Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Time is money my friend, time is money. Have your parents ever made you stay home on a weekend to wait for a repair guy to come? I know I have. They always schedule it to for like 8am and I would much rather be sleeping. I dont even own the house but I get stuck waiting around and the guys never come when they say they would.
hahaha, "time is money". You get that from a Simpsons episode? Seriously, that motto is ridiculous
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
Well i'm sorry but in my opinion, that arguement is just plain wrong. Upkeep of a house is not as important as you say it is. It's all location, and only location (unless you're buying and renting it out). And doesn't the bit about being able to buy less with your money right now than you could 10 years ago kind of destroy your own arguement?
Exactly! What if you buy in the wrong location? You arent going to make a big return if any.

My argument was renting so I dont see how it destroys it. You sign a contract and that is how much you pay during the terms of the contract whether or not inflation went up or down.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 01-06-2008 at 10:00 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
hahaha, "time is money". You get that from a Simpsons episode? Seriously, that motto is ridiculous
It could be from the Simpsons episode but its a true motto. If you are wasting time then what is the opportunity cost? You could be working and making money, so in essence time is money.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly! What if you buy in the wrong location? You arent going to make a big return if any.

My argument was renting so I dont see how it destroys it. You sign a contract and that is how much you pay during the terms of the contract whether or not inflation went up or down.
Yeah and the people renting you these houses generally give you 12 or 24 month contracts so they can put up the price to match demand (which generally exceeds inflation anyway)
Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
It could be from the Simpsons episode but its a true motto. If you are wasting time then what is the opportunity cost? You could be working and making money, so in essence time is money.
In a simple economics course they will discuss opportunity cost within an economy and how much it costs the community; be it local, national or international. They will also discuss how opportunity cost does not strictly apply to labour, but also the opportunity cost of money amongst other things. This means that while you have your money in your savings account with your 4.3% return pa and renting paying $100's a week on an investment with no return your money could be invested in a property in which you can live. The opportunity cost (thought i'd involve that cause you seem to think you understand the concept) of your money being thrown away on rent is huge. You transfer your rental expense to interest and miscellaneous expenses and amazingly after 25 or so years you will have an asset worth millions of dollars (assuming the same rate of inflation, real value of money etc.). Just a bizarre theory that i came up with...oh wait, people have been doing that for 50+ years. weird
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah and the people renting you these houses generally give you 12 or 24 month contracts so they can put up the price to match demand (which generally exceeds inflation anyway)
Very true. Its hard to be an aparment manager because its so hard to guess inflation. You want to keep it cheap but you also dont want inflation to rise and be stuck with not much of a return.

Is there a property tax in Australia because there is one here in the US. The property tax is a lot more expensive than cost of rent that might exceed inflation.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
Very true. Its hard to be an aparment manager because its so hard to guess inflation. You want to keep it cheap but you also dont want inflation to rise and be stuck with not much of a return.

Is there a property tax in Australia because there is one here in the US. The property tax is a lot more expensive than cost of rent that might exceed inflation.
You need to rethink that statement, cause what it looks like from here is that you're just using big words without fully comprehending the meaning of them
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
In a simple economics course they will discuss opportunity cost within an economy and how much it costs the community; be it local, national or international. They will also discuss how opportunity cost does not strictly apply to labour, but also the opportunity cost of money amongst other things. This means that while you have your money in your savings account with your 4.3% return pa and renting paying $100's a week on an investment with no return your money could be invested in a property in which you can live. The opportunity cost (thought i'd involve that cause you seem to think you understand the concept) of your money being thrown away on rent is huge. You transfer your rental expense to interest and miscellaneous expenses and amazingly after 25 or so years you will have an asset worth millions of dollars (assuming the same rate of inflation, real value of money etc.). Just a bizarre theory that i came up with...oh wait, people have been doing that for 50+ years. weird
Opportunity cost does apply to labor. It applies to whatever you could be doing with your money/time. If you took an economics course you might know that. How do I know that....oh wait, I have a degree in Economics.

Once again, its IMPOSSIBLE to know which one is better. I looked up the value of my parents place and it has gone up about $500 over what my parents paid for it 16 years ago. Want to explain that buddy?

Last edited by jayceheathman : 01-06-2008 at 10:42 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
You need to rethink that statement, cause what it looks like from here is that you're just using big words without fully comprehending the meaning of them
Do you believe the stuff you are saying? My friends that have a house are paying $5,000 a month alone on property tax. One month of tax could last me a year of renting.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
Opportunity cost does apply to labor. It applies to whatever you could be doing with your money/time. If you took an economics course you might know that. How do I know that....oh wait, I will have a degree in Economics.

Once again, its IMPOSSIBLE to know which one is better. I looked up the value of my parents place and it has gone up about $500 over what my parents paid for it 16 years ago. Want to explain that buddy?
i never said it didn't, i said it also applys to money, something you seem to be ignoring or just not comprehending. And i've done microeconomics, macroeconomics and macroeconomics II at university so stop acting high and mighty cause we are clearly 2 kids that don't really know what we're talking about, just so happens i know marginally more than you.

I'd love to explain it, but i'm fairly certain the only way i could explain would be by offending you, so i won't.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
Do you believe the stuff you are saying? My friends that have a house are paying $5,000 a month alone on property tax. One month of tax could last me a year of renting.
$60 000 a year in property tax? Could someone with a bit more knowledge of the US property market please tell me that can't be true unless your friends just bought Shaq's old house

And whatever you say about your friends house and ridiculous property tax doesn't make that previous statement i highlighted any more coherent.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
$60 000 a year in property tax? Could someone with a bit more knowledge of the US property market please tell me that can't be true unless your friends just bought Shaq's old house

And whatever you say about your friends house and ridiculous property tax doesn't make that previous statement i highlighted any more coherent.
They paid close to or around $250,000. I think I am going to believe the people that get the bill over some 19 year old wannabe financial analyst.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

i have no faith that number is true. no one pays 60k bucks in property tax a year. i know in FL they don't even have property tax. not that that applies to this, just saying. i don't believe his friends pay 5 grand a month for property tax.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
. They will also discuss how opportunity cost does not strictly apply to labour
Quote:
i never said it didn't.
0'RLLY?....
Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
They paid close to or around $250,000. I think I am going to believe the people that get the bill over some 19 year old wannabe financial analyst.
Considering you're arguing terribly against 'some 19 year old wannabe financial analyst' i don't think you should be acting as cool as you are.

But please, tell me your position in life that allowed you to gain all this knowledge on the financial world, 20 year old college student without a lick of practical knowledge?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
0'RLLY?....
Dear god you just embarrassed yourself, it would seem you need a lesson in simple comprehension as well as one in economics
Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
i have no faith that number is true. no one pays 60k bucks in property tax a year. i know in FL they don't even have property tax. not that that applies to this, just saying. i don't believe his friends pay 5 grand a month for property tax.
Why thankyou. I just had a strange thought that paying nearly 1/4 of the total cost of a property in property tax annually seemed a bit off...no idea why
Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Considering you're arguing terribly against 'some 19 year old wannabe financial analyst' i don't think you should be acting as cool as you are.

But please, tell me your position in life that allowed you to gain all this knowledge on the financial world, 20 year old college student without a lick of practical knowledge?
Try someone that graduated in Economics with a 3.8 GPA and is now in grad school.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Dear god you just embarrassed yourself, it would seem you need a lesson in simple comprehension as well as one in economics
I am getting a tip on how to be cool by an Aussie. haha
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Why thankyou. I just had a strange thought that paying nearly 1/4 of the total cost of a property in property tax annually seemed a bit off...no idea why
I will admit, I made that sh*t up. I dont know how much he pays in property tax but he is always complaining about it.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
I am getting a tip on how to be cool by an Aussie. haha
And you continue to embarrass yourself by bringing up irrelavent points as you realise your arguement is terrible.
Congrats on your 3.8 GPA and grad school...you're the man.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
I will admit, I made that sh*t up. I dont know how much he pays in property tax but he is always complaining about it.
He complains about it?! It must be closer to $100 000 pa
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
And you continue to embarrass yourself by bringing up irrelavent points as you realise your arguement is terrible.
Congrats on your 3.8 GPA and grad school...you're the man.
The point I made before wasnt irrelevant. You said you never stated opportunity cost as being something that involved labor when you did.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I dont even know what we are arguing about anymore.

The fact of the matter is that its impossible to know which one is better at the time. It depends on the persons situation and a lot of luck.

If your company was 80% right then everyone would take their money out of the stock market, head to Australia and start buying land.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

Quote:
The point I made before wasnt irrelevant. You said you never stated opportunity cost as being something that involved labor when you did.
Sorry, but i actually said it involves more than just labour as the expression 'time is money' would imply.

Aren't you embarrassed by the way you argue points?