Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 01-13-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.
Default AFC Championship Game: Chargers vs. Patriots

Well, I didn't think I'd be able to make this thread a couple weeks ago...

It's finally here, and we made it this far, one game away from the Super Bowl. It's gonna take a near perfect performance to knock off the Pats and we're obviously huge dogs, but we were against Indy also...lets hope our boys can do it.

It's gonan be huge to see if LT and Rivers can play. I can't believe I'm saying this but its actually more important Rivers plays I think (I have more faith in MT filling in then Volek), although we'll need both to play great to win.

We're a different team then we were in week 2, but 17-0 isn't something that just happens...lets make it 17-1.

Last edited by JK17 : 01-13-2008 at 11:27 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Well, I didn't think I'd be able to make this thread a couple weeks ago...

It's finally here, and we made it this far, one game away from the Super Bowl. It's gonna take a near perfect performance to knock off the Pats and we're obviously huge dogs, but we were against Indy also...lets hope our boys can do it.

It's gonan be huge to see if LT and Rivers can play. I can't believe I'm saying this but its actually more important Rivers plays I think (I have more faith in MT filling in then Volek), although we'll need both to play great to win.

We're a different team then we were in week 2, but 17-0 isn't something that just happens...lets make it 17-1.
agreed. The advantage of when we are playing this game, (if you can call it that)i believe goes to us. We will have time for our players to heal.. and we will also be facing a team that just played against a very physical jaguars team. In football getting beat up by a physical team doesnt affect the teams as it would in other sports.. but i feel its still a factor. For the most part, some key players kinda had a week off for us.. whereas the pats went head to head with a big strong team.

its kinda silly... but ill take what little optimism i can find.

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/spo...es/018439.html

its an update on the injuries.. basically Rivers has now 2 sprained knees and is day to day.. LT had a hyperextended knee and they'll both be listed as Q but should still play

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/spo...es/018439.html

its an update on the injuries.. basically Rivers has now 2 sprained knees and is day to day.. LT had a hyperextended knee and they'll both be listed as Q but should still play
I guess thats good, I'd expect both to play, but I'm beginning to get worried about Rivers injury issues. It seems every other game he injures a knee :-\...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Florence on Wes Welker is going to be a key matchup this weekend. Florence sucks and Welker is probably the best slot reciever in the league so that's my key matchup. I think Cro and Jammer can hold their own on Moss and Stallworth but Welker will kill us all game if we don't figure something out.
Hope you don't mind, I took this out of the other thread and figured I'd move it in here....

I wouldn't be surprised if we went at them on defense and used Weddle more on Welker. I feel he'll match up better (although a rookie and Welker will certainly get his plays as a veteran), and then they can use Florence to possibly double Moss or elsewhere in coverage. We saw a lot of Weddle in the Colts game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him out there again maybe in place of Wilhelm (to leave the one big run-stopping linebacker in Cooper out there). In running situations, obviously I wouldn't go about this, but I have more faith in Weddle sticking with him then Florence, who can't seem to cover, catch, tackle, or now, after watching Wayne burn him, not getting his ankles broken on every quick juke move, like we might see from Welker. At least Weddle if he lets up a pass is usually right there and on the guy for a good form tackle.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlin...s-to-serve.htm

Saw this on the chargers.com site, thought it was interesting that Humphries is going to be an honorary captain. Someone who has been there before should help to inspire the team to do everything they can. I've never really bought into all that motivation factor, I think once you're out there its just what you've been preparing all week going into action, but who knows....
Old 01-16-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I guess thats good, I'd expect both to play, but I'm beginning to get worried about Rivers injury issues. It seems every other game he injures a knee :-\...

Hope you don't mind, I took this out of the other thread and figured I'd move it in here....

I wouldn't be surprised if we went at them on defense and used Weddle more on Welker. I feel he'll match up better (although a rookie and Welker will certainly get his plays as a veteran), and then they can use Florence to possibly double Moss or elsewhere in coverage. We saw a lot of Weddle in the Colts game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him out there again maybe in place of Wilhelm (to leave the one big run-stopping linebacker in Cooper out there). In running situations, obviously I wouldn't go about this, but I have more faith in Weddle sticking with him then Florence, who can't seem to cover, catch, tackle, or now, after watching Wayne burn him, not getting his ankles broken on every quick juke move, like we might see from Welker. At least Weddle if he lets up a pass is usually right there and on the guy for a good form tackle.

Totally agree! I think Weddle will be in there a lot. I trust him a lot more than Florence that's for sure. Welker on a rookie normally would send up red flags left and right but not when Florence is the alternative. Hopefully that punk won't cost us another win like he did last year against the Pats!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

So lets get some predictions going in this thread... ill start it off

I Have a method to watching games I've developed while following the mets: Assume your gonna lose so if you win its a nice surprise, and if you lose it doesnt kill ya. Lets just say, being a fan of the mets, ive had a lot of practice..

So onto the game. Although I'll acknowledge its not out of the realm of possibilty that we win the game, I just dont see us pulling through. Seeing as how Rivers cant move very well (other injuries too) and we're playing the patriots... i gotta be honest i dont like our chances. Bill Belly is the master at exploiting weaknesses and right now our injuries are like blood in the water.

I'd say we put up a fight but lose 34 - 17 because many early 3 and outs.

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think everyone mans up and plays the game of their life. LT goes nuts and we win by a field goal. 24-21 Nate Keading puts one through and shuts everyone up. Brady tries to pick on the kid and Cromartie gets 2 picks and takes one to the house.

Haha Dream scenario I know but this team is pissed and the Patriots have looked very beatable in games this season. If we can get to Brady EARLY we can hang with them we have a chance. I think it's about containing their offense and hanging with them.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

I think Rivers plays, as does LT, and Gates. I don't think it will be enough in the end, but I don't think its this epic blowout and complete mismatch the media portrays it to be. I'll say a final score we lose maybe 28-20...Ultimately, Bellichek and Brady will exploit our weaknesses...Hart, McCree, and Florence are all terrible in coverage and I expect a lot of quick ones to Welker (if Florence is on him), or a lot of balls thrown at Hart and McCree...

In the end I just don't think we have the fire power. That's not to say I don't give us a chance to win though. Id' say its about 65-70% sure the Pats beat us...leaving us about 3-3.5 chances out of 10 to win the game. We already lost one this year , so make it out of nine haha...its just going to depend how well the offense plays through injuries, and how much we can hide our coverage weaknesses.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we dont need to focus on the deep ball as much and play the short passes, thats what they seem to be doing now, and we need to bring pressure and never give brady an easy throw

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 AM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

I'm interested in seeing how well we actually run the ball against the Patriots. I'm just not sold on our running game contributing anything on offense for us. I think that Rivers needs to have the game of his life for us to win(the injury won't be a problem). I'm also concerned about getting to Brady on defense. We keep telling ourselfs that the key is to attack Brady every time and put him on his ass and hopefully Cotrell will realize that and let em' loose. Brady will kill our zone defenses all game long of we don't blitz often enough.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Last edited by sdpads24 : 01-19-2008 at 01:10 AM.
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:05 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need divine intervention.

But seriously, if Ladainian Tomlinson, the best player in the history of this franchise, wants to truly make his mark and have a signature performance for the ages, Sunday would be a pretty good time to do it. A 150 yard, 3 TD type performance would increase the team's chances of winning exponentially.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sayn a prayer for them tonight...i think they can do it though...it would be one of the greatest upsets ever though

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

So Rivers is expected to play, even with an MCL sprain and a partailly torn ACL (though Rivers and Norv have denied that injury)...that's commendable and that is very important to our success, or lack thereof, today...

Go Bolts!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

QB Charlie Whitehurst, K Dave Rayner, CB Cletis Gordon, CB Paul Oliver, LB Anthony Waters, WR Malcom Floyd, TE Scott Chandler, and NT Brandon McKinney are the Chargers' inactive players.

If Charlie is inactive ... i guess that means rivers will play the whole game

sig by bosanac01

Last edited by Average OT LB : 01-20-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add on
Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
QB Charlie Whitehurst, K Dave Rayner, CB Cletis Gordon, CB Paul Oliver, LB Anthony Waters, WR Malcom Floyd, TE Scott Chandler, and NT Brandon McKinney are the Chargers' inactive players.

If Charlie is inactive ... i guess that means rivers will play the whole game
Yeah, but its scary to think that if Rivers can't finish, and Volek goes down, we are looking at David Binn as our emergency QB...
Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

We were in position to win this game, but lost for three reasons.

First, obviously, settling for field goals instead of TDs those 3 red zone posessions. They got em, we didnt. Turner's failed 3rd and 1 killed us.

Second, field position. As good as Kaeding's field goals were, his kickoffs were terrible. The Patriots consistantly started from around the 40.

Third, bad tackling. It is ironic that we got beat by their run game rather than their pass game, but in the second half of the game our tackling gets bad (that is when Peterson got all his yards). The line gets beat and we have the worst tacking safeties in the league. McCree can lay some wood on an unsuspecting reciever, but I have never seen him win a one on one battle with an RB.

It was a good loss, if there is such a thing. I dont think we beat ourselves. If we were 100% healthy with a healthy MVP on the field, maybe this game goes a different way.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote