Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Willie parker is disgustingly overrated, to that guy that said he's a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball; i dare say those 2 touchdowns he had this year would disagree with you. Factor this in with how from carry to carry he's one of the more inconsistent runners i really don't see how he is being rated in the top 5 by many of you.
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Brian Westbrook
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Brandon Jacobs
5. Stephen Jackson
6. Jamal Lewis
7. Fred Taylor
8. Willie Parker
9. Clinton Portis
10. Frank Gore

Notable Exclusions: Joseph Addai (I have little respect for runningbacks that play in that system, because they never play against 8-man fronts and thus never show us how good they really are. Edge was an exception, because he consistantly put up 1,500 yards and 10 TDs. Addai isn't doing that.)

Ronnie Brown (Really good, but let's see if he can come back from injury)

Larry Johnson (Has shown the skill, but needs to rebound to get back into the top 10)
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
Notable Exclusions: Joseph Addai (I have little respect for runningbacks that play in that system, because they never play against 8-man fronts and thus never show us how good they really are. Edge was an exception, because he consistantly put up 1,500 yards and 10 TDs. Addai isn't doing that.)
Good to see you gave reason for it instead of just leaving him off as others have.
Anyway, yeah i can see your point and it is a valid one, but in saying that you must remember there is more to being a running back than strictly running the football. Joe is right up there with Clinton Portis as far as pass protection is concerned, and he catches the ball better than most out of the backfield. Combine this with the fact that he runs with vision (i really like how seems to find the hole and get through it when running the stretch) and i really think he is easily a top 10 back in the league.
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
Willie parker is disgustingly overrated, to that guy that said he's a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball; i dare say those 2 touchdowns he had this year would disagree with you. Factor this in with how from carry to carry he's one of the more inconsistent runners i really don't see how he is being rated in the top 5 by many of you.
Obviously you didn't watch the games this season?

Willie would get into the 5 and Najeh Davenport Pounded it in.

Lets see..

Willie Parker had 12 runs of 20+. Second to LT2 by 1.
Willie Parker had 87.7 yards per game.. 5th overall
Willie Parker had 1,316 yards in 14 games. 4th overall

Anyone gaining 1000 yards behind our OL this season is impressive.

We have the Worst OL In the league. 47 sacks and we get no push in the run game..

Which is why you'll be seeing drastic changes.

Parker has 3 back to back 1200+ Yard seasons. Not to mention the longest run in superbowl history.

Like I said, I don't think he's top 3, But I'd say he can fall anywhere from 5-8.

A lot of these guys are being based on hype as well.

McGahee only had 1 season over 4.0 ypc and has never had over 1300 yards rushing

Frank Gore only had 1 good season.

Brandon Jacobs has only started for 1 season, barely eclipsed 1000 yards and only had 4 TD's. Willie Parker is a problem with 2, but Jacobs with 4... and he's a short yardage back.

Willie Parker has outplayed Fred Taylor to go to the pro-bowl over him the last 2 seasons.

He was also battling knee injuries after the SF game which limited his speed.

I want to see what happens next year when the new coach actually builds around Willies speed.

My Top 10:

1) LaDanian Tomlinson
2) Stephen Jackson
3) Brian Westbrook
4) Adrian Peterson
5) Clinton Portis
6) Willie Parker
7) Larry Johnson
8) Fred Taylor
9) Maurice Jones-Drew
10) Willis McGahee

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 01-06-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM    (permalink
dRaFtDoRk
Veteran

dRaFtDoRk hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers---Didn't do anything to hurt his stock. Yes, he did lead the league in rushing for the 2nd consecutive season, but I don't feel he did enough to boost his stock. It really doesn't matter because he's still the #1 back in the league.

2. Brian Westbrook Philadelphia Eagles---Has been one of the more underrated players in the league for awhile. If not for Tomlinson's receiving ability, he would be the best all-purpose back in the leage. His 2000 all-purpose yards this season shows why he is a force to be reckoned with on every single down.

3. Willie Parker Pittsburgh Steelers---Possibly the leagues leading rusher if not for a broken hip against the Rams. He is the key to that Steelers offense...if Parker isn't able to run well, the Steelers will lose.

4. Steven Jackson St. Louis Rams---A season that was hampered by injuries is what causes his drop from #2 to #4 at seasons end. The Rams defenitly didn't utilize him like they did last season, and Jackson's production was limited due to.

5. Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings---The offensive rookie of the year burst on to the scene this year with some big games, which included a record 296 yards against the Chargers. What makes his stock drop though is his extreme hit and miss games.

6. Joseph Addai Indianapolis Colts---The former LSU Tiger has had 2 great seasons so far as a Colt. He took over easily as Edgerrin James' back-up and should continue next season. He hits holes hard and is becoming a great all-around back.

7. Clinton Portis Washington Redskins---The Redskins gave him the ball a lot during the latter part of this season, and it proved to be the factor, with them winning their final four games. When Portis gets the ball, the Redskins win, that simple.

8. Larry Johnson Kansas City Chiefs---A broken foot and mediocre production early on in the season plummets his ranking from the start of the season. The retirement of LT Willie Roaf has proved to be a factor in Johnsons production.

9. Frank Gore San Francisco 49ers---Yes, the 49ers had an upsetting season, but Gore had yet another good season. He didn't lead the NFC in rushing like last season, but he still rushed for over 1,000 yards with less carries than last season.

10. Fred Taylor Jacksonville Jaguars---A productive back his whole career, Taylor showed defensive players why he is still a threat in the backfield. He will make his 1st trip to the Pro-Bowl this season, while it should be at least his 3rd or 4th appearence.

11. Marion Barber Dallas Cowboys
12. Jamal Lewis Cleveland Browns
13. Edgerrin James Arizona Cardinals
14. Willis McGahee Baltimore Ravens
15. Brandon Jacobs New York Giants
16. Maurice Jones-Drew Jacksonville Jaguars
17. LenDale White Tennessee Titans
18. Chester Taylor Minnesota Vikings
19. Thomas Jones New York Jets
20. Marshawn Lynch Buffalo Bills
dRaFtDoRk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey now. No Justin Fargas? That guy is a top 5 running back for rizzle my nizzle. [/joke]

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
1. LaDainian Tomlinson San Diego Chargers---Didn't do anything to hurt his stock. Yes, he did lead the league in rushing for the 2nd consecutive season, but I don't feel he did enough to boost his stock. It really doesn't matter because he's still the #1 back in the league.

2. Brian Westbrook Philadelphia Eagles---Has been one of the more underrated players in the league for awhile. If not for Tomlinson's receiving ability, he would be the best all-purpose back in the leage. His 2000 all-purpose yards this season shows why he is a force to be reckoned with on every single down.

3. Willie Parker Pittsburgh Steelers---Possibly the leagues leading rusher if not for a broken hip against the Rams. He is the key to that Steelers offense...if Parker isn't able to run well, the Steelers will lose.

4. Steven Jackson St. Louis Rams---A season that was hampered by injuries is what causes his drop from #2 to #4 at seasons end. The Rams defenitly didn't utilize him like they did last season, and Jackson's production was limited due to.

5. Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings---The offensive rookie of the year burst on to the scene this year with some big games, which included a record 296 yards against the Chargers. What makes his stock drop though is his extreme hit and miss games.

6. Joseph Addai Indianapolis Colts---The former LSU Tiger has had 2 great seasons so far as a Colt. He took over easily as Edgerrin James' back-up and should continue next season. He hits holes hard and is becoming a great all-around back.

7. Clinton Portis Washington Redskins---The Redskins gave him the ball a lot during the latter part of this season, and it proved to be the factor, with them winning their final four games. When Portis gets the ball, the Redskins win, that simple.

8. Larry Johnson Kansas City Chiefs---A broken foot and mediocre production early on in the season plummets his ranking from the start of the season. The retirement of LT Willie Roaf has proved to be a factor in Johnsons production.

9. Frank Gore San Francisco 49ers---Yes, the 49ers had an upsetting season, but Gore had yet another good season. He didn't lead the NFC in rushing like last season, but he still rushed for over 1,000 yards with less carries than last season.

10. Fred Taylor Jacksonville Jaguars---A productive back his whole career, Taylor showed defensive players why he is still a threat in the backfield. He will make his 1st trip to the Pro-Bowl this season, while it should be at least his 3rd or 4th appearence.

11. Marion Barber Dallas Cowboys
12. Jamal Lewis Cleveland Browns
13. Edgerrin James Arizona Cardinals
14. Willis McGahee Baltimore Ravens
15. Brandon Jacobs New York Giants
16. Maurice Jones-Drew Jacksonville Jaguars
17. LenDale White Tennessee Titans
18. Chester Taylor Minnesota Vikings
19. Thomas Jones New York Jets
20. Marshawn Lynch Buffalo Bills
Two guys I wonder about on that list are Lendale White and Thomas Jones. They had 3.7 and 3.6 ypc respectively and barely scratched the surface of 1,100 yards in over 300 carries. In fact, they have almost identical stats in all facets. I would replace one of them on the list with Justin Fargas. This year he had 222 carries for 1,009 yards for a 4.5 ypc. He is by no means top 10 back or even top 15 RB, but I would put him around #19 or 20 ahead of White and Jones.

It is interesting to see the fall from glory that many RBs have had. It's not just Shaun or Larry Johnson, but Frank Gore, Rude Johnson and Travis Henry. And let's not forget that Julius Jones had been hailed as one of the next top RBs in the league and look at his fall.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd mention Ryan Grant too. While obviously he hasn't done it over an extended period of time, I think he's looked very good in the time that he's started. I don't know exactly where I'd place him, I think he at least deserves to be in the top 20 backs.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

I think when the Chiefs improve their line next year Larry Johnson will return to the top 5 of the rankings.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
I think when the Chiefs improve their line next year Larry Johnson will return to the top 5 of the rankings.
How are they going to improve the line by next year? if LJ gets back into the top 5 it'll be because of his talent, not hte line..

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
How are they going to improve the line by next year? if LJ gets back into the top 5 it'll be because of his talent, not hte line..
You would be surprised what a player like Jake Long could do.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
You would be surprised what a player like Jake Long could do.
yeah i suppose you are right. But i wouldnt exactly count on it.. d-brick and gallery didnt exactly propell their running backs into the top 5.

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
How? It can happen in one year. We have a top 5 draft pick, over $20 million in cap room, and could possibly be getting Alex Gibbs for the offensive line coach. I never said the line would be all pro again like it used to be. But LJ still ran for over 1,700 yards in 2006 with a line that was pretty bad then.
Just look at your own offensive line. They were pretty ****** in 2005 but with the addition of McNeill and the improvement of your other players they magically got better after only one season when nobody thought they could.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Ladainian Tomlinson
2. Steven Jackson
3. Brian Westbrook
4. Willie Parker
5. Adrian Peterson
6. Marion Barber
7. Fred Taylor
8. Larry Johnson
9. Joseph Addai
10. Frank Gore

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
yeah i suppose you are right. But i wouldnt exactly count on it.. d-brick and gallery didnt exactly propell their running backs into the top 5.
Neither one of them is the dominating run blocker that Long is.

But Long will not be our only addition. I expect us to add a center in the draft as well as a guard in free agency and maybe one or two other free agent linemen.

We still do have Brian Waters who is a pro bowler and Damion McIntosh was solid at left tackle and should be better at right tackle.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

d-brick and mangold we're 2 cant miss prospects.. i dont see jet running backs lighting it up..

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
How? It can happen in one year. We have a top 5 draft pick, over $20 million in cap room, and could possibly be getting Alex Gibbs for the offensive line coach. I never said the line would be all pro again like it used to be. But LJ still ran for over 1,700 yards in 2006 with a line that was pretty bad then.
Just look at your own offensive line. They were pretty ****** in 2005 but with the addition of McNeill and the improvement of your other players they magically got better after only one season when nobody thought they could.
they magically got better? dielman was a beast the year before, but LT was a weakspot. Then we got a mauling run blocking Left tackle and LT just went bonanza on defenses to the left side. The line didnt really get any better, it was just so dominant to one side. That just indirectly helped out the right side. Now with Mcneil hitting a sophomore slump the line returned to what it was. were we so good this year? not really.. Lt won the rushing title tho, which just goes to show how talented he is.

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
d-brick and mangold we're 2 cant miss prospects.. i dont see jet running backs lighting it up..
I don't see any Jets runningbacks with the talent of Larry Johnson.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
they magically got better? dielman was a beast the year before, but LT was a weakspot. Then we got a mauling run blocking Left tackle and LT just went bonanza on defenses to the left side. The line didnt really get any better, it was just so dominant to one side. That just indirectly helped out the right side. Now with Mcneil hitting a sophomore slump the line returned to what it was. were we so good this year? not really.. Lt won the rushing title tho, which just goes to show how talented he is.
So that just goes to show the addition of one player can improve an offensive line alot. Like I said, we still have Brian Waters who is a pro bowl left guard. Put Jake Long, who is a very good run blocker, next to Waters and you could see the same effect.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's give this a go, I'll try to be as non-homeristic as possible:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers, 7th year
Beyond what entails being the best back in the league, what's especially impressive about LDT is the durability, the production he delivers year after year. Tony Dungy calls Edgerrin James one of the freak of nature backs we see a few of every generation, Tomlinson is another and who knows if we'll see more of them. First back to win consecutive rushing titles since Edge of 99-00.

2. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles, 6th year
One of my favorite players in the league the last few years, he reminds me a great deal of Thurman Thomas. He's far and away the best player on the Eagles roster and he's literally carrying the offense, both as their leading rushing option and receiving option. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

3. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams, 4th year
Down season for S-Jax thanks to a groin injury, but he's such a beast when he's on the field. It's almost unfair that a guy that big and strong is that quick and has such good hands. One thing this season though: fumbles. Amazing that he's only 24 right now, the Rams should sign him to a long-term deal - I'd rather invest money in him than any unproven prospect out of college.

4. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings, 1st year
Not sure if I'm overrating Peterson a bit, in terms of evaluating him as an all-purpose back, but the guy is amazing blend of strength, speed, and agility. As maybe the best pure runner in the league right now, he has the benefit of playing with what is likely the best run-blocking offense in the league.

5. Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins, 6th year
Nothing has changed: when healthy, Portis is a top 5 all-purpose back in the league. Posted career-highs this season in receptions (47) and receiving yards (389), and he can do more in that area if given more opportunities/targets.

6. Edgerrin James, Arizona Cardinals, 9th year
A machine, he keeps on ticking and rarely if ever fails, including as a pass protector (Top 3 in the league) and as a receiver. Has a stellar knack for getting to and past the first down marker. Not the home-run threat he was earlier in his career but he's become more of a power runner to compensate for that, and is an exceptional all-purpose back otherwise. He's been paid millions annually since the day he walked into the league, but his love for the game is evident as he's never mailed it in. And he's never spoken out against a teammate, despite the fact that he was never given enough touches in the postseason. Future Hall of Famer, appreciate him now.

7. Fred Taylor, Jacksonville Jaguars, 9th year
Freddie T is still going strong, in fact the man can impressively break one at any time. Not used as a receiving threat as much as he used to be, thanks to the addition of Maurice Drew. A period in Taylor's life some years ago, which caused him to re-evaluate and wise up a bit, led to him taking better care of his body and that's resulted in him shedding the "Fragile Fred" monicker that once dogged him earlier in his career. In the last six seasons, Taylor has missed a total of nine games. Really eight, considering the Jags rested him and Maurice Drew for Week 17 of this season.

8. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts, 2nd year
Probably cracks the Top 3 in the league in terms of pass protectors. Carrying the tradition of Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James, he's done things in his first two years that neither did in their careers with the Colts, like being the first Colts back to ever post the rushing/receiving double-hundy in a game (versus the all-mighty Patriots this past November). And he's still getting better.

9. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers, 3rd year
Is it just me, or did Frank the Tank look the fastest he's been in years this season? We might not have seen enough to be sure, thanks to playing behind one of the most miserable offensive lines in the league in 2007.

10. Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs, 5th year
I've always criticized LJ for his shoddy pass protection, but he actually catches more balls than people might intiailly suspect. And of course, he's a workhorse who produced 3500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns in two years when he had a good offensive line. He paid for the ridiculous record-breaking workload of 2006 this season, hopefully he bounces back in 08.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Neither one of them is the dominating run blocker that Long is.

But Long will not be our only addition. I expect us to add a center in the draft as well as a guard in free agency and maybe one or two other free agent linemen.

We still do have Brian Waters who is a pro bowler and Damion McIntosh was solid at left tackle and should be better at right tackle.
just one marcus mcneil makes a difference is right- when you got the right players too... maybe if you get long, and he turns out not to be d-brick or gallery.. then it'll be because the line got better? .. the line that doesnt need to add a center in the draft and a guard in free agency .. and 2 others in free agency as well.. right..

.. odds are if LJ gets back to the top 5 its gonna be because LJ is super talented

sig by bosanac01

Last edited by Average OT LB : 01-08-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Let's give this a go, I'll try to be as non-homeristic as possible:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers, 7th year
Beyond what entails being the best back in the league, what's especially impressive about LDT is the durability, the production he delivers year after year. Tony Dungy calls Edgerrin James one of the freak of nature backs we see a few of every generation, Tomlinson is another and who knows if we'll see more of them. First back to win consecutive rushing titles since Edge of 99-00.

2. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles, 6th year
One of my favorite players in the league the last few years, he reminds me a great deal of Thurman Thomas. He's far and away the best player on the Eagles roster and he's literally carrying the offense, both as their leading rushing option and receiving option. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

3. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams, 4th year
Down season for S-Jax thanks to a groin injury, but he's such a beast when he's on the field. It's almost unfair that a guy that big and strong is that quick and has such good hands. One thing this season though: fumbles. Amazing that he's only 24 right now, the Rams should sign him to a long-term deal - I'd rather invest money in him than any unproven prospect out of college.

4. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings, 1st year
Not sure if I'm overrating Peterson a bit, in terms of evaluating him as an all-purpose back, but the guy is amazing blend of strength, speed, and agility. As maybe the best pure runner in the league right now, he has the benefit of playing with what is likely the best run-blocking offense in the league.

5. Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins, 6th year
Nothing has changed: when healthy, Portis is a top 5 all-purpose back in the league. Posted career-highs this season in receptions (47) and receiving yards (389), and he can do more in that area if given more opportunities/targets.

6. Edgerrin James, Arizona Cardinals, 9th year
A machine, he keeps on ticking and rarely if ever fails, including as a pass protector (Top 3 in the league) and as a receiver. Has a stellar knack for getting to and past the first down marker. Not the home-run threat he was earlier in his career but he's become more of a power runner to compensate for that, and is an exceptional all-purpose back otherwise. He's been paid millions annually since the day he walked into the league, but his love for the game is evident as he's never mailed it in. And he's never spoken out against a teammate, despite the fact that he was never given enough touches in the postseason. Future Hall of Famer, appreciate him now.

7. Fred Taylor, Jacksonville Jaguars, 9th year
Freddie T is still going strong, in fact the man can impressively break one at any time. Not used as a receiving threat as much as he used to be, thanks to the addition of Maurice Drew. A period in Taylor's life some years ago, which caused him to re-evaluate and wise up a bit, led to him taking better care of his body and that's resulted in him shedding the "Fragile Fred" monicker that once dogged him earlier in his career. In the last six seasons, Taylor has missed a total of nine games. Really eight, considering the Jags rested him and Maurice Drew for Week 17 of this season.

8. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts, 2nd year
Probably cracks the Top 3 in the league in terms of pass protectors. Carrying the tradition of Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James, he's done things in his first two years that neither did in their careers with the Colts, like being the first Colts back to ever post the rushing/receiving double-hundy in a game (versus the all-mighty Patriots this past November). And he's still getting better.

9. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers, 3rd year
Is it just me, or did Frank the Tank look the fastest he's been in years this season? We might not have seen enough to be sure, thanks to playing behind one of the most miserable offensive lines in the league in 2007.

10. Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs, 5th year
I've always criticized LJ for his shoddy pass protection, but he actually catches more balls than people might intiailly suspect. And of course, he's a workhorse who produced 3500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns in two years when he had a good offensive line. He paid for the ridiculous record-breaking workload of 2006 this season, hopefully he bounces back in 08.
You have too much time on your hands.........
Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys have no idea how thankful I am that Brian Westbrook is finally getting his due as a star RB in this league...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All these lists focus WAY to much on the most recent year... people like frank gore or LJ are no longer elite? well i guess it makes sense cause after gore's monster season, people were dubbing him the best miami U runningback.....

you need to see who has the most speed, the best vision, the best moves, durability, recieving ability, and other intangibles instead of just looking at stats

edit: good looks on the list GEO

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you saying that Westbrook isn't a top 5 RB, or are you just angry that LJ and Gore aren't getting props?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote