Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Nice post. When comparing a player you also need to look at intangibles. Rose doesn't come close to AI, Starbury or Stevie Franchise in that regard.

Assuming Derrick stays healthy he will be an elite player for a long time because of his work ethic. He does compare physically to Francis and Marbury, but mentally they are completely different players.

Derrick is already talking about trying to develop a post game this offseason to add to his offensive repertoire. ******* unreal.
Not to compare them in abilities or to say who is better, but if true, does anyone realize how long it took for Jordan or even Kobe to decide they needed to work on their post game?

Hell, Lebron still hasn't done it, despite everyone and their mother knowing that he would dominate if he barely worked on it...

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question for the board;

I'm not a huge stats guy, but I had an idea about changing FG% a little bit. I know TS% measures free throws and gives more credit to 3 pointers, but I also like to use true shooting percentage because it gives some semblance to scoring numbers.

When a player draws a foul and goes to the line it's certain that those two shots won't count toward his shooting percentage. But why? Why couldn't you add a made field goal to two made free throws (or 3 if the player is fouled behind the line)? After all if you make them it's just as if you hit a shot.

The reason I ask is because Derrick had a game vs Atlanta where he scored 42 points, but shot 11-27. The field goal percentage looks bad until you see that he got to he line 16 times and made 15 of them. While he didn't shoot well he found others ways to score, but it wasn't reflected in the box score. Add my change to his stat line and he goes to 18 of 34.

In short what I'd like to see is this: Derrick is shooting 4 of 9. He gets to the line and makes both free throws. His shooting is now 5 of 10.

Even though stats aren't the end all be all in basketball I do believe they have a place and I'd like to see this reflected in shooting percentage.

I know this is pretty petty and there are countless other changes that could be made to stats, but this would be fairly simple to do. I also understand that these are uncontested shots so they're easier to make.

Or you could add a field goal attempt no matter what happens if it's a 2+ shot foul. The player gets a field goal made if he makes all of them.

It's just a thought and it probably could use some tweaking, but I think we should reward and punish players at the free throw line a little bit more in their stats.

Also, what stat/rule changes would you like to see?

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Not to compare them in abilities or to say who is better, but if true, does anyone realize how long it took for Jordan or even Kobe to decide they needed to work on their post game?

Hell, Lebron still hasn't done it, despite everyone and their mother knowing that he would dominate if he barely worked on it...
"He has stated he wants to develop a post game in the offseason."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...g-the-mvp-race

Not the most reliable of sites, but I couldn't find a link with Derrick saying it. I do remember reading about it a couple months ago though.

You said a while back that the NBA should **** their pants when he stops being Mr. Nice Guy. That time is coming pretty soon. He may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but he seems to have that 'it' factor. He strikes me as a guy who will never be satisfied with his accomplishments. I know talk is cheap and he's saying all the right things, but if there's one thing I've learned through watching him for 3 years it's to never doubt what he says or guarantees.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Question for the board;

I'm not a huge stats guy, but I had an idea about changing FG% a little bit. I know TS% measures free throws and gives more credit to 3 pointers, but I also like to use true shooting percentage because it gives some semblance to scoring numbers.

When a player draws a foul and goes to the line it's certain that those two shots won't count toward his shooting percentage. But why? Why couldn't you add a made field goal to two made free throws (or 3 if the player is fouled behind the line)? After all if you make them it's just as if you hit a shot.

The reason I ask is because Derrick had a game vs Atlanta where he scored 42 points, but shot 11-27. The field goal percentage looks bad until you see that he got to he line 16 times and made 15 of them. While he didn't shoot well he found others ways to score, but it wasn't reflected in the box score. Add my change to his stat line and he goes to 18 of 34.

In short what I'd like to see is this: Derrick is shooting 4 of 9. He gets to the line and makes both free throws. His shooting is now 5 of 10.

Even though stats aren't the end all be all in basketball I do believe they have a place and I'd like to see this reflected in shooting percentage.

I know this is pretty petty and there are countless other changes that could be made to stats, but this would be fairly simple to do. I also understand that these are uncontested shots so they're easier to make.

Or you could add a field goal attempt no matter what happens if it's a 2+ shot foul. The player gets a field goal made if he makes all of them.

It's just a thought and it probably could use some tweaking, but I think we should reward and punish players at the free throw line a little bit more in their stats.

Also, what stat/rule changes would you like to see?
That's like asking baseball to quit using batting average entirely and only use OBP. I am all for advanced statistics--in basketball, baseball, football, wherever--but there's still value in the more dated stats. Sure, FG% as it is fails to tell the whole story, but that doesn't mean you get rid of it, you just need to take it into consideration with other stats.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
That's like asking baseball to quit using batting average entirely and only use OBP. I am all for advanced statistics--in basketball, baseball, football, wherever--but there's still value in the more dated stats. Sure, FG% as it is fails to tell the whole story, but that doesn't mean you get rid of it, you just need to take it into consideration with other stats.
That's a good point. TS% is out there, but it's hard to find. It was a shot in the dark to be honest, but I think when looking at a players' box score you need to look at the entire picture and that's where this came into play.

TS% and adjusted +/- aren't readily available unless you search for them.

Quote:
Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you really need your point guard to be learning how to post up though?

He could be putting his efforts into refining his other abilities instead.

It's not like he's much bigger than the average point guard.

It's like a center all of a sudden dedicating himself to shooting threes. If he's not an already natural shooter, there's really no point.

Last edited by soybean : 03-31-2011 at 11:27 PM.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post

It's like a center all of a sudden dedicating himself to shooting threes. If he's not an already natural shooter, there's really no point.
No you don't need him too, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't work on it. He has a size and strength advantage on the majority of players who guard him. It's a mismatch and he has the explosiveness to either jump over or go around his defender. Plus his ability to pass out of a double team would be a weapon. He's taken his defender to the post 4 or 5 times this year and each time he was able to get to the paint.

It should also be noted that he has a floater in his arsenal that could be used as his jump hook.

So to answer your question; is it really needed? No, but it definitely makes him more dangerous and versatile.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate Matt Barnes with a passion.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Let's be honest here. It's not like the only thing Rose is gonna work on in the offseason is posting up...

He's stated that last 2 years he wanted to first improve his jumper, then his 3 point shot. He's done both, as well as improve the rest of his game. It's not like he's wasting all his time on one thing...

I also expect his defense to take a big leap next year after an off season with Thibs.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
I hate Matt Barnes with a passion.
I hated him when he was in Orlando, but he has definitely grown on me in LA. I love anyone who plays their ass off, and does it with some attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heat start the 3rd on a 25-1 run against the wolves.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Heat start the 3rd on a 25-1 run against the wolves.
Good, thank God. Hopefully LeBron went into halftime like dudes: I have more talent than this God awful team in my headband. WTF are we doing down 1?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweetness, I think PPP might be a stat that kind of accurately gets across what you're trying to get at with the shooting percentages above. I mean in that case it definitely gives weight to three's, but FT's can be taken into account and it'll give you a feel for how effectively someone scores the basketball on a given possession.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loving the attitude that the Lake show is playing with right now, pretty scary team.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

no posts for the last 4 days????

is everyone ok? or is it just because its baseball season now? lol

Quote:
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depression (0-4)... =(

Celts looked good agains the Sixers so that's good.
Rondo needs to sharpen up on D.
Allows too many quick pg to blow by him to the basket

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ed Davis having a mammoth night!

They did play NY!
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow talk about superstar treatment... Andrew Bogut went straight up.

Bucks up 4 with 26 seconds left. Why do I feel like Lebron is going to get a five point play thanks to the refs?

Last edited by soybean : 04-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordan Crawford putting up 25 shots a game for Washington is getting ridiculous.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

some interesting tid bits:

Grant Hill has played 3 consecutive complete seasons

Chris Paul only missed 2 games so far this season due to injuries.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Lakers started off FAST. lol

Quote:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

why does bynum keep punking udoh? If I wasn't a laker fan I would hate Bynum.

but since I am, I love him :D

The Lakers's Defense sucks. They can't rely on their offense forever.

Last edited by soybean : 04-06-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just wish Golden State had fans so they could chant "Second Place"
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Orakpowned
Rookie

Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.Orakpowned could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
why does bynum keep punking udoh? If I wasn't a laker fan I would hate Bynum.

but since I am, I love him :D

The Lakers's Defense sucks. They can't rely on their offense forever.
They've given up less than 100 points in 17 games since the All-Star game; no they don't. Their offense hasn't been as fluid past three games. Can't make shots.
Orakpowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I just wish Golden State had fans so they could chant "Second Place"
????? Check the attendence for last 5 years with Warriors and they are a borderline top 10 team. Which is remarkable for a team that has had 2 playoff apperences in the last 18 seasons. Best fanbase in the bay area.

Love the Warriors beating the Lakers but it is another meaningless April win by a franchise that loves to do it when they have been knocked out of the playoff race months ago. Good thing is it gives Bob Fitzgerald (Warriors announcer) something to shill about for the final few games in attempt to sell season tickets. /Bitter Warriors fan is bitter.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote