Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNixon View Post
He'll never get his due, but Monta is a superstar.
Posts like this are what make people hate Monta Ellis.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
“It was weird at first because I didn’t know how I was going to be welcomed back in Washington,” Arenas said. “Nervous, scared, not trying to do anything [other than] fit in. And I think I felt I lost my aggressiveness just trying to fit into something where I felt early that I wasn’t a part of. I just tried to do everything just to stay out of the headlines and stay out of people’s way.

“You’re going back to a team where you don’t know if you’re welcomed. Everyone is trying their hardest to make you feel welcomed, but when it’s forced, it’s never going to work.”

All that said, he still put up decent numbers... something I couldn't say about Shard.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...Vj_53ObimhPKB4
If 10 points on 2 of 11 shooting and 2 TO's 3 assists is a solid night than I guess I should be scared at what Rashard will do.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Posts like this are what make people hate Monta Ellis.
It's hard but I still like Monta a lot, despite EvilNixon.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
If 10 points on 2 of 11 shooting and 2 TO's 3 assists is a solid night than I guess I should be scared at what Rashard will do.
No, I didn't say that was solid. I was talking about his season so far. That's why I posted a link to his season game log. The way you talk as if he's been a turd all year. His numbers dispute that.

I saw all I needed to see yesterday. ..an overly excited player who looked completely healthy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNixon View Post
He'll never get his due, but Monta is a superstar.
Define superstar...

Because before, you said he was/would be a top 5 player, which is ridiculous. Monta isn't even top 10, so I'm wondering what your definition of superstar is.

Btw, I have no problem with Monta as a player, he's actually real good, but he's not a superstar. And the fact that you completely ignore how he plays pathetically in some games and then all of a sudden he has one huge game and he's a superstar.

Paul, Williams, Rose, Bryant, James, Wade, Howard, Nowitzki, Durant, Westbrook...that's just 10 guys off the top of my head. I know you will/have refuted some, but Monta is not better than those guys right now.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, I didn't say that was solid. I was talking about his season so far. That's why I posted a link to his season game log. The way you talk as if he's been a turd all year. His numbers dispute that.

I saw all I needed to see yesterday. ..an overly excited player who looked completely healthy.
He's been really awful this season and the numbers support that.

Anyone can put up big scoring numbers, it's just about doing it efficiently on a game to game basis which he sure as hell hasn't done.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Define superstar...

Because before, you said he was/would be a top 5 player, which is ridiculous. Monta isn't even top 10, so I'm wondering what your definition of superstar is.

Btw, I have no problem with Monta as a player, he's actually real good, but he's not a superstar. And the fact that you completely ignore how he plays pathetically in some games and then all of a sudden he has one huge game and he's a superstar.

Paul, Williams, Rose, Bryant, James, Wade, Howard, Nowitzki, Durant, Westbrook...that's just 10 guys off the top of my head. I know you will/have refuted some, but Monta is not better than those guys right now.
I'd probably put Monta before Westbrook.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I'd probably put Monta before Westbrook.
Yea probably, I was just randomly thinking of 10 people. I'll add Gasol to take his place.

Regardless, Monta might be barely top 10. He's real good, but he isn't consistent and really isn't above average at anything besides scoring.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-21-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
He's been really awful this season and the numbers support that.

Anyone can put up big scoring numbers, it's just about doing it efficiently on a game to game basis which he sure as hell hasn't done.
What are you talking about? He hasn't even put up big scoring numbers. I'm talking about his peripherals across the board. He's been nearly a 40% FG shooter, has gotten to the line consistently, his assist numbers are right at his career avg at 5.6 (all while playing SG this season), his steal numbers have been good and his blocking has been up.... and while his 3 pt% is down according to his own standards, he's still hitting 32%.

Tell me what you mean by "really awful". Otherwise, I'll just take your word as being a hater. Back up your statement, or don't bother having your words stick.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is consistent, when he isn't being run into the ground. There haven't been defenses this able to key in on one guy since Kobe's 05-06 season. He's routinely seeing 3 guys every play. He's been extremely good, and he's had stinkers. I don't deny that Monta isn't perfect. When he struggles, and I'm near my computer, I'll post it. I post on realGM Warrior forum in those game threads too.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

He's been good, and could become a superstar absolutely, but you hype him up as the next coming of Jesus. He's good, but like I said, there are a bunch of other guys, even taking out big men there's a handful of guards, that are above Monta.

I get that you are trying to get him some recognition, but the fact is without you, people on here would probably really like Monta. The reason he gets scrutinized so much is because you make him out to be much, much more than he is, which is a really good scorer with modest abilities elsewhere.

If you would just tone it down, which you have recently, people might actually start to appreciate him more and spend less time mocking you about it.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Initially the hyping was just to counter the negativity around him. When I started posting here, guys were saying the Warriors were better when he wasn't on the floor which is preposterous if you'd ever watch a game.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What are you talking about? He hasn't even put up big scoring numbers. I'm talking about his peripherals across the board. He's been nearly a 40% FG shooter, has gotten to the line consistently, his assist numbers are right at his career avg at 5.6 (all while playing SG this season), his steal numbers have been good and his blocking has been up.... and while his 3 pt% is down according to his own standards, he's still hitting 32%.

Tell me what you mean by "really awful". Otherwise, I'll just take your word as being a hater. Back up your statement, or don't bother having your words stick.
Shooting 39% from the field = horrendously bad. Amongst the worst in the NBA for players who qualify (basically, for starters or people who see decent minutes). That's almost Travis Outlaw and Trevor Ariza bad. At least Ariza plays lights out defense though, where Arenas is just a bad defender. And yes, 32% from three point is really bad too. Especially when you consider he's top 6 in the NBA in three point attempts too.

5.6 Assists a game isn't that special when you consider the fact he's turning it over 3.3 times per game. He has one of the worst Assists/Turnover ratios amongst point guards. Second worst I believe?

I'm really not a hater, it's just he's a down right awful player now. I mean he does have the potential to turn it around, which is what I'm assuming the Magic thought when they got him, but after his knee injuries it will be that much more difficult because as STRIP has mentioned he lacks a lot of his explosive quickness now.

I really don't know why you're so excited about him. You were the same with Vince when everyone told you he was a pretty bad player too. As I said earlier, the guy you should be excited for is JRich. He's a younger, more explosive/efficient version of Vince Carter.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After reading that Melo would only accept a trade if he got some help...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2dmq95q

Half-assed atempt. Give DEN a first-round pick, PHO the best first-round pick, and CHA the other two.

LLLLOLLL
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Shooting 39% from the field = horrendously bad. Amongst the worst in the NBA for players who qualify (basically, for starters or people who see decent minutes). That's almost Travis Outlaw and Trevor Ariza bad. At least Ariza plays lights out defense though, where Arenas is just a bad defender. And yes, 32% from three point is really bad too. Especially when you consider he's top 6 in the NBA in three point attempts too.

5.6 Assists a game isn't that special when you consider the fact he's turning it over 3.3 times per game. He has one of the worst Assists/Turnover ratios amongst point guards. Second worst I believe?

I'm really not a hater, it's just he's a down right awful player now. I mean he does have the potential to turn it around, which is what I'm assuming the Magic thought when they got him, but after his knee injuries it will be that much more difficult because as STRIP has mentioned he lacks a lot of his explosive quickness now.

I really don't know why you're so excited about him. You were the same with Vince when everyone told you he was a pretty bad player too. As I said earlier, the guy you should be excited for is JRich. He's a younger, more explosive/efficient version of Vince Carter.
Absolutely agree. He's the only real gem in this massive trade.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I mean Arenas and Turk are basically 2 inefficient scorers who don't bring much else to the table. Jrich was a great pickup but IMO with Vince's contract and Gortat being considered a top end backup and potential starter, you'd think you could have fished out a better deal. The Rashard/Gilbert trade is virtually a wash but I think the Magic were too quick to create change for the sake of change that they didn't view better offers out there. With Yao going down again and them having previously signed Gortat to that offer sheet I think the Magic could have yielded a deal from the Rockets centered around Gortat+VC for Kevin Martin, Shane Battier, and some other pieces involved.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im actually excited to watch the magic play for the first time in a long time, and its because of the J-Rich/Howard combo. Love those two.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Why did you just say nearly 40% from the field like that's a good number, or even a number that's not horrendously pathetic?
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:31 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember when one of the Magic fans was arguing with me about 32% (from Carter) from the 3pt line being an acceptable shooting percentage.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Yup the only players in the top 128 scorers in the league that have a worse field goal percentage than Gil are Trevor Ariza, John Salmons, Travis Outlaw, and Dorrell Wright. You have to consider though that those guys are big time defenders. Scoring is what Gil does, beyond scoring he's an average PG and defender. As bad as Rashard Lewis has been he's still been shooting far better than Gil both from the field and 3 point line. And when it comes down to it both of those guys are only on the court to score.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Travis Outlaw was going to be great in a bigger role in New Jersey. Apparently I was horribly mistaken to say the least. He always looked good to me in limited time in Portland.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I thought Travis Outlaw was going to be great in a bigger role in New Jersey. Apparently I was horribly mistaken to say the least. He always looked good to me in limited time in Portland.
Classic sixth man syndrome. Happened to Trevor Ariza, James Posey, and a few others, but most notably them. Hey, at least they got paid..
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Yeah I mean Arenas and Turk are basically 2 inefficient scorers who don't bring much else to the table. Jrich was a great pickup but IMO with Vince's contract and Gortat being considered a top end backup and potential starter, you'd think you could have fished out a better deal. The Rashard/Gilbert trade is virtually a wash but I think the Magic were too quick to create change for the sake of change that they didn't view better offers out there. With Yao going down again and them having previously signed Gortat to that offer sheet I think the Magic could have yielded a deal from the Rockets centered around Gortat+VC for Kevin Martin, Shane Battier, and some other pieces involved.
Well, the fun part is we will find out won't we. :)

Using old situations to predict new situations is where a lot of assumers go wrong. Not gonna put out any predictions for Arenas... but I do want to say that our PG position is now stronger than I can remember since Penny was here.

I do think Turk is more than basically an inefficient scorer, but you can have your opinion. IMO, he's immediately the best pick 'n roll playmaker on the team. The way he understands how to feed Dwight the ball was already apparent from yesterday's game. He understands how to use his height and length to feed him the ball from different angles as well. When he was with Orlando the last time, he was asked to be the go to scorer in the clutch. Things have changed for him now and I think he is in the perfect role as an above average role player.

A lot of people are saying JRich was the best player brought in, but I think that Arenas will have a bigger impact on this team. JRich is great off the ball, but I don't like him much as an isolation guy. He needs someone to set him up, and I think his numbers were greatly attributed to Nash. Without great ball movement, I don't think the Magic will see the same JRich that was on display in Phoenix. That said, he's an obvious upgrade over Vince... who last I heard, might go under the knife.

JRich is a FA just like Vince, so financially, and trade wise, it's near a wash. Value wise, I think the Magic got the upper hand. For sure, they weren't gonna bring back Vince... but they may with JRich. ...and now they have his Bird Rights that allow them to go over the cap to resign him. So should JRich prove to be a core player for them, like I'll assume, then they'll have the upper hand over his signing competition.

Gortat is a fringe NBA starting C, but with Nash, he could look a lot better than he actually is. Did the Magic get a bad deal? I dunno, but I'm happy about it. Once this team totally gels (and it may not happen this season), they could compete for the championship year in and year out. They might end up being like the Buffalo Bills of the 90s, but I'd still be happy about it.

I love the argument people bring up about better trades being out there, then proceed to concoct ideas out of thin air. In Otis' post trade interview he talked about being in trade talks with several teams, not just those he ended up trading with. So I feel like he did his homework about getting the best deal that "fit" the Magic.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
What? You made a mistake? Nobody does that... lol. ;)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Well, the fun part is we will find out won't we. :)

Using old situations to predict new situations is where a lot of assumers go wrong. Not gonna put out any predictions for Arenas... but I do want to say that our PG position is now stronger than I can remember since Penny was here.
Not that they are in any way similar situations, but Magic fans were using the same logic when they acquired Carter, and everyone told them how washed up he was.

I would say that using prior performance to predict future is often more reliable than not. But it is not assured, you are correct.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver