Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Falcons expected to name Mike Smith head coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3209686

Jaguars Defensive Coordinator...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adios Mike, it's been swell.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sounds good to me. hopefully we bring in Rex Ryan for DC.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
sounds good to me. hopefully we bring in Rex Ryan for DC.

That would be a dream. I'd really prefer to wait for Spags though.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would Ryan be the defensive coordinator in Atlanta when he can take better DC jobs in Baltimore or Miami?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Why would Ryan be the defensive coordinator in Atlanta when he can take better DC jobs in Baltimore or Miami?
Or Jacksonville?

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good point, there's now an opening there.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just hoping the turns out to not be true.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I'm just hoping the turns out to not be true.
I hoping it is.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd be perfectly happy with that guy as our HC...I want a team that will bust people in the mouth leave them bleeding...I like Spags...and I really like typing that...but Mike Smith...sounds like a good strong name to me. I just don't know anything about him...what do those fans from Jax have to say about him?
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I hoping it is.

I'm sure you do. I want an agressive coach like Spags. Smith isn't that.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow if thats 100% true this is such good news for the giants- we could not hav afforded to lose spags

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I'm sure you do. I want an agressive coach like Spags. Smith isn't that.
I really like the scheme he runs. Which is why I want him with the Giants another year. I think the players and assistants really need one more year in the scheme. If we are to lose him after next season, I think a position coach could possibly take over and leave the scheme in place.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am really conflicted. On one hand the Jaguars defense is usually one of the best in the league; however, the last memory I have is of the Jaguars allowing Tom Brady to pick them apart. As long as Smith brings more of the former, I will be happy. The key to the hire is who he brings in as the OC.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good look, Smitty.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think it is funny that Michael Smith is the one breaking the story for ESPN.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this hire though. Atlanta is built for man coverage, they have great CBs, and they have the pieces to be a pretty good blitzing aggressive man coverage 4-3 scheme.

However, Smith runs a lot of zone and Cover 2, something Mora didn't exactly succeed with just prior to having Zimmer there. The fit doesn't make sense to me.

But then again this is Arthur Blank we're talking about. He really has no clue what he's doing. I like Smith, and I like the personality he brings to the team, but unless he changes his scheme to fit the players, I don't like this hire.

As a Giants fan I love it bc Spags has one less place to go to, but for the Falcons, right here right now I question the fit.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Phew.

The Giants offseason would have been made or broken by Spags staying or going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Interesting comments made by former Jag Marcellus Wiley on First Take.

He basically said that Mike Smith was a figurehead in Jacksonville, and that Jack Del Rio and even Mike Peterson were the defensive coordinator more than Mike Smith. He said that no one in the locker room really respected him, and that he was just a guy that stood in the front of the locker room.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:

Last edited by The Unseen : 01-23-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I really like the scheme he runs. Which is why I want him with the Giants another year. I think the players and assistants really need one more year in the scheme. If we are to lose him after next season, I think a position coach could possibly take over and leave the scheme in place.

Screw that, after the Raiders fire Rob Ryan next year we will take whoever is your best defensive assistant, so Spags better stay two more years.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing Mike Singletary is content with staying as a defensive assistant after all.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
just left Baltimore and in Miami there is less D talent than here:

Miami vs. Atlanta

D-line
Taylor vs. Abraham = Push
Traylor/Soliai vs. Lewis/Stanley = Push
Holliday/Wright vs. Coleman/Babineaux = Falcons
Roth vs. Anderson = Falcons
Linebackers
Channing Crowder vs. Michael Boley = Falcons
Zach Thomas vs. Keith Brooking = Push
Joey Porter vs. Demorrio Williams = Dolphins
Secondary
Allen vs. Hall = Falcons
Lehan vs. Houston = Falcons
Goodman/Daniels vs. Irons/Sanders = Dolphins
Worrell vs. Milloy = Falcons
Allen vs. Crocker/Williams = Push

overall advantage is to Atlanta in terms of general defensive personnel. and he just got fired from BALT. I coudl see him coming to Atlanta

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this hire though. Atlanta is built for man coverage, they have great CBs, and they have the pieces to be a pretty good blitzing aggressive man coverage 4-3 scheme.

However, Smith runs a lot of zone and Cover 2, something Mora didn't exactly succeed with just prior to having Zimmer there. The fit doesn't make sense to me.

But then again this is Arthur Blank we're talking about. He really has no clue what he's doing. I like Smith, and I like the personality he brings to the team, but unless he changes his scheme to fit the players, I don't like this hire.

As a Giants fan I love it bc Spags has one less place to go to, but for the Falcons, right here right now I question the fit.
Arthur Blank has a perfectly fine idea of what he's doing. brought in Dimitroff, and now Smith, who should bring in schemers at OC and DC that are smart enough to use our players talents.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Well, he doesn't have much of a choice does he, given that no one in the pros is hiring him for a head coaching job.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
just left Baltimore and in Miami there is less D talent than here:

Miami vs. Atlanta

D-line
Taylor vs. Abraham = Push
Traylor/Soliai vs. Lewis/Stanley = Push
Holliday/Wright vs. Coleman/Babineaux = Falcons
Roth vs. Anderson = Falcons
Linebackers
Channing Crowder vs. Michael Boley = Falcons
Zach Thomas vs. Keith Brooking = Push
Joey Porter vs. Demorrio Williams = Dolphins
Secondary
Allen vs. Hall = Falcons
Lehan vs. Houston = Falcons
Goodman/Daniels vs. Irons/Sanders = Dolphins
Worrell vs. Milloy = Falcons
Allen vs. Crocker/Williams = Push

overall advantage is to Atlanta in terms of general defensive personnel. and he just got fired from BALT. I coudl see him coming to Atlanta
Taylor vs. Abraham = Push? I'd take an aging Taylor over Abraham any day of the week.

Roth vs Anderson = Anderson. Maybe only because Anderson was a rookie. Otherwise I don't think you can that definitively. I wasn't impressed with Anderson at all. I had him pegged for a bust and still do.