Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 12-24-2007, 03:32 AM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

zdh87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Chargers '08 Draft?

I have been on pins and needles every time Scott releases a new mock to see what he gives the Chargers, because honestly, for the first time in a 5 years I don't see glaring holes. The wide receiver issue was finally addressed with the additons of Buster Davis/Chris Chambers. It seems we have finally found our CBs in Antonio Cromartie and QJam. We have a ballhawking young S in Eric Weddle. We have ILBs signed to long term deals. My only thought would be RT, as Shane Olivea has lost his starting job in recent weeks, or depth along the D-line. What are your thoughts Chargers Fans?

IN AJ WE TRUST..............
Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.

I think the combo of need and availability later in the first round seem to indicate tackle (Cherilous?). The OTackle class is deep this year, so I could see a legit prospect drop to us (Otah would be a dream!).....especially is any Jr's come out (kids from Miss, and Oklahoma).

The other possibility would be William Moore who is a Jr. Safety for Mizzou, he has a great Bowl Game today......and I could see him playing alongside Weddle someday.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The more I think about it the more I think AJ Smith might entertain the idea of taking a guy like Jacob Hester or Peyton Hillis in the 1st round unless a good tackle or guard fall. One of the main holes I see coming soon is going to be when Lo. Neal retires. That guy is so valuble to our sucess it's crazy. The reason I mention Hillis and Hester is because they probably will not be there in the 4th round and we don't have 2nd or 3rd rounders this year. Both of those guys are crazy talented and could both offer a lot more than Neal currently does on offense with the ball in their hands. Turner (like Cam Cammeron did) seems to love the fulback dump and Neal never looks good when he isn't blocking. It would be a reach for sure but I think with the lack of holes to fill on this team and no other day one picks it could be a justifiable option. Not to mention Lo's broken leg a couple of weeks ago and the fact that next year would be his 17th year in the league I think. Not many careers last that long especially at that position.

With that said... I would love to get any one of Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilous, Frank Okam, or Kentwan Balmer.

I think there could also be the possibility of a total out of the blue wild card like Felix Jones or even Antoine Cason for depth. Jones would be a nice #2 with Michael Turner bouncing this offseason and Cason could be a nickel back and back up for Jammer and Cro or even move to safety (depending on his speed) and take over for McCree down the road.

I wonder if James Laurinatis fell that far if AJ would consider him even with Wilhelm and Cooper playing solid all year long and good depth behind them.
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

for awhile i think the right answer to give when discussing the draft possiblities of the chargers would be something along the lines of, 'no glaring holes, best player'...

..but thats not the case anymore. I guess everyone forgets how bad our safeties are? so we drafted weddle last year.. there are 2 bad safeties on this team, and thats a glaring hole...

..and while im trying to break apart misconceptions.. i think its also fair to say we have a need at cornerback.. we drafted a WR in the first last year with the intention of putting him in the slot.. we need a nickel corner, dflo is garbage and will not be on the team next year.. a quick small guy should do just fine..

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 AM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
for awhile i think the right answer to give when discussing the draft possiblities of the chargers would be something along the lines of, 'no glaring holes, best player'...

..but thats not the case anymore. I guess everyone forgets how bad our safeties are? so we drafted weddle last year.. there are 2 bad safeties on this team, and thats a glaring hole...

..and while im trying to break apart misconceptions.. i think its also fair to say we have a need at cornerback.. we drafted a WR in the first last year with the intention of putting him in the slot.. we need a nickel corner, dflo is garbage and will not be on the team next year.. a quick small guy should do just fine..
The Safety play has been more than decent this year and with the addition of Weddle who is playing most of the nickle situations this season the secondary isn't in dire need. Don't forget that they already drafted Paul Oliver in the Supplemental Draft and they think he will take over for Florence in 2008. That doesn't mean that I'm in love with McCree and Hart or anything but unless we had a shot at Kenny Phillips I can't see them going Safety in the 1st.

I think if you are going to try and pick on any part of this team it would have to be the right side of the offensive line. Goff, Clary/Olivea leave a lot to be desired. There is a reason that LT has all his success running to the left. I think a lot of Rivers problems are attributed to the lack of pass block ability from the line as well. Phillip has virtually ZERO mobility and has not had a decent pocket to throw from all year. I big book end RT would do wonders and allow Clary or Olivea to slide to Guard which I think they are both suited better for anyways.
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
The more I think about it the more I think AJ Smith might entertain the idea of taking a guy like Jacob Hester or Peyton Hillis in the 1st round unless a good tackle or guard fall. One of the main holes I see coming soon is going to be when Lo. Neal retires. That guy is so valuble to our sucess it's crazy. The reason I mention Hillis and Hester is because they probably will not be there in the 4th round and we don't have 2nd or 3rd rounders this year. Both of those guys are crazy talented and could both offer a lot more than Neal currently does on offense with the ball in their hands. Turner (like Cam Cammeron did) seems to love the fulback dump and Neal never looks good when he isn't blocking. It would be a reach for sure but I think with the lack of holes to fill on this team and no other day one picks it could be a justifiable option. Not to mention Lo's broken leg a couple of weeks ago and the fact that next year would be his 17th year in the league I think. Not many careers last that long especially at that position.

With that said... I would love to get any one of Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilous, Frank Okam, or Kentwan Balmer.

I think there could also be the possibility of a total out of the blue wild card like Felix Jones or even Antoine Cason for depth. Jones would be a nice #2 with Michael Turner bouncing this offseason and Cason could be a nickel back and back up for Jammer and Cro or even move to safety (depending on his speed) and take over for McCree down the road.

I wonder if James Laurinatis fell that far if AJ would consider him even with Wilhelm and Cooper playing solid all year long and good depth behind them.

That is a really good thought. I have not even considered that, because LoNeal is such a fixture I can't imagine us without him. He is getting less and less flexible, and this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have kind of a wild thought: What if we traded out of the 1st, and to get another 2nd and drafted Owen Schmitt. I watched the WV and OU game last night and he is versatile and a killer blocker. I can only imagine what Norv could do with a FB who can block AND catch-and-run with speed.

Considering our lack of major holes, I think we all should consider the possibility of trading out of the first and getting a 2nd rounder and 1st next year. 2nd Rounders are starters in the NFL and look what we have done with 2nd rounders in our recent past: Eric Weddle, Marcus McNeil, Vincent Jackson. Desperate teams will sell their souls to get back into the first.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

Yeah I like Schmidt too. I think trading out of the 1st with a bad team for a 1next year might be an interesting option. Worked out nicely for the Patriots this year. Not too mention all the fullbacks and a couple of decently rated O-line guys should be there.

I like that idea a lot!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Yeah I like Schmidt too. I think trading out of the 1st with a bad team for a 1next year might be an interesting option. Worked out nicely for the Patriots this year. Not too mention all the fullbacks and a couple of decently rated O-line guys should be there.

I like that idea a lot!
trading down is alot harder than it sounds..most teams would rather trade down, few look to trade up... odds are we'll have that 1st pick...

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

It all depends on who is there really. Last year it was Brady Quinn and Joe Staley. Few do look to trade up but it stills happens every year.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
trading down is alot harder than it sounds..most teams would rather trade down, few look to trade up... odds are we'll have that 1st pick...
With lack of quality prospects this year it will be even harder to trade down. The difference between the top rated prospect at a position and the tenth rated prospect at that position isn't as great as was in previous years.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

It is difficult to trade down; however, with great depth in the OT class this year, we could get a good RT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdh87 View Post
It is difficult to trade down; however, with great depth in the OT class this year, we could get a good RT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
I don't think the Chargers have any picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They gave up a 2nd for Chris Chambers and i thought they gave up their 3rd in the deal to get Weddle.

With that said, I think the Chargers have to go OT in round one. The OL hasn't been as good this year as it was last year and it shows. LT is getting routinely stopped at the line of scrimmage. A mauler like Gosder Cherilus would be really good at the end of the 1st round if he was available.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I don't think the Chargers have any picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They gave up a 2nd for Chris Chambers and i thought they gave up their 3rd in the deal to get Weddle.

With that said, I think the Chargers have to go OT in round one. The OL hasn't been as good this year as it was last year and it shows. LT is getting routinely stopped at the line of scrimmage. A mauler like Gosder Cherilus would be really good at the end of the 1st round if he was available.
I disagree. I think we go NT or safety in the first round. I think that Jerome Clary is actually doing an excellent job at RT. His run blocking needs to improve, but his pass protection is light years ahead of Olivea.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I disagree. I think we go NT or safety in the first round. I think that Jerome Clary is actually doing an excellent job at RT. His run blocking needs to improve, but his pass protection is light years ahead of Olivea.
Problem is that there aren't any NTs or safeties worth taking in round 1. After Kenny Phillips, the safeties drop off like crazy. This draft also doesn't really have any true NTs and the Chargers could get a real stud next year when Terrence Taylor, BJ Raji, Ron Brace, Marlon Favorite, and Terrill Byrd are all seniors
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

They seem to be pretty high on Brandon McKinney behind Jamal Williams so something tells me they will wait on a NT. I think if one of the big OT's is there they might go that direction. They could also attempt to move up and get a safety like Kenny Phillips because I think an above average safety could make this secondary one of the tops in the league. With that said they don't have a whole lot of ammo to move up with no picks in rounds 2-4. They definitely will not go linebacker and I don't see them going reciever either so unless someone just really blows them away at a position that isn't a need I would expect OT or S being the targets.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post

I was still going on the hypothetical of trading out of the 1st round. I do agree though that a NT is needed because Jamal Williams is the most important player on the D. Without him, in the 2nd half against the Colts, it was a different running defense for us. He eats blockers and we need depth.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdh87 View Post
I was still going on the hypothetical of trading out of the 1st round. I do agree though that a NT is needed because Jamal Williams is the most important player on the D. Without him, in the 2nd half against the Colts, it was a different running defense for us. He eats blockers and we need depth.
Too bad there are no real 3-4 NTs in this draft. You're going to have to wait until 09 to get a good one
Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default OT or Safety/Corner Combo

I really disagree with Scott on our pick, I think he just wants Balmer in the first round cuz he thinks he is that talented (McShay has him at #10 in the first round!). It doesn't fit our need, yes Castillo has been hurt, but AJ extended Binghom and he loves Cesaire, and they filled in admirably on Castillo's ankles in 2006-7 injuries.

I think guys like Chris Williams, a potential RT......Carl Nicks, who may be a more prototype RT are possibilities for us. I am really disappointed Oher didn't declare cuz that could have pushed down Cherilous to us.

But the other possiblity would be a safety/corner to replace DFlo. Reggie Smith played corner for OU this year but started out at safety. Talib may not time fast enough to be high in the first. I know Oliver is the logical guy to step in, but line 'em up 3 deep comes to mind for this important cover position in our D. The third possiblity would be Godfrey from Iowa, whose measurables may sway AJ into taking another "risk" ala Cromartie.

I just think the eventual replacement for Goff will be Olivea (if he works hard and earns it), so they need some tackle depth behind Clary, which is where a guy like Carl Nicks could eventually take over......I like his run blocking resume.....and so would LT!
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
PhillyChargerFan

I think our first pick has to be RT, Olivea or Clary can move inside. I don't think AJ will go CB because we took Oliver in the Supp, but I have heard "rumors" that we will look to put Oliver at safety. There is also a dark horse pick and that will be RB. Sproles just isn't a banger, we need someone to spell LT and get the tough yards. I've seen a yahoo mock that has us taking the kid form Oregon his name escapes me. But I don't see him lasting till our pick.

We also have about 33 mill in cap space (according to Clayton) so it wouldn't surprise me to see AJ go to the FA market for a RT or even a RG. Two names that come to mind are Womack (Seattle RT, but he did have a domestic abuse case) and Fancea (SP) from Pitt.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't know what we'll address first, but I know we need a running back. Is this a draft where we might pick up a potential successor to LT? Just a thought, or do we just pick up a late round running back as a solid back up?
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

I think that the best three players that will likely be around when we pick are Reggie Smith, Dominique Rodgers-Cromarite and Gosder Cherilus. Everybody keeps giving us Balmer but I don't think DE is a need at all because Cesaire and Bingham are both very capable backups.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
I think that the best three players that will likely be around when we pick are Reggie Smith, Dominique Rodgers-Cromarite and Gosder Cherilus. Everybody keeps giving us Balmer but I don't think DE is a need at all because Cesaire and Bingham are both very capable backups.
i really agree with you here...Cherilus is probably the guy i would want the most right now...Senior Bowl has helped his stock a lot, is a perfect fit at RT and is a steal at 27. Cromartie would be sweet he is pushing for my #1 corner in my mind right now...

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote