Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I can taste Carmelo Anthony.

I can ******* taste him.
Thats what she said.

But Melo needs to land in Houston and save that team.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Did I miss something? Sounds like that initial trade rumor for Melo was bogus.

I also don't think we're nearly good enough to beat anyone of note even with Melo. Heat would murder us, Celtics would likely beat us, Magic would probably be a toss up..
I think we can take the Magic. They're so overrated. I think we can hang with the Celtics too. Those geezers have to break down sooner or later. We play them tough even now without Melo.

And Amare owns Garnett. Has owned him for awhile.

The only team that would really scare me is Miami. But that's a given. I'm not saying we'll definitely beat any other team in the East, but I definitely feel that we can compete with any team in the East outside of Miami if we get Melo.

You gotta believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
That would be the worst defensive front court in playoff history. They would get absolutely destroyed on the inside by every contender in the East.
Eh. Our defense sucks anyway. What difference does it make? We'll be the same defensively while dramatically improving our offense.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What team would have a worst defensive frontcourt than Gallo-Melo-Amare?

All the elite teams have very good scoring big men(KG,Horford,Bosh,Boozer,Howard would still easily put up 25) who would destroy that frountcourt. Mozgov is really not good. I understand he has improved since the beginning of the year(where he was unplayable) but even a guy like Perkins or Shaq would have their way with him Not to mention I highly doubt Melo could guard D-Wade or chase Allen through screens
We'd be looking at Gallo/Melo-Amar'e-Mozgov/Turiaf when we have to go big, which is better than the sixers or pacers, Bulls without Noah and not much worse than Miami. If we're going small yeah we'll get scored on, but we'd have the ability to match up if we had to with Turiaf and Mozzie's recent play. Amar'e shown he can be a factor as a shot blocker when he wants to, although that's not often in right now, Melo has played good D in the playoffs before as well and Gallo's our best perimeter defender, well him or Landry Fields although Gallo's a little better for now.

We're clearly not going be the Celtics, but if our O is as good as it would be we wouldn't need to be dominant defensively we'd just need to be able to come up with key stops which we'd be able to do with that group, especially if we can wear down the opposition from having to try and contain our D.

Melo made Kobe put in work, I think he can do the same against D-wade or Ray Allen for a quarter a game. Mozzie's not great, but he is a good defender now that he's not a walking foul/fumble. His man D needs a lot of work since he's used to rushing out the perimeter, but he's a good shot blocker. Good perimeter D and shotblocking should be enough with that O to at least legitimately contend. We'd still get beat up inside sometimes but so few teams run their O through the paint that we could be able to get away with that.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 02-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Shooting 55% in the playoffs against the Celtics on the road? I mean sure it's possible....but it is really really really ******* unlikely. The Celtics are built for the playoffs. The Celtics have ridiculous big man depth to destroy the Knicks down low and stil ahve Rondo,Allen and Pierce
My point is this team goes on uncanny shooting streaks. And when they're hot, they're REALLY hot because Amare scores in bunches.

I'm just thinking back to that Bulls game in the beginning of the year. Sometimes it comes down to shooting and the Knicks go through stretches (more than a full game) where they simply can't miss.

Add in a weapon like Melo and it's scary to think how they could do if their secondary options get hot.

It's not my preferred style of basketball but with two of the best offensive players in the game on one side it might work better than it has.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
My point is this team goes on uncanny shooting streaks. And when they're hot, they're REALLY hot because Amare scores in bunches.

I'm just thinking back to that Bulls game in the beginning of the year. Sometimes it comes down to shooting and the Knicks go through stretches (more than a full game) where they simply can't miss.

Add in a weapon like Melo and it's scary to think how they could do if their secondary options get hot.

It's not my preferred style of basketball but with two of the best offensive players in the game on one side it might work better than it has.
With Amar'e, Melo and Gallo we'd have 3 guys who can get us tough buckets when everyone's cold, that's the key to bringing in Melo, it lets us light teams up even when we're not on fire, while we'd still have the guns to get super hot.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Amar'e lacks motivation to get blocks or boards but it's just he has never actually been taught the proper techniques to do so, too many years under D'Antoni, which makes him seem unmotivated. While he is actually just getting by on pure athleticism, one of the major reasons people feel he will decline quicker than most.

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If that proposed deal goes through, calling it highway robbery is the understatement of the year.

I can't imagine them accepting that trade. But hey, if they do, sweeeeet!

I was almost certain we'd lose Landry Fields in a trade for Melo. Still can, but it would be great if we can keep Fields.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Stat is one of the worst rebounding PFs I've ever seen. It's painful watching him try to box out. At first I thought his avg of 9 or so rebounds was good enough, but as the season went on, you get more and more frustrated with his glaring issues with rebounding. That's really his main weakness. The guy is a stud, he just needs to learn how to box out and better recognition on defense.

That's why we need a rebounding Center in the worst way.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
I don't think Amar'e lacks motivation to get blocks or boards but it's just he has never actually been taught the proper techniques to do so, too many years under D'Antoni. Which makes him seem unmotivated, while he is actually just getting by on pure athleticism, one of the major reasons people feel he will decline quicker than most.
There's probably some truth to that, but there's too many plays where Amar'e just has sit back and watch because he's too tired, in foul trouble or just plain not entirely focused. There's some series where he's clearly focused and dialed in on D where he'll pound away a few blocks and even put in some solid man D by making a guy actually put in work to get off a difficult shot. He's anchored our D through some really good stretches it's just sporadic.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
We'd be looking at Gallo/Melo-Amar'e-Mozgov/Turiaf when we have to go big, which is better than the sixers or pacers, Bulls without Noah and not much worse than Miami. If we're going small yeah we'll get scored on, but we'd have the ability to match up if we had to with Turiaf and Mozzie's recent play. Amar'e shown he can be a factor as a shot blocker when he wants to, although that's not often in right now, Melo has played good D in the playoffs before as well and Gallo's our best perimeter defender, well him or Landry Fields although Gallo's a little better for now.

We're clearly not going be the Celtics, but if our O is as good as it would be we wouldn't need to be dominant defensively we'd just need to be able to come up with key stops which we'd be able to do with that group, especially if we can wear down the opposition from having to try and contain our D.

Melo made Kobe put in work, I think he can do the same against D-wade or Ray Allen for a quarter a game. Mozzie's not great, but he is a good defender now that he's not a walking foul/fumble. His man D needs a lot of work since he's used to rushing out the perimeter, but he's a good shot blocker. Good perimeter D and shotblocking should be enough with that O to at least legitimately contend. We'd still get beat up inside sometimes but so few teams run their O through the paint that we could be able to get away with that.
Bulls are getting Noah back in like a week, and well before playoffs, so don't know what your point there was.

Gallo playing PF on Boozer would be incredible. I don't know who was on him in the last game vs. the Knicks, but he went for 26 and 19. And that was with Kurt Thomas as the other post presence being defended by STAT probably. With Noah, the Knicks inside D would get eaten alive.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Stat is one of the worst rebounding PFs I've ever seen. It's painful watching him try to box out. At first I thought his avg of 9 or so rebounds was good enough, but as the season went on, you get more and more frustrated with his glaring issues with rebounding. That's really his main weakness. The guy is a stud, he just needs to learn how to box out and better recognition on defense.

That's why we need a rebounding Center in the worst way.
*knock on wood* Mozzie's been blowing me away with how he's been attacking the boards since he's gotten back into the rotation. He's not just boxing out, he's boxing out and then really going after the ball well.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Amare can play D when he wants. The guy just doesnt like doing it all the time. He saves his energy.

But when the game gets tight and he needs to play defense, he plays it and usually plays it well. He is incapable of putting together a complete game on defense though, he just doesn't want to play it all the time.

Especially when he gets in foul trouble early.

I feel like a good defensive coach can mold him into a good defender. But perhaps its too late in his career for that to happen. Who knows.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Amare can play D when he wants. The guy just doesnt like doing it all the time. He saves his energy.

But when the game gets tight and he needs to play defense, he plays it and usually plays it well. He is incapable of putting together a complete game on defense though, he just doesn't want to play it all the time.

Especially when he gets in foul trouble early.

I feel like a good defensive coach can mold him into a good defender. But perhaps its too late in his career for that to happen. Who knows.

I've really always thought this about Amare, and in fact I still think he is a raw basketball player. However, when you play basically your entire career under D'Antoni, not much is going to be developed fundamentally in his style of play.

I think Amare could be sexy if Thibs was coaching him on D. He's already got a great shot blocking instinct, he just lacks fundamentals.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Bulls are getting Noah back in like a week, and well before playoffs, so don't know what your point there was.

Gallo playing PF on Boozer would be incredible. I don't know who was on him in the last game vs. the Knicks, but he went for 26 and 19. And that was with Kurt Thomas as the other post presence being defended by STAT probably. With Noah, the Knicks inside D would get eaten alive.
They beat the Bulls that night though. So it really doesn't mean much.

And getting Melo is a much bigger upgrade than getting Noah back.

Truth be told, I think the Knicks can take the Bulls even without Melo.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
[/b]

I've really always thought this about Amare, and in fact I still think he is a raw basketball player. However, when you play basically your entire career under D'Antoni, not much is going to be developed fundamentally in his style of play.

I think Amare could be sexy if Thibs was coaching him on D. He's already got a great shot blocking instinct, he just lacks fundamentals.
I personally despise D'Antoni's brand of basketball. I don't believe in it.

One nice thing about Stoudemire is his willingness to improve. He's a hard worker, so perhaps under the right coach he can work on his defense.

But unfortunately for us, I don't think D'Antoni is getting fired any time soon.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Wasn't sure if he was gone for the season or not, been too long since his injury for me to remember, which is why I wasn't sure and hedged my comment.

Gallo's not ready to play PF, but he's a good defender at the 3, which is why I think Melo would play the 4 if we're going small. And yes if we're playing small, teams can beat up our D by going big.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
They beat the Bulls that night. What's your point?

And getting Melo is a much bigger upgrade than getting Noah back.

Truth be told, I think the Knicks can take the Bulls even without Melo.
Oh, I'm not saying anything about the outcome.

Just that A. It was pointless to say the Knicks would have a better frontcourt than the Bulls without Noah and B. that the with a healthy Noah and Boozer, they could probably combine for at least 40 and 30 against the Knicks.

Who would win a series (if the Knickerbockers get Melo) is compeltely different and I wouldn't be willing to wager a guess until it's closer to the end of the year. It would be a very entertaining series, though.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

Just that A. It was pointless to say the Knicks would have a better frontcourt than the Bulls without Noah and B. that the with a healthy Noah and Boozer, they could probably combine for at least 40 and 30 against the Knicks.

Who would win a series (if the Knickerbockers get Melo) is compeltely different and I wouldn't be willing to wager a guess until it's closer to the end of the year. It would be a very entertaining series, though.
Knicks/Bulls would be HUGE for the NBA. I still hate the Bulls haha.

*sheds a tear*
Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Yeah, that's my dream matchup for the Knicks. It'd be a really hard fought close series plus it's my fav team v the city I live in, which is always fun.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Knicks/Bulls would be HUGE for the NBA. I still hate the Bulls haha.

*sheds a tear*
God, has it really been that long since the epic 90s games? It was like every single year they faced eachother in the post season. It didn't matter who was seeded where, they managed to ALWAYS face eachother at some point.

There were a couple years where the Heat tried to sneak in all like, "Hai guyz, we can haz rivalry 2?" But the Bulls and Knicks would just kick them in the balls and tell them to sit back down with the rest of the little kids.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
God, has it really been that long since the epic 90s games? It was like every single year they faced eachother in the post season. It didn't matter who was seeded where, they managed to ALWAYS face eachother at some point.

There were a couple years where the Heat tried to sneak in all like, "Hai guyz, we can haz rivalry 2?" But the Bulls and Knicks would just kick them in the balls and tell them to sit back down with the rest of the little kids.
Haha, that's so true.

It was so frustrating as a Knicks fan, bc we basically knew the winner of that series would most likely win the title that year, and we just kept losing! Aaaaaah!

I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the infamous Charles Smith game 6 layup series. I still haven't recovered from that. I don't think I ever will.

We need that rivalry back. That was such an epic rivalry. The NBA misses those kind of rivalries. That's why it sucks so much for the past decade. No real rivalries.

Nothing like Knicks/Bulls at least.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Why God? Why? Why did you do that to me? And WHY DIDN'T YOU DUNK IT SMITH? I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

Oh and thanks refs for calling a foul. It's not like the Bulls raped him under the hoop or anything.

For those that are too young to remember that, that was game 6. If we won that game, we go to the Finals and we would most likely win the championship.

Instead, that happens. Then we lose game 7 in Chicago.

I was 10 years old when that happened. I still remember the next day in school, with all the front runner Bulls fans laughing and all the Knicks fans moping.

We all fought during recess.

I hate the Bulls. Always have. Always will.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Why God? Why? Why did you do that to me? And WHY DIDN'T YOU DUNK IT SMITH? I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

Oh and thanks refs for calling a foul. It's not like the Bulls raped him under the hoop or anything.

For those that are too young to remember that, that was game 6. If we won that game, we go to the Finals and we would most likely win the championship.

Instead, that happens. Then we lose game 7 in Chicago.

I was 10 years old when that happened. I still remember the next day in school, with all the front runner Bulls fans laughing and all the Knicks fans moping.

We all fought during recess.

I hate the Bulls. Always have. Always will.
I have a cassette of that season for the Bulls somewhere where that call is on it. Winner!

By Cassette I mean tape that I could put in my walkman going to school.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Last edited by dabears10 : 02-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Poor Patrick Ewing.

The man never had any help. And when he did, he was too old.

I always felt that if we just got Ewing another guy in his prime, just ONE guy, we would've won at least 1 championship.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's way too much Knicks talk going on here.

So, how 'bout those Kings!