Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Paul a dork?
Yes 356115 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 356115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

jay cutler's #1 fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
A playmaker makes plays with the ball in his hands. Paul's not near as effective off the ball as Deron is. Deron runs his own sets and has a better understanding of X's and O's.

Deron's a better shooter, a better defender (Paul gambles in the passing lanes a lot, but he does have quick hands), Deron has a better assist/turnover ratio so I think he's a better decision maker, and he has better intangibles (although those are pretty tough to measure).

Stats wise Paul is a better player but Deron impacts the game in more ways than the box score. He's a very intelligent player, aka a floor general. Paul needs the ball in his hands to be most effective, Deron doesn't. Two different types of PG's. Deron is a very, very underrated player that definitely does not get the credit he deserves. Everyone drools over Paul and that's understandable but had Deron been healthy this year he would have had at least 20 and 11, his stats in the 2nd half of the season when he finally got healthy rivaled what Paul did this year.

It depends on what kind of offense you run, but both of those guys are elite PG's in this league and I would say when both are healthy it's 1A and 1B, with a slight edge to Paul at this point because of this season.
Wow, this post is just riddled with errors.

Paul is the better shooter. Stats back this up, both 3 point % and FG %.

Paul has the better assist-turnover ratio. He has more assists and less turnovers per game.

I don't see how the fact that Paul plays best with the ball in his hands hurts him. That's what PGs are supposed to do.
jay cutler's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
So what was LeBron's half court shot then? Didn't hear anyone say how lucky that was.
It's a bit different to bank it in from half court...

Wade just put himself in a poor position and took a bad shot which luckily hit the backboard at the right spot and went in. LeBron chucked up a buzzer beater from half court which was clearly a low percentage shot but what else was he supposed to do?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay cutler's #1 fan View Post
Wow, this post is just riddled with errors.

Paul is the better shooter. Stats back this up, both 3 point % and FG %.

Paul has the better assist-turnover ratio. He has more assists and less turnovers per game.

I don't see how the fact that Paul plays best with the ball in his hands hurts him. That's what PGs are supposed to do.
Paul is not a better shooter, period end of argument. Paul is probably better at getting to the rim but Deron is hands down a better outside shooter, his mid range game is what sets him apart. Deron is a more natural shooter than Paul is. How are you going to tell me my post is riddled with errors when you don't even understand the difference between a floor general and a playmaker?

I never said it hurt him that he's not as good with the ball in his hands, stop putting words in my mouth. I said Deron is better off the ball and with X's and O's, Paul is better when he is able to be a playmaker. Two completely different PG's that are elite in their own right. That's why I consider them to be pretty equal, and Deron usually beats Paul when they play head-to-head.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Last edited by sweetness34 : 04-23-2009 at 03:11 PM.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's a bit different to bank it in from half court...

Wade just put himself in a poor position and took a bad shot which luckily hit the backboard at the right spot and went in. LeBron chucked up a buzzer beater from half court which was clearly a low percentage shot but what else was he supposed to do?
It's different to bank it in from halfcourt? Meaning what? That LeBron aimed for the square on the run? Yea I don't buy that at all. Both were "lucky" but both have proven that they can hit those types of shots, that's why I don't think it's luck.

And what else was Wade supposed to do? Clock was running down, no one was really open and he was trying to get himself a shot. You're being a hypocrite right now. If Wade's shot was luck, so was LeBron's.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

And in regards to the assist/turnover department. Deron was not fully healthy until after the All-Star break, he had a 3.1 assist/turnover ratio, Paul had a 3.7 assist/turnover ratio. So I'll concede that argument because you really can't pick out when Deron started to play well and plug in the stats. But I do think that Deron is a better decision maker than Paul is, CP3 takes a lot more risks whereas Deron is more conservative.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's different to bank it in from halfcourt? Meaning what? That LeBron aimed for the square on the run? Yea I don't buy that at all. Both were "lucky" but both have proven that they can hit those types of shots, that's why I don't think it's luck.

And what else was Wade supposed to do? Clock was running down, no one was really open and he was trying to get himself a shot. You're being a hypocrite right now. If Wade's shot was luck, so was LeBron's.

There's a bit of a difference. Wade was bailed out by his luck. That was a ridiculously long fade away, after he got himself in that situation by dribbling the ball too much at the top of the key and not attacking or passing. LeBron James got the ball, ran up court, was moving toward the basket when he shot it and it fell. If he missed it, no big deal, that's a low percentage look. If he hit it, sweet. If Wade missed that shot, it's a bad play because he was being an idiot and dribbling the ball for no reason before forcing himself into a terrible terrible shot, and now giving the Hawks the chance to shrink the lead to 4 or 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
Paul is not a better shooter, period end of argument. Paul is probably better at getting to the rim but Deron is hands down a better outside shooter, his mid range game is what sets him apart. Deron is a more natural shooter than Paul is. How are you going to tell me my post is riddled with errors when you don't even understand the difference between a floor general and a playmaker?

Paul had 12apg and 4.5tpg, that's about a 2.5:1 assist/turnover ratio. Deron had 10.7apg and 3.35tpg, that's a 3:1 assist/turnover ratio. I think you need to check your math skills.

I never said it hurt him that he's not as good with the ball in his hands, stop putting words in my mouth. I said Deron is better off the ball and with X's and O's, Paul is better when he is able to be a playmaker. Two completely different PG's that are elite in their own right. That's why I consider them to be pretty equal, and Deron usually beats Paul when they play head-to-head.
Paul is clearly a better 3 point shooter. You can argue the midrange game, but regardless Paul is the better scorer.

Wowa, where are you getting your statistics from?

Chris Paul

Deron Williams

Paul's assist-turnover ratio is 3.72:1 whereas Williams' is 3.19:1.

The difference between a floor general and a playmaker? That makes no sense. Chris Paul is the consumate floor general. He runs his team as well as anybody in the league.

Paul is clearly the better of the two players. Williams is good, but he's not as good as Paul.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
There's a bit of a difference. Wade was bailed out by his luck. That was a ridiculously long fade away, after he got himself in that situation by dribbling the ball too much at the top of the key and not attacking or passing. LeBron James got the ball, ran up court, was moving toward the basket when he shot it and it fell. If he missed it, no big deal, that's a low percentage look. If he hit it, sweet. If Wade missed that shot, it's a bad play because he was being an idiot and dribbling the ball for no reason before forcing himself into a terrible terrible shot, and now giving the Hawks the chance to shrink the lead to 4 or 5.
I understand that, but both were lucky shots they were just different situations. And again Wade has hit those types of shots time after time after time. Was it bad shot selection? Sure it was. Did LeBron's shot have less risk? Sure it did. But again both of these guys have hit those types of shots on a regular basis.

You're bringing in a variable into this argument though, that's the thing. A fade away 3 pointer off glass and a half court runner off glass, both extremely hard to do and both requiring luck. That's my point.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:

I never said LeBron's wasn't lucky. I just said that Wade had the opportunity to do something other than chuck up a terrible off-balance shot that only went in because he was lucky. LeBron was just chucking up a prayer at the end of the quarter.

Look at how much time Wade had to produce a good shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HCNkDVC5o

He just dribbled around for like 5 seconds instead of trying to create a good shot. If he misses that, people are thinking "What were you up to Wade?". LeBron had no choice but to take his shot, so although it was lucky he had no other option but to rely on that low percentage shot.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Paul is clearly a better 3 point shooter. You can argue the midrange game, but regardless Paul is the better scorer.

Wowa, where are you getting your statistics from?

Chris Paul

Deron Williams

Paul's assist-turnover ratio is 3.72:1 whereas Williams' is 3.19:1.

The difference between a floor general and a playmaker? That makes no sense. Chris Paul is the consumate floor general. He runs his team as well as anybody in the league.

Paul is clearly the better of the two players. Williams is good, but he's not as good as Paul.
You're using one season to strengthen your argument, and a season in which Williams was not fully healthy until midway through. That's flawed. Deron is a better shooter, period. Paul has more ability to get to the rack.

I have to ask, have you actually seen Deron play? Because it's pretty obvious to me that you haven't or don't really understand how Deron plays. Chris Paul is not a floor general, he does not call his own plays and he does not move well off the ball. Deron does all of those things but is not the playmaker Paul is. How hard is that to understand? Two completely different players that are at the top of the league at their position.

And Paul is not clearly the better of the two players. He is better currently because of this season but it's a lot closer than you believe it is. Why does Deron have the upper hand when they go head to head? If Paul is so great why can't he solve Deron?

Paul is a stat stuffer/playmaker, Deron is a floor general/X's and O's.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
I never said LeBron's wasn't lucky. I just said that Wade had the opportunity to do something other than chuck up a terrible off-balance shot that only went in because he was lucky. LeBron was just chucking up a prayer at the end of the quarter.

Look at how much time Wade had to produce a good shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HCNkDVC5o

He just dribbled around for like 5 seconds instead of trying to create a good shot. If he misses that, people are thinking "What were you up to Wade?". LeBron had no choice but to take his shot, so although it was lucky he had no other option but to rely on that low percentage shot.
What other option did he have? No one was moving off the ball, it was a terrible screen...His team didn't really give him much of an option. It was poor shot selection but really watching that replay no one on his team gave him much of a choice, they just stood there and watched him. If it was an iso play for Wade then that's pretty stupid but Haslem came over for some sort of a screen and didn't even do anything. Had LeBron hit that shot everyone on this board would be creaming their pants over how awesome it was. If this was the first time Wade made a shot like that then I'd be in agreement with those who said he got really lucky. But just like with LeBron, Dwayne has a knack for knocking down those type of shots.

Big players make big shots in big games and that's what happened. There was some luck involved but those are the types of plays Wade makes on a regular basis.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh man. I can't believe you don't think you have a deep bench. Well I guess I can't argue with you if you don't see it. I hope the Bulls lose just for you. :)
Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I didn't mean disrespect in asking if you had seen Deron play but I'm just wondering because it's apparent that you don't see the difference between the type of player Paul is and the type of player Deron is.

Paul is most effective when he playmakes for his team. Deron can be effective even without the ball in getting his teammates involved, he has better court awareness.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
You're using one season to strengthen your argument, and a season in which Williams was not fully healthy until midway through. That's flawed. Deron is a better shooter, period. Paul has more ability to get to the rack.

I have to ask, have you actually seen Deron play? Because it's pretty obvious to me that you haven't or don't really understand how Deron plays. Chris Paul is not a floor general, he does not call his own plays and he does not move well off the ball. Deron does all of those things but is not the playmaker Paul is. How hard is that to understand? Two completely different players that are at the top of the league at their position.

And Paul is not clearly the better of the two players. He is better currently because of this season but it's a lot closer than you believe it is. Why does Deron have the upper hand when they go head to head? If Paul is so great why can't he solve Deron?

Paul is a stat stuffer/playmaker, Deron is a floor general/X's and O's.
Paul is clearly the better 3 point shooter at this point in time. You can argue for Williams' mid-range game, but that's it. Paul is the better overall scorer.

Your floor general argument is ridiculous. Just because Paul doesn't play much off the ball doesn't make him any less of a floor general. He sets up teammates and himself with the ball in his hands, like the majority of point guards in this league. Nobody has ever questioned Paul's ability to be a floor general and to lead his team.

So Paul is a better passer, rebounder, and scorer. Defensively, they are both good but match-up well versus different players.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
I didn't mean disrespect in asking if you had seen Deron play but I'm just wondering because it's apparent that you don't see the difference between the type of player Paul is and the type of player Deron is.

Paul is most effective when he playmakes for his team. Deron can be effective even without the ball in getting his teammates involved, he has better court awareness.
Williams also has better court awareness than Steve Nash in his prime since Nash primarily plays with the ball in his hands. Do you not understand that the fact that Paul is best with the ball in his bands doesn't make him any less of a playmaker for his teammates? Almost every elite PG in history played primarily with the ball in their hands, that's what the position is meant to do.

And I do understand they are different players, when did I ever indicate otherwise?

Last edited by jay cutler's #1 fan : 04-23-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
What other option did he have? No one was moving off the ball, it was a terrible screen...His team didn't really give him much of an option. It was poor shot selection but really watching that replay no one on his team gave him much of a choice, they just stood there and watched him. If it was an iso play for Wade then that's pretty stupid but Haslem came over for some sort of a screen and didn't even do anything. Had LeBron hit that shot everyone on this board would be creaming their pants over how awesome it was. If this was the first time Wade made a shot like that then I'd be in agreement with those who said he got really lucky. But just like with LeBron, Dwayne has a knack for knocking down those type of shots.

Big players make big shots in big games and that's what happened. There was some luck involved but those are the types of plays Wade makes on a regular basis.
He could have drove or done something other than literally take the worst possible shot he could. The strength of his game is certainly not fade away contested 4 point shots...

If he misses that people are complaining about how bad of a decision that was for Wade. That's why it was lucky for him because it saved him a lot of criticism. Nobody would have cared if LeBron missed that half-court shot.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Oh man. I can't believe you don't think you have a deep bench. Well I guess I can't argue with you if you don't see it. I hope the Bulls lose just for you. :)
How do we have a deep bench? I would love to hear it. Kirk's a good player and Brad is decent, but his defense is absolutely horrible and his decision making lately especially with his passing has been pretty bad as well. Offensively he's still a good player but he's not near what he was before and he relies a lot on his teammates to put him in position to do things.

But Tim Thomas? You've got to be kidding me. Lindsay Hunter and Linton Johnson? C'mon man. I think we have a decent bench but nothing special like you claim it to be and certainly not one of the best in the playoffs.

Portland, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Denver, Dallas, Utah, and Detroit have just as good if not better benches than we do. We go about 7 deep (I cannot stand Tim Thomas at all), I hardly call that a strong bench and Kirk's been non-existent in the first two games.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Williams also has better court awareness than Steve Nash in his prime since Nash primarily plays with the ball in his hands. Do you not understand that the fact that Paul is best with the ball in his bands doesn't make him any less of a playmaker for his teammates? Almost every elite PG in history played primarily with the ball in their hands, that's what the position is meant to do.

And I do understand they are different players, when did I ever indicate otherwise?
Paul is best with the ball in his hands, Deron moves better off the ball and has better court awareness. That's not a knock on either player. Those attributes are what make them the players they are, but they are two different point guards. Which is why to say that Paul is clearly the better player is an ignorant statement. Paul is better, I agree on that because of what he was able to do this year but Deron is right there with him. Paul's game is stat driven, Deron's is not.

And before this season, Deron was a 38% 3 point shooter, his injuries hampered him the first half of the season, which is why you take his stats with a grain of salt. And even being injured Chris Paul still doesn't beat Deron in 3 point percentage for their careers. Deron's career average (post injury) is better than Paul's best 3 point shooting season, check your stats big guy.

Chris Paul is a career 34.4% 3 point shooter, Deron is as 35.8% 3 point shooter. So how can you sit here and say that Paul is a better 3 point shooter? You're going off one season in which Deron was not healthy due to a bad ankle injury in the preseason (he had it against the Bulls at the United Center and had to be carried off the court).

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
Paul is best with the ball in his hands, Deron moves better off the ball and has better court awareness. That's not a knock on either player. Those attributes are what make them the players they are, but they are two different point guards. Which is why to say that Paul is clearly the better player is an ignorant statement. Paul is better, I agree on that because of what he was able to do this year but Deron is right there with him. Paul's game is stat driven, Deron's is not.

And before this season, Deron was a 38% 3 point shooter, his injuries hampered him the first half of the season, which is why you take his stats with a grain of salt. And even being injured Chris Paul still doesn't beat Deron in 3 point percentage for their careers. Deron's career average (post injury) is better than Paul's best 3 point shooting season, check your stats big guy.

Chris Paul is a career 34.4% 3 point shooter, Deron is as 35.8% 3 point shooter. So how can you sit here and say that Paul is a better 3 point shooter? You're going off one season in which Deron was not healthy due to a bad ankle injury in the preseason (he had it against the Bulls at the United Center and had to be carried off the court).
Because Paul has massively improved his jump shot since he entered the league...

His percentage this season is representative of where he is at as a shooter.

Williams' percentages are all over the place.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I understand that, but both were lucky shots they were just different situations. And again Wade has hit those types of shots time after time after time. Was it bad shot selection? Sure it was. Did LeBron's shot have less risk? Sure it did. But again both of these guys have hit those types of shots on a regular basis.

You're bringing in a variable into this argument though, that's the thing. A fade away 3 pointer off glass and a half court runner off glass, both extremely hard to do and both requiring luck. That's my point.
Yeah I agree they were both lucky. It's just Wade's luck was so much more impactful because it really put the game away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I agree Paul has massively improved his jump shot since he entered the league but it's still not as good as Deron's. Despite his numbers being all over the place sans injury Deron is shooting at close to 38% from 3 point land. He also takes more 3 point shots than Paul does as well which means his percentage will go up and down more. Paul averages less than 180 3's a season, Deron is at around 225 a season. So Deron shoots more 3's and has a higher 3 point percentage. Seems to me that Deron is the better shooter.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I will agree with you that Paul is a better scorer (albeit not by much) but he is not a better shooter. Deron is a pure shooter, Chris Paul really isn't. He had to work on his shot a ton to get it where it is now. Deron had an outside game coming out of the draft.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
jay cutler's #1 fan
Rookie

Quote:
He also takes more 3 point shots than Paul does as well which means his percentage will go up and down more.
You need to take stats class again....
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How do we have a deep bench? I would love to hear it. Kirk's a good player and Brad is decent, but his defense is absolutely horrible and his decision making lately especially with his passing has been pretty bad as well. Offensively he's still a good player but he's not near what he was before and he relies a lot on his teammates to put him in position to do things.

But Tim Thomas? You've got to be kidding me. Lindsay Hunter and Linton Johnson? C'mon man. I think we have a decent bench but nothing special like you claim it to be and certainly not one of the best in the playoffs.

Portland, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Denver, Dallas, Utah, and Detroit have just as good if not better benches than we do. We go about 7 deep (I cannot stand Tim Thomas at all), I hardly call that a strong bench and Kirk's been non-existent in the first two games.
Brad is decent? He adds a huge dimension to your team. And Kirk being non-existent doesn't discredit his talent. Lindsay Hunter is far better than some of the players other teams are rolling out as well. But in any case, let's review. There are 16 teams in the playoffs. Portland, Los Angeles, and Cleveland unquestionably have better benches. You named four other teams. Utah and Detroit do not have better benches than Chicago and Dallas and Denver are probably on par, Denver maybe even a little better. So at worst, that would put Chicago with the sixth best bench in the playoffs. I never said their bench was the best, but it is one of the better ones out there and miles ahead of Boston's unless the recently cleared to play Brian Scalabrine is a stud.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Brad is decent? He adds a huge dimension to your team. And Kirk being non-existent doesn't discredit his talent. Lindsay Hunter is far better than some of the players other teams are rolling out as well. But in any case, let's review. There are 16 teams in the playoffs. Portland, Los Angeles, and Cleveland unquestionably have better benches. You named four other teams. Utah and Detroit do not have better benches than Chicago and Dallas and Denver are probably on par, Denver maybe even a little better. So at worst, that would put Chicago with the sixth best bench in the playoffs. I never said their bench was the best, but it is one of the better ones out there and miles ahead of Boston's unless the recently cleared to play Brian Scalabrine is a stud.
Lindsay Hunter is a shadow of his former self, that's why he rarely gets any minutes. He is on the team for leadership purposes. If he was far better than what teams are rolling out right now he would be playing more. The only time we use him is if our guards get into foul trouble or if the game is a blow out.

Kirk is a good player, I have long been a supporter of his. He could be a starter for many teams in the NBA and he's a great asset off the bench.

Brad Miller has been a disappointment from the standpoint that he doesn't play any defense and his passing has been mediocre. Quite frankly he's not that much better than Drew Gooden. Used to be a very good player, now age is catching up with him. Brad is a decent player that needs to get his ass in gear, two out of 3 games he has been ******* horrid. For a veteran his play so far in the postseason has been extremely disappointing apart from Game 2.

And don't even get me started on Tim Thomas, he can't even hit a wide open jumper. He's pathetic, as he's showing right now.

Tonight's game should show you that Boston is still a better team than we are. We are way to inconsistent (mainly because our core guys are still very young players that haven't tasted the postseason). Pierce is the best player in this series, Rondo right now I would say is a better player than Rose, and Ray Allen is still an elite shooter. Couple that with Perkins and Davis who are every bit as good as what we have in the front court, the only thing we have on Boston is the bench, their starting 5 dominates ours and unless we can wear their team down we aren't winning this series.

But yea we should be winning this series.

Quote: