Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

urinemonkey hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
however he also won't win games with a game clutching interception or fumble.
How do you know he won't? He has the ability to, as he proved against Clemson in that triple overtime thriller his freshman year, coming up with the game-winning INT.

At #12, my top 10 targets would be the following in order:

1. Keith Rivers (Perfect WILL and Ian Gold replacement)
2. Dan Connor (Very solid but not as athletic as Rivers)
3. Kenny Phillips
4. Chris Williams (I actually like him better than Clady - only gave up 1 sack this season playing in the SEC, a conference with far superior talent than the WAC.)
5. Ryan Clady
6. Phillip Merling (Wright compares him to Trevor Pryce - wouldn't mind having that back)
7. DeSean Jackson (brings a downfield threat and a dangerous PR, could be a great #2 receiver ala Bernard Berrian)
8. Rashard Mendenhall (just because he will be great IMO.)
9. Jonathan Stewart (just a notch below Mendenhall)
10. Derrick Harvey (kinda weak against the run but is a great pass-rusher)

Trading down is preferable though, for reasons repeated plenty of times. Get additional picks, better value, etc.

In the off-chance we trade up (probably with New England IMO), either Dorsey or Ellis would no doubt be the target.

Last edited by urinemonkey : 03-04-2008 at 11:34 PM.
urinemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
this is the part of the season where i become cynical and ask, does it really even ****ing matter? how many decent first round picks have we made? we'd be better off trading out of the draft entirely and just signing UDFAs.
you know... i was scrolling through, reading everyone's crazy posts. Sure, in the perfect world, some big time OT falls to us at 12. But that ain't happening. Broncos have 3 decent home grown picks on their team right now. DJ, Brandon, and Cutler. Before last year, only DJ had remotely proven himself. That's how bad we are at drafting. 1 Guy that we originally drafted on our whole team, who we'd know would make an impact week 1 to week 16. Nalen and Lepsis don't count, they were gone. Seriously, go through last years roster name me someone other then DJ who denver had drafted and had remotely proven themself by week 1

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-04-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My fav pick as of late is Chris Williams. Good OT with the potential to be the franchise LT. Out of Vandy, I think he will be there at 12 for sure.

I would actually take him over clady
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Walker

I must be missing something, but please explain to me why we did not keep Walker until the draft. I thought we would try to trade him during the Draft (the same way we acquired him if you recall)? I did not think he had a bonus due until well after the draft so why did we just let him go now, as opposed to trying to pick up something for him (say a 4th round pick or even a 2nd from Crazy Al or Dan Snyder who trades away his draft picks every year)? What am I missing? Thanks!
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

jaffe28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M View Post
I must be missing something, but please explain to me why we did not keep Walker until the draft. I thought we would try to trade him during the Draft (the same way we acquired him if you recall)? I did not think he had a bonus due until well after the draft so why did we just let him go now, as opposed to trying to pick up something for him (say a 4th round pick or even a 2nd from Crazy Al or Dan Snyder who trades away his draft picks every year)? What am I missing? Thanks!
I think we owed him a $5 million roster bonus on March 4th so we cut him to not have to pay it.
jaffe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way I see it, Clady and Rivers will be gone, Phillips will probably go late round 1, and Denver won't go RB in round 1 as usual. I gotta admit it's not the best year for you guys to be picking 12th, but if you get a guy like Chris Williams it will be worth it. Are you guys looking at an OT in round 1 possibly or are ya gonna stick with Harris at left tackle and not get Williams? Kentwan Balmer seems like a very possible Bronco pick though even though he doesn't get the hype of other top 20 picks.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Are you guys looking at an OT in round 1 possibly or are ya gonna stick with Harris at left tackle and not get Williams? Kentwan Balmer seems like a very possible Bronco pick though even though he doesn't get the hype of other top 20 picks.
One of the coaching staff (Dennison, IIRC) pretty much came out and said they were looking for an OT. The only question is whether they still feel they can do better by drafting OL in the later rounds. I think Williams would be a fine pick if we're willing to take OT early.

Balmer not getting the hype? IMO, he's way overhyped as it is if he's being considered at the 12 spot. Balmer isn't any better than Dre Moore at DT... he just does well on the eyeball test.

I think the team needs to play it relatively safe in the draft. We've pretty much been burnt on every move recently. We need to get solid guys who are going to be able to come in and contribute. No character risks, gambles or reaches... we don't have a deep enough talent pool to absorb the hit when things go wrong.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

I'd think that they would consider Williams at #12. He's a better value than either Phillips or Balmer that early. If Denver can't trade out of the #12 spot they'd certainly be best off taking the best OT prospect and then taking the best available S or DT early in the 2nd.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffe28 View Post
I'd think that they would consider Williams at #12. He's a better value than either Phillips or Balmer that early. If Denver can't trade out of the #12 spot they'd certainly be best off taking the best OT prospect and then taking the best available S or DT early in the 2nd.
hey I've been saying C. Williams for a while at #12 in all the mocks. I really think that it is gonna happen. I think I actually say it a couple posts up.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

urinemonkey hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Clady falls to #12 it's a no-brainer imo. If not, then it's a tough choice between Chris Williams and Mendenhall. If Shanny is sold on Harris as our LT, then the pick could very well be Mendenhall, even if Clady is there. This is assuming we don't trade up or down, which is of course possible. I wouldn't rule out DeSean Jackson at #12 either, just because of the boost to our return game and big play ability he would bring, but I think the fact that he is severely undersized will be enough to scare them away.

Last edited by urinemonkey : 03-23-2008 at 05:44 PM.
urinemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

I dunno if I can see them passing on clady for mendenhall. I can see passing on williams, but I think if clady falls there, the broncos will trip over themselves getting there pick to the podium.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
I dunno if I can see them passing on clady for mendenhall. I can see passing on williams, but I think if clady falls there, the broncos will trip over themselves getting there pick to the podium.
I agree. I think that Williams is the most likely pick, but the guy Denver wants most is Clady.

The only way I'll be satisfied if they go away from OT is if somehow Ellis or Dorsey falls to us. but that's unlikely.

I doubt Mendenhall is going to be the pick, but you never know with Shanny...