Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
I'm seeing Cladwell over Garrett, and Spagnuolo was blocked.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Spagnuolo is just waiting on the playoffs.

Edit: And he would be someone I love to bring in. I've always been a big fan of the Eagles agressive blitzing.

Last edited by ATLDirtyBirds : 01-09-2008 at 08:47 PM.
ATLDirtyBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure Spagnuolo is just waiting on the playoffs.

Edit: And he would be someone I love to bring in. I've always been a big fan of the Eagles agressive blitzing.

Exactly, they just don't want him distracted amidst planning for the playoff game. Once they lose he will be allowed to interview.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure we've got some coaches off our list. Mike Singletary might be off the list already because if we wanted him, we could of signed him by now right? It's not like San Fransisco is in the playoffs.

The combo I wanted to rebuild this team was Marty Schottenheimer at HC, Buddy Nix at GM, Cam Cameron at OC (to be our head coach), and maybe that Jags' DC.

I haven't been caught up with the news like you guys have though, so I might be very off.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLibid View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure we've got some coaches off our list. Mike Singletary might be off the list already because if we wanted him, we could of signed him by now right? It's not like San Fransisco is in the playoffs.
I think Arthur Blank is taking his time and making sure it is a comprehensive search. This hiring has to go well, otherwise this franchise will be on the precipice of becoming 'East Oakland.'

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLibid View Post

The combo I wanted to rebuild this team was Marty Schottenheimer at HC, Buddy Nix at GM, Cam Cameron at OC (to be our head coach), and maybe that Jags' DC.

I haven't been caught up with the news like you guys have though, so I might be very off.
why would the jags DC leave to go to the same position with the falcons?

with the lack of coaching changes i dont see many DC's movin around for the same job
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jaguars' defensive coordinator Mike Smith to be interviewed for Falcons' head coaching vacancy, as well as Jaguars' director of college scouting Gene Smith for their GM job:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...34574110.shtml

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good to see that the Falcons aren't rushing into anything and are being very, very thorough. It is possible that they got in trouble with Mora and Petrino by getting locked in too early on one guy. I commend them.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Mara withdrew his name from the GM pool...tough break for you guys. Looks like he wasn't gonna get the power he wanted...meaning it looks like Carrol is going to get the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...book-upon.html

Looks like the Reggie Bush payola scandal is about to break in LA. If I were Pete Carroll, I'd jump to the NFL for millions and to get away from that mess as well...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
HECKERT, DIMITROFF ARE BELIEVED TO BE FALCONS' FINALISTS
We're told that the finalists for the "G.M. Lite" job in Atlanta are believed to be Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert and Pats Director of College Scouting Tom Dimitroff.
If/when a hire is made, it essentially slams the door on any possibility of USC coach Pete Carroll getting the coach job, since he'd most likely want G.M. powers if/when he returns to the NFL.
We're also told that, if Heckert gets the G.M. job, he'll pursue Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for the head-coaching position.
Finally, though many league observers believe that the successor to Heckert in Philly will be V.P. of player personnel Jason Licht, look for V.P. of football administration Howie Roseman to get the nod as G.M., even though Roseman isn't a "football guy."
That is from PFT.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Mara withdrew his name from the GM pool...tough break for you guys. Looks like he wasn't gonna get the power he wanted...meaning it looks like Carrol is going to get the job.
I usually enjoy reading what you post but just because one guy doesn't get the power he wants doesn't mean Carroll is going to jump on board. The guy may just not have been the GM the Falcons are looking for, and we are still very likely to give the GM power. Maybe you didn't see it but on the 4th page there was an article linking to Carroll saying he didn't have interest in the position.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
That is from PFT.

What do we know about Dimtrioff?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

He's the head of the Patriots' college scouting, 'nuff said. How much more do we need to know? The only thing that I would like to know is who he would bring in to be the HC.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
CAROLL IS NOT COMING TO ATLANTA!

Who we will get however is either Heckert/Spagnuolo or Dimitroff and his guy (McDaniels? Scarnecchia?)

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
He's the head of the Patriots' college scouting, 'nuff said. How much more do we need to know? The only thing that I would like to know is who he would bring in to be the HC.
this is looking liek 2 very good candidates and neither seem to be big name splashes but more smart hires. I'm hoping for Heckert though.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those are 2 great candidates. I really like Dimitroff but his lack of experience is the only thing from me liking him more than Heckert. I wouldnt have a problem with either hire. It just depends which HC it will yield.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Man alive...this is getting really crazy. Hopefully we'll be locking one of them up soon, but I guess it'll still be a while before we see. Heckert is the name that seems to be sticking around so I'd be pretty surprised if he's not the one that locks in. We'll see though...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like Dimintroff.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

To be perfectly honest, I've heard so many names and stuff, I don't even know who exactly is still involved, and who I still like. It's all crazyness...I just want it to end so I know who to pull for! haha.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:00 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ATLANTA -- Suddenly among the NFL's hottest candidates to fill one of the current head coach openings in the league, Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz interviewed here Friday with Falcons officials about the team's vacancy.

It marked the second interview in two days for Schwartz, who on Thursday huddled with Washington Redskins' owner Daniel Snyder for much of the day. He is the first known candidate to meet with the Redskins about a vacancy created when coach Joe Gibbs resigned on Tuesday morning.

Schwartz, 41, will interview with the Miami Dolphins on Monday, ESPN.com has confirmed. After interviews that sources from the Falcons and Redskins acknowledged were impressive, Schwartz will spend the weekend reviewing his notes for the Miami session.

The only franchise with a head coach vacancy that has yet to indicate interest in Schwartz is the Baltimore Ravens.

A 13-year league veteran, Schwartz was the sixth known candidate to meet with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank and other team officials in a session that lasted several hours.

The Falcons last week interviewed Dallas assistant head coach Tony Sparano, Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, and former Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. On Thursday, team management traveled to Jacksonville and interviewed Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith.

Blank has also spoken with Southern California coach Pete Carroll about the Falcons' opening. While Carroll has yet to close the door completely, it is expected that he will decline the opportunity to discuss the job.

The Falcons have also sought permission to interview Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who is in his first season in that capacity. Despite reports that New York officials denied permission for a meeting with Spagnuolo, that is not entirely the case. The Giants, who are in the playoffs and preparing for a division-round matchup against Dallas on Sunday, only asked that the Falcons delay an interview until their season is over.

Schwartz holds a degree in economics from Georgetown University, and frequently relies on computer analysis to work up defensive game plans. An avid chess player, and blessed with an analytical mind, he has taken the baseball book "Moneyball," and attempted to apply its principles to football. Schwartz is a high-energy coach, a leader for whom veterans enjoy playing, and early in his career he worked for current New England coach Bill Belichick.

He presided over the resurgence of the Tennessee defense in 2007, as the unit rose to a No. 5 overall statistical ranking, after finished dead last in most yards surrendered in 2006.

Schwartz interviewed for the San Francisco head coach job in 2005 and finished as the runner-up for that position.

The vacancy in Atlanta was created when Bobby Petrino resigned with three games remaining in his debut NFL season. It is not known if the Falcons have arranged interviews with any other candidates.

The Falcons are also seeking to fill the general manager position. Blank and team president Rich McKay have interviewed six candidates for that job. Blank announced three weeks ago that McKay would no longer function as the general manager. In league circles it is believed that Atlanta could hire a general manager within the next week, and that Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert is the front-runner.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:53 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Looks like we may have our GM

FALCONS HIRE DIMITROFF

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Falcons have hired Patriots director of college scouting Tom Dimitroff to be the new G.M. in Atlanta.

Dimitroff and Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert were considered to be the front-runners for the job.

The move most likely means that USC coach Pete Carroll is out of the mix for the head-coaching job, since Carroll most likely would have wanted to run the show.

We'll have more to say about this after the Saturday games. Live Blogs of both will be on the Beta version of the site.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I LOVE the sound of this right here

Schwartz holds a degree in economics from Georgetown University, and frequently relies on computer analysis to work up defensive game plans. An avid chess player, and blessed with an analytical mind, he has taken the baseball book "Moneyball," and attempted to apply its principles to football. Schwartz is a high-energy coach, a leader for whom veterans enjoy playing, and early in his career he worked for current New England coach Bill Belichick.

I know the Titans aren't something special...but...I like that style of thinking, however there is a report saying that Caldwell is going to be the guy who is going to be our next head coach.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I hate that style of Schwartz. It produced this year but I hate reducing everything to numbers and percentages. That isn't to say he is a bad coach. I just do not like the way he gos about it.

But, I love the Dimintroff hire. A guy from a proven winning franchise who specializes in college scouting.

Caldwell is OK, but I would prefer someone defensive minded.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 01-12-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First rule of business for Dimitroff: get Arthur Blank to get rid of Rich McKay.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Got to love where he comes from.