Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.
Default Offseason

I'll try to keep it short.

GM: Tom Heckert. GM of the Eagles, one of the best-drafting teams in the NFL over the past decade. Doesn't have final say over personnel in Philly, so would be a promotion. He's earned it.

HC: Tony Sparano. Has the experience, discipline, and the O-line focus I want and the Falcons need. Has done a fantastic job with Dallas O-line, the key to their offensive success.

DC: Mike Zimmer. Knows Sparano from Dallas, knows and has the respect of the Falcons.

OC: Hue Jackson. I was impressed with the job he did in the last few games of the season, and he has to take much of the credit for getting Roddy to live up to his potential. Has a passing-game focus to complement Sparano's run-game focus.

Release:

Warrick Dunn - just run out of gas
Wayne Gandy - ran out of gas years ago!
Joey Harrington - even if healthy, he cannot get it done
Demo - will get paid more by a cover 2 team than he deserves for us
Quinn Ojinnaka - might have been good in the ZBS, but useless in a power scheme

Resign:

Redman - solid backup at worst
Crocker - can't rely on JW to be his replacement. If JW does step up, Crocker could eventually replace Milloy, so wouldn't be wasted money.
Boley and Hall - that's where we spend our money, not free agents.

Free Agents:

I'm not expecting any key free agents. We are still fairly cap limited, especially with a top 5 pick to fit in and Boley and Hall to resign. We'll add guys for depth, but will probably save the key free agents for 2009, once we have cap space from Coleman and Brooking (who stay this year for the sake of continuity).

If we did find some cash, and players willing to come here after the past nightmare season, then I'd be looking to spend it on the DL and OL.

Draft:

Assuming we have average luck, and get the 4th pick.

Fins: Dorsey or Gholston
Rams: Dorsey or Chris Long
Raiders: McFadden

Falcons: Jake Long (see my JL post)

2a: Brian Brohm - I just feel like there are enough issues for him to drop here. He's below Ryan, and doesn't have the upside of Woodson. If it takes a future third (or even second) to move up to grab him, so be it.

2b: Duke Robinson - A mauler to line up at RG. Long, Blalock, Robinson and Clabo would be 4/5 of an incredible run-blocking line.

3: Tashard Choice - The all-round solid RB to take advantage of that line, and save Norwood for 150 carries a season. Choice does everything well, if nothing brilliantly. With all the juniors coming out, I expect him to be a 3rd round steal.

Compensation from Kerney - he's a pro bowler, at a value position, leading the league in sacks, with a massive contract, on a playoff team; how can we not get 3rd round comp?

3b: Marcus Harrison or Red Bryant (DT): In my view, depth is everything at DT. Lewis has shown loads of potential, but has a major knee injury which might seriously affect his 2008. Stanley has been ok, but there's definitely room for another big load. Harrison or Bryant should be solid, and have the potential to be very good.

4: Cliff Avril (DE, Purdue) - as Abraham ages, we'll need a speed-rusher to spell him and back him up. Avril can be that guy.

5: Coutu - We have to solve the problem at kicker, and now is the time to do it. We keep Andersen around through the preseason to help get Coutu up to speed, and possibly even try to hire Andersen as a coach.

6 and 7: depth and ST potential at LB and S.

How 'bout that?

Last edited by D-Rod : 01-03-2008 at 06:06 AM.
D-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You would be extremely lucky if Brohm fell to the 2nd round.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Yes, I'm fairly bored at work...

So, the depth chart would be:

QB: Leftwich vs Redman for the starting spot, with Redman having the edge. Brohm learning for a year at the absolute minimum. Maybe playing some garbage time late in the year.

RB: Choice and Norwood sharing carries, probably 200 for Choice and 150 for Norwood. Snelling as back up RB and FB, and ST ace.

FB: Mughelli, properly utilised in smash-mouth football.

WR: White, Robinson as starters, Horn and Jenkins as depth, with a little Jennings for good measure. I think that's a nicely rounded WR corps. Certainly good enough for a run-balanced attack.

TE: Alge, hopefully back to at least some semblance of health and motivation. Milner will have a year to show what he's got.

LT: Jake Long; Pennington backing him up.
LG: Blalock; Batiste backing him up.
C: McClure; Datish possibly pushing for playing time.
RG: Tyson Clabo; Robinson pushing for playing time.
RT: Todd Weiner; Renardo Foster backing him up.

(For 2009, lineup is Long-Blalock-Datish-Robinson-Clabo: sorted for years!)

LE: Anderson, hopefully having improved as a pass-rusher without sacrificing his ability against the run; ably backed up by Davis.
UT: Babineaux and Coleman splitting time.
NT: Rotation of Lewis, Stanley and Bryant/Harrison
RE: Abraham, spelled and backed up by Avril.

SLB: PRO BOLEY, backed up by Wilkins

MLB: Brooking for one last year, purely for the importance of continuing leadership in a rebuilding season; backed up by potential future replacement in TT. If he doesn't show his mettle, we could draft a guy like Laury or ReyRey in the 1st in 2009.

WLB: Nicholas, backed up by cheap free agent or late round pick.

CB: Hall, Houston, Sanders, Irons, Grimes. I actually think that Sanders might be 5th on this list, and cuttable, by the time preseason finishes. That's a LOT of speed in the secondary, by the way.

SS: Milloy finishes his contract, providing vital leadership. Stone will backup, and could step in for 2009. He's certainly athletic enough.

FS: Please, please, please will JW step up to the plate. If he doesn't, Crocker keeps his starting role, and we start thinking about cutting JW and drafting a FS in 2009.

K: Coutu and Andersen: Mort sticks around for preseason, and shows the new kid the ropes. Then, hopefully, he can retire and become our kicking coach.

P: Koenen: most reliable player last year, other than Hall, White, Boley and Milloy...

I don't know about you, but that looks pretty decent to me. At least 8-8 decent. And it could be really rather good if Brohm steps up in 2009.

Maybe even last to first yet again for the NFC South?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
You would be extremely lucky if Brohm fell to the 2nd round.
Lucky, yes. Extremely lucky, no. I've been through this many times, but I'll do it again.

I'd rate Brohm, in terms of draftability, as the 3rd QB. Ryan has all the momentum, and Woodson will be drafted above Brohm purely for his upside in an upside-obsessed league.

There really are not that many teams who will be tempted to draft a QB in the 1st.

Falcons, possibly (hopefully NOT), but this is rather irrelevant if they do.

Baltimore, yes. I think that will account for Matty Ice.

KC might go QB, but seem to have tied their flag to Croyle for the next year at least.

Likewise with the Vikings and Jackson. I'm very confident that Jackson will be give another year to build upon the occasional solid performance.

The Bears will definitely be tempted to take a QB, but they also need O-line help. More importantly, both the Vikings and Bears may look for a veteran like McNabb, given that they have most of the other pieces in place for a playoff run.

The only other team who might take Brohm would be the Bucs, but while Garcia has shown he is aging, he's still solid, and has enough left to allow Gruden to develop someone other than a first rounder, as seems to be his preference. Moreover, the Bucs are a playoff team, and might well take the more opportunity to get a player in the 1st who will provide a more immediate impact.

Of those 5 teams, I think that only the Ravens are LIKELY to take a QB. Some of the other have a decent chance of taking one, but there's certainly a significant chance that the Chiefs stick with Croyle and go O-line, and at least 2 of the Bucs, Bears and Vikings choose to get an impact player rather than a QB to develop.

That leaves the Falcons to grab Brohm in the second (possibly having to hop over the Chiefs and the Niners to do so).

Optimistic, yes. Unrealistic, no.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It can happen. I can see Brohm having a similar drop that Brady Quinn and Aaron Rodgers had. But even with that, I dont think he makes it to the 2nd round. If we do get an offensive minded head coach, I would really like to trade back into the first round for the QB that is falling.

1. Jake Long/ Ryan Clady
1. Brian Brohm

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys think the Falcons will re-sign Demorrio Williams?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and with our second, one of the jr RBs coming out that is still available. i think its a pretty clear consensus as to what everyone here wants come draft day/
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post

I think we probably will. I wish he could raise his football IQ. He's got the speed, and can hit. He constatly gets fooled and overruns plays though.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I think we probably will. I wish he could raise his football IQ. He's got the speed, and can hit. He constatly gets fooled and overruns plays though.
Yeah, one I have noticed is how fast and aggressive he is. If you guys don't resign him I'd like for the Saints to get him, although, I'm not sure if we will.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Is Stephen Nicholas going to be inserted into the starting line-up next year? I was a big fan of his in the draft last year.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is Stephen Nicholas going to be inserted into the starting line-up next year? I was a big fan of his in the draft last year.

He will actually probably replace Williams if we let him go. Otherwise those too will probably battle for the WLB spot.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously doubt any of the big 3 drop to round 2. I can see us trading up though.

I don't know how Clabo is an amazing run blocker. Duke Robinson did not look good last night either but having 3/5 players on the offensive line over 320 pounds would be nice.

Choice I like but I think that pick would be needed to trade up for Brian Brohm.

I like Jake Long but I think the team ends up going with Matt Ryan.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

robinson and loadholdt were stiff and slow last night. wvu's speed really killed them and their dumb penalties did not make them seem like great nfl prospects.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I'm not sure, I would think so, but the way Nicholas played I really don't know. I think we could get him back in under the cap for a decent value.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
robinson and loadholdt were stiff and slow last night. wvu's speed really killed them and their dumb penalties did not make them seem like great nfl prospects.
To be fair, they are both more of "potential" prospects then NFL-ready.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Im not a fan on Tarshard Choice to be honest. These are my preferences as to how best to tie up the RB position

1. Sign Michael Turner
2. Sign Ledel Betts
3. Draft Jonthan Stewart in the 2nd
4. Sign Jamal Lewis (who would be a great mentor for Snelling)
5. Draft Darren McFadden at #3
6. Draft a RB in the 3rd (because IMO none of them appear to run all that much harder than Jerious/ Snelling)
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow, DMH...I hate that list...

FA RBs are going to be looking to cash in...Stewart SHOULDN'T be there in round 2 so I'd make that my #1 McFadden @ #3 as my #2 and then scrap the rest of it...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like ur offseason play D-Rod, you read my mind in detail.
We need a lineman like Long, i know we dont draft fattys high but i certantly beleive this is the year. For sure one of the three QBs will be there in 2nd round and we defenetly will not need to trade up. Drafting a RG with our other second to solidify our line, pefect Love drafting Tashad Choice, he is a sure steal if we can get him in the 3rd. I like how you draft offense with the first four picks (good idea for the worst offense in the league).
Im a big fan of Coutu, the man has accuracy and range, we could use his big boot, and if Morten would want to stay with the team I would love to offer him a coaching position.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Maybe we should sign Michael Turner so that would take care of our RB need then trade down with a team who really wants McFadden(Hopefully the cowboys) and collect extra picks then we could draft either Brohm,Ryan,or Woodson for QB let them sit for a year or so.....I think this might be the best scenerio.....
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I like ur offseason play D-Rod, you read my mind in detail.
We need a lineman like Long, i know we dont draft fattys high but i certantly beleive this is the year. For sure one of the three QBs will be there in 2nd round and we defenetly will not need to trade up. Drafting a RG with our other second to solidify our line, pefect Love drafting Tashad Choice, he is a sure steal if we can get him in the 3rd. I like how you draft offense with the first four picks (good idea for the worst offense in the league).
Im a big fan of Coutu, the man has accuracy and range, we could use his big boot, and if Morten would want to stay with the team I would love to offer him a coaching position.
I don't expect one of the top three quarterbacks (Woodson of Kentucky, Ryan of Boston College, Brohm of Louisville) will fall.

And the only reason we did not draft offensive lineman high in the draft was because of our former offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, and he left last year. The draft after he left (the most recent one) we drafted Blalock of Texas in round 2.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

i hope one of teh three have a slightly disappointing combine so that they will fall. if any do fall it'll probably brohm.