Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mike Singletary

Looks like he is the front runner for our head coaching spot. I'm all for it.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Falcons have been looking into the background of 49ers assistant head coach/linebackers Mike Singletary and could set up an interview with him shortly.

Schefter says owner Arthur Blank wants to make a "big splash" with his next head coach, and Samurai Mike would qualify. Singletary, who interviewed for the Cowboys and Chargers' coaching gigs in early 2007, has played a big role in the development of likely Defensive Rookie of the Year Patrick Willis.

PER ROTOWORLD.COM

Singletary interested in Falcons job
Ex-NFL great feels ready to be an NFL head coach

By JEFF SCHULTZ
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/28/07

If there was any question that Mike Singletary might be interested in becoming the Falcons' next coach, he put that to rest Thursday night.

"Sure I would absolutely," the San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach said by phone when asked if he would like the job. "The one thing I've learned is it's hard to become a head coach. But I feel I'm ready now. I know I'm ready."
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Sounds good to me, if he wants to put his heart in it and give us all he's got, I'll back him up, no matter who he is.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hmmm. looks like he wants the job... didn't I tell you guys that he was Blank's first reasonable choice (cause I never thought Blank would actually try to bring in Parcells, Cowher or Schotty) but what this could mean is that McKay is staying on as GM. and that we will be drafting for Hue J and Zimmer as our OC and DC and jusr replace the position coaches who left and/or are from Louisvlle.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he'd be a great hire, however, I worry about his ability to coach an entire team. I think he'd make an excellent defensive coordinator, especially if Marty is in the running. Imagine Singletary running a Schottenheimer D.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I think he'd be a great hire, however, I worry about his ability to coach an entire team. I think he'd make an excellent defensive coordinator, especially if Marty is in the running. Imagine Singletary running a Schottenheimer D.
or imagine a creative new defense that Singletary (who knows the 4-3, 3-4 and 46 because he has coached or played in all 3) and Zimmer (who knows the 4-3 and 3-4 very well) created a scheme for the talent that the team has? it woudl be amazing. Keep Hue Jackson with the scheme that he used against Arizona where we spread it out against them and I think Singletary would be great for us. Let's not go for the big hire right now. Let's just keep the majority of what we have, keep the OC and DC, bring in the players we need and Singletary and replace some position coaches and we'll be fine.
my recommendation for coaches (new in bold):
HC - Mike Singletary (master motivator, knows defensive schemes like hte back of his hand and will help the entire team get up for games. I just hope he makes good halftime adjustments. Also, for tose that don't think he's a coordinator need to check again, he is the Assistant Head Coach in charge of Defense. fancy title for a Defensive Coordinator.)

OC - Hue Jackson (helps the WR's easy, a good scheme and I hope we can run his offense he showed against AZ a lot more)
QB - Bill Musgrave (knows his stuff about QB's and will help the mechanics o any QB easily, also a former OC who can help QB's learn how to read the playbooks and will be very helpful for a new QB we draft)
RB - Ollie Wilson (our RB's did fine if they had the blocking, that's more an OL issue than a RB issue)
WR - Billy "White Shoes" Johnson (He knows route running, catching and could help with returning during ST times, I like him in this lateral move)
TE - Keith Rowen (former Cards OC only left because of the Whis moving into AZ, I think he would be fine if Crump layed off the cookies)
OL - Art Shell (former HC, but he has the knowledge to give us a good run blocking scheme using his in-line blocking and his pass blocking is what helped us win the NFC in 1998)

DC - Mike Zimmer (I love his sceme though he is too conservative at times. He does do a lot of zero coverage blitzes and under Singletary I could see the team being more agressive, and the defense being amazing.)
DL - Jason Tarver (the token tag along coach. I think going from OLB's in a 3-4 to 4-3 DE's will be very helpful for us. we'll get much better pass rush and going from a defensive asistant spot that he's in to a full DL coach will be an ugrade for him.)
LB - Jesse Tuggle (wanna know a player Tuggle coached? Keith Brooking. I think he would be a great influence on our young LB corps and will allow us to have a Falcon great give back.)
DB - Emmitt Thomas (the DB's weren't bad and when a guy is looked at for HC spots from his DB coaches spot he must be a good coach)

STC - Jerry Rosburg

S&C - Marcus & Puloka

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
or imagine a creative new defense that Singletary (who knows the 4-3, 3-4 and 46 because he has coached or played in all 3) and Zimmer (who knows the 4-3 and 3-4 very well) created a scheme for the talent that the team has? it woudl be amazing. Keep Hue Jackson with the scheme that he used against Arizona where we spread it out against them and I think Singletary would be great for us. Let's not go for the big hire right now. Let's just keep the majority of what we have, keep the OC and DC, bring in the players we need and Singletary and replace some position coaches and we'll be fine.
my recommendation for coaches (new in bold):
HC - Mike Singletary (master motivator, knows defensive schemes like hte back of his hand and will help the entire team get up for games. I just hope he makes good halftime adjustments. Also, for tose that don't think he's a coordinator need to check again, he is the Assistant Head Coach in charge of Defense. fancy title for a Defensive Coordinator.)

OC - Hue Jackson (helps the WR's easy, a good scheme and I hope we can run his offense he showed against AZ a lot more)
QB - Bill Musgrave (knows his stuff about QB's and will help the mechanics o any QB easily, also a former OC who can help QB's learn how to read the playbooks and will be very helpful for a new QB we draft)
RB - Ollie Wilson (our RB's did fine if they had the blocking, that's more an OL issue than a RB issue)
WR - Billy "White Shoes" Johnson (He knows route running, catching and could help with returning during ST times, I like him in this lateral move)
TE - Keith Rowen (former Cards OC only left because of the Whis moving into AZ, I think he would be fine if Crump layed off the cookies)
OL - Art Shell (former HC, but he has the knowledge to give us a good run blocking scheme using his in-line blocking and his pass blocking is what helped us win the NFC in 1998)

DC - Mike Zimmer (I love his sceme though he is too conservative at times. He does do a lot of zero coverage blitzes and under Singletary I could see the team being more agressive, and the defense being amazing.)
DL - Jason Tarver (the token tag along coach. I think going from OLB's in a 3-4 to 4-3 DE's will be very helpful for us. we'll get much better pass rush and going from a defensive asistant spot that he's in to a full DL coach will be an ugrade for him.)
LB - Jesse Tuggle (wanna know a player Tuggle coached? Keith Brooking. I think he would be a great influence on our young LB corps and will allow us to have a Falcon great give back.)
DB - Emmitt Thomas (the DB's weren't bad and when a guy is looked at for HC spots from his DB coaches spot he must be a good coach)

STC - Jerry Rosburg

S&C - Marcus & Puloka
Only if you were in charge of coaching. I would hate to face the Falcons.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

you serious? cause I kinda just tried to pick realistic moves for any of them. and I like who we have right now at the coordinator spots with the spread passing Hue Jackson does (cause he loves WR's and wants to get them the ball a lot)

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love the look of that Scar...looks really on point to me. It's pretty phenomenal to see what COULD be, I don't think Art would come in as something that low, but it'd be cool if he decided to. I'm looking forward to see what happens...I'd love to keep our current coordinators, Hugh really impressed me with putting a play book together in 2 weeks...people forget that he didn't have Petrino's play sheet, that went with him to Arkansas, so when he jumped ship on us, he had NO time to put together a playbook and look how well he adjusted from week 1 to week 2. He made Redman a 300 yard passer and Robinson a 100 yard receiver and used his speed...I mean it was nice to see. Got Roddy the ball gave him shots deep, but got the ball in his hands and let him make plays, which he in turn did.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, someone who doesn't reject the idea of coaching the Falcons.

It's a frickin miracle.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Wow, someone who doesn't reject the idea of coaching the Falcons.

It's a frickin miracle.
yeah but Singletary is who we were going to get all along. Cowher and Schotty and Parcells were never realistic options. and I could easily see us keeping McKay now that PArcells dissed us.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I don't want to keep McKay I want a new philosophy
Old 12-28-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
yeah but Singletary is who we were going to get all along. Cowher and Schotty and Parcells were never realistic options. and I could easily see us keeping McKay now that PArcells dissed us.
I disagree. If Cowher would have came out of retirement we would have snagged him. And Schottenheimer was likely in our top 5.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

One slight problem with our search for a new GM before the draft:

According to a Dallas Morning News article:

"Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Friday he isn't worried about losing Ireland, who is highly regarded across the league.

"In personnel, no one can leave until after the draft," Jones said. "The only thing I'm concerned about in personnel is that we get the benefit of all the work that's been done to run our draft. As far as sitting there with personnel, someone being given an opportunity to be a general manager or the opportunity to be over there, I'll help him.

"If Jeff got a chance to advance himself, then I'm all for it." "

I'm not sure JJ is right that no one currently employed in personnel can leave to become a GM before the draft, but if he is, that would be a major annoyance. We'd be limited to guys who are presently unemployed, unless we're willing to let McKay deal with FA and the draft for this final year - which rather defeats the point of getting a new GM...
Old 12-29-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Aren't assistent GMs allowed to leave? In example Tim Ruskell?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I disagree. If Cowher would have came out of retirement we would have snagged him. And Schottenheimer was likely in our top 5.
and what I'm saying it wasn't realistic at all for us. They are retired and neither was coming otu of retirement.

Owner of ScarDraft