Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bears looking at Michael Turner

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ears-headlines

i guess its no surprise. plus, id prefer Turner to spending a high draft pick on another rookie the year after drafting Wolfe in the 3rd and a few years after drafting Benson 4th overall.

my question is how does he fit into the roster if he actually gets signed? Like i said, theres no way Benson or Wolfe get cut with recent investments made into them and i think the other AP is way too much of a special teams beast to cast off...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just playing around with the numbers for a second.

Let's assume Burner Turner can get more than Ahman Green or Dominic Rhodes. Too lazy to work out a specific contract to estimate by, but I think Green cost 4.25 million to the Texans cap this year (1.5 roster, 1.5 base, 1.25 of the signing bonus, so let's guess that Turner takes up, say, 5 million of our cap. We can probably still sign a top OT and leave us with around 8-10 million for this upcoming season.

If we can net a Burner Turner and a Max Starks, that would give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. I'd be all for that.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post

Let's assume Burner Turner can get more than Ahman Green or Dominic Rhodes. Too lazy to work out a specific contract to estimate by, but I think Green cost 4.25 million to the Texans cap this year (1.5 roster, 1.5 base, 1.25 of the signing bonus, so let's guess that Turner takes up, say, 5 million of our cap. We can probably still sign a top OT and leave us with around 8-10 million for this upcoming season.

If we can net a Burner Turner and a Max Starks, that would give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. I'd be all for that.
oh hell, id be happy even just getting starks at RT. like i said, id prefer turner to drafting another RB high too.

if they both get signed, wow...we could go in any number of directions. maybe if one of the WR's really stands out leading up to the draft, we could go that way. Theres no really elite WR's and i think most of the teams ahead of us wouldn't be looking that way...we could have the pick of the litter.

QB is always a possibility too....or maybe a S or DT
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i kinda like what he did yesterday..then again the SD Oline is incredible

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
i kinda like what he did yesterday..then again the SD Oline is incredible
theyre good, i wont argue that, but i think something like them could be assembled easily here to run behind.

McNeil was a 2nd round pick, Deilman was undrafted, Hardwick was a 3rd rounder, goff was a FA from cincy, and Clary was a 6th rounder...nothing overly hard to come by

i think one could be rebuilt out of what the bears have right now. tait and kreutz can stay. bring in a FA RT like starks or draft one high like Otah and add in some new guards or rearrange the ones already there, it can be done reasonably well i think.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure it could be assembled, im just saying i wont put too much hope into turner. Although that guy could be having the same role like Jones.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post

I'd agree. Even if it were Derrick Ward who plays hard and we could probably get even cheaper than Turner. As I'd prefer taking one of the homerun threats in the draft I wouldn't be the slightest upset at getting Turner. Personally I think we should get Starks, a DT for competition (Corey Williams)just incase Dvoracek gets injured a 3rd season (and let Walkers *** go), and possibly look at a QB. Heck if we can get a FA Guard for depth that would also be great. This way we can address Safety(2 of them), RB (if needed), WR (only if Berrian leaves), OG/OT for depth (a definate need), OLB (face it we will need help here), and CB (depth)
Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
oh hell, id be happy even just getting starks at RT. like i said, id prefer turner to drafting another RB high too.

if they both get signed, wow...we could go in any number of directions. maybe if one of the WR's really stands out leading up to the draft, we could go that way. Theres no really elite WR's and i think most of the teams ahead of us wouldn't be looking that way...we could have the pick of the litter.

QB is always a possibility too....or maybe a S or DT
Getting a 1st rnd receiver in this years draft would be the worst. I'd wait until the 2nd and look for a guy like DJ Hall. There are no standout WR's this year and definatelly noone worth spending a 1st rnder on. If we got both of those guys I'd really like to see QB, the Line, Safety, or even another OLB if Briggs can't be signed.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 AM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if we somehow got both Turner and Starks, Angelo would do what he knows best...trade down. Hopefully to the late first where all of the top-end talents really starts to drain away and pick som1 like Hardy/Bowman or Chris Williams/Otah...or now that Oher declared draft him as i believe i read he could play inside for a bit before sliding out. At this point our team is looking really good.
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear89 View Post
if we somehow got both Turner and Starks, Angelo would do what he knows best...trade down. Hopefully to the late first where all of the top-end talents really starts to drain away and pick som1 like Hardy/Bowman or Chris Williams/Otah...or now that Oher declared draft him as i believe i read he could play inside for a bit before sliding out. At this point our team is looking really good.
trading down would be fantastic. pick up a late 20's first rounder and another 2nd or so.....that would be nice

maybe if we traded down like that, and signed starks, we could go with the top guard of the draft. i certainly wouldnt complain about that and since guards rarely go before the 20's, we could probably have whoever we wanted.

and with 2 seconds....hmm.....go QB with one and WR with the other. and with 2 thirds..S and DT?

id be thrilled with a draft like that
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear89 View Post
Haha...we haven't done anything yet.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love it.

Just saying.

Trade Down to the top of the second round really. The first round isn't that important. Talent will be found that we want at the guards and safeties role in the forties. and god. i bet there's quite a few teams well ahead of us that'd like to pick up a mid round slot. meaning i like the chances better to trade to who's worse than us than trade to those below us. meaning. trade #14 to the chiefs so they can pick up a rb. another lineman. someone. (i could also say the same about the rams or dolphins.)

so. give up our first. get another second this year. and another second next year (depending on the team. or a third round pick. or maybe a trade).

i'd say that's a decent strategy for moving down eh?
now. as far as turner and starks. i'd be happy as a clam. i think we can pull it off too.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Haha...we haven't done anything yet.
i meant we'd look good at that point.
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
I love it.

Just saying.

Trade Down to the top of the second round really. The first round isn't that important. Talent will be found that we want at the guards and safeties role in the forties. and god. i bet there's quite a few teams well ahead of us that'd like to pick up a mid round slot. meaning i like the chances better to trade to who's worse than us than trade to those below us. meaning. trade #14 to the chiefs so they can pick up a rb. another lineman. someone. (i could also say the same about the rams or dolphins.)

so. give up our first. get another second this year. and another second next year (depending on the team. or a third round pick. or maybe a trade).

i'd say that's a decent strategy for moving down eh?
now. as far as turner and starks. i'd be happy as a clam. i think we can pull it off too.
well, continuing with the realism theme, while they may be looking at turner, no word yet on whether or not starks peaks anyones interest in the front office.

so if its turner but no starks, i say stay right where we are and take the best available tackle. maybe trade down a few but not out of the first round if tackle is still a need....
Old 01-15-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like Turner as the feature back and I still think Benson can be that guy, but I'd really like a 2 back running game where we focus on grinding it out, and getting Turner would provide us with a 2-back system once again.

Also, I notice Leonard Weaver is a RFA... depending on what type of tender the Seahawks give him (unless it is the highest, they can't get any draft picks since he was a UDFA), I'd really like to see him brought in. He is a great blocker and can run with the ball...

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't like Turner as the feature back and I still think Benson can be that guy, but I'd really like a 2 back running game where we focus on grinding it out, and getting Turner would provide us with a 2-back system once again.

Also, I notice Leonard Weaver is a RFA... depending on what type of tender the Seahawks give him (unless it is the highest, they can't get any draft picks since he was a UDFA), I'd really like to see him brought in. He is a great blocker and can run with the ball...
if a running, blocking full back is a possibility, id love to see schmidt personally....he could be another special teams monster for the bears as well
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post

Its only a matter of time before Benson becomes a name of the past. lol Don't worry Smokey. You will convert soon enough. It's like opening up a xmas present with a box thats the exact size of the video game system you've always wanted to open it and find out you received an Atari 2600 instead. lol
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM    (permalink
k0ng
Rookie

k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.

Turner would be nice, but I would rather spend that money on Berrian and Briggs. This draft class is so stacked that it would be dumb not to draft a RB IMO. Briggs, Berrian, and Mendenhall sounds much more appealing to me.
k0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ng View Post
Turner would be nice, but I would rather spend that money on Berrian and Briggs. This draft class is so stacked that it would be dumb not to draft a RB IMO. Briggs, Berrian, and Mendenhall sounds much more appealing to me.
briggs will be waaay to much money to bring back. let some other team overpay for him.

berrian...i wouldn't be against resigning him but i think there are more speedy receivers available in the draft than possession ones, and resigning him could make our starting receivers too costly to keep both, so i think muhammad would either need restructured or cut...

the only way to get mendenhall would be to take him in the first and doing that would basically be saying that benson was a huge screw up already. signing turner could be passed of as bringing in a guy to make another 2 back system, but drafting another one high and putting up THAT much money in the RB position seems like trouble....
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drafting a runningback in the mid-1st would likely cost less LESS money than signing Turner. The 14th pick in the draft doesn't get that big of a signing bonus, but the best FA runningback will.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Drafting a runningback in the mid-1st would likely cost less LESS money than signing Turner. The 14th pick in the draft doesn't get that big of a signing bonus, but the best FA runningback will.
but lets thing about this from a value standpoint. we ended up with one potential bust of a running back in benson, it could just as easily happen again.

a little more money for a guy whos already proven he can be a capable back in the nfl or a little less for a guy who has yet to take a snap...

if those are the options, just take a RB a few rounds later in this deep, deep draft and lessen the risk
Old 01-16-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
but lets thing about this from a value standpoint. we ended up with one potential bust of a running back in benson, it could just as easily happen again.

a little more money for a guy whos already proven he can be a capable back in the nfl or a little less for a guy who has yet to take a snap...

if those are the options, just take a RB a few rounds later in this deep, deep draft and lessen the risk
I'm not arguing either way. My point was that you said we wouldn't draft a runningback in the 1st round because it would be putting too much money into the position when in fact, signing Turner would cost more money than a 1st rounder.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

well Turner could be a complete bust too, there's never any guarantees in football, Turner being (fairly) successful in San Diego does not mean he'll be successful in Chicago.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM    (permalink
k0ng
Rookie

k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
briggs will be waaay to much money to bring back. let some other team overpay for him.

berrian...i wouldn't be against resigning him but i think there are more speedy receivers available in the draft than possession ones, and resigning him could make our starting receivers too costly to keep both, so i think muhammad would either need restructured or cut...

the only way to get mendenhall would be to take him in the first and doing that would basically be saying that benson was a huge screw up already. signing turner could be passed of as bringing in a guy to make another 2 back system, but drafting another one high and putting up THAT much money in the RB position seems like trouble....
And you don't think we would have to overpay for Turner? I'd rather overpay for Briggs. Briggs means alot to this team, especially in the locker room.
k0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ng View Post
I second that.