellis coming back is that since it has happened Ware and Ellis have been switching sides more...since Ellis knows both sides he can effectively move around...and leave Ware or himself with mismatches...this is something that wasn't able to be done with Spencer. And it's not because of Spencers abilities but just because he is a rookie and doesn't have the knowledge or the experience at this point.

While Ellis isn't a guy you want on Wes Welker...either is Anthony Spencer. I don't know how that got so screwed up against NE but props to them for exploiting it. While Spencer's athletic ability makes him a better matchup one on one with a TE or back....Ellis has the far superior awareness...he has been making plays in the passing game quite a bit as of late. He made a huge stop on Westbrook last week one on one on a third down...huge momentum swing for us. Ellis in a zone doesn't worry me.

Spencer is a great athlete don't get me wrong. But even Wade Phillips said in a press conference on Ellis's first start that Ellis was an upgrade at this point in the season...not to knock Spencer...but Ellis was simply just more ready to be an everydown player.

Also don't forget while Spencer doesn't play a lot in the base defense...he is our outside rusher when we switch to the nickel or Dime...and Ellis slips to the inside. Some the speed mismatch can still be exploited.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would not be surprised to see Cowboys D in Dime with a little more beef than Roy.....

Ellis/Johnson/Ratliff/Spencer
Ware/Burnett
Newman/Reeves/Henry/Watkins/Hamlin
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
I would not be surprised to see Cowboys D in Dime with a little more beef than Roy.....

Ware/Burnett
Wade loves rushing Ware way too much to move him into coverage in my opinion.... Unless you have him coming from the inside in this suggestion. I really wish we wouldn't rush him as much or we would start moving him around more like at the beginning of the season. It seems like a waste of his overall talent to just blitz blitz blitz everytime... but whatever, I guess everyone wants a merriman.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Wade loves rushing Ware way too much to move him into coverage in my opinion.... Unless you have him coming from the inside in this suggestion. I really wish we wouldn't rush him as much or we would start moving him around more like at the beginning of the season. It seems like a waste of his overall talent to just blitz blitz blitz everytime... but whatever, I guess everyone wants a merriman.
I love that lineup inup -- provides coverage, beef and blitz potential.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Ware/Burnett

LOL just keep praying/wishing to get him out of the lineup.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Cowboys turn the ball over less than 2 times this game they win in a walk. The Giants' sack numbers (30 in 8 games) is very skewed. Take out the rediculous thrashing of the Eagles and you have 18 in 7 games. Their pass rush is comparable to Dallas' rush (21 in 8 games). Neither team is a hellhound on the pass rush but both teams are solid at rushing the passer.

Eli Manning is not appreciably better than he's been in the last two seasons (Sorry NYG fans, he is what he is. He's Mike Maddux to his brother's Greg Maddux). Manning is completing less than 60% of his passes, has less than a 1.5 TD/INT ratio and is averaging only 6.4 yards per attempt. Eli Manning is Drew Bledsoe (compare Bledsoe's career stats to Eli and you'll see they are the same player).

Romo's got a 100.0 rating for the season (which includes the disaster in Buffalo of 5 picks). He's playing at an exceptional level this year. TO is on pace for 12 TD's, 1400 yards and 85+ catches. And TO has been able to hold onto the ball this season.

I think at every position on offense, the Cowboys are superior to the NYG. WR, TE, QB, RB, and OL. On Defense I'm not sold on the NYG yet. I do think Aaron Ross is going to be a good CB for years to come but other than the sack totals, the NYG defense is pretty pedestrian.

I'm not normally a fan of taking out the best performance of the season when talking about a team or player. In reality, the best performance does count so it should be factored in. However, the NYG/Philly game was such an abberation that it grossly exaggerates the mean.

What I see is a game that if the Turnovers are <2 for the Cowboys they win 35-21. If Romo turns the ball over more than 2 times then the G-Men have a legitimate shot at the win. If the 'Boys turn it over 2 times then it's close. 28-24 'Boys.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Last edited by LSUALUM99 : 11-09-2007 at 06:35 PM.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
LOL just keep praying/wishing to get him out of the lineup.
I always want the team to get better. Don't you?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
If the Cowboys turn the ball over less than 2 times this game they win in a walk. The Giants' sack numbers (30 in 8 games) is very skewed. Take out the rediculous thrashing of the Eagles and you have 18 in 7 games. Their pass rush is comparable to Dallas' rush (21 in 8 games). Neither team is a hellhound on the pass rush but both teams are solid at rushing the passer.

Eli Manning is not appreciably better than he's been in the last two seasons (Sorry NYG fans, he is what he is. He's Mike Maddux to his brother's Greg Maddux). Manning is completing less than 60% of his passes, has less than a 1.5 TD/INT ratio and is averaging only 6.4 yards per attempt. Eli Manning is Drew Bledsoe (compare Bledsoe's career stats to Eli and you'll see they are the same player).

Romo's got a 100.0 rating for the season (which includes the disaster in Buffalo of 5 picks). He's playing at an exceptional level this year. TO is on pace for 12 TD's, 1400 yards and 85+ catches. And TO has been able to hold onto the ball this season.

I think at every position on offense, the Cowboys are superior to the NYG. WR, TE, QB, RB, and OL. On Defense I'm not sold on the NYG yet. I do think Aaron Ross is going to be a good CB for years to come but other than the sack totals, the NYG defense is pretty pedestrian.

I'm not normally a fan of taking out the best performance of the season when talking about a team or player. In reality, the best performance does count so it should be factored in. However, the NYG/Philly game was such an abberation that it grossly exaggerates the mean.

What I see is a game that if the Turnovers are <2 for the Cowboys they win 35-21. If Romo turns the ball over more than 2 times then the G-Men have a legitimate shot at the win. If the 'Boys turn it over 2 times then it's close. 28-24 'Boys.
This is a perfect example though of why I hate using numbers as justification of this or that. They don't tell the whole truth. If you see the Giants games, while the sack #s dipped after that Eagles game, our pass rush has continuously gotten to the qb. We have a ton of qb hurries, and we should actually have even more sacks than we do, but poor tackling led to some errant throws instead.

I don't think theres any question that we have the superior pass rush. Just watch them play and you can see it, forget the numbers.

However, like you said, thats really all we bank on defensively. We don't have great skill position players in the back 7 outside of Ross. We live and die with our pass rush, thats really all there is to it. If we get there, we have a chance. If we don't, the Cowboys will score at will.

And let's be honest, Cowboy fans need to let go of the Drew Bledsoe comparisons. If Drew Bledsoe was even half of what Eli Manning is, he'd have a job right now. He doesn't. He's sitting home, and he's gonna break open a bag of popcorn and enjoy the game with the rest of us. Let's accept that fact, and move on.

I personally think our WR cores are a draw (factoring in Shockey and Witten as "receivers") but thats debateable. Toomer is better than Crayton, our slots are a wash, Burress and TO have been on par this season, Witten > Shockey. Its a wash to me.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
I don't care if your Deion Sanders reincarnated....CB's can't effectively take a good WR out one on one anymore. You put Newman out on an island...against a number 1 WR there is going to be problems. Sure he could man up on a bad #1 WR like against the vikings...but really there is no reason to do this. Your basically asking him to play a perfect game...and if he doesn't then there is problems. By manning him up on Toomer...you now effectively take Mannings 2nd option out of the game...plus leave over the top/inside help to henry for him to gamble. Which is why I think you see Henry's INT numbers so high...he is put in a position to gamble whereas when Newman is in there he is asked to stay at home more. But like I said...we'll play sides...so if Plax is in the slot Newman will be on him...or if Shockey splits out to the slot he'll be on him...matching up one-on-one in todays NFL is just too dangerous. It's asking too much of your DB when the WR knows the routes and when the ball is going to be there...such a disadvantage.

The interesting thing with Ellis coming back is that since it has happened Ware and Ellis have been switching sides more...since Ellis knows both sides he can effectively move around...and leave Ware or himself with mismatches...this is something that wasn't able to be done with Spencer. And it's not because of Spencers abilities but just because he is a rookie and doesn't have the knowledge or the experience at this point.

While Ellis isn't a guy you want on Wes Welker...either is Anthony Spencer. I don't know how that got so screwed up against NE but props to them for exploiting it. While Spencer's athletic ability makes him a better matchup one on one with a TE or back....Ellis has the far superior awareness...he has been making plays in the passing game quite a bit as of late. He made a huge stop on Westbrook last week one on one on a third down...huge momentum swing for us. Ellis in a zone doesn't worry me.

Spencer is a great athlete don't get me wrong. But even Wade Phillips said in a press conference on Ellis's first start that Ellis was an upgrade at this point in the season...not to knock Spencer...but Ellis was simply just more ready to be an everydown player.

Also don't forget while Spencer doesn't play a lot in the base defense...he is our outside rusher when we switch to the nickel or Dime...and Ellis slips to the inside. Some the speed mismatch can still be exploited.

Well, in Newman's defense, he has shut down Burress before. I just think that a team's best CB should be on the other team's best WR. And if necessary, give him help up top. You gotta worry about taking away a team's #1 WR before their #2. Thats just personal preference though.

I personally haven't been a fan of Right and Left CBs unless you have 2 elite CBs, which most teams don't. That just allows offenses to move around their pieces and isolate matchups in their favor.

Im gonna play close attention to what Dallas does defensively this game, Im still learning the ropes on how Wade operates. Its different from what Im accustomed to seeing out of a 3-4 front.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the real deciding factor is the battle of Rutgers players

O'Hara>Nathan Jones, therefore, Giants win. final score being 31-23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think 2 unsung heros on both lines are Columbo for the Cowboys, and Shaun O'Hara for the Giants.

O'Hara has been playing great this season. Him and Columbo are similar in a sense that neither have great measurables, but both just seem to get the job done.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jason Garrett aka The Red Baron will come to throw the ball early in the game. He doesn't use the running game to wear down opposite teams, he uses the passing game to do that, so he can run with great success in the second half against a tired DL.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD-

Honestly, it's not the Cowboy fans that need to let go of the Bledsoe comparisons, it's the NYG fans that need to realize that Eli is never going to be an elite QB.

(To be fair, Bledsoe was a good QB in this league, never elite, but still top 15 at any point in his career).

I've been asking for two years when the NYG fans will accept that about Eli. In Eli's third year all the NYG fans said 'this is the year to decide if he's got it or not'. When his stats and play was about the same as the year before the NYG fans said that he hadn't started enough games. Before this year the NYG fans said 'this is the year we'll find out about Eli' and it's half way over. Eli is putting up the same stats he always does.

BBD, you know that I am one of the Cowboy fans that loves Bill Parcells. I think what he did in Dallas was exceptional from a talent standpoint. I am one of the few that thinks his time here a a success. To that end, I also greatly enjoyed his press conferences and his insight to the game of football. Bill said on several occasions that 20 starts are the magic number for QB's. He even referenced Bill Walsh's comments on starts for QB's. That by the 20th start you have what you have. QB's do not get appreciably better after that in most cases.

I've posted the statistics of just about every major QB from the past 25 years on this sight showing that by the end of their third year (usually they have 20-25 starts by this point) they are what they are. NYG fans continue to delude themselves into thinking Eli will become a top 10 QB in this league.

(Again, to be fair, Cowboy fans continue to delude themselves that Roy Williams is a top 5 S in this league too).

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
osi+ap=allshallperish
Rookie

osi+ap=allshallperish hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

See there's your mistake. Now I don't think eli is a great QB, but it isn't because his stats are poor. His stats are poor because, with Killdrive at OC, Eli throws more deep passes than almost any other QB in the league, never do we get shockey and the slot involved with short and intermediate passes. So Eli's stats will always be tainted playing in this O. However Eli has shown that he throws an absolutely beautiful deep ball and he has shown in the past he can lead this team when it matters and he has support, with Tiki no longer undermining him and the coaching staff I would be surprised if we collapsed this year unless we again loss 5 of our top 6 players.
osi+ap=allshallperish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM    (permalink
osi+ap=allshallperish
Rookie

osi+ap=allshallperish hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As for the Game at Hand all I can say is this is going to be one hell of a game. I'm not worried about dallas running the ball on us because I'm pretty sure they'll focus on establishing the pass instead of just pounding our smaller Dline. So i think that we could see the 4 aces package coming in on 2nd and long more often and so I wouldn't be shocked if we kept Romo on the run all game. Unfortunately Romo is great at avoiding pressure and rolling out to his right, so strahan and however else will be on that side will have to make sure to contain romo. Witten is going to burn us, Witten is going to burn us repeatedly, until we start doubling him with Wilk and a safety. I think Ross will shutdown Crayton and Madison will be able to prevent TO from hooking up with romo deep as long as we give him safety help over top, which is why I am praying that James Butler isn't healthy enough to play. We need to have 11 defenders and not 10 plus Butler.

On O we will be able to run the ball on them but what happens when we have to pass to keep up? Well if Dallas doesn't keep Newman on Plax all game than I see Eli finding plax deep a few times, as plax is the healthiest he's been since like training camp. Unfortunately Killdrive hates throwing to Shockey so we won't be able to pick on Roy Williams as much but expect shockey to help contain Ware and that pass rush. I pray that this game doesn't come down to the kickers since Tynes is one of the worst in the nfl, unless this was all a trick by the coaching staff so that people think he sucks but really he's a werewolf, FROM THE FUTURE!!!
osi+ap=allshallperish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The funny thing about not worring about the running game is that we still run for 127 a game. So if you throw your ace package in dallas is going to run against you. If one thing has been changed from the start of the season to now..it is that Romo has been given more control at the LOS. He has been great at this...Witten only had 3 catches in the NE game...but they came back/back/back and it was because we caught NE in a bad defense...and Romo went no huddle and hit him 3 times in a row until we got a incomplete pass and they got a sub package on the field. Romo basically goes up to the line....reads how many guys are in the box and then decides which play to run. If you guys come out in a soft 7 front...we will run the ball and run it effectively.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throw all the numbers away. Throw all the past games away. This is a new game and will be a hard fought war on the field.

I've said my thoughts about Columbo vs Strahan and Roy vs Shockey...

Other key match ups I see on Sunday have to do with the Giants Four Aces Package. Right now the Giants defense has to be sitting on top of the world gleaming about their new found strength unique in today's NFL. But I believe the Cowboys have the talent to combat it.

RB blitz pick up
In one typical play, when the Giants call overload zone blitz, Tuck and Kiwi will slant hard to the right from the two middle DT positions drawing the pass protection towards the strong side while the blitz is going to come from the weakside. Tuck, will slant right and draw Gurode to his left. Strahan takes a wide rushing angle to his left drawing Columbo as far right as he can, to create as much space possible between Gurode going left and Columbo going right... in order to open up that gap for the blitz. That leaves the RG Leonard Davis in space with no one to block from the DL. Antonio Pierce and Aaron Ross (or a WLB) will simultaneously try to hit that gap...Pierce will get in Davis' face and Ross will try to slip by and get to Romo as fast as he can running through that gap. If who ever Dallas has lined up back there (Jones or Barber) doesn't pick up the blitz well enough, expect Romo to be in trouble fast. Now Davis has the ability to pick up both Pierce and Ross on occassion, but he's got to be aware and regardless that can't be counted on. So the RB will have to be extra ready to pick up the blitz.

Osi vs Witten
Now on the opposite side, Osi's assignment could be to drop back and cover Witten or rush the passer. If he rushes, he will either have a free path to Romo (since Kiwi slants around Flozell's left) or he'll draw the RB and the blitz pressure will have a free path to the QB. If Osi tries to cover Witten, Romo will have to diagnose the play quickly enough to get rid of the ball fast. This is where Witten will have an advantage over Osi, but he won't have much time before the zone coverage rolls over.

The pressure attack will be unlike any the Cowboys have faced this year. Their ability to handle it will determine the winner of this game.

In another type of blitz from the Four Aces Formation, Tuck and Kiwi will stunt on the interior. Osi takes a wide outside angle on the right and Strahan feigns an outside rush before dropping into coverage to cover the MB3 out of the backfield. At the same time Pierce and McQuarters blitz into opposite gaps. The interior twist by Tuck and Kiwi in addition to the heavy right side pressure will force the Cowboys OL to change blocking assignments on the fly. The confusion enables Pierce to reach the QB untouched. If the Cowboys aren't prepared to make adjustments to the Giants 4 Aces, it could be a long day.

Fortunately the Boys have the ability to counter. Romo is an above average scrambler, Witten can beat DE coverage, MB3 is a great blocker and JJ is an improving one. Cowboys have to think fast and smart and stay out of long yardage situations. Forget the draw. The Aces are all good run defenders.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I was under that assumption that when the aces package came in they tended just to drop 7 in coverage. Which was the point of getting 4 great rushers on the line. If they bring 5 or 6 guys, romo has been the most efficient QB in the league against the blitz. If this happens look for TO to go across the middle often....romo is good at getting the ball into the middle or flats against the blitz...so that doesn't worry me much.

Designs by me
Quote: