Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
I'm a proponent of an accelerated degree system for athletes looking to leave school early. So a two year stay in college where they can earn a degree in case their career as a basketball player fails. Too many times these kids put all their eggs into playing pro ball and when they fail have nothing to fall back on.
Huh? Why could they not go back to school afterwards if they want to?
S T R I N G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S T R I N G View Post
Huh? Why could they not go back to school afterwards if they want to?
You actually think these guys go back to school after their playing days are over?

A majority of them don't have a degree and never get one.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
You actually think these guys go back to school after their playing days are over?

A majority of them don't have a degree and never get one.
So because the players don't care about their eductation enough to go back and finish their degree program, universities should coddle them by making their university experience easier than everyone else's?
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like that HS players can't opt for the draft anymore. In the big picture, it was killing the NBA. A few made it successful, but as a whole sweetness is right, too much babysitting.

On the other hand, the 1 and done option hurts for college basketball. Coaches must hate it. So much recruiting effort for a 1 year player. But they can't help it. The NCAA/NBA CAN'T make the restriction for 2 or 3 years. Unlike football and baseball, basketball kids can go to Europe and make bank.

The path of Europe instead of college will grow. Brandon Jennings proved it works. He gets paid, he puts up bad stats, but still gets drafted high. If you've got enough upside, the NBA doesn't care about stats. People get confused... saying "Oh he looks bad over there... blah blah blah". It's an inacurate way of looking at it. Jennings did it because he didn't have the grades. But I think kids who have the grades may choose that option because of the money and the overseas experience. Just wait till the next "Lebron" comes along. Europe will jump all over his bones. Millions of dollars for 1 year overseas or 1 year of college.... Hmmmm.... It ain't a hard decision.

My solution: The NBA HAS TO allow HS kids to be drafted. But before that, they HAVE TO come up with a better working system than the NBDL. There needs to be a "minor league" system where the kids who aren't ready can develop and the kids that are ready can stay on the NBA club. Right now, the NBDL has turned into a league of try outs. Bunch of raggamuffin college flameouts scraping for 10 day NBA contracts. The system sucks. Sending a high draft pick there could do more harm than good.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish the declaring rules were the same as football.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I wish the declaring rules were the same as football.
Yeah, but it ain't that simple. HS basketball kids can go to Europe and get paid. HS football kids don't have that option.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Yeah, but it ain't that simple. HS basketball kids can go to Europe and get paid. HS football kids don't have that option.
Yeah I wish american football was more popular around the world. They actually have pro leagues in Europe but its not as popular as basketball by any means. I got a friend QB'in in Germany right now and a couple of my teammates went to play in New Zealand. I don't think they're making near as much money as NFL players but they're happy I guess.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yeah I wish american football was more popular around the world. They actually have pro leagues in Europe but its not as popular as basketball by any means. I got a friend QB'in in Germany right now and a couple of my teammates went to play in New Zealand. I don't think they're making near as much money as NFL players but they're happy I guess.
Yeah. Not enough money involved to convince HS football athletes to skip college.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

plus, the physical demands for football are higher. 18-19 year old kids would get absolutely CRUSHED if they could go straight to the NBA, or even after one year. Football's got it right and there's no other way for them to go.

One and done is slowly killing the college game. It gives a team hope for a year, and then bam, it's gone (in some cases, not all, but you get the idea). The D league is there, use it. Let a kid enter and stay in the D league for a year to mature himself being away from home for the first time, his game and his body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, how about this?

Coming out of High School, a player can do one of two things. Either go to the D-League for one year, and be eligible for the NBA the next, or play college or European ball for three years and then be eligible?
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
So, how about this?

Coming out of High School, a player can do one of two things. Either go to the D-League for one year, and be eligible for the NBA the next, or play college or European ball for three years and then be eligible?
Wouldn't mind this except Colleges would gettin assed out every time.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
plus, the physical demands for football are higher. 18-19 year old kids would get absolutely CRUSHED if they could go straight to the NBA, or even after one year. Football's got it right and there's no other way for them to go.

One and done is slowly killing the college game. It gives a team hope for a year, and then bam, it's gone (in some cases, not all, but you get the idea). The D league is there, use it. Let a kid enter and stay in the D league for a year to mature himself being away from home for the first time, his game and his body.
I wasn't saying that Football should be like Basketball I was saying that Basketball should be like Football where the players have to stay in school for more years than one before they can declare. But as D said, they have the option to go play in Europe.

How to fix a problem like this? The NBA could some how create a pay scale that takes how good you are and how long you stayed in school into consideration. I know its dumb but that's the only thing I could come up with off the top of my head.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wouldn't mind this except Colleges would gettin assed out every time.
Totally agree...

If the D-league was included in this thing, there would be like 20 out of the Top 50 recruits going to college, if even that.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So, how about this?

Well as long as they are drafted before going to the D-League, I don't think the players would mind, because they are now getting paid. As I said before, the teams should allow the ones who are ready to be playing for the NBA club. The ones who aren't should go to the NBDL.

But I hate it because each team in the NBA doesn't have their own NBDL team. Teams have all kinds of systems and they change HCs so often. It becomes difficult for NBDL teams to implement the same system as their parent teams. You'd have to allow new NBA HCs to select their NBDL HC too. Then there is the whole financing behind it, finding the facilities, the fan interest, marketing, blah blah blah.

You'd also have to expand the draft. Because the biggest problem now is that NBDL teams are filled with UDFAs. There's no real commitment to these players. ...and there definitely is no promise that they'll play in the NBA. That's not a major stickler though. If they don't make it to the NBA that's fine. Just saying, you have a bunch of guys off the street with nothing to lose playing for pennies and fighting for a 10 day contract... what you get is a very bad product. So I say expand the draft. Get every team their own NBDL team, fill those teams with the majority being drafted players. Get the requirement up on those rookie contracts. 2nd rounders should get more than a 1 year minimum deal. Boost the money too.

There are a lot of things to consider. You'll run into road blocks... Say for instance... what if there is no talent in the draft pool? NBA starting rosters are so small. ...and in today's game you need 4-5 all star caliber players to be competitive. You see where I'm getting at. Basketball is a tough one to fix.

But hey, at least they got the NCAA tournament and the NBA playoffs down to perfection.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh if not going to college every single ball player would go to Europe over the D-league. Over in Europe they can make over a million or more in Euro's, in the D-league I believe the salary which is the same for every player is between 75k and 100k, plus the competition in Europe is much better than the D-league.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

I think the NBA should try and buyout an elite league in Europe (Just one) or form one and convince all the top club teams to join it. I'm sure it would be mere pocket change for the NBA.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:10 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Eh if not going to college every single ball player would go to Europe over the D-league. Over in Europe they can make over a million or more in Euro's, in the D-league I believe the salary which is the same for every player is between 75k and 100k, plus the competition in Europe is much better than the D-league.
That would be true right away, but after filtering the best high schoolers it would quickly even, theorhetically.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4419340

Michael Beasley to rehab for supposedly marijuana.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLO View Post

Hah Shocker, lol.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So because the players don't care about their eductation enough to go back and finish their degree program, universities should coddle them by making their university experience easier than everyone else's?
I didn't say make it easier, I said make an accelerated degree program which would allow them to graduate with an associates or something before they leave.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doing an NBA draft n the fantasy section.

Join now!
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's more than just the marijuana for Beasley. Look at the stuff he was posting on Twitter:

“Y do I feel like the whole world is against me…I can’t win for losin,”

“Feelin like it’s not worth livin!!!!!!! I’m done.”

I think pot should be the least of their worries. People riding his ass constantly about everything he does for the past 6 or so years is what makes things like these happen. Let the guy live, jesus, he's only 20 years old.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

The fact is these HS kids are too young and immature to be playing professional ball. You don't see a return in your choice until 2-3 years down the road. The one year college rule is a joke too because these kids don't care about anything but getting that year done and making a jump to the NBA.

Europe is probably going to become the option most of them choose but I don't think that is right either.

But I think that these kids need to look at the big picture. Having more than a high school degree is something to fall back on if their playing career fails. It will also help them mature and become better professionals when they come out. But giving these 18 and 19 years olds millions of dollars is the worst thing you can do. I can't even imagine what I'd do if I had that kind of money all of the sudden, especially when some of these kids come from poverty or low income housing.

Utilizing the NBDL would be a nice option as well. Something has to be changed though because the NBA/College system right now is a joke.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
It's more than just the marijuana for Beasley. Look at the stuff he was posting on Twitter:

“Y do I feel like the whole world is against me…I can’t win for losin,”

“Feelin like it’s not worth livin!!!!!!! I’m done.”

I think pot should be the least of their worries. People riding his ass constantly about everything he does for the past 6 or so years is what makes things like these happen. Let the guy live, jesus, he's only 20 years old.
It's one of the cons of being a pro athlete or celebrity. If he can't handle it than quit.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLO View Post

Ya there is no way he is just going for weed. I don't even think rehab centers accept people who are there because they smoke a lot of weed. If there are centers that do they should be burnt to the ground for stealing people's money under false pretenses