Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-23-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
J-Kay
Rookie

J-Kay hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My mock Jets draft

1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
2. Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan
3. Shannon Tevaga, OG, UCLA
4. Dennis Keyes, FS, UCLA
5. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
6. Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State.
7. Frank Morton, DT, Tulane

If we are in position to draft Jake Long or Darren McFadden, I think we should take Long. As good as Run-DMC is, he'd struggle behind our OL.
J-Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
ManOverboard
Rookie

ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ManOverboard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm assuming we move Long to RT?

My Jets board:

1. McFadden
2. Chris Long
3. Jake Long
4. Vernon Gholston

If we get one of those 4, I'm a happy camper.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
J-Kay
Rookie

J-Kay hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah, Long at RT. I think he'd be better there.
J-Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:22 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Kay View Post
1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
2. Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan
3. Shannon Tevaga, OG, UCLA
4. Dennis Keyes, FS, UCLA
5. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
6. Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State.
7. Frank Morton, DT, Tulane

If we are in position to draft Jake Long or Darren McFadden, I think we should take Long. As good as Run-DMC is, he'd struggle behind our OL.

1)I dont like the Long pick bc the market for RT is vast in this draft and we don't have to use a high pick on a RT.
MY PICK: Vernon Gholston OLB

2)Shawn Crable reminds me too much of Victor Hobson. I prefer guys who can bull rush and speed rush. As you can see I like Gholston. We need help on offense, but for our needs best value is at DE.
MY PICK: Dre Moore DE

3) Shanon Tevaga will not be a 3rd round pick. I watched him play last night against BYU. Im not a fan. Finally Address OL, but with a mean bruiser who helps us substantially.
MY PICK: John Greco RT

4)Free Safety should not even be a question. SInce the bye week the jets are 1st in passsing defense. Abram Elam has the SS spot and the Jets have a YOUNG glut at Safety with Eric Smith who contributes in all phases of Special teamS AND Erik Coleman who I think might be cut, but still way more needs than safety depth. We go WR to help our passing offense, which is lacking a guy who is a HR threat possesion and YAC guy.
MY PICK: Jordie Nelson WR

5) I do like Kendall Langford and his value in the 5th, but I like Dre Moore better and at this point we need to address the line some more. We go guard with a rising player who is great in the run game, he helps RUN DMC every day.
MY PICK: Robert Felton LG

6)The last thing we need is another short reciever. I only want to sign or ddraft recievers who are 63 and bigger not a 59 speedster who could be the exact replica of Chansi Stuckey. I think we address NT depth sooner than you think.
MY PICK: Frank Morton NT

7)I think with this pick the Jets look for a spark for the secondary and draft a undervalued CB with good ball skills and someone who could perhaps give them the steal they were looking for with Drew Coleman. with Justin Millers future uncertain and the Jets looking to get younger they may want to move away from Hank Poteat type guys and towards another direction. The Secondary is sollid and would only improve with help up front, but they may want a young #2 CB bc they dont have that and the CB situation may shake up whether they want it to or not.
MY PICK: Julius Stinson CB

These picks are assuming we make no trades and no signings.

MY BOARD (Not jsut for Jets but in General)
-Dorsey
-Gholston
-J Long
-McFadden
-C Long
-Ryan
-Jenkins
-Phillips
-Laurianitus
-Kelly

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 12-24-2007 at 02:29 AM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
1)I dont like the Long pick bc the market for RT is vast in this draft and we don't have to use a high pick on a RT.
MY PICK: Vernon Gholston OLB

2)Shawn Crable reminds me too much of Victor Hobson. I prefer guys who can bull rush and speed rush. As you can see I like Gholston. We need help on offense, but for our needs best value is at DE.
MY PICK: Dre Moore DE

3) Shanon Tevaga will not be a 3rd round pick. I watched him play last night against BYU. Im not a fan. Finally Address OL, but with a mean bruiser who helps us substantially.
MY PICK: John Greco RT

4)Free Safety should not even be a question. SInce the bye week the jets are 1st in passsing defense. Abram Elam has the SS spot and the Jets have a YOUNG glut at Safety with Eric Smith who contributes in all phases of Special teamS AND Erik Coleman who I think might be cut, but still way more needs than safety depth. We go WR to help our passing offense, which is lacking a guy who is a HR threat possesion and YAC guy.
MY PICK: Jordie Nelson WR

5) I do like Kendall Langford and his value in the 5th, but I like Dre Moore better and at this point we need to address the line some more. We go guard with a rising player who is great in the run game, he helps RUN DMC every day.
MY PICK: Robert Felton LG

6)The last thing we need is another short reciever. I only want to sign or ddraft recievers who are 63 and bigger not a 59 speedster who could be the exact replica of Chansi Stuckey. I think we address NT depth sooner than you think.
MY PICK: Frank Morton NT

7)I think with this pick the Jets look for a spark for the secondary and draft a undervalued CB with good ball skills and someone who could perhaps give them the steal they were looking for with Drew Coleman. with Justin Millers future uncertain and the Jets looking to get younger they may want to move away from Hank Poteat type guys and towards another direction. The Secondary is sollid and would only improve with help up front, but they may want a young #2 CB bc they dont have that and the CB situation may shake up whether they want it to or not.
MY PICK: Julius Stinson CB

These picks are assuming we make no trades and no signings.

MY BOARD (Not jsut for Jets but in General)
-Dorsey
-Gholston
-J Long
-McFadden
-C Long
-Ryan
-Jenkins
-Phillips
-Laurianitus
-Kelly
First pick I'm with you on. Vernon Gholston.

Second pick Moore is great but after watching our offensive line and with having a young QB I think OL has to be addresed within the first two rounds. I take Gosder Cherilus, who will be a monster when moved back to his more natural spot at right tackle. Great value in the second.

I already addressed RT, otherwise I'd be fine with the Greco pick. One way or another we addressed LG in free agency in this mock, so the line is now in good shape (don't think we're making any changes at RG, just those two spots). Not assuming any trades, so LC and Vilma are still around. Still, because they take awhile to develop, we need a big one anyway, and he's a great value in the early third round, I'm taking Adarius Bowman to be a big wideout for us now and a starter down the road when LC leaves or retires.

Here I already addressed the wideout spot and I think that there's not a chance Jordy Nelson slips this far anyways. I'm also not banking on Frank Morton falling nearly as far as you did with all of the 3-4 teams around and very few nose tackles in this draft. Value here isn't too bad either, so I'm fine with the pick. We got one of our guys in this draft, so no complaints.

Don't we have two fifths? Since I'm assuming only one I'll take DJ Wolfe for some safety depth. He's been great at Oklahoma and gives us a solid player behind Rhodes, and who knows with the success we've had with day 2 safeties he might end up starting next to him. As a converted corner he covers well which is nice as we don't have any real coverage safeties as Elam and Smith are more enforcers and Rhodes does a little everything. I just like the fit. A left guard is nice second day, but if we sign a high profile vet free agent like a Faneca that you guys want what's the point? If we sign him to a big contract he'd better be starting for the entire deal, so we may as well develop a guy towards the tail end of the deal because if we start developing him now he won't be starting till he's like 27. If I had another fifth I'd take Hilee Taylor as a situational pass rusher and a guy to develop as a possible eventual starter behind Bryan Thomas. He's around 6'3 245 and had 10.5 sacks playing defensive end this year but played some standup linebacker as well so he intrigues me. A little undersized but at this point you can't argue with athleticism and production.

In the sixth I'm looking for a guy that helps us with two of our biggest weaknesses, red zone offense and short yardage offense. Jehuu Caulcrick is a big guy at 260 who we can stick into the game in these situations and he'll get the tough yards. The improved line helps, but having a big back that we lack right now would help a lot as well. I already took Morton.

In the seventh I like your secondary pick but I think if we address that we'll do it earlier or perhaps in free agency. Because the QB situation is uncertain I think we take a guy that can be a #3 now and has the tools to be compete for a starting job but could easily turn into nothing as well. Here I'll take Alex Brink who played with nothing at Washington State but has shown some potential. At this point he's probably worth bringing in and we'll see what we can get out of him.

Well there's my take. Out of the other two I certainly perfer hcbrad's to J-Kay's because I like the rounds he addressed our needs in better and prefer a good amount of the players as well.

For future reference (and tell me where I did the same thing I'll try and explain my reasoning) I think you both had some iffy values. J-Kay I think Crable's slipped more to the late second, perhaps even early third. Tevaga is probably more of a 4th now as well, certainly a bit of a reach early third. I also don't see Langford slipping to the 5th as he's more of a 3/4 guy or Morton in the 7th as he's a pretty solid 4 as well. hcbrad I think Nelson's a solid 2 at this point and getting him in the 4th would be a major steal, and as I said with Morton I think he's more of a 4 (and haven't you had him in the 4th in some of your mocks? I thought you had) but to each their own. Just my thoughts. However, those would be fantastic values if those players slipped to those rounds.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
psychosid

After he drops a high 4.3 at the combine, Nelson should (but who knows) be a top 15 pick, so if the jets want him, they have to draft him top 5. Hey, if a slower braylen edwards can be drafted top 5, so can jordy.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Jordy Nelson used to run 100 yard dashes against reggie bush and tie him...Ive serioulsy heard that. I think he can be a day 1 pick, buthhe gets about as much respect as rodney dangerfield

Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM    (permalink
psychosid

hcbrad08, why do u think that is....i think we ALL know the answer ;)
Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

cough white cough

Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
psychosid

lol, nooooo not the NFL...dont ya know hcbrad08, only the "best players will play" lol
Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 AM    (permalink
WildDude
All-Pro

WildDude hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

In the latter rounds i would like us to look at QB for some depth Chad is near the end, Kellen needs some pressure for that starting job and Tuisiopo isnt a 3rd QB IMO, I honestly dont think we should go after Jake Long I mean with D'brickashaw on one side do we really want to invest alot of money and ane early pick into another OT... Our defense looks fine IMO we dont need to waste early picks on it so i really believe Darren McFadden is the answer, his measurables are out of this world and itd b a nice load of Thomas Jones, I wouldnt mind taking Chris Long but would he really fit in Magini's 3-4 scheme?
WildDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I don't want to see QB adressed in any part of this draft, only FA for me. (but that is just my opinion) I don't think we should go after long either, as investing that high of a pick and money into a RT is not close to being worth it. Plus, if he is around when we are picking, which he won't be, but if he is we could definatly find someone to trade up and snag him. If we win this game and are in the 7ish spot we will be able to trade down much more easily than if we were in the top 5. Our defense has looked decent after the bye, again, and its pointing more and more towards sutton getting the axe, but i definately say that Defense should be our first pick. The only scenario that i could see us drafting McFadden would be if we made significant upgrades on the offensive line via free agency; LG & RT. Jake Scott (RG who could most likely play LG, Scott Lilja LG, Stacy Andrews can play both OG and RT etc.) If we can find a guard and a right tackle than i could see the McFadden pick, but i still don't like it that much. It depends on who is still on the board. I am still in love with gholston, but i am eager to see how tommy blake, crable and the other OLB performs at the combine. I also am going to keep an eye on Dre moore, Frank Okam, Kendal Langford and Kentwan Balmer. I have this feeling that if we are at the 7th spot and gholston, Chris Long, Jake Long and McFadden are gone we will look to trade down. Being outside the top 5 we will find it much easier to trade down, possibly someone looking to land Matt Ryan, James Laurinaitis, Sedrick Ellis and possibly keith rivers. The point is i have been reading hundreds of posts and blogs about people saying we should tank this game, which pisses me off to no end, so that we can have a higher pick that gives us a better draft spot and the ability to trade down. Top 5 picks are extremely hard to trade out of and I also found this interesting post about winning the last game of the season;

"I researched all teams that finished 3-13 or 4-12 — one of the two records these Jets will finish with — since the 12-playoff-team era began in 1990 to see if a win in Game 16 was a better predictor of success the next season than a loss.

Apparently, it is. The 41 teams in that category that lost their last game produced a combined record of 275-394-1 the next season. That's a .411 winning percentage that is just a hair better than a 6-9-1 season. Further, only six of those 41 teams qualified for the next postseason, a 14.6 percent success rate.

Then there were 24 such teams that won their 16th games. Their combined record the next season was 189-195, a .492 winning percentage that's just a tick below 8-8. And 10 of those 24 made the playoffs, a 41.7 percent rate."

And for those people who are worried that we can't be competitive next year here are some impressive numbers. I am aware that certain things can be accounted for these numbers; easy schedule, opponents underperformed, certain teams overperformed, drafted impact players etc. but the point is even though we are rebuilding we can still make the playoffs!

Year-----Team-----Record---Next RS------Next PO
1991 San Diego..........4-12......11-5...............1-1
1998 Indianapolis.......3-13......13-3...............0-1
1998 St. Louis............4-1........13-3..............3-0*
1999 New Orleans......3-13.......10-6..............1-1
2003 San Diego..........4-12.......12-4..............0-1
2005 New Orleans......3-13.......10-6..............1-1
2005 JETS.................4-12.......10-6..............0-1

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Last edited by BroadwayJoe10 : 12-29-2007 at 09:36 AM.
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:28 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind seeing QB addressed late day 2, somebody with tools to have as a #3 right now but then leave behind Clemens as a backup if he does well or possibly have him compete with a starting job down the road. Just my take though. Looks like as said we're going to pick seventh, wouldn't mind a win but it is a big slide. Trade down seems like a realistic possibility since somebody could realistically slip to 7 but probably not anybody we'd go after. If we do stick at 7 I have no idea who we'd take. At this point depending on who we trade to pick up extra picks, I have to believe trading up to get Long or Gholston is a realistic possibility as well. We shall see where the speculation goes if we do win and slip down to 7, but it puts us in a very interesting situation.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont really have a concrete mock in mind but i would go something like this
1.gholston-Elite pass rusher that we have lacked for a while
2.If Cherilus is available of I saw Chris Williams of vandy a few times and liked him-need more beef on the o-line
3.Jordy Nelson-I think he could be at least a number 2 in the nfl, but for now could be a slot/red zone threat
4.Frank Morton- I think he falls to the fourth and can be paired with Pouha to shore up the NT position
5.Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-Don't know much about him, but from Scott's scouting report seems to be someone worth a pick this late. According to the report isnt that physical, but Revis and Rhodes can make up for that
6.Gary Barnidge- I don't know that he will fall this far, but I think he could be paired with Baker for a nice tight end combo
7.Eric Foster-I admit I am a huge Rutgers homer, but why not take foster in the 7th? The guy could bulk up and provide depth at outside linebacker or lose some weight and help out at inside linebacker
Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Love the first pick, he is my #1 overall first choice. He will remain my #1 choice unless C.long puts a show on at the combine and if so he probably won't be available.

I like cherilus, but i think chris williams could be good value there as well. It all depends on what we address in FA; Stacy Andrews could make a great RT but also a dominant LG.

I like jordy nelson, but it depends on how our WR group shapes up; i still want to see what stuckey can do and if smith makes any progress with his hands. Coles, Cotchery, Smith, Stuckey and maybe wallace wright seems like an already large group. But, i do like nelson a lot and think he could be a good #2 or good slot reciever. He gets good seperation and thrives off the underneath routes.

I like mortons size, but i havn't seen him play at all so i dont know what kind of value that is in the 4th.

Cromartie is another guy i havn't been able to see, but i think that would be great value in the 5th.

Even though we don't seem to need anymore FB/hback/TE type players, i really do like owen schmitt. I think with a little polish he could become a pretty big weapon.

Good mock, i'll give one once i get a feeling for what we do in free agency. It'll be a lot easier to decide what direction we are gonna go in once we see who we sign; im still hoping for Stacy Andrews and wouldn't mind Randall Raay. I think gaay would be a solid #2 reciever and let poteat play as a nickelback. That would be a solid fairly inexpensive signing that could help shore up the secondary.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote