Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

jacksonville does have a fairly exciting team though.
Players like Maurice Jones-Drew(or is it the other way around) who are quick and real finnesse type players do bring a sort of excitement to the game and so that might save them. Also have any of yall ever been to KC? It keeps on getting compered to GB, but if youve ever been to KC youd notice skyscraper-type buildings, not as tall as in NY or nothing but KC isnt all that small time to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LakerLand
Posts: 13,130
Reputation: 628697
yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4
jacksonville does have a fairly exciting team though.
Players like Maurice Jones-Drew(or is it the other way around) who are quick and real finnesse type players do bring a sort of excitement to the game and so that might save them. Also have any of yall ever been to KC? It keeps on getting compered to GB, but if youve ever been to KC youd notice skyscraper-type buildings, not as tall as in NY or nothing but KC isnt all that small time to me.
KC is much like Green Bay in that their DMAs (designated market areas) are small, but their EMA (extended market areas) are huge. They both draw from all over their entire state.

And in regards to Jacksonville: just win. It'll take care of everything, especially since the market keeps growing and growing. I'd be much more concerned about a team like Buffalo.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,233
Reputation: 3672
steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohleive
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77
I like Pittsburgh
And may god have mercy on your soul...
There's just as much to do as Baltimore, with the added bonus of not having to worry about getting shot around every corner.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bullying the Jukebox
Posts: 1,906
Reputation: 7194
locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,973
Reputation: 6046785
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,973
Reputation: 6046785
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:
the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 23,244
Reputation: 487699
Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:
the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.
Ha, I was about to comment on that too. There are tons of reasons not to be a sports fan in NYC. Hell, I would imagine 4 out of 5 random NYers don't even know who Alex Rodriguez is and NYC is more of a baseball town than a football town.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:35 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:
the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.
No you are not a complete moron. You are so imcompetent that you even failed to be a complete moron. :roll:

Care to your explaination why LA has no NFL franchises. Surely a genius like yourself can come up with one other than. :roll: :roll: must be some kind the short bus lingo.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,296
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,126
Reputation: 4191549
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.
LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bolingbrook, Illinois
Posts: 2,932
Reputation: 2310
Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Every team should create extra attractions in the area to create more revenue. Green Bay is the smallest market and has one of the highest revenues because they know how to market the team and have turned Lambeau into a museum and landmark rather than just a place to play football. Now I understand a large part of the revenue is based off of tradition, history, high ticket prices, a legend in Brett Favre, (imagine how many Brett Favre jerseys have been sold) usually winning seasons, and huge fan base all over the nation.

My advice to any small market team would be to market your players, create catch phrases, build these guys up in the community and most importantly, WIN. Do whatever it takes (legally :D ). Win a Super Bowl, the 2005 Chicago White Sox ( I know it's not a small market team) won the World Series and had no problem selling tickets and merchandise, and now they're in the top 5 in the league in salary, they're a big time baseball club now. For the longest time the White Sox have been the second most popular baseball team in Chicago to the Cubs (in fact they still are but it's much closer than it used to be) and drew about 25,000 fans a game and sell way more than that now.

Do whatever you can to market the team to the area. The closest AFC team to the Jags is the Dolphins way down in Miami. You can be a fan of the Falcons AND Jags or Buccaneers AND Jags. Run commercials with John Henderson and Marcus Stroud, put up billboards and posters. Call them the twin towers or something. I think the Jags have ton of players they can market to the entire area. That stadium is electric in a big game. But the best way to create revenue is to go deep in the postseason.
__________________
I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,973
Reputation: 6046785
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:
the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.
No you are not a complete moron. You are so imcompetent that you even failed to be a complete moron. :roll:

Care to your explaination why LA has no NFL franchises. Surely a genius like yourself can come up with one other than. :roll: :roll: must be some kind the short bus lingo.
and yet i'm not the one who said that NYC only has the bronx.

and yeah, the excellent use of the english language in the second paragraph there clearly demonstrates that *i* should be riding the short bus. regardless.

LA is, in my mind, full of pathetic sports fans (not all of them sarf). but to imply that they don't care about sports because they have "better things to do" is absurd, as demonstrated.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LakerLand
Posts: 13,130
Reputation: 628697
yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.
LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.
And this is the reason why I hate southern California teams and their fans.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:
the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.
No you are not a complete moron. You are so imcompetent that you even failed to be a complete moron. :roll:

Care to your explaination why LA has no NFL franchises. Surely a genius like yourself can come up with one other than. :roll: :roll: must be some kind the short bus lingo.
and yet i'm not the one who said that NYC only has the bronx.

and yeah, the excellent use of the english language in the second paragraph there clearly demonstrates that *i* should be riding the short bus. regardless.

LA is, in my mind, full of pathetic sports fans (not all of them sarf). but to imply that they don't care about sports because they have "better things to do" is absurd, as demonstrated.
Of course New York has more than the Bronx. :roll: I was just joking and pointing out LA has more gold standards than NY. NY has nothing like Disney and Atlantic City looks like a war zone and looks nothing like Vegas. LA wins. They also have college football that draws quite a bit of support. LA has UCLA and USC, NYC has Rutgers and Fordham. Enough said.

Not everyone thinks pro sports is the best thing since slice bread anyways.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,296
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.
LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.
The Dodgers and Angels generate some of the highest revenue in baseball. Obviously it's different than New York, but just because it's not New York doesn't mean it can't sustain an NFL team, and it especially doesn't mean it can't sustain a sports franchise considering they have as many as any city outside of New York.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
lod01
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 937
Reputation: 9944
lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
Because no one one in LA goes to football games. I thought everyone knew that.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,126
Reputation: 4191549
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.
LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.
The Dodgers and Angels generate some of the highest revenue in baseball. Obviously it's different than New York, but just because it's not New York doesn't mean it can't sustain an NFL team, and it especially doesn't mean it can't sustain a sports franchise considering they have as many as any city outside of New York.
Those baseball teams you mentioned actually benefit from the new revenue sharing policy. Its like welfare for baseball teams. The bottom 10 teams in baseball profit more per year than the top 10. The Yankees and Red Sox alone account for 60% of baseball revenue. The overall revenue is split up and divided so other teams can survive. The bottom 10 teams take that money and run to the bank with it, they don't want to spend it to develop a team thus coming out with higher revenues as a whole compared to the top 10 teams.

The problem is, most people from the LA area either root for the Raiders or 49ers anyway. The niche market that you would go after is small. And with the fickle personality of the area, once you start losing, no one will show up.

The NFL would love to have a market in LA. The problem is, theres no market. They tried twice and failed twice. LA is simply not a football town. Have you ever been to LA? I have, and I definately got the impression that those people could care less about football.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Turbeauxdog
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Reputation: 10
Turbeauxdog hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

The NFL probably wants a franchise in LA (for the billion dollar expansion fee), but I don't think TV wants a franchise there, becuase they won't sell out the stadium, and the nation's 2nd largest media market will be blacked out.

LA has always had good basketball teams, from UCLA through the Lakers they have about 25 championships, so they are supported well.

The Dodgers and Angels benefit from the large Latino population that loves baseball.

No one cares too much about the Kings and Ducks, except for when they win.

Also, no city in California will build a stadium for a team, and that doesn't help.
Turbeauxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
pysseddoph
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Reputation: 10
pysseddoph hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420
The Chiefs are in small market and have one of the bigger stadium's in the NFL Seating Capacity 79,451 it can be done.
Kansas City draws from all over the place though. If you like in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska you're just as likely to be a Chiefs fan as anything else.

Jacksonville basically draws from Northern Florida and that's it. It was an awful move to put a football team there in the first place. That being said, I think the Bills are the worst-placed team in the NFL, and I would keep a close on on the rumors of them eventually moving to Toronto.
kinda funny you say this in the same breath as you speak of the chiefs situation. the bills are a regional as well. as far south as erie pa, as far east a syracuse ny and as far north as toronto ontario. that is how large the blackout area is for the bills. you have fans that make the drive every sunday.

i think the bills should move but my plan is one that works more for the state of new york and the bills as well. they should move to niagara falls ny.
pysseddoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
pysseddoph
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Reputation: 10
pysseddoph hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
I'd say Buffalo is in deeper sh-t than Jacksonville. Toronto with it's 16 million regional population is very attractive and might be the NFL's 1st step towards making the game international.
just to add.

toronto also has something of merit more than just the fans. toronto has company headquarters there. toronto is the nyc/la of canada. they could get recompetetive with stadium naming rights because there would be a real market for such a thing. the club and box seats could be sold there as the economy could support such a thing.

now the ideal thing would to have a team in canda ( toronto ) and a team in mexico ( mexico city ). the nfl is a business and they understand the overall grand scheme. its about product placement. the nfl brand. now looking at these 2 cities .... you would have a domed 65 to 75k seat stadium in toronto. i think thats all they can handle. but in new mexico you would put an 80k plus stadium. get the firm that didnt the new texas stadium to do the one in mexico city.

also at this time you would do another realignment of the league ( the bills should have went to the afcn to begin with, smh at mr wilson for fighting that ) because as it stands right now ... both of the probable teams are in the afc.
pysseddoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,202
Reputation: 307331
Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.
Not a LA fan but I think your completely wrong. The biggest roadblock for a successful franchise in LA is a stadium. The colisium isn't a pro standard stadium and it's in the wrong part of town as I understand it. Until LA builds a new modern stadium, pro football has no chance in that city. Build the fans a great venu to watch the game and LA would have no trouble filling the stadium and supporting the team.
The only black mark on LA is its refusal to build a modern facility so a team could prosper. It's really hard to explain their failure to erect a stadium in this day an age.
__________________
And proud of it!!!
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,296
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysseddoph View Post
kinda funny you say this in the same breath as you speak of the chiefs situation. the bills are a regional as well. as far south as erie pa, as far east a syracuse ny and as far north as toronto ontario. that is how large the blackout area is for the bills. you have fans that make the drive every sunday.

i think the bills should move but my plan is one that works more for the state of new york and the bills as well. they should move to niagara falls ny.
They should move to Toronto, like I already said. It's a major metro area that is still very close to the region.

And there are just as many Browns fans in Erie as there are Bills fans. It's not the same as Kansas City as the Chiefs cover much more territory.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,296
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Those baseball teams you mentioned actually benefit from the new revenue sharing policy. Its like welfare for baseball teams. The bottom 10 teams in baseball profit more per year than the top 10. The Yankees and Red Sox alone account for 60% of baseball revenue. The overall revenue is split up and divided so other teams can survive. The bottom 10 teams take that money and run to the bank with it, they don't want to spend it to develop a team thus coming out with higher revenues as a whole compared to the top 10 teams.

The problem is, most people from the LA area either root for the Raiders or 49ers anyway. The niche market that you would go after is small. And with the fickle personality of the area, once you start losing, no one will show up.

The NFL would love to have a market in LA. The problem is, theres no market. They tried twice and failed twice. LA is simply not a football town. Have you ever been to LA? I have, and I definately got the impression that those people could care less about football.
You talked to everyone in the city about whether or not they care about football? USC has a huge following, so obviously they care about football.

The Rams and Raiders didn't work b/c they were competing against themselves. I agree it's not like New York, but they could easily sustain one team. Easily.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysseddoph View Post
just to add.

toronto also has something of merit more than just the fans. toronto has company headquarters there. toronto is the nyc/la of canada. they could get recompetetive with stadium naming rights because there would be a real market for such a thing. the club and box seats could be sold there as the economy could support such a thing.

now the ideal thing would to have a team in canda ( toronto ) and a team in mexico ( mexico city ). the nfl is a business and they understand the overall grand scheme. its about product placement. the nfl brand. now looking at these 2 cities .... you would have a domed 65 to 75k seat stadium in toronto. i think thats all they can handle. but in new mexico you would put an 80k plus stadium. get the firm that didnt the new texas stadium to do the one in mexico city.

also at this time you would do another realignment of the league ( the bills should have went to the afcn to begin with, smh at mr wilson for fighting that ) because as it stands right now ... both of the probable teams are in the afc.
One difference. Toronto is first world, Mexico City is third world. I don't think players would want to live their and the populace can't afford to attend many NFL games.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.