Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC South Division Forum

NFC South Division Forum Discuss the NFC South

Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

dbtb135 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I don't know if I blame it on Trueblood, for letting a future HOFer get in his head, or our OL coach for not teaching the proper fundamentals. Trueblood didn't bend his knees well and thus he got smacked around.
Yeah, I'm sure having 10 years of experience on him and being world quicker was just an afterthought.
dbtb135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtb135 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure having 10 years of experience on him and being world quicker was just an afterthought.
Huh? Sometimes I don't understand your sarcasm.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Here is my new team. Comments welcome

QB: Drew Brees(it was tough between him and Garcia)
RB: Earnest Graham
WR: Joey Galloway
WR:Marques Colston
TE:They all suck, Crumpler I guess, but thats all based on name
LT:Jammal Brown
LG: Arron Sears
C: Jeff Faine
RG:Jahri Evans(im not sure if he plays left or right, but if he plays left replace him with sears and put Joseph at RG)
RT: Jeremy Trueblood

DE:Will Smith
DT:Javon Haye
DT:Rod Coleman
DE:John Abraham
WLB:Derrick Brooks
MLB: Barret Ruud
SLB: Michael Boley
CB: Deangelo Hall
CB:Ronde Barber
SS:Jermaine Phillips
FS: Tanard Jackson

Ouch no panthers, thats a little weird but i dont no where iwould fit one in, based on this years play only
How about at WR, RT at the very least.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's been a good year since I've made a list like this, so I'll do what I can. Interesting looking back at these older lists. I'll try my best to give some reasoning.

QB: Drew Brees
ALT: Matt Ryan

Drew Brees finished just 16 yards shy of Dan Marino's single season passing record, and is a legit option for OPOY. Alot of times this year he was forced to carry this offense and although his team missed the playoffs hes easily the #1 choice. I selected Matt Ryan as the alternate because of what he was able to accomplish as a rookie, and on a team expected to have a dismal season. He is 2nd only to Peyton Manning in pass yardage as a rookie.

RB: Michael Turner
ALT: DeAngelo Williams

Michael Turner ended up being the biggest free agent acquisition of the year, and has a shot, albeit a small one, at both the MVP and OPOY. With an offense that struggled at just about everything a year earlier, he ran for 1699 yards and 17 TDs. DeAngelo Williams did not impress me in his 2 games against the Falcons, but after that the man proved to be a horse. In his breakout game against Tampa Bay he broke tackles left and right, and in total he ran for an astounding 20 TDs and just above 1500 yards.

FB: Ovie Mughelli
ALT: Mike Karney

Not gonna lie I'm basing this one off of what I have heard and seen. Mughelli was a huge component in paving way for Michael Turner's success. Karney is a close second but IMO is not quite the blocker Ovie is.

WR: Steve Smith
WR: Roddy White
ALT: Antonio Bryant/Marques Colston (too close to choose)

Steve Smith is absolutely clutch and is proving that his past season was a fluke, having to play without his bud Delhomme. When the ball is in the
air, 9 times out of 10 the small but agile Smith will come down with it. After him I have Roddy White, who now has had his 2nd huge year in a row. Following 2 seasons in the NFL, there was alot of doubt about White's ability to hold onto the football, but he has proved his critics wrong now. The alternates were Bryant and Colston. Bryant ended this year in a huge way, he just has to avoid off the field problems with coaches and such and he is a stud. Colston again in his 3rd year did well, but this is a great division for receivers.

TE: Don't Know who to pick :(

OT: Jammal Brown
OG: Davin Joseph
OC: Jeff Faine
OG: Jahri Evans
OT: Jordan Gross
ALTs: Arron Sears, G
Harvey Dahl, G/T

Offensive line is tough to choose because nobody really pays that much attention to them. I'm going off of what I've heard from announcers during a game and forum members mostly here.

DE: Julius Peppers
DE: John Abraham

Defense is tough for me to choose because I'm more of an offensive guy, but this is a position I know I've got right. Julius Peppers had a great rebound year, a career year in sacks and a key part to his team's playoff run. Abraham lead all Defensive End's in sacks with 16.5 and is a one man wrecking crew on the D-Line.

DT: Maake Kemoeatu
DT: Jonathan Babineaux

Tough for me to choose here, I know Maake is a big boy and his huge for stopping to run to help Carolina. Babineaux is clutch and gets a ton of TFL and sacks.

WLB: Derrick Brooks
MLB: Barrett Rudd
SLB: Jon Beason (99% sure he mans the middle but I wanted to make some room for him and I know he played on the outside earlier in his career)

Brooks is more name recognition than anything else, if there is somebody else, let me know. I wanted to include Vilma in this list because he is a Miami boy and everything but he didn't play the same this year coming off of the injury. From what I've heard Rudd is a stud and from the little I've seen of him this looks true, so I've got him in the middle. Jon Beason is a freak and will be a top linebacker for years, he shut down Turner in the first game against ATL earlier this season, I'm not sure if he made the Pro Bowl, but if he didn't he deserved it.

CB: Chris Gamble
CB: Phil Buchanon
ALT: Ken Lucas

Gamble was spectacular this year for the Panthers, earning a nice contract extension and the respect of fans across the league. After that it was tough for me to choose, Buchanon has vastly improved from earlier in his career, and from what I understand had a solid season. Lucas struggled this year, but what he has done in his career can't be denied and I expect him to rebound.

FS: Charles Godfrey
SS: Tanard Jackson

Another tough decision to make, I know Jackson had performed last year and although he didn't quite live up to those standards, he still had a solid season. Godfrey looked like a ballhawk from what I've seen which is why I chose him.

K: John Kasay
P: Michael Koenen
KR: Jerious Norwood
PR: Reggie Bush
ALT: Clifton Smith

Kasay had a great year and was a legit choice for the pro bowl. Koenen because the Falcons were just a couple yards shy of eclipsing the Bills' record in the '90s of yards allowed by a punt returner. Norwood has been his usual consistent self as a returner, and showed up with a big return just recently. Bush was unstoppable pre-injury as a PR, and Smith lead the league at one point when it came to Yards per Return.

Special Mention: Rhys Lloyd
The god of the Kickoff

Total players by each team:

Carolina Panthers - 11
Atlanta Falcons - 9
Tampa Bay Bucs - 8
New Orleans Saints - 6
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, in regards to the bucs picks.

Clifton Smith should definately be the KR/PR who was the NFC's representitave to the pro bowl and was amazing all year.

Tanard Jackson is a FS, and should be starting there. At SS you should have probably put Chris Harris or Flip(probably harris).

Buchanon has not been great but at least you did not put ronde

Our D-line sucked so no one there

Donald Penn should have definately made it over Brown.

Bryant was much better than colston this year, he was the only offensive threat on the bucs.

Side note: Deangelo>Turner

Good write up though
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chucky got it right pretty much. I think Tanard should be FS and Phillips should be SS. He was great when he was healthy and losing him really hurt our run D.

Clifton Smith should be the returner. He led the league, didn't he?

Phillip Buchanon is awful. Find someone else please. No, not Ronde either.

Donald Penn was the best lineman on our team. Gaines beat Jammal Brown at least a couple times when we played them, and I don't Gaines finished with more than like 7 sacks this year. Penn has been a rock all year in the pass game. Faine and Joseph are solid but Penn has been a standout pass protector.

It's hard to argue with Smith and White, but Bryant is ridiculously good. His production and impact in our gimpy offense with mediocre QB play cannot be understated. If Garcia could throw a deep ball he'd be all over the highlight reels with TD bombs, aside from his insanely difficult catches in traffic/1 handed grabs. White is good and productive, but I'd argue that Bryant would be much more productive for Atlanta. He's better than White in every aspect. Colston is good but he benefits from Brees and that spread offense.

Also, Brooks had a good year but he's been hurt a lot which affected his play. He made the Pro Bowl on name recognition only.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Chucky got it right pretty much. I think Tanard should be FS and Phillips should be SS. He was great when he was healthy and losing him really hurt our run D.

Clifton Smith should be the returner. He led the league, didn't he?

Phillip Buchanon is awful. Find someone else please. No, not Ronde either.

Donald Penn was the best lineman on our team. Gaines beat Jammal Brown at least a couple times when we played them, and I don't Gaines finished with more than like 7 sacks this year. Penn has been a rock all year in the pass game. Faine and Joseph are solid but Penn has been a standout pass protector.

It's hard to argue with Smith and White, but Bryant is ridiculously good. His production and impact in our gimpy offense with mediocre QB play cannot be understated. If Garcia could throw a deep ball he'd be all over the highlight reels with TD bombs, aside from his insanely difficult catches in traffic/1 handed grabs. White is good and productive, but I'd argue that Bryant would be much more productive for Atlanta. He's better than White in every aspect. Colston is good but he benefits from Brees and that spread offense.

Also, Brooks had a good year but he's been hurt a lot which affected his play. He made the Pro Bowl on name recognition only.
Riiiiight. Oh, the homer you are.

The only thing Bryant has over White is his hands. White is stronger, more athletic, gets open more, and is more productive.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

The only thing Bryant has over White is his hands. White is stronger, more athletic, gets open more, and is more productive.
White gets open more than Bryant? Really? Bryant consistently gets open, and if he had a QB who could deliver the ball deep then he would have had a much better year. You should know that, especially considering how many times he burned the falcons secondary in their last meeting.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
White gets open more than Bryant? Really? Bryant consistently gets open, and if he had a QB who could deliver the ball deep then he would have had a much better year. You should know that, especially considering how many times he burned the falcons secondary in their last meeting.
Yes, and it's not even close. For a guy who was second in the NFL receiving yards most of the year, White is open most of the time. He has average hands, but he gets open with the best of them.

Wow, he burnt our secondary, which is one of our biggest weaknesses, if not the biggest. Not that impressive.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Bryant is the best route runner in the NFCS fwiw. (better than S. Smith)

and despite White's superior strength, Bryant plays much more physically.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Maybe, doesn't mean he gets open more.

White was a below average route runner his first few years in the league and still got open. Now that he has that down and his hands have improved he is one of the best.

Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yes, and it's not even close. For a guy who was second in the NFL receiving yards most of the year, White is open most of the time. He has average hands, but he gets open with the best of them.

Wow, he burnt our secondary, which is one of our biggest weaknesses, if not the biggest. Not that impressive.
White has other recieving options on the team. Bryant gets open despite being the only recieving threat on the team. Our second best is Michael Clayton? Alex Smith? Stovall? take you pick they all suck
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Bryant has better hands, better concentration in traffic, better ball skills, better YAC ability, gets more separation, runs better routes, and is quicker.

White might be a bit faster and more explosive.

Bryant is more productive. He has 5 less catches and the same amount of TDs, but he wasn't even a starter/main target early in the season. He had 3 catches in the 1st 2 games. White has been in the system for 3 years, Bryant was a street FA.

I'm not a homer. I understand you're ignorant because you've hardly seen Bryant play, but the guy is not a fluke. He's one of the best WRs in the league and better than White, although White is still a great WR.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post

This is true.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Bryant has better hands, better concentration in traffic, better ball skills, better YAC ability, gets more separation, runs better routes, and is quicker.

Bryant is more productive. He has 5 less catches and the same amount of TDs, but he wasn't even a starter/main target early in the season. He had 3 catches in the 1st 2 games. White has been in the system for 3 years, Bryant was a street FA.

I'm not a homer. I understand you're ignorant because you've hardly seen Bryant play, but the guy is not a fluke. He's one of the best WRs in the league and better than White, although White is still a great WR.
Crazy stuff.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe, doesn't mean he gets open more.

White was a below average route runner his first few years in the league and still got open. Now that he has that down and his hands have improved he is one of the best.
Bryant is open probably 1/3 of the time; a homer is you.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:

More seperation is laughable. The yards after the catch is iffy, I can't comment because I haven't seen AB after the catch much. But White is one of the most physical in the league and has speed.

Which reminds me that White is one of the best blocking elite wide receivers in the league.

Big deal. White was about to get cut after his second season in the league, and produced to be the eighth best receiver in 2007 receiving yards wise with Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, and Chris Redman at quarterback.

He has been in the system for years?

Newsflash: We have had four offensive systems in three years.

And the Bucs passed the ball over 100 times more than the Falcons this year, so White didn't have as many opportunities.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Way to turn my beautiful post and hard work into a White vs. Bryant thread guys. :(

BTW I did include Clifton Smith, and you're probably right, if I was to make this list again I would place him over Norwood as the KR. Although, I still think I would take Bush's dynamic ability as a PR over Smith's. Bush took over that Vikings game just as a PR.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
White has other recieving options on the team. Bryant gets open despite being the only recieving threat on the team. Our second best is Michael Clayton? Alex Smith? Stovall? take you pick they all suck
Other options?

Jenkins is average at best.

We have no tight end. Alex Smith would be the uncontested starter for us.

Harry Douglas had less than 30 receptions this year.

Our third receiving option is our backup runningback. Obviously we don't have many options.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post

White is one of the best blockers at receiver in the league. He also never runs out of bounds.

What you said is false.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Bryant plays on a short passing offense with 2 noodle armed QBs. We have no other targets other than dumpoffs to the RBs. Our #2 WR is Michael Clayton and he's slow and can't catch. We had no running game after Graham got injured. Teams knew Bryant was the only guy they had to stop on our offense. They double and triple teamed him and he still got 83 catches at 15 yards a clip. Not to mention all the times he's wide open down the seam and Garcia misses or just scrambles around instead of throwing it.

White is great, but he benefits from a great ground game, a better QB and better overall talent, plus a more downfield passing offense.

Once again BamaFalcon, you're alone arguing against numerous other people who agree on the same thing. Your stubbornness never ceases to amaze me. Watch a few games and tell me Bryant is not ridiculously talented. Don't comment on things you don't know about.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Other options?

Jenkins is average at best.

We have no tight end. Alex Smith would be the uncontested starter for us.

Harry Douglas had less than 30 receptions this year.

Our third receiving option is our backup runningback. Obviously we don't have many options.
Jenkins is better than anything we have. Not to mention you guys have a running game to keep the defences honest. At one point we had Warrick Dunn getting all the carries( who is nothing more than a complimentary back at this point)
Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
White is one of the best blockers at receiver in the league. He also never runs out of bounds.

What you said is false.
White is not one of the best blockers in the league at WR. Clayton is double the blocker White will ever be.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

To be fair etk, he is arguing with all Tampa Bay fans. If there were all ATL fans here and just way, it would be the other way around. Wait until we get some Saints and Panthers fans in here.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
To be fair etk, he is arguing with all Tampa Bay fans. If there were all ATL fans here and just way, it would be the other way around. Wait until we get some Saints and Panthers fans in here.
None of us are saying that Bryant is better than Steve Smith, and i believe most would agree that Bryant had a much better year Colston, so i dont see the big deal.