Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because one is not a cheap shot at a person, it's just an argument against said person. Again, my cheap shots = what I did with BBD, where I take a cheap shot at the team he cheers for . A lot of other people's cheap shots (including you)= taking a below the belt cheap shot at the person. It's not a recipe for success, it's just douchebaggery.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Because one is not a cheap shot at a person, it's just an argument against said person. Again, my cheap shots = what I did with BBD, where I take a cheap shot at the team he cheers for . A lot of other people's cheap shots (including you)= taking a below the belt cheap shot at the person. It's not a recipe for success, it's just douchebaggery.
You telling me i know nothing because i disagree with you is just as much douchebaggery. You can't cry about it if you're gonna do it yourself.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
You telling me i know nothing because i disagree with you is just as much douchebaggery. You can't cry about it if you're gonna do it yourself.
I said you're blind, it's not like I said you know nothing because you're Mexican. Because that's just wrong...and I'm not racist...Mexican.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
and post defenders are generally just superior than perimeter defenders because of their impact.
I think this is a flawed assertion. Having a greater impact does not mean the same thing as being 'better' or 'superior'. It is true that post defenders are more impactful than perimeter defenders which is why they almost always give the DPOY to a big but it is more difficult and requires more ability to be an elite perimeter defender than to be a high level post defender. Maybe Marc Gasol was the most impactful defensive player this year but no one who watches basketball actually thinks he's a 'better' or a 'superior' to Tony Allen or LeBron. Revis was the best defender in football from 09-11 at a very challenging position and doesn't have a DPOY award to show for it because of perceived positional impact but that doesn't diminish his greatness. Perimeter defenders need to be much more athletic, have a lot more specific skills, need better awareness of court spacing and play a position that requires more effort play in-play out because there are far more opportunities for that player to be exposed.

So for you to dismiss a guy like Scottie because he was primary a perimeter player seems wrong in a discussion of who is the best defender. A guy like that has a more difficult role that required him to guard a wider range of players in a spot where there are more opportunities to be exposed and he played that role every bit as well if not better than the bigs you're bringing up and for some reason you're holding that against him.

Value and quality are not the same thing. Having more impact does not necessarily make one superior at what they do.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Fine fine I'll concede, but I'll stick to Big Ben being above him.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta love it

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

both teams were flopping and the refs were calling everything, i wish people would stop being biased

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
both teams were flopping and the refs were calling everything, i wish people would stop being biased
People see what they want to see depending on who they are rooting for or biased against. Wade made an ass out of himself, but they made the right call on that play so it didn't hurt anybody.

What I saw was the Heat woke up last night, and this series is over. Unlike last year, it didn't take going down 2-1 for them to wake up this time around.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me there are about 10 guys who should get consideration for the best defensive player of the last 30 years.

Perimeter wise, Pippen is the best bar none. Shouldn't be an argument there. The idea of Jordan being more reputation than ability might have been true post-return, but up until his first retirement he was amazing as well. Someone that no one talks about is Sidney Moncrief, who was a great defender for the Bucks in the 80s, but you're right about that, even being the best defender in the 80's isn't much to go on. LeBron is forcing his way into the conversation now as well with his great defense at numerous positions, though Paul George disagrees.

As far as post defenders go, there are several. The fact that Ewing has been ignored is ridiculous. For some reason he's seen as an offensive player by a lot of people because he had a nice fadeaway jumper, but id put him top 3 among post defenders in the last 30 years. Just trailing him are Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard (everyone hates him now, but he was a complete force on defense for years until he hurt his back), Dennis Rodman, and Dikembe Mutombo.

But the two that compete for the title of best are Hakeem and Wallace. To anyone scoffing at the idea of Brodeur's claim, you should really go watch how great of a defender Ben was during that 5-7 year run he had as an elite player. His play the year they won the title was insanely great, regular season and playoffs, and 100% deserves to be in the discussion.

Still, I have to give it to Hakeem, but not by much. My reasoning is pretty simple though, and oddly enough it doesn't come down to pure defensive ability. I have Hakeem first because he was just as good as Wallace on D while he also carried 100% of the workload for his team on offense for fifteen years. It can't be overstated how rare it is to see an elite two way player, because it takes SO much to dominate on one end that there's typically nothing left in the tank for them to do the same on the other. I know that doesn't truly factor into making him a better defender at the end of the day, but when it's as close between them as I think it is, it's good enough of a tie breaker for me.

Oh, and because of steals.

Quote:
Achieving 100 blocks and steals in the same season is a rare feat, as most guards don’t block 100 shots and most big men don’t get 100 steals. Jordan did it twice, Ewing did it twice, Shaq never did, Tim Duncan - never, Dwight Howard and LeBron James have never done it (probably the games two greatest athletes today) yet Hakeem did it 12 times. Additionally, as hard as it is to go for 100 and 100, The Dream is only player in league history to do 200 and 200 in the same season.
1-Hakeem, 2-Wallace, 3-Pippen, 4-Ewing, 5-Duncan

Last edited by comahan : 05-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.
comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wades done it his entire career though

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
Wades done it his entire career though

He got something.....in...his eye...man....

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what player hasnt in the last 10 years?

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
No Rodman is a travesty. He guarded Jordan and Shaq. JORDAN AND SHAQ!

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
what player hasnt in the last 10 years?
Never happens.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:

Last edited by BallerT1215 : 05-27-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodman is the best ever at being able to guard numerous positions at a very high level, and somehow no one could move him when they backed him down (I still don't know how), but I think hed fall around #7 for me overall. I consider him the greatest role player of all time by a fair margin though, if that helps!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Meh, everyone flops. It's annoying, but singling people out and continually beating a dead horse about it is far more annoying.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flopping is indeed part of the game and has been for some time. Its just the way it is.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
To me there are about 10 guys who should get consideration for the best defensive player of the last 30 years.

Perimeter wise, Pippen is the best bar none. Shouldn't be an argument there. The idea of Jordan being more reputation than ability might have been true post-return, but up until his first retirement he was amazing as well. Someone that no one talks about is Sidney Moncrief, who was a great defender for the Bucks in the 80s, but you're right about that, even being the best defender in the 80's isn't much to go on. LeBron is forcing his way into the conversation now as well with his great defense at numerous positions, though Paul George disagrees.

As far as post defenders go, there are several. The fact that Ewing has been ignored is ridiculous. For some reason he's seen as an offensive player by a lot of people because he had a nice fadeaway jumper, but id put him top 3 among post defenders in the last 30 years. Just trailing him are Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard (everyone hates him now, but he was a complete force on defense for years until he hurt his back), Dennis Rodman, and Dikembe Mutombo.

But the two that compete for the title of best are Hakeem and Wallace. To anyone scoffing at the idea of Brodeur's claim, you should really go watch how great of a defender Ben was during that 5-7 year run he had as an elite player. His play the year they won the title was insanely great, regular season and playoffs, and 100% deserves to be in the discussion.

Still, I have to give it to Hakeem, but not by much. My reasoning is pretty simple though, and oddly enough it doesn't come down to pure defensive ability. I have Hakeem first because he was just as good as Wallace on D while he also carried 100% of the workload for his team on offense for fifteen years. It can't be overstated how rare it is to see an elite two way player, because it takes SO much to dominate on one end that there's typically nothing left in the tank for them to do the same on the other. I know that doesn't truly factor into making him a better defender at the end of the day, but when it's as close between them as I think it is, it's good enough of a tie breaker for me.

Oh, and because of steals.

Ben Wallace did 100/100 every year he was in Detroit and even his first year in Chicago.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...wallabe01.html

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bobcats to hire Steve Clifford

I was hopeful the Bucks would choose him.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Ben Wallace did 100/100 every year he was in Detroit and even his first year in Chicago.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...wallabe01.html
Yea my bad on that one, I had written the post, then right as I hit reply, I edited in that stat which I remembered from an article I read. Didn't even check Wallace to see if he had done the same.

Just adds to the Wallace argument though. Dude was tremendous.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

The Spurs are undefeated in the finals...

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn. Can't say I saw that sweep coming. Spurs looked awesome throughout.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
No Rodman is a travesty. He guarded Jordan and Shaq. JORDAN AND SHAQ!
And Magic back in his Pistons days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Tracy McGrady took this team on his back to the Finals, just as expected.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Parker has been straight killing these playoffs / this year in general.