Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drummond now has me debating dropping Valanciunas for him in fantasy.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I don't care that it's a meaningless game, Byron Mullens took 25 shots tonight and I can't stop laughing.
8-25, 16 pts, 19 rebs. Meh.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't care that it's a meaningless game, Byron Mullens took 25 shots tonight and I can't stop laughing.
I find the delusion that Byron Mullens is a good shooter because he made a few shots (he is awful at it, for what it's worth) amusing. He's pretty terrible at everything, although his rebounding appears to have gotten a tiny bit better. Still can't defend or shoot or pass or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Drummond doesn't look to be as raw as everyone said he was. He's also faster than I expected. I remember reading about how he's got very good speed, but it's just weird seeing someone his size get up the court that quick. I've also noticed he has good body control.. He seems to be pretty good at being able to adjust in the air to avoid a defender (37 seconds into the video)

Drummond <3333333333

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never got the way NBA teams draft. It's clearly all about upside, but then guys like Drummond and Cousins slip way farther than they should.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Cousins, but Drummond was really, really basketbawful at UConn.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He wasn't that bad. He made a pretty big defensive impact.

That entire team was a mess last year.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the upside thing though. Guys as big as Drummond who move like he can don't grow on trees. If he pans out then there's very few guys like him in the NBA and you have a legit superstar, which is what the league's all about. Hitting singles in the draft doesn't really do anything. Have to swing for the fences.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
He wasn't that bad. He made a pretty big defensive impact.

That entire team was a mess last year.
Eh....for a guy who was being talked about for the #1 pick preseason, he was awful. Top freshman don't have much trouble ripping it up. I agree he was decent and obviously the potential is there, but I wouldn't have blamed anyone for staying away from him in the top 5. Cousins was a much different story.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
That's the upside thing though. Guys as big as Drummond who move like he can don't grow on trees. If he pans out then there's very few guys like him in the NBA and you have a legit superstar, which is what the league's all about. Hitting singles in the draft doesn't really do anything. Have to swing for the fences.
That's also how you wind up drafting guys like Hasheem Thabeet in the top 3 or Joe Alexander in the top 10. You still have to be smart. If it's Drummond or a guy you think is a "single", then sure, but that's not really the case most of the time in the top 10. Also, a lot of guys considered "singles" have turned out pretty damn well too (Love, Harden)

Last edited by Rob S : 10-26-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's because some teams like to do really weird things like draft Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe. Or they draft for need. It's a strange thing.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
That's also how you wind up drafting guys like Hasheem Thabeet in the top 3 or Joe Alexander in the top 10. You still have to be smart. If it's Drummond or a guy you think is a "single", then sure, but that's not really the case most of the time in the top 10. Also, a lot of guys considered "singles" have turned out pretty damn well too (Love, Harden)
I dunno, Love and Harden were thought to be just okay guys but tested out way better athletically than people thought. The upside was pretty clearly there. And Thabeet was just tall and Alexander was a tweener. It depends on a case by case basis. I'm thinking more guys like Evan Turner. Not a great example at the top of the draft this year, but I thought PJIII fell way too far.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jae Crowder gave me high hopes this pre season.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:09 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PJ3 is a guy who's talent fell wayyyyy to far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suns really don't look so horrible

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I dunno, Love and Harden were thought to be just okay guys but tested out way better athletically than people thought. The upside was pretty clearly there. And Thabeet was just tall and Alexander was a tweener. It depends on a case by case basis. I'm thinking more guys like Evan Turner. Not a great example at the top of the draft this year, but I thought PJIII fell way too far.
PJ III unquestionably fell way to far. Outside of the lottery, it's pretty much a crapshoot anyway so gambling on talent is the way to go. I generally agree with you that talent wins out, but Drummond looked nothing like the player people thought he was going to be at UCONN. He totally **** the bed and looked like a player that could be out of the league in 5 years/a defensive role player. It's not like he's Dwight Howard here.

Hell, based on what you're saying you'd take him over a guy like Kyrie who most people figured was just going to be a solid/dependable guy that maybe eeks out one ASG in a Mike Bibby like career. These solid, safe picks in the top 5 still have talent and are almost as likely to become superstars.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Drummond doesn't look to be as raw as everyone said he was. He's also faster than I expected. I remember reading about how he's got very good speed, but it's just weird seeing someone his size get up the court that quick. I've also noticed he has good body control.. He seems to be pretty good at being able to adjust in the air to avoid a defender (37 seconds into the video)

I really love what the Pistons have done in getting Monroe and now Drummond. I've been saying for a long time how I think that the Twin Towers approach is the best way to beat the Heat. Having 2 guys who are good scorers and defenders in the paint is a strong strategy to beating them. You guys have the best young tandem in the league in that regard. As they grow into the players they should become, the Pistons will be a damn good team in the future. Drummond has to fix his Free Throws to truly become dominant though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
PJ3 is a guy who's talent fell wayyyyy to far.
Meh, Sullinger falling as far as he did was worse. And Jae Crowder was more of a steal.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
PJ III unquestionably fell way to far. Outside of the lottery, it's pretty much a crapshoot anyway so gambling on talent is the way to go. I generally agree with you that talent wins out, but Drummond looked nothing like the player people thought he was going to be at UCONN. He totally **** the bed and looked like a player that could be out of the league in 5 years/a defensive role player. It's not like he's Dwight Howard here.

Hell, based on what you're saying you'd take him over a guy like Kyrie who most people figured was just going to be a solid/dependable guy that maybe eeks out one ASG in a Mike Bibby like career. These solid, safe picks in the top 5 still have talent and are almost as likely to become superstars.
The college game is not built for big men to succeed the same way it's built for guards/wings to succeed. The NBA on the other hand is all about the Big Man.

A lot of it has to do with the closer 3 point line. There is a lot less room to operate inside the 3 point line and zone defense is really effective. In the NBA there is more space opened up and it allows for more movement on the inside. It's also why you see Guards who have good isolation games better in the NBA than in college too. You really have to work hard in college to bust tight zone defense, but in the NBA where it's more spread out, guys with good handles and driving ability can take their game to a new level.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The college game is not built for big men to succeed the same way it's built for guards/wings to succeed. The NBA on the other hand is all about the Big Man.

A lot of it has to do with the closer 3 point line. There is a lot less room to operate inside the 3 point line and zone defense is really effective. In the NBA there is more space opened up and it allows for more movement on the inside. It's also why you see Guards who have good isolation games better in the NBA than in college too. You really have to work hard in college to bust tight zone defense, but in the NBA where it's more spread out, guys with good handles and driving ability can take their game to a new level.
I agree in theory, but plenty of big men have produced in college basketball. If you are good enough to be a top 3 pick, you should tear up the NCAA regardless of position. Look, I've been impressed with Drummond thus far too, but he was absolutely a massive disappointment in college. To suggest that he shouldn't have fallen in the draft because it's more difficult for big men to produce in college is ridiculous. Drummond was about as good as Hasheem Thabeet was his freshman year.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

You can't fully judge Drummond because UConn was not only in bad turnover and scandal, he came into camp extremely late and wasn't fully prepared for the season. He was definitely flawed, but he wasn't ready for the college game last season and it showed. Given the lack of talent in the draft (and not wanting to go for a guy like Crowder or Sullinger at 9), I was fine with it.

PJ3 is incredibly overrated though. Not as much as Austin Rivers, but still.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
You can't fully judge Drummond because UConn was not only in bad turnover and scandal, he came into camp extremely late and wasn't fully prepared for the season. He was definitely flawed, but he wasn't ready for the college game last season and it showed. Given the lack of talent in the draft (and not wanting to go for a guy like Crowder or Sullinger at 9), I was fine with it.

PJ3 is incredibly overrated though. Not as much as Austin Rivers, but still.
Oh, I get that and I liked the pick at 9. The way I was interpreting the previous posts by derza though, perhaps incorrectly, is that he would have taken Drummond in the top 3-5 because he was a big man with upside. I completely disagree with that.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edit-nevermind.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Meh, Sullinger falling as far as he did was worse. And Jae Crowder was more of a steal.
Sullinger was a much better college player no debating that...but Sullinger isn't going to get any better, he seems as though hes peaked and while he's serviceable and will be a solid player for the Celtics, PJ3 has all the tools to be an elite player...whether he lives up to that or not is the question.

IMO they both fell too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Suns really don't look so horrible
Its Preseason. Rockets looked good too with a 5-2 record but I still expect them to be a bottom 5 team this year.

BTW, I wish you guys didnt steal Dragic away from us :(
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rockets and Suns will both probably suck pretty hard. Rockets will be worse though.