Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mr. Stillers latest Creation.. it's ALIVE!

Just looking over the games.. trying to focus in the issues.

Offseason:

Subtractions:

Alan Faneca, OG
Max Starks, OT/OG
Dan Kreider, FB
Brian St. Pierre, QB
Nick Eason, DL
Bob Ligashesky, ST. Coach

Signings:

Patrick Crayton, WR, Dallas

Trai Essex, RFA Tender of 2nd round

Chris Kemoeatu, RFA tender of 1st round

Randy Starks, DT/DE, Tennessee ~ 6'3 305

Tom Osborne, Special Teams/FB&H-Back Coach, ASU

Draft:

1) Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340 5.12

We need to work on OL and really the only OL worth picking in the first round in my opinion is a above all LG or a Franchise LT. With the protection problems, I think we need to add a future LT. I think doing this, while Marvel is still young enough, would allow Otah to slide to RT, allowing him to get acclimated and develop at the RT position before moving to LT in 2-3 years. All this time with Mocks we've been taking two tackles. I think Marvel has 3-6 years left in him and it would be a shame for us not to let him finish his Career as a Steeler. He's done solid as a LT, but I feel that he was a dominant RT and letting him slide over to RT, if he will re-sign and it will strengthen our bookends.

2) Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State ~ 6'4 318 5.19

Normally I pick Jeff Otah here. However I can't see Otah lasting this far. So I picked him in the first. However, we do need a dominant Interior OG. I think with a weak top crop I think some Juniors (Duke Robinson, Herman Johnson, Jeremy Perry) could come out and knock Schuening down. For teams looking for a pure guard, however, there may not be a better all-around, more reliable prospect in the country than Schuening. A starter in 37 consecutive games entering his senior season, Schuening has a classic build for the position and temperament scouts are looking for. Physical and athletic, Schuening is equally effective driving defenders off the line of scrimmage in the running game or mirroring rushers in pass protection. Not flashy, Schuening is the type who gets drafted a round later than a couple of the tackle hybrids, but ends up starting somewhere for a decade.

3) Titus Brown, DE/OLB, Mississippi State ~ 6'3 248 4.69

IMO you're looking at the SEC's best pass rusher. Some may say Quentin Groves, who is a pure speedrusher, and will run an insane 40 time. Some say Derrick Harvey, who is still great in his own right. However he still benefits from having a very talented team around him in my opinion. Titus Brown, the only returning starter from the 2006 season. Even on a defense devoid of talent he's been making plays. He's also been consistent the last two years. I don't think he has the bulk to play DE full-time. But I think he's seriously a more athletically gifted James Harrison. The kid has great burst off the snap. He has a great speed and strength ratio. I see him sitting behind James Harrison. Frankly though, if there was an injury to James Harrison, We'd have Clark Haggans on the Right side... and that is scary. Titus is a complete DE from what I've seen. Limited drops in coverage, but he does occasionally cover the flat. I think he replaces Haggans and is our #3 OLB.. right or left side. Eventually he'll be Woodleys full-time backup after we draft another OLB in 09.

4) Nick Hayden, LDE, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 315 5.13

Hayden is never going to be a Star. He may follow a similar career path of Aaron Smith. He's coming out of College bigger than Smith. He may crack the DL rotation his rookie season. I don't know how McBean is progressing, but John Mitchell knows how to pick DL. With Randy Starks(NT/SDE), Hayden (SDE/NT), Hoke (NT), Hampton (NT), Smith (SDE/NT), Keisel (RDE) and whoever wins between McBean and Kirschke... We should be able to field a dominant and powerful DL.

I See:
Aaron Smith ~ Casey Hampton ~ Brett Keisel
Nick Hayden ~ Chris Hoke ~ Travis Kirschke/McBean
Randy Starks ~ Randy Starks ~ Ryan McBean/Kirschke

5) Jeremy Leman, ILB, Illinois ~ 6'2 240 4.80

While not running a solid 40, Leman is a football player. I saw 2 Illinois games (OSU and PSU) and Leman is just a beast. I've been watching him the last few weeks, since Felch brough him up. I remember watching the PSU Game, they had Austin Scott was running off LT. Led by a FB, Scott had a good burst towards the left. Leman came flying up from the Mike spot to knock the LT and FB on their ass and assisted on the tackle. That play alone makes him draftworthy. I mean I know it takes more, but Leman is a consistent role player. I think he could potentially take Foote's position. He's got similar speed, but I think he's bigger, plays bigger and is more physical. He's got that Steeler look and demeanor.

6) Rudy Burgess, WR/KR/PR/CB, Arizona State ~ 5'10 190 4.38

This is purely a ST pick here. We bring in Osborne in from ASU and we treat him to someone he'd love to work with. His own Rudy Burgess. Is he a bit of a reach, sure. But Osborne has worked with this kid for 4 years and he's been doing great. Now bringing him in here may make Burgess even more dangerous. Because of this Burgess shouldn't skip a beat and this should upgrade our returns ten fold.

*7th traded for Allen Rossum

UDFA:

Bernard Morris, QB, Marshall ~ 6'4 220 4.76
Adrain Smith, RB, Bethel(TN) ~ 6'0 221 4.52
Mike Cox, FB, Georgia Tech ~ 6'0 254 4.78
Steve Johnson,WR, Kentucky ~ 6'2 205 4.47
Fernando Velasco, OG/C, Georgia ~ 6'3 335 5.28
Brian Stamper, RG/RT, Vanderbilt ~ 6'5 305 5.23
Carl Nicks, OT/OG, Nebraska ~ 6'5 330 5.15

Johny Dingle, RDE, West Virginia ~ 6'4 278 4.82
Curtis Johnson, ROLB, Clark-Atlanta ~ 6'3 245 4.62
Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman ~ 5'10 178 4.23
Joe Fields, S, Syracuse ~ 6' 210 4.49

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not bad...no sexy picks by any means but they all fill a need. I dont know much about Titus Brown...so i cant really comment on him...but i like the rest of the picks. I would also like to take a look at Kenny Moore (WR-Wake Forest)...the kid can do everything, recieve, block, play RB, play CB and return. Any player like that in the late rounds has got to be a steal...i think we could get him in round 6.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie

TheWood56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mr.Stiller, you're back. Good stuff. I thought you were banned permanently. Anyways, I really like your mock, though I usually do. I agree with Jakey, definately no sexy picks in there, though a really good mock with some really talented players. You've drafted some good football players that will fill some of our needs. One of the better Steelers mocks I've seen. Nice job.
TheWood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
DWilliams2IndyColts
Veteran

DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why would we need Patrick Crayton. I know he's great and Hines is getting old but he's still got some gas in the tank.

Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
Record: 7-3
DWilliams2IndyColts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliams2IndyColts View Post
Why would we need Patrick Crayton. I know he's great and Hines is getting old but he's still got some gas in the tank.
Patrick Crayton would come in and instantly become our slot receiver, which would push Nate Washington to #4. Also, by signing Crayton, that would allow us to possibly release Cedrick Wilson who's nothing special by any means. Personally, I'd really like to sign Crayton. We need more talent at the WR position IMO, and by signing Crayton, that instantly gives us more talent there. He's a really solid WR IMO. I'd also really like to sign him.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
DWilliams2IndyColts
Veteran

DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56 View Post
Patrick Crayton would come in and instantly become our slot receiver, which would push Nate Washington to #4. Also, by signing Crayton, that would allow us to possibly release Cedrick Wilson who's nothing special by any means. Personally, I'd really like to sign Crayton. We need more talent at the WR position IMO, and by signing Crayton, that instantly gives us more talent there. He's a really solid WR IMO. I'd also really like to sign him.
OK. I thought he was just using him as a replacement for Ward. I think he could move Santonio into the slot.

Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
Record: 7-3
DWilliams2IndyColts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie

Quote:
OK. I thought he was just using him as a replacement for Ward. I think he could move Santonio into the slot.
That's just how I took it anyways. Ward is getting on, though I think he has a couple of good years left in him. Maybe when Ward does start slowing down, we could shift him into the slot. About Santonio, he would make one beastly slot receiver, though he's been tremendous to say the least at #2 for us. He's really developed into a dangerous deep threat, though when he goes across the middle, he can take hits and still hang onto the ball. I tell you what, he's got some great hands. Anyways, what I'm saying is this, I don't know if I'd mess with Holmes with the way he's been playing for us this season. He'd definately be one great slot receiver, though he's been great at #2 for us. I just don't know if I'd want to mess with that.

Last edited by TheWood56 : 11-25-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He would move to the Y position and slide Ward to the Slot. The slot is the WR position with the most blocking by scheme. Crayton is a solid receiver and would make a great #2. Holmes at 1, Crayton at 2, Ward at 3, Washington at 4.. Reid at 5. then this would have Burgess as 6.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
4/7 sacks in NYJ, were coverage sacks. I don't think we can look to the draft for a solid receiver. I think we have too many needs to grab a top teir WR. We can sign Crayton.

The signing of Crayton doesn't signify the end of Ward. We want to run more 3 WR sets. Why not have 3 good WRs?

I think that will allow us to spread defenses out more. Plus Ward would stay a lot more fresh and injury free running out of the slot in the spread.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Crayton, and I actually have him on my fantasy team. However, he needs to be a little more consistant. Some weeks he disappears. I dont know if that's because you have TO across from him or he just doesn't play hard every week, but I still think he'd be a good addition.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dig the Nick Hayden pick. Where did u learn that he's 315 lbs? Every resource I've seen has him listed at 301 (which is probably better for a 3-4 DE than 315).

If J Lehman is there when we pick in the fifth round then we've hit the day two jackpot, but I don't see this happening.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleEd View Post
I dig the Nick Hayden pick. Where did u learn that he's 315 lbs? Every resource I've seen has him listed at 301 (which is probably better for a 3-4 DE than 315).

If J Lehman is there when we pick in the fifth round then we've hit the day two jackpot, but I don't see this happening.
I think it was his before the season weight. Like Chris Long was 280 but is really 260.

I think he's around 298-312. Which in any case, he's certainly athletic enough.

I think Leman falls because he's really only a 2 down thumper. He won't fit a lot of defenses that require a complete Mike. A lot of other prospects will dazzle with thier #'s.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id be down with that home schizzle.

Rofl. Anyway yea, getting crayton would be nice and I like those top two o line picks. I hate the o line.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote