Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 12-09-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Our Coaching?

I was browsing through the Bears Message Board, and saw an interesting article/post

Quote:
Bears castoff Gage thriving as go-to guy for Titans' Young

In four years with the Bears, Justin Gage played in 49 games and caught 64 balls for 908 yards. In one season with the Titans, Gage is on track to play 16 games and lead the team with 55 receptions for 721 yards.

This year, 78 percent of Gage's catches have resulted in first downs. Only seven players in the NFL have a higher percentage of first down catches

Is this the same player who caught four passes as a Bear last year, who was on the inactive list for the Super Bowl (and nine other games) and who was allowed to leave as a free agent? Clearly, Gage the Titan is different from Gage the Bear.

"The difference is I'm getting opportunities, the team has confidence in me, the staff has confidence in me and the quarterback has confidence in me," Gage says. "It's tough to say why it didn't happen with the Bears. We had some talented receivers in Chicago and the opportunities weren't always there. I would get a chance here, or a chance there. But after a mistake it would be, OK, we'll go with somebody else. Here they have the confidence to stick with me. If I mess up, they'll come back at me and see if I can make a play."

The Bears chose Gage in the fifth round of the 2003 draft knowing it might take awhile for him to develop. He had been a quarterback and defensive back until his sophomore season at Missouri.

And once in Chicago, Gage never did much to distinguish himself from other receivers. But the point is he still is showing growth as a receiver. Titans coaches have been drilling him on getting off the press, running sharper routes and catching the ball consistently, and Gage has improved in those areas.

"I'm still developing as a receiver," Gage says. "The lack of playing time I had in previous years has set me back, but the more reps I'm getting, the better I'm feeling and the more confidence I'm getting."

At 6 feet 4 inches Gage, who also played basketball at Missouri, has learned to use his size and leaping ability against shorter defenders.

"With my basketball background, I have the ability to go get the ball and think of it as a rebound," Gage says. "It's something I use to my advantage. [Quarterback Vince Young]is realizing if he gives me those opportunities I can go up and get the ball and make big plays."

The Titans signed Gage to a one-year contract, so he is scheduled to be a free agent again in March. Based on his production in his breakout season, he says he would like to remain right where he is.
and then a later post was made

Quote:
same for bobby wade, justin gage and chris harris.. and yet all the above have become starters and contributors for other teams...despite almost all glad when we rid the te team of them..after months of bashing them here..its irony at its best
I found that pretty interesting, which brings me to ask about our coaching.
All those players listed above, plus Alfonso Boone, have all been good for their new teams. So I ask, why cant we develop players like that? Is it the coaching that prevents our players from progressing a lot, and giving players opprotunities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember when Justin Gage made that fumble... after that we never saw him again.

Our coaching staff falls in love with certain players and never lets anyone get a chance. I could see Mark Bradley leaving and being very productive for his next team.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, how about when someone gets going *benson against seatle*, and then they bench him?

I just dont get what the coaches are doing now that I look at like this. I mean, when quite a few of our players have become good starters on other teams, you have to wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What we need is to get the best offensive mind available this offseason, give them the assistant HC title as well as OC, and just let him have complete control over anything offense. Let him come up with the scheme, let him choose which offensive players to draft, which assistant coaches he wants on offense, etc. I like Lovie, but he has no idea about anything concerning the offense.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
blkwdw13
Rookie

blkwdw13 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
What we need is to get the best offensive mind available this offseason, give them the assistant HC title as well as OC, and just let him have complete control over anything offense. Let him come up with the scheme, let him choose which offensive players to draft, which assistant coaches he wants on offense, etc. I like Lovie, but he has no idea about anything concerning the offense.
This is exactly what they need to do and I would be ecstatic if they actually did it.
blkwdw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah because it worked so well with Mike Martz.

Lovie is the coach. He should be allowed to hire and give authority to whomever he wants. If it doesn't work it's his head, so he should be the final authority on that.

The Chicago media is so stupidly fickle. They LOVED Lovie for the last two years. The guy could do no wrong. Now they aren't winning and they are questioning every move he makes. I mean...Justin Gage....Bobby Wade? Who gives a ****?

I've never been a Lovie fan. Wasn't much of a Lovie fan last year either. That said he's earned himself probably two more years (at least one) so I'm willing to give him the noose and let him hang himself if the case may be.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Yeah because it worked so well with Mike Martz.

Lovie is the coach. He should be allowed to hire and give authority to whomever he wants. If it doesn't work it's his head, so he should be the final authority on that.

The Chicago media is so stupidly fickle. They LOVED Lovie for the last two years. The guy could do no wrong. Now they aren't winning and they are questioning every move he makes. I mean...Justin Gage....Bobby Wade? Who gives a ****?

I've never been a Lovie fan. Wasn't much of a Lovie fan last year either. That said he's earned himself probably two more years (at least one) so I'm willing to give him the noose and let him hang himself if the case may be.
Last time I checked, the Lions have a much better offense then ours... We need a less crazy version of Mike Martz, IMO.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Last time I checked, the Lions have a much better offense then ours... We need a less crazy version of Mike Martz, IMO.
The Lions have spent about 10 first round pikcs on their offense too.

And they aren't much better. Look at the numbers. The Lions offense has been a dissapointment this year. They don't score nearly enough, they take way too many sacks, and they turn the ball over almost as much as we do.

My point, however, was that you can't have two head coaches. It simply doesn't work.

Your implication that Ron Turner doesn't have full controll over the offense makes no sense either. I doubt that Lovie has much, if anything, to do with the current offense now.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think it's pretty obvious that we need a good offensive coordinator... perhaps we might have to look somewhere in the college ranks to get that though, because all the good NFL guys will be looking for HC opportunities.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the entire offensive coaching staff needs to go. From Ron Turner on down.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

IF we fire Turner (and I'm not totally convinced we will) my list is very short.

Mike Shula

The guy has been in the coaching ranks for 19 years and is still pretty young. He's been the head coach at Alabama, was the offensive coordinator for 3 years in Tampa Bay under Tony Dungy (meaning that Angelo is very familiar with him), he's had experience in developing numerous quarterbacks. He was also our tight end coach from '93-'95.

I think if we wanted a new, yet steady direction, Mike Shula would be a great hire.

Another alternative that I've thought of is Mike Tice or Scott Linehan (assuming he's fired). Obviously things didn't work out so well with them as head coaches, but their offenses were always good, and both are guys that are familiar with the NFC North.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 12-09-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As an Illini fan Ive been pretty impressed with Locksley's offensive scheme. He seems to have a good grasp on what to call when. So hes worth a look.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The coaching staff has had a rough year, but I think the media and the fans have hit the panic button too soon on this coaching staff.

As for the offense, I don't feel the problem is Turner. It's difficult to run an offense when your QB play is inconsistent and your offensive line is below average.

I think the only real sin which this coaching staff has done this year has been their personal decisions on who they did or did not play, e.g. Archuleta, Fred Miller, Mark Bradley...etc.

Angelo needs to step up this off season and take away the personal decisions from Lovie.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but seriously, that happens to a lot of teams. Ryan Grant f.E. its just football and it also depends on the system u are playing in or going to play in. But well, i dont like our coaching staff either

P.S.: First post :)
Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote