Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My First Mock Draft

Third round picks compensates for Kerney.
Seventh round from Rossum to Pittsburgh trade.
I'll guess that we'd get the 4th overall pick, but any thing can happen with the coin toss between Oakland, Kansas City, and Atlanta.

I have two versions, the first one is the one that I want, the second one is the one with us drafting a quarterback in the first round which is arguably more realistic.

Version 1
1(4). OT | Jake Long | Michigan
2(4). DT | Frank Okam | Texas
2(16). QB | Joe Flacco | Delaware
3(4). RB | Tashard Choice | Georgia Tech
3(24). ILB | Tavares Gooden | Miami (FL)
4(4). S | Tom Zbikowski | Notre Dame
5(4). OG | Heath Benedict | Newberry
6(4). K | Art Carmody | Louisville
7(4). CB | Tyvon Branch | Connecticut
7(21). C | Fernando Velasco | Georgia

Version 2:
1(4). QB | Matt Ryan | Boston College
2(4). RB | Jonathan Stewart | Oregon
2(16). DT | Dre Moore | Texas A&M
3(4). OT | Chris Williams | Vanderbilt
3(24). OT | Barry Richardson | Clemson
4(4). ILB | Vince Hall | Virginia Tech
5(4). S | Wesley Woodyard | Kentucky
6(4). K | Art Carmody | Louisville
7(4). OG | Mike Fladell | Rutgers
7(21). WR | Dexter Jackson | Appalachian St.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

The one i want and the one you want (version 1) seem very similiar therefore you get a good mark from me. One thing, if Dre More is there at #16 in the 2nd as per your 2nd verson (which i doubt) i would definatly take him over the Rod Wright esk performances of Frank Okam at #4 in the 2nd in Verson 1.

It's safe to say that at the moment i am enamoured with Joe Flacco. He may be the best QB prospect of this draft. If not, its not as big a hit, Redman/Losman will do fine with an improved supporting cast untill next years draft. But Flacco's upside and few weakness' is hard to ignore. Big Ben anyone?

Everyone has lots of Love for Tarshard Choice, just wondering why? does he really have the tools to be the pounder we need with Norwood? What are his strenghs? Some dont agree but im still an avid follower of tie-ing the RB position up with a vets in FA and using the draft for positions with less FA talent, IMO it just makes for a better overall lineup come 2008.

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 01-06-2008 at 04:30 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

flacco before choice? flacco is getting some hype right now but i strongly doubt he goes as early as round 2.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like version 1. The Okam pick is okay, but I really like Long and Flacco.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think version two is unrealistic. Stewart in round 2 and Chris Williams in round 3 would take a lot of luck.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And there is a very slim chance we get a third round draft pick for Kerney. We signed some free agents and might not even be able to get a compensation pick if we signed more free agents than we signed. I think we get a fifth round pick or possibly a fourth.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd be shocked if we don't get a 3rd for the league leader in sacks
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Considering we might not be eligible, I would not.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Considering we might not be eligible, I would not.
we are...so be shocked
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
we are...so be shocked
Not that I doubt you, but if you're so convinced, could you lay it out for the rest of us?

I agree that IF we are eligible, Kerney has a decent shot at a 3rd. But are we eligible?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:19 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Why wouldn't we be eligible? We brought in Horn and Ovie...their contracts are nowhere near what PKs was...we also have other guys who were minor signings by other teams that help us out.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

If you felt inclined to do the full analysis, I'm sure it would be much appreciated by all of us.

I don't have time to do so, but have a feeling that we are fairly even, at least in numbers, of FAs in and out.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
kiranadwaney
Rookie

kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dre moore is from maryland not texas a&m and it would be great if we could get stewart in the 2nd and williams in the 3rd but it is very unlikely. stewart will go in the first and if we wanted williams i think we would need to take him with the first of our 2nd round picks
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Why wouldn't we be eligible? We brought in Horn and Ovie...their contracts are nowhere near what PKs was...we also have other guys who were minor signings by other teams that help us out.
While I believe we are eligible (we signed 6 but 3 are on team compared to losing 3), getting a third is difficult.

Signed (to Atlanta):
Ovie Mughelli- 6 years/ 18 million
Joe Horn- 4 years/ 19 million
Marcus Wilkins- 3 years/ 3.5 million

Total: 13 years/ 40.5 million, 19 starts

Also on the bright side I discovered Toniu Fonoti's full first name is Toniuolevaiavea.

Signed (from Atlanta):
Patrick Kerney- 6 years/ 39.5 million
Ashley Lelie- 2 years/ 4.3 million
Justin Griffith- 3 years/ 3.8 million

Total: 11 years/ 47.6 million, 30 starts

I would not say we were completely quiet in free agency. Let us look at last year's teams receiving a third round pick...

San Francisco
Lost
Julian Peterson OLB- 7 years/ 54 million
Andre Carter DE- 6 years/ 30 million
Anthony Clement OT- 3 years/ 5.5 million

Total- 16 years/ 90 million/ lots

Gained
Antonio Bryant WR- 4 years/ 14 million

Total: 4 years/ 14 million/ 14 starts

San Diego
Lost
Drew Brees QB- 6 years/ 60 million
Reche Caldwell WR- ???/ ???
Ben Leber- 5 years/ 20 million
Justin Peele- 3 years/ 4.5 million

Total: 14+ years/ 85+ million/ 45+ starts

Gained:
Marlon McCree S- 5 years/ 16 million
Aaron Shea TE- ???/ ???

Total: 5+ years/ 16+ million / 14+ starts

Indianapolis
Lost
Edgerrin James RB- 4 years/ 30.5 million
David Thornton LB- 5 years/ 22.5 million
Larry Tripplett DT- 5 years/ 18 million
Mike Vanderjagt K- 3 years/ 5.4 million
Total: 17 years/ 77 million/ a lot

Gained:
Adam Vinatieri K- 5 years/ 12 million
Total: 5 years/ 12 million/ 16

Oakland
Lost
Charles Woodson CB- 7 years/ 52 million
Renaldo Hill CB- 3 years/ 6 million
Total: 10 years/ 58 million/ 32 starts

Gained:
Lance Johnstone DE
Total: 2 years/ 4 million??? / 1 start

So comparing...

Falcons Gains to Lost
Plus 2 years, negative 7.2 million, negative 11 starts

San Francisco Gains to Lost
Negative 12 years, 76 million, negative a ton of starts

San Diego Gains to Lost
Negative 9 Years, Negative 69 Millions, Negative 29 Starts

Indianapolis Gains to Lost
Negative 12 years, negative 65 million, negative a ton of starts

Oakland Gains to Lost
Negative 8 years, negative 54 million, negative 31 starts

I really do not see it as all that close. They clearly lost much more than us. The closest (Oakland) still was in worst shape by 10 years, 47 million, and 20 starts. It would take another Patrick Kerney to fill that void.

Now, it is not entirely impossible to get a third round pick. Production was big (but Brees, James, Woodson, and Peterson all produced big as well) for Kerney. Griffith produced as well. But we got some starts from our players and contracts and starts were much worse off for last years 3rd round compensation receiving teams.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Oh, and we lost Kevin Schaffer (7 years, 36 million, 16 starts) last year and Barry Stokes (???/ ???/ ???). We signed nobody who counted towards compensation picks. So the difference was something like 10 years, 40 million, 20 starts. And we only received a 4th round pick.