Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

Twinblade needs more cowbell.
Default Another Worthless NFL Countdown mock draft.

Matt Ryan? Are you ******* kidding me? Why should we waste a damn first round on some Rex Grossman v2?

I think nfl draft countdown experts has no idea what their talking about.

If we draft Matt Ryan, We are going to be the biggest laughing stock and we would deserve it.
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

no doubt...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys have to admit it would be funny if Matt Ryan ends up being a HoF or wins Rookie of the Year for a team like the Bears or the Ravens. Come on, it would be hilarious!!! =D

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Mock Draft isn't about who diserves to go where based of sheer talent and athleticism. It's about who you think which team will pick. Sometimes teams make stupid picks, this could very well be one of them. Just my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Matt Ryan...

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Matt Ryan for Boston College, I dont know how he'll translate to different game plan on the pro level. I'll reserve my judgement until he shows up in an NFL Stadium planning on playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't mind him. Twinblade is a known troll that has always been patrolling all football forums. He claims he is a Falcons fan, but then again, he is notorious known in most forums for his ignorance.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
Matt Ryan? Are you ******* kidding me? Why should we waste a damn first round on some Rex Grossman v2?

If we draft Matt Ryan, We are going to be the biggest laughing stock and we would deserve it.
You guys are one of the laughing stocks thanks to your former messiah Ron M. with Ryan, you guys would become respectable again.

(oh and don't worry, I'm not putting you guys down, as a Lions fan I know what it's like)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe you should trade your pick for Isaiah Stanbeck then.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post

I thought I was the only one.

And yeah, I've been very disappointed with draft experts this year. The QB and WR rankings have been very poor across the internet. The Glenn Dorsey lovefest is pathetic on every site. It's getting close to Reggie Bush/Vince Young level.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I thought I was the only one.

And yeah, I've been very disappointed with draft experts this year. The QB and WR rankings have been very poor across the internet. The Glenn Dorsey lovefest is pathetic on every site. It's getting close to Reggie Bush/Vince Young level.

I don't like the Grossman comparison at all. Grossman has a cannon. Matt doesn't. He is much more like Harrington.

I can understand the Dorsey love. He is very good when healthy. That cheap block really hurt him. I think the offseason will do justice.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Harrington comparison, likewise, does not make any sense.

1. Harrington played in a system; Ryan played in an NFL-style offense.
2. Harrington never pushed the ball down field; Ryan, to a fault sometimes, will attack the defense vertically.
3. Thirdly, you are underestimating Matt Ryan's arm. It isn't a cannon, per say, but it is above average.

Neither of those comparisons are even close.

ADDITION:

The Grossman comparison, similarly, is not accurate.

1. Matt Ryan is 6'4", Rex Grossman is 6'0", one of the big reasons that Grossman has been so inconsistent is when pressured up the middle he cannot see down field.
2. Once again: Ryan played in Jeff Jagodzinsky's pro-style offense, as opposed to Grossman playing in Spurrier's college offense.

Last edited by Shiver : 01-22-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
You guys have to admit it would be funny if Matt Ryan ends up being a HoF or wins Rookie of the Year for a team like the Bears or the Ravens. Come on, it would be hilarious!!! =D
Or for a team like the Falcons.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We don't have the offensive line of either of those teams. So, again this pick would be a waste. Sorry I know you're all hugged up on Matt Ryan's hangy down parts but to create a winning team we need to build a foundation, the QB isn't that...the lines are.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
ADDITION:

The Grossman comparison, similarly, is not accurate.

1. Matt Ryan is 6'4", Rex Grossman is 6'0", one of the big reasons that Grossman has been so inconsistent is when pressured up the middle he cannot see down field.
2. Once again: Ryan played in Jeff Jagodzinsky's pro-style offense, as opposed to Grossman playing in Spurrier's college offense.
Grossman and Ryan have similar playing styles. Their strengths are their touch on deep passes. Their weaknesses are countless: spotty accuracy, poor decision-making, forcing throws (especially downfield), waiting too long to throw. Ryan is taller and has better pocket presence and mobility so he will be a better player. As passers they are basically identical IMO.

Boston College runs a pro offense? That's news to me. They throw more than almost any team and run most of their plays out of the shotgun. There's only 1-2 offenses in the NFL that share their style of play. Boston College runs professional routes using NFL-level reads (for the most part), but they're far from a pro-style offense. Ohio State and Michigan run pro-style offenses.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

So, basically you're saying that the QB play at BC is a pro style QB play...which is the position we were talking about...but for some reason feel it necessary to say that the offense isn't pro style? Mmmkay.

Beyond that, Ryan is similar to Grossman but not quite as strong of an arm etc...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
We don't have the offensive line of either of those teams. So, again this pick would be a waste. Sorry I know you're all hugged up on Matt Ryan's hangy down parts but to create a winning team we need to build a foundation, the QB isn't that...the lines are.
Ignorant post. I feel like Jake Long is the best pick. I am using logic, that is all.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 01-22-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Grossman and Ryan have similar playing styles. Their strengths are their touch on deep passes. Their weaknesses are countless: spotty accuracy, poor decision-making, forcing throws (especially downfield), waiting too long to throw. Ryan is taller and has better pocket presence and mobility so he will be a better player. As passers they are basically identical IMO.

Boston College runs a pro offense? That's news to me. They throw more than almost any team and run most of their plays out of the shotgun. There's only 1-2 offenses in the NFL that share their style of play. Boston College runs professional routes using NFL-level reads (for the most part), but they're far from a pro-style offense. Ohio State and Michigan run pro-style offenses.
I would say Ryan has very good accuracy, he just makes bad decisions at times.

Grossman lacks great accuracy and makes horrible decisions.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
So, basically you're saying that the QB play at BC is a pro style QB play...which is the position we were talking about...but for some reason feel it necessary to say that the offense isn't pro style? Mmmkay.

Beyond that, Ryan is similar to Grossman but not quite as strong of an arm etc...
Mmmkay....you clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. I won't bother responding to ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I would say Ryan has very good accuracy, he just makes bad decisions at times.

Grossman lacks great accuracy and makes horrible decisions.
The Ryan I've seen has average accuracy...the worst of any of the top QBs in the draft. He missed wide-open receivers across the middle, throws bubble screens inaccurately, and even threw some passes right into the chests of defenders. He has what many call "spotty accuracy", where he throws a bunch right on target and completely misses one, costing his offense. Just looking at the stats alone, you can tell he has accuracy issues by his high # of picks.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Mmmkay....you clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. I won't bother responding to ignorance.

The Ryan I've seen has average accuracy...the worst of any of the top QBs in the draft. He missed wide-open receivers across the middle, throws bubble screens inaccurately, and even threw some passes right into the chests of defenders. He has what many call "spotty accuracy", where he throws a bunch right on target and completely misses one, costing his offense. Just looking at the stats alone, you can tell he has accuracy issues by his high # of picks.
I would say spotty is a good term.

But, my team being Virginia Tech., he has done his fare share of damage. Some thoughts...

Pros:

- Generally smart, knows his reads
- Can get the ball down the field with accuracy
- Good mobility with tackle breaking ability
- Good size
- Good accuracy on short passes
- Generally a good leader

Cons:
- Stubborn, after escaping tackle or sack he often forces the play from outside the pocket. Many of his interceptions come from this.
- Overconfident in his arm strength.
- Refusal to throw the ball away
- Accuracy on intermediate throws, especially the deep crossing route and the deep comeback/ out.
- Tendency to keep the passes short (may be due to receivers), resulting in walked up safties and an ineffective running game (Callender, their RB, is not great though).

Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

That's a great scouting report. I've never seen Ryan break a tackle so I don't know about that point but he has great mobility and pocket presence with surprising elusiveness. Shrugging off a tackle (Culpepper), and avoiding one (Garcia) are two similar but different traits.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I like Matt Ryan...
I like Ryan.... if we trade down to around 10 or so. but top 5? no. the top 5 players in this draft are Chris Long, Jake Long, Darren McFadden, Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey. the only one of those 4 that we don't need is Chris Long. so basically, we won't reach for Ryan. I htink we wait till our first pick of the 2nd and get Flacco, or i nthe 3rd possibly get Booty. epecially if we bring in Norm Chow.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Norm Chow is at UCLA...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh really? I didn't see that

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
oh really? I didn't see that
It was a recent occurence, no worries.

I think Chad Henne makes sense as a guy they can start immediately and groom on the job. That or Josh Johnson as a developmental guy.

sig by BoneKrusher