Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC South Division Forum

NFC South Division Forum Discuss the NFC South

Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
I'm going to beat Yasinkas to it and do my All-NFCS team. I'll give explanation where I think it needs any. Based principally on this year, so long-term injured like T.Davis and Otah miss out.

QB: Brees
RB: Turner (Williams has been a non-factor this year, Stewart has blown his chance to be the main guy)
FB: Mughelli

WR: White
WR: Colston (production has been so-so for a while, but would still take him over anyone else. Smith has done nothing this year, and M.Williams needs more time)
WR: Moore (specifically in the slot)
TE: Gonzalez (no longer the amazing athlete that Winslow is, but his blocking, experience, and leadership carry the day)

LT: Gross (I don't think anyone's done a great job this year, so I'm going to give it to Gross based on career consistency)
LG: Joseph
C: Kalil (although McClure deserves a shout, still underrated)
RG: Evans
RT: Clabo (his best year by far, there's been no pressure on Ryan from the right side, he's been clearing good holes for Turner, and leads the whole line in attitude with Dahl)

RE: Abraham
DT: Babineaux
DT: Ellis
LE: Smith (yes, I know wrong side... but he's clearly better than the others, and could easily play strongside)

ROLB: Beason
MLB: Lofton
SOLB: Vilma (you get your best players on the field, and these three are clearly ahead of any other LB in the division, and Beason/Vilma could easily play on the outside - best MLB though is Beason)

CB: Greer
CB: Talib
SS: Harper (not many contenders, Moore's started well but a few mistakes)
FS: Sharper (still just got a knack for finding the football - Godfray, Jenkins, and DeCoud are all good, young talents though)

K: Bryant
P: Morstead
KR: Spurlock
PR: Bush (not much competition, so keeps the job despite injury)

Coach: Payton (as much as I love Smitty for his leadership ability, I have to admit that Payton is special as an offensive mind)
It's close and not really worth arguing, but:

-I'd switch Gross with Donald Penn. I don't know about Gross but you sound unsure and Penn has been very good this year.
-Switch Ellis with Gerald McCoy. Obviously I've seen more of McCoy than Ellis but McCoy is much more valuable, gets a lot of penetration and is getting better by the week.
-Switch Vilma with Quincy Black -> this I'm the most sure of. Black is a prototypical OLB and Vilma is out of position.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's get Antonio Bryant in there too. Sure, he's out of the division (and out of football for that matter), but he's just so much better than Roddy.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
-Switch Ellis with Gerald McCoy. Obviously I've seen more of McCoy than Ellis but McCoy is much more valuable, gets a lot of penetration and is getting better by the week.
-Switch Vilma with Quincy Black -> this I'm the most sure of. Black is a prototypical OLB and Vilma is out of position.
Ellis and Vilma have easily been the best Saints this season, not just the best defensive players but the best players. They are the main reason that the D is ranked about fourth in the league depending on which standard you use.

McCoy over Ellis is verrrrry wrong imho.

Myabe you want Black in but you really cant kick Vilma out, Lofton and Beason are both better candidates to be kicked out based on this season.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that Sed Ellis should be above McCoy at the moment, but I'm fine with Black at SLB considering it is his natural position whereas it is not Vilma's.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I agree that Sed Ellis should be above McCoy at the moment, but I'm fine with Black at SLB considering it is his natural position whereas it is not Vilma's.
my point is that you can put black there but that vilma should then be in on Will or mike

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I remember the days when Bucs fans used to praise the name of Antonio Bryant, the man, the myth, the legend.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
my point is that you can put black there but that vilma should then be in on Will or mike
That's fair enough. In that case I'd go with Beason - Vilma - Black

Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Let's get Antonio Bryant in there too. Sure, he's out of the division (and out of football for that matter), but he's just so much better than Roddy.
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/81...gif?1275684729

Antonio was better than Roddy. Obviously Roddy is better now and Antonio is injured, but that has no bearing on the previous argument.

@wicket Fair enough.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/81...gif?1275684729

Antonio was better than Roddy. Obviously Roddy is better now and Antonio is injured, but that has no bearing on the previous argument.

@wicket Fair enough.

Very true. Wait what was that argument again? Was it the stats? Nope, White had more catches, more yards, more explosive plays, same number of TDs. Was it consistency? Haha. Oh, it was the fact that Antonio didn't have a great QB (even though White put up the same numbers with garbage at QB the year before) and the fact that Bryant was better in college. You're totally right. Antonio was clearly better than White. It's a damn shame where we are at now.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Michael Turner
RB: LeGarrette Blount
FB: Ovie Mughelli
WR: Roddy White
TE: Kellen Winslow
LT: Donald Penn
LG: Carl Nicks
C: Ryan Kalil
RG: Jahri Evans
RT: Jordan Gross
WR: Marques Colston

DE: Will Smith
DT: Johnathan Babineaux
DT: Sedrick Ellis
DE: John Abraham
OLB: Quincy Black
MLB: Jon Beason
OLB: Thomas Davis
CB: Aqib Talib
FS: Malcolm Jenkins
SS: Charles Godfrey
CB: Jabari Greer

K: Who cares
P: Who cares
LS: Who cares
KR: Eric Weems

Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
RB: Michael Turner
RT: Jordan Gross
WR: Marques Colston

DT: Johnathan Babineaux
OLB: Quincy Black
MLB: Jon Beason
OLB: Thomas Davis
CB: Aqib Talib
FS: Malcolm Jenkins
CB: Jabari Greer

K: Who cares
P: Who cares
LS: Who cares
Not to be a homer, but Freeman had the best season and would take Ryan or Freeman over Drew Brees. Heres mine:

QB: Freeman/Ryan
RB: Turner
RB: Blount
WR: Mike Williams
T: Donald Penn
G: Jhari Evens
C: Ryan Kahil
G: Carl Nicks
T: Sam Baker

Defense:
DT: Jon Babenieux
WLB: Jon Beason
MLB: Jon Vilma
SLB: Quincy Black
CB: Brent Grimes
FS: Malcom Jenkins
CB: Aquib Talib

Special teams:
K: Matt Bryant
P: Moorehead
LS: ???????
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Mine wasn't based purely on 10/11 season.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overall in 2010:

Drew Brees Wins - 11, 448/658 (68.1% ) 4620 yards (7.02 per Att.) 33 TDs/ 25 INTs = Passer rating - 90.9

Matt Ryan Wins - 12, 357/571 (62.5% ) 3705 yards (6.49 per Att.) 28 TDs/9 INTs = Passer rating - 91.0

Josh Freeman Wins -10, 291/474 (61.4% ) 3451 yards (7.28 per Att.) 25 TDs/ 6 INTs = Passer rating - 95.9

Brees:

Stats against common opponents:

W-L 7-3 265/386 (68.6% ) 2684 yards (6.95 per Att.) and 23TDs/ 15 INTs = 91.94 rating

Stats head 2 head:

H2H 2-2 98/157 (62.4% ) 1126 yards (7.17 per Att.) and 8TDs/ 6 INTs = 85.05 rating

Ryan:

W-L 9-1 234/370 (62.2% )2430 yards (6.57 per Att.) 19 TDs/ 6 INTs = 92.51 rating

Stats head 2 head:

H2H 3-1 76/131 (58.0% ) 816 yards (6.23 per Att.) 6 TDs/ 2 INTs = 85.29 rating

Freeman:

W-L 8-2 179/ 288 (62.2% ) 2090 yards (7.25 per Att.) 17 TDs/ 3 INTs = 99.45 rating

Stats head 2 head:

H2H 1-3 76/129 (58.9% ) 844 yards (6.54 per Att.) 6 TDs/ 3 INTs = 84.24 rating

So, who should be the NFC South QB? And why?

Drew Brees has:
Most Attempts.
Most Completions.
Highest completion %.
Most passing yards.
Most TD passes.

Matt Ryan has:
Best head to head record.
Best record against common opponents.
Best overall record.
#1 Seed in the NFC.
Best passer rating head 2 head.

Josh Freeman has:
Best passer rating overall.
Best passer rating against common Opp.
Highest yards per Att.
Least INTs.
Most rushing yards.

Thoughts?

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Either way, it is not Josh Freeman. In order to gain respect in the NFL, you need to be able to replicate success. Let's see Freeman do that before we rank him ahead of Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:49 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it's for this year, what does it matter if Free did it in "back to back" years?

To me, it looks like they all had great years. Ryan had the better team. Brees had the most opportunities (they really asked him to sling the ball alot this year). Free was the most efficient.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Either way, it is not Josh Freeman. In order to gain respect in the NFL, you need to be able to replicate success. Let's see Freeman do that before we rank him ahead of Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.
I agree with this. I think you could make the argument that he had the best season if you focus solely on 2010. But when picking an all-star team I think you need to go with someone who has shown consistency.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Oh and for the record, I don't think it's Free this year either.

Ryan for me.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
If it's for this year, what does it matter if Free did it in "back to back" years?

To me, it looks like they all had great years. Ryan had the better team. Brees had the most opportunities (they really asked him to sling the ball alot this year).
Well that is what happens when you have no running game, because none of your Running backs can stay healthy through out the season. Brees is asked to carry a team on his shoulders week in and week out, something that Ryan/Freeman don't have to do because they have solid dependable run games, and Defenses that are more consistent at limiting opposing teams.

I think Ryan and Freeman are great young QBs, and both will oversee their franchises to quite a few victories but they haven't arrived into that Elite status quite yet. All 3 of the aforementioned NFC South QBs had a ton of success in the regular season, however it all culminated in the same end result, 0 post season victories. So it's pretty much a wash and you can take your pick who was better for the 2010 season based on whatever criteria you prefer.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

For what it's worth, ESPN had Freeman as their NFC South MVP of 2010.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, well, they're ****** in the head, so....

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Yeah, well, they're ****** in the head, so....
It was Pat Yasinskas and to be fair he actually does a great job covering the NFC South throughout the season.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Well that is what happens when you have no running game, because none of your Running backs can stay healthy through out the season. Brees is asked to carry a team on his shoulders week in and week out, something that Ryan/Freeman don't have to do because they have solid dependable run games, and Defenses that are more consistent at limiting opposing teams.

I think Ryan and Freeman are great young QBs, and both will oversee their franchises to quite a few victories but they haven't arrived into that Elite status quite yet. All 3 of the aforementioned NFC South QBs had a ton of success in the regular season, however it all culminated in the same end result, 0 post season victories. So it's pretty much a wash and you can take your pick who was better for the 2010 season based on whatever criteria you prefer.
Agree that Brees is asked to carry NO, but Freeman was doing that as well, at least until Blount started getting more touches around week 11.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Falcons fan, I think right now it is still Brees. However, if he plays like he did in 2010 again, he would no longer be my guy. Way too many INTs. If Freeman repeats his success, he has a shot at claiming that top spot. Ryan has a shot if Mularkey decides to open up the offense a little. It really is a three-horse race.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RT: Tyson Clabo
WR: Mike Williams