Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp
I just want a political thread for when people make off-base, untrue, and essentially propaganda type posts.

Those bother me, and I would like to be able to say why, and what was wrong.
there's nothing wrong with my opinion of canada.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:37 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
I just want a political thread for when people make off-base, untrue, and essentially propaganda type posts.

No, but your posts about the WWF are just wrong!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93
I just think it's a bit silly to restrict topics on a discussion board. I can certainly understand not wanting to open that can of worms (as a former admin of a few forums myself), but I do know that it can be pulled off.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
snuff

Easy way would be to give me a secret forum where I could invite people of my choosing.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
While I respect the choice of this forum to not discuss certain things (even if I don't agree with it at all), using the reasoning "chances are we won't figure this out, so we might as well not talk about it at all" is totally ridiculous.

It is human nature to talk over things, even if reaching a solid conclusion is incredibly unlikely.
If I was convinced that it wouldn't devolve into pointless, waste of everyone's time, heated, banter, then sure it would be alright. That's the problem. I have seen other forums allow these types of discussions before. It is impossible to keep it from becoming a flame war, at some point, because it's the nature of the beast.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
If I was convinced that it wouldn't devolve into pointless, waste of everyone's time, heated, banter, then sure it would be alright. That's the problem. I have seen other forums allow these types of discussions before. It is impossible to keep it from becoming a flame war.
I don't see what makes political discussion pointless and a waste of time and discussing the 40-time of some NFL prospect a great and meaningful conversation. In one someone might actually recieve some education on something directly affecting them (or that they directly affect).

Intelligent discussion of contreversial topics is not as impossible as you think.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 AM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

as random as i may be i'd like to discuss the upcoming presidential elections. someone needs to represent dennis kucinich. :o
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Quote:
If I was convinced that it wouldn't devolve into pointless, waste of everyone's time, heated, banter, then sure it would be alright. That's the problem. I have seen other forums allow these types of discussions before. It is impossible to keep it from becoming a flame war.
I don't see what makes political discussion pointless and a waste of time and discussing the 40-time of some NFL prospect a great and meaningful conversation. In one someone might actually recieve some education on something directly affecting them (or that they directly affect).
Then why is this a football sire. I, and others, didn't come here for great, meaningful, soul searching, type discussions. Can it be done? Sure, but as mentioned, it has been tried here before with less than desirable results.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Then why is this a football forum. I didn't come here for great, meaningful, soul searching, type discussions. Can it be done? Sure, but as mentioned, it has been tried here before.
Like I said, I absolutely respect the decision to not want to deal with the whole thing, but I do think it can be done.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Well, I think a few posters here could respectfully discuss things. I just don't trust the masses, in regards to the 'timeless' debates.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
bigrick0016

Have you ever read any of the Ran-dumb Discussion thread? That's why lucid conservation cannot be achieved on this site.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, I think a few posters here could respectfully discuss things. I just don't trust the masses, in regards to the 'timeless' debates.
I think that laying down strict rules for such discussion would tend to limit the participation to those who actually have something to say.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Don't get me wrong, I am not into the elitist "membership only" boards. I am just saying, if more people were more responsible, mature, intelligent, I wouldn't mind it. I am sure no one else would either.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am not into the elitist "membership only" boards. I am just saying, if more people were more responsible, mature, intelligent, I wouldn't mind it. I am sure no one else would either.
Well, I think that such an environment can be grown through example, but that's not to say it isn't a solid amount of work.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

The only reason I started this thread, is one, it was coming up with the Tim Hardaway mess. But, primarily, I just thought that fake newspaper article was hilarious.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the idea of having political discussions because of flame wars, mainly. It's one thing to flame about the draft, but when you flame about politics and religion, it kind of clouds your perception about others, if you will.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like to debate it, because the art of debate naturally makes you investigate your own beliefs much more thoroughly.
True, but the art of flame war hardens your beliefs. And only a thin line lies in between.

BTW, that article is pretty funny.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:

No, but your posts about the WWF are just wrong!
fair enough.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ

That's funny.

I always wondered how people got into politics then bam I hit college.... Now I know why.
Unless opening a religion/politics forum would lead to that end, solving all the world's differences, then it would just be a colossal waste of time. Especially when most have educated themselves, and have made their own personal decisions on what to believe in, what not to believe in, politically, scientifically, religiously.
Most haven't educated themself, thats the problem. Now that is all I am going to say so I don't get banned.

In regards to the flame part, am I the only one who doesn't look at who said what unless it is actually a very good post? Especially when someone changes their avatar, it makes me think its a completely different person.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Paranoid, I encourage you to debate these things on boards devoted to such. This is devoted to sports, and anything like that is allowed.

Initially, it wasn't restricted, and as I mentioned before, people abused it. It is completely Scott's call and he has made his call. That is the way the rule goes. Whether some of us disagree and would like to debate this, we will have to do it in private.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Religious discussions are bad idea, it just starts an argument.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable
That's because people are either too immature, too insecure, or are too ignorant to discuss religion - especially when it comes to their own beliefs.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable
That's because people are either too immature, too insecure, or are too ignorant to discuss religion - especially when it comes to their own beliefs.
Be that as it may it still is a bad idea to have them on here.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
mpindo3
Rookie

mpindo3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

story time...

mpindo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93
And Paranoid, I encourage you to debate these things on boards devoted to such. This is devoted to sports, and anything like that is allowed.

Initially, it wasn't restricted, and as I mentioned before, people abused it. It is completely Scott's call and he has made his call. That is the way the rule goes. Whether some of us disagree and would like to debate this, we will have to do it in private.
I don't think there is a whole lot more arguing I can do on the subject. Either you guys want to give it a try or you don't. I'm more than happy to discuss it in private, but I don't get the sense that I'm suddenly going to sway Scott's mind.