Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Airborne
Rookie

Airborne hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default The Rexmeister of Ortonman? Take your pick.

If you were Chicago, who would you rather have as your starting quarterback come next year, Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton? Orton has shown some improvement over his last few starts and Rex, well, Rex always has plenty of potential. It's just the rest of the baggage...
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bears need to bring in a new QB in the off-season. They don't have a starting caliber QB on their roster.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

I wouldnt expect the Bears to do much more next yea r than they did this year. I see them using one of the two, I think they should go with Orton, then possibly draft a QB this year, then groom him for about a year before he is ready. I guess, there is also a chance of McNabb going to Chicago, which could or could not work out for them.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I would have someone else starting for me.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'll be starting Chad Pennington next year! Mark it down!
Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't Pennington have a monster contract? He would add more constinency though i'll give him that. What would the Jets want for him. I wouldn't give up 3rd for him.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
They'll be starting Chad Pennington next year! Mark it down!
yuck... I have a better arm then him.

Competition between Orton and Grossman with Flacco drafted in the 2nd.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about....1st half Orton 2nd Half Grossman?^^

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kyle Orton, by far. If we fix the holes on the offensive line, upgrade at running back, and add a receiver Orton can handle the job. He's shown that he can win with this team, or at least not lose. Although we have to bring in a Qb to compete, I wouldn't pick one up in the first or maybe even the second, I'd wait and see who falls, who rises, maybe trade back into the second if Flacco is still there at the end of the round. I don't want us to bring in a guy like McNabb or Pennington, we can't keep picking Qb's up off the scrap heap, they've had limited success elsewhere, and this is where Qb's come to die. Jerry Angelo should have learned his lesson after Kordell Stewart, and Brian Greise.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will take Orton. If he works on his accuracy, which is almost on par with Grossmans for the season, I think Orton could be a solid player. We dont need a QB that will throw for 250-300yrds a game, we need a guy who can put up maybe around 200 a game with a TD or 2 and minimal turnovers. I made a thread over at the Bears message board comparing Orton to David Gerrard of the Jaguars (minus the athletiscm, more on playing style). I think thats the type of QB we need, someone who doesnt make mistakes (Gerrard had 4ints this season, 2500 passing yards, 18TDs, and a passer rating of 100+). I would be happy with that type of production out of KO (though would not be that good unless he seriously improves). KO I bet could be a 12-18TD guy w/ maybe 6-9ints in a season. I would gladly take a 2:1 ratio over Grossmans essentially 1:1 in the 2006 season in which everyone bases all their Grossman love off of.

*also, season stat comparisons just to throw them out there. I know one season is nothing to base anything off of, but I just thought it was interesting that Orton had an avg of 1td per start, and Grossman had a .5avg TD per start.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?...elect+a+Player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Last edited by bearfan : 01-01-2008 at 11:26 PM.
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder about J.P Losman's availablity, there have been rumors surrounding him all season and the job in Buffalo appears to be Edwards'. I would consider giving up a 4th rounder for him if his contract his reasonable (don't know off the top of my head). I'm not sold on Orton at this point, and would prefer Losman over Grossman.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

eh. i like grossman. i look for him to start at the top of the depth chart next preseason (preseason kids). i don't think this year a rookie QB will start nor will anyone bring in mcnabb nor derek anderson nor chad pennington (we already have a noodlearm in the way of brian griese)

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

orton can has proven that he can, at the very least, protect the football. something grossman has never been able to do. (when rex is at QB, i sometimes wonder if 'fumble the snap' is actually a play in the g*d*mn playbook...)

orton ftw

but they do need to draft someone in the first 3 rounds to groom for a year (or however long orton holds down the job)

with some revamping of the o-line and a healthy D, orton only has to be average and the bears are back in playoff contention IMO
Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a tough call because Grossman showed improvement after he came back, even though it looks like fumbles are going to be a problem for him. Orton has the stuff, not as good an arm as Grossman, but if he gets more accurate, he could cut it.
A quarterback has to be drafted, but given the choice with these two, I would say Grossman, but he would have to win an open competition between him and Orton.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
This is a tough call because Grossman showed improvement after he came back, even though it looks like fumbles are going to be a problem for him. Orton has the stuff, not as good an arm as Grossman, but if he gets more accurate, he could cut it.
A quarterback has to be drafted, but given the choice with these two, I would say Grossman, but he would have to win an open competition between him and Orton.
im not against signing grossman to a one or two year deal if he hits the market and doesn't find any suitors.

and i've noticed a lot of people really like his arm, but i just don't see it...his deep passes tend to flutter and drift a little more than i would like...idk...

but i think the bears QB situation should look like this headed into next year:

1.) Orton
2.) Grossman/FA
3.) QB drafted in the first 3 rounds
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Orton's pass to Hester although it wasnt that deep. I think he put it into the right place

Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
I liked Orton's pass to Hester although it wasnt that deep. I think he put it into the right place
i agree. ill sacrifice some arm strength if it means orton will be a better handler of the footall...something grossman never could do
Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Orton can have a David Garrard esque season next year.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

We need a QB that doesnt turn the ball over. We dont need no freakin Playmaker like Manning who throws it through an eye of a needle.

We really need a David Garrard.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I wonder about J.P Losman's availablity, there have been rumors surrounding him all season and the job in Buffalo appears to be Edwards'. I would consider giving up a 4th rounder for him if his contract his reasonable (don't know off the top of my head). I'm not sold on Orton at this point, and would prefer Losman over Grossman.
Lossman and Grossman are basically the exact same type of QB. If you trade for Lossman, (who has one more year left on his contract) then you are basically replacing Grossman with another Grossman. Whats the point?

JP just likes to throw deep when he gets it, he never hits the checkdown, and has trouble with trying to thread the ball in tight spots when he obviously isnt able to. I would take Orton, or either make an offer for Mcnabb or draft someone. No point in replacing nothing with nothing.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
Lossman and Grossman are basically the exact same type of QB. If you trade for Lossman, (who has one more year left on his contract) then you are basically replacing Grossman with another Grossman. Whats the point?

JP just likes to throw deep when he gets it, he never hits the checkdown, and has trouble with trying to thread the ball in tight spots when he obviously isnt able to. I would take Orton, or either make an offer for Mcnabb or draft someone. No point in replacing nothing with nothing.
i dont think id want to touch mcnabb. the eagles want way too much for him and hes never impressed me with his play. that on top of the fact that hes injury prone...

id rather bring back grossman for a year that trade for either mcnabb or losman
Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Orton for me, with Grossman backing him up. Then just keep Griese for one more year just to hav 3 QBs. For awhile I thought Erik Ainge could be good but I dont like him anymore, none of the big three excite me, and im not a guy who wants to try and bring in a 1AA guy in Flacco especially with our track record with QBs. So wait a year until hopefully a better class comes out.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only problem I see w/ bringing Grossman back is that it would be a "fight for the job" in TC. We all know this would not be the case, and that Lovie would hand the job right to Rex b/c Rex is his QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
i agree. ill sacrifice some arm strength if it means orton will be a better handler of the footall...something grossman never could do
orton has a stronger arm than grossman. stronger. grossman will throw the ball deeper, better, but on out routes, orton has a stronger arm. and intermediate routes, which it's really more necessary to have the strong arm, we don't call deep plays every PA-pass... you need that arm to put the ball from point a to point b quick enough to not have people step in front of it. i.e. brian griese... noodlearm.

edit: if we pick up joe flacco or andre woodson, i have yet to trust the bears ability to groom a qb. meaning i'd only be okay with picking up: booty, ryan, or brohm. i don't even like brohm in this place though. ainge would be OKAY. and *gag* i can't believe i'm saying this, chad henne too. but. matt ryan would be my top pick on QB's. i think he's the real deal, is he going to be getabble? maybe. i mean. we'll. well. i don't know. yet. lemme think.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Last edited by awfullyquiet : 01-04-2008 at 05:00 PM.
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea, we need to draft a low ceiling high floor QB that requires as little development as possible. We don't need a superstar here, just someone who can make some throws and put take advantage of the amazing field position we get every damn play.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote